Sex therapy?

Has anyone tried seeing a sex therapist? If so, please tell me about your experience. What did they tell you? Did they offer any helpful advice? Was it a complete waste of time?

I'm really curious to find out what they might have to say. And if we're being honest here,I'm still kind of struggling with myself. Just don't know what to think anymore...

Honestly, I a bit curious myself. I would caution though that often health professionals aren't aware of asexuality or other minority orientations, so if you do give it a try, I would strongly recommend finding a sex therapist who either knows already about asexuality, or who is willing to at least read the FAQ here on AVEN to find out about it...

There are a lot of bad stories out there of medical professionals making aces feel broken or not right, if they do not know about us and are not open-minded about finding out. However, there are also a lot of success stories with therapists in general (I don't know anyone who's gone to a sex therapist, honestly) that are open to the idea of asexuality.

I look forward to seeing others' experiences!

Think about this: would a sexual expect sex therapy would be able to turn them into an asexual?

The point is not what we are. The point is that we are who we are, and we're normal for us.

ChainSmokingBob

I personally would not see a sex therapist. Or a therapist (about my asexuality).

I am asexual and am confident I was born this way. I have no reason to have someone speculate as to whether I'm a normal or fully functional human or whether I need to change or not.

It would literally be a waste of time. I don't care for the idea of sex, that's just a fact and it's not up for debate, nor is it something to be fixed, cured or changed.

I want to be a sex therapist someday. In fact, I'm looking into schools to help me achieve this goal.

Sex therapy can actually help asexuals not in a "everyone needs sex" kind of way, but in a "hey I'm in a relationship with a sexual person, what can we do, how can we compromise, is that even on the table" kind of way. Of course you need to find the right therapist but it's not necessarily attempting to cure anything.

• 1 year later...

Hey there,

I have been thinking about trying therapy and checking hormones as well.

I think if I had a libido I would like to have sex with other people.

It would make finding a relationship a bit easier.

Probably the therapy wouldn't change anything, but somehow I would like

to at least have it tried.

So, has anyone experience with sexual therapy stuff here?

It's so expensive :/.

Think about this: would a sexual expect sex therapy would be able to turn them into an asexual?

As a sexual - no, I wouldn't. But done in the right way, I could expect it to help manage sexual relations with my partner by expecting less, if that's what I wanted. We can all change behaviour, within limits, without changing who we are.