Tying your shoelaces (asexuals only)

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you are asexual, did it take you abnormally long to learn to tie your shoelaces into a bow?

• Not applicable - I am not asexual.
    • Yes, I was older than six years old when I learned it (or still haven't learned it).
    • No, I learned it before I was six years old.
    • Don't remember/don't care/other

This poll is closed to new votes

Since I'm old now and terrified about falling, I tie my shoelaces twice, so if I happen to step on an end, it doesn't pull out so easily. Then at night I lean over and swear a bloody streak trying to get them untied, cursing myself for my falls terror, and feeling as childish as I did when I couldn't tie them. But then I reflect that I didn't fall that day, and feel (only slightly) better.

Since I'm old now and terrified about falling, I tie my shoelaces twice, so if I happen to step on an end, it doesn't pull out so easily. Then at night I lean over and swear a bloody streak trying to get them untied, cursing myself for my falls terror, and feeling as childish as I did when I couldn't tie them. But then I reflect that I didn't fall that day, and feel (only slightly) better.

Why not just get Velcro, snap on, or slide on? I feel as though tie shoes are outdated at best, there are many easier faster alternatives.

Why not just get Velcro, snap on, or slide on? I feel as though tie shoes are outdated at best, there are many easier faster alternatives.

Because not all shoes I like are Velcro, etc. I don't care whether they're outdated or not.

Because not all shoes I like are Velcro, etc. I don't care whether they're outdated or not.

I guess. Sometimes I forget some people where things for fashion, rather than function. Like ties and button up shirts and ripped jeans and stuff. I am more a for function type person, any look I might like is just a bonus, though generally I do not care.

When I was little, I had a Mickey Mouse toy that was designed to help children use such attaching contraptions like shoelaces. He had a laced shoe on one foot, a velcro shoe on the other, a button down shirt, and possibly a zip somewhere. I don't know if having it contributed to me learning to tie my shoelaces, as I don't remember actually tying the toy's shoelaces, but I did have it, so it seemed worth a mention.

I do remember when I tied my own shoes for the first time though. I was at the beach house with my family, and we were getting ready to go out. I sat behind the bed for a while, trying to tie them, until finally, I did it, and I jumped up from behind the bed and showed my parents.

I never used the bunny-ears method, and actually don't remember anyone else I know using it. It never seemed practical for actually keeping things tied up to me. I only ever use it now to tie bows on dresses and presents and things like that, as the loops end up much more even.

I actually feel the opposite. Most shoes I see are lace-ups, with the exception of high heels and boots. I've even seen lace-up heels that are a cross between sandals and boots.

I actually feel the opposite. Most shoes I see are lace-ups, with the exception of high heels and boots. I've even seen lace-up heels that are a cross between sandals and boots.

I should have phrased it better. By outdated, I meant something that is no longer necessary and is only purely for fashion now, like ties. button up shirts, the little tiny shoe pockets for only dimes and pennies, and those little pockets made just for pocket watches.

I didn't learn to tie my shoes until late 3rd grade...maybe even after 3rd grade. The way people are typically taught confused me and still does. I have to do the bunny ears thing. I cannot do it the other way.

Velcro? You didn't have any of that fancy stuff when i was little!! ;)

Crazy ManMan, on 11 Jul 2014 - 7:49 PM, said:

I should have phrased it better. By outdated, I meant something that is no longer necessary and is only purely for fashion now, like ties. button up shirts, the little tiny shoe pockets for only dimes and pennies, and those little pockets made just for pocket watches.

Yeah, but people wear things because they like them, not just because they're necessary or high-fashion.

I was ten before I learned, and I'm still not very good at it.

I think I picked this skill up when I was 4 or 5. Although my most vivid memory associated with all that is being rewarded an 'i can tie shoelaces' sticker by a teacher because I drew shoelaces in a picture rather than performing the act. I went home with said sticker on my collar and was asked to perform in front of parents and grandparents and FAILED. Oh the shame..

I actually watched a documentary about tying shoes recently (Yeah I know what you are saying/thinking, but what can I say, I am a knowledge addict), I did not know there was anybody so interested in shoe laces and I had no idea that there were so many different effect ways of doing it or that the lacing was so important. Also apparently the more comfortable a shoe it, the worse it is for your feet. Barefoot is apparently best, but just very basic shoes are okay as well.

I was very little when I learned, although I learned the bunny ears method (which I still do) and all my friends did it some other weird way which I did learn but have since forgotten :)

I was always a really fast learner, and in kindergarten I actually taught myself several ways to tie my shows other than how my parents initially taught me. Of course, it was still a pain in the ass and even to this day I avoid tying my shoes if I can, but I knew how.

Actually, I've always hated shoes anyway. Barefoot is the way to go.

I learned the "bunny ear method" when I was 7, and just last month I finally figured out the "proper" way. My little sister tried to show me the proper way so many times and I never got it, then one day I just kind of did it on my own. So yeah, bunny ears at age 7, proper shoelace-tying 10 years later. Guess you could say I'm a bit slow. xD

• 1 month later...

I learned to tie my shoes just fine but I didn't tie them tight enough so my dad would get impatient and tie them for me until I was between 8 and 10 it think

Never had trouble with shoelaces. Horrible at math. Don't take hints very well. I don't believe it has anything to do with asexuality.

i was [not applicable] years old when i learned to tie my shoelaces

NamelessAnonymous

I taught myself and I tie my shoes differently from most people - I make 2 loops and tie them together

I taught myself and I tie my shoes differently from most people - I make 2 loops and tie them together

Whoa, I thought I was the only one :)) . And I learnt that when I was about 7. But what's the big deal about it, in any case? ;d

I grasped the concept of tying my shoes at about 4 years old. However I'd always get distracted when the bunny went down the hole and suddenly turned into a spaceship.

needless to say, getting me ready to go to school and outside took way longer than it should of if i were to do it on my own.

(I still have horrible ADD).

I learned to tie my shoes... before I can even remember. My brother, who is three years older, couldn't tie his shoes when we were kids so he wore velcro (he's sexual). He didn't get non-velcro shoes til he was 10? 11? I forget.

verily-forsooth-egads

Funny thing, I still don't tie my shoes. I usually do up the laces in some crazy knot and then leave them that way for as long as I have the shoes. Of course I know how to tie a bow, though.

Wow, interesting. I wonder if this truly is a correlation and why. I was in the third grade before I could tie my shoes myself, and only after my brother showed me how to do it over and over.

I was four. It was taught in preschool. I had some difficulty remembering how to get it tied with the loop. (I never learned the bunny ear thing until much later and consider that method more tedious.) I had some sort of book at home for things like tying laces, buttons, counting, I dunno. Preschool aged stuff. It was an interactive book in the sense that everything was tangible. I actually remember the first time I tied my shoes completely by myself successfully. I was outside walking in and had to stop and get out of line to tie my shoe. I was worried I wouldn't get it and had some anxiety about leaving the line - I'm not sure if I thought I'd get in trouble for holding them up or that I'd be left outside or what, but I thought I had to get my shoe tied quickly. It later came undone, I think, but it held for a while and I never had problems after that.

Don't remember, but no one has remarked that I was on either end of the extreme. I like to think I was around average age when I learned.

Archived