Tying your shoelaces (asexuals only)

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you are asexual, did it take you abnormally long to learn to tie your shoelaces into a bow?

• Not applicable - I am not asexual.
    • Yes, I was older than six years old when I learned it (or still haven't learned it).
    • No, I learned it before I was six years old.
    • Don't remember/don't care/other

This poll is closed to new votes

I learned pretty young. But then again I don't really remember so I am assuming in Kindergarten (4-5yrs). Would recall if I learned late.

About 7 or 8, but I suffer from dyspraxia , pesky chromosomes ( too many of them!!)

I don't remember when exactly I learned, but I didn't wear shoes with shoelaces until I was ten, so I don't think I knew before then. When I was six or seven my dad fixed a piece of string onto a piece of wood and made me practice. I couldn't do it.

i had trouble with traditional bows, and i still do the bunny-ears method... (chose "other")

I was 19 when I managed to tie my shoelaces for the first time, and it's still complicated for me, but I have dyspraxia. I guess that it might be more common in asexuals because of the higher number of aspies, and it seems that aspies are more likely to have dyspraxia, from what I read.

I never knew the way I tied my shoelaces was called the bunny ear method. That's so cute! I'm 23 and I still don't know how to do it differently. Since I never understood how to do that, I eventually did it the bunny ear way and was convinced I just discovered something huge on my own. I'm not sure at which age it was, but I know it took me much longer than all the other kids. It's a neuro thing for me, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Pffffb I learned when I was 5 in order to pass a school test, but it was short lived and I didn't permanently know what I was doing until around 7 or 8. I still use the beginners method to tying my shoes (almost 17 now). I don't understand the method that I see everyone else using.

Tying knots is definitely not my forte. I know I was above 6 when I learned how to tie laces on my own.

Yeah, I remember my first grade teacher yelling at me because I couldn't tie my own shoelaces. I tried and had people show me over and over, but I just couldn't get it for the life of me. I was probably seven years old before I could do it at all, and only then because I found a big cardboard book with the shoelaces inside, you know, for little kids, that showed you how to do the bunny ears method. To this day (I'm almost 21) I can't do it the "normal" way. I had a neuropsyche evaluation recently and was actually asked if I'd ever had trouble tying my shoelaces, but I never did find out what it meant. Before then, I'd never heard of anyone else having this problem.

I also can't tie other knots, like the ones I need to string a guitar, and I've never been able to snap my fingers. I figured that's all the same thing.

• 2 months later...

I could never get the hang of trying my shoes using the "traditional" method. My teachers tied my shoes for years until someone thought to show me the bunny ears method. Unbelievable.

Squirrel Combat

I learned when I was about seven or eight. But now I wear sandals all the time, so I don't really tie shoes very often.

• 1 month later...
drjohnhwatson

I don't remember how long it took me to learn. I know at one point I was in Elementary School and my shoelaces were untied and I tried so hard to tie them and I couldn't and I was in tears when I asked some lady teacher to help me. She was really kind about it.

My dad sat me down one evening and forced me to learn. It took hours. It just took forever. He kept repeating that little rhyme and showing me and kept telling me to do it but I just couldn't do it and he got all snappy and angry about it.

So it did take me awhile, but I don't know if it was before or after I was six years old.

:huh:.

I don't think it took me an abnormally long time, but I think I was in like.... first or second grade when I got it. Unless I'm remembering some weird dream as a kid before I understood the difference between dreams and reality, I remember doing it while at lunch one day and being really happy. xDa

Interesting to see how many people have this problem with knots as well... I also never learned to do the traditional knot, so my mom taught me the "bunny ear" method when I was young and that's the way I've always tied my shoes and probably the way I always will. I've tried learning the other one many times but I just can't get it right.

I don't untie my shoes. They are always tied and just slip my feet in and out of them.

Because, seriously, who has the time to tie shoes?

• 2 weeks later...
mischevious_koala

I have mild Asperger's so my motor skills weren't exactly up to scratch as a kid. It took me until I was 10 to tie shoelaces and I remember being so excited and wanting to show everybody when I finally learnt. Before that, I was wearing leather kids boots to school

I was in the 5th grade, actually. I'm still not the best at it. :P

Yeah, I didn't get the hang of shoelaces until I was around 12-13. But, I hardly ever wear shoes anymore anyways.

I don't untie my shoes. They are always tied and just slip my feet in and out of them.

If I *have* to wear shoes, I vastly prefer ones where I can comfortably do this.

I still do the bunny ears thing :) just tie two loops into a simple knot. Once I'd learned that way I just couldn't see the interest in learning another. Most girl shoes have zippers nowadays anyway >_>

Huh. This was a sore point for me in primary school. I remember switching schools to discover I was the only person in my grade who didn't know how to do it. I wonder if there really is a statistically significant difference between ace and non-ace populations.

Huh. This was a sore point for me in primary school. I remember switching schools to discover I was the only person in my grade who didn't know how to do it. I wonder if there really is a statistically significant difference between ace and non-ace populations.

It is usually a more autistic thing to be unable to tie shoes and those in the autistic spectrum are more likely to be non-hetero, but I do not know that there is any relation to asexual and tying shoes.

I don't recall exactly when I learned. At some point in kindergarten I think. I remember the teacher having thus wooden box thing with ropes/large laces for us to practice on, and I remember the teacher tying my shoe at times. To this day I still can only do bunny ears, though. Icannot do the know with one loop.

Nope no trouble at all. That said i have never in my life been able to tie with the bunny ears method, I didn't learn that way and I still find it excessivly difficult.

This is a strange correlation :D

However, I was kind of a child prodigy when it came to shoelacing. I learned how to lace them when I was 1 year old (which is quite rare because the fingers are not that developed and motorical yet). I wasn't that in control of other parts of my body; somehow I just got obsessed with shoelacing after watching other people doing it so I've spent days or weeks (my parents don't remember because they got annoyed over it :D) trying to tie a rope around everything in our house. After I learned, I became the official shoelacer for all of the kids in my kindergarten.

• 3 weeks later...
threecheersforsweetrevenge

I'm not even going to pretend that I have any idea how to the my shoes properly. I'm 14 and I still do the bunny ears thing, with no intention of stopping any time soon.

Archived