Things that you now do (with a few more miles on the clock) that you wouldn't have when you were younger.

DexM

You know the things, like going to bed before 11:00 p.m. :lol:

It is, in all seriousness, something that I have become more aware of. Some of the things, I wasn't sure if it was down to conserving time and energy or if it was down to being a little more sensible. The day that you realise that the creak in your knees just isn't going to go away and that the aching back isn't from mopping the floor (although it is really, just a combination of every floor mopping) you also realise that carrying a big heavy weight up the stairs, in the dark, isn't a good idea.

And that very same example, me carrying a 20 pound weight disc up the stairs, but with the light on, is when I realised I was doing things differently.

Anyone else feel the same and anyone else care to share?

catsaregood

It now takes me about a week to get over being out till the early hours - so I do that as little as possible! I'm the wowser who goes home early now :D :P

Too Old for this Site

Unlike when I was younger, I'm much more likely to say exactly what is on my mind these days. I still use manners (most of the time), and refrain from saying things that would serve no other purpose than to embarrass someone or hurt someone's feelings, of course. But I'm much more likely than when I was younger to express my opinion about whatever is going on in the moment, and not worry about what anyone thinks. Quite liberating.

Kitty Spoon Train

Life's too short for drama to do it any more.

I skateboard more than I used too but more longboard that trick short boards, walk more than use a bike and ride a bike more than using the car. I also spend a lot less time worrying about who and what I am realising just how much time I wasted doing so as a yoof

I have also found that I get annoyed at kids that are causing trouble. Kids who throw stones over the wall or kids who are up to general mischief. I now have the ability to admonish them. "Clear off ya buggers. Go throw stones at your own house." Things like that ^_^ You feel as though you have a presence, a level of authority and duty, and that just wasn't there in my younger years.

Since I became disabled from the military I have to do a lot of things in a different way. I use a walker most days and a cane when it's a better option. I have to be real careful about how I go about doing most any activity and I need to lay down every few hours.

I also never liked taking medicine of any kind, but now I have both my pain meds and I take a daily vitamin. I never would have even considered vitamins when I was younger.

I'm also a lot more fed up with loud noise from neighbors. I frequently call the cops if there's prolonged loud noise that doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon.

I'm on a low carb, low sodium diet as well, and I only sparingly eat dessert-like things anymore. Any kind of structured eating regimen just wasn't a thing when I was younger...

There are probably other things I could add, but that's all that I can come up with off the top of my head.

slippydooz

"Popular" music, piped into offices, grocery stores, anywhere it is desired to cover up the silence most people find so uncomfortable. Ubiquitous trash that offends me deeply. I can tolerate classical these days, and little else.

I can relate to how annoying the canned music is - its everywhere. I have come to really appreciate silence.

kiaroskuro

I have also found that I get annoyed at kids that are causing trouble. Kids who throw stones over the wall or kids who are up to general mischief. I now have the ability to admonish them. "Clear off ya buggers. Go throw stones at your own house." Things like that ^_^ You feel as though you have a presence, a level of authority and duty, and that just wasn't there in my younger years.

I feel like doing this every so often, but I look too young to actually radiate authority. Someone who looks like a kid isn't really intimidating or awe-inspiring. Damn. I wish I looked my age.

I find that I really enjoying taking a nap, unlike when I was young and hated them. I also find that the older I get, the more introverted I am becoming. I'm not a total hermit or anything, but I love being at home and really enjoy my peace and quiet. And the days of staying out late and partying are almost all gone, because it takes too long to recover from a night of hard drinking. I now have the courage to speak my mind and stand up for anyone I see that is getting talked down to, bullied or treated badly. And yes, mopping the floor and other general home cleaning duties, not only take a bit longer, but lead to a lot of little aches and pains that didn't used to happen.

Oh, SO many things. Most importantly, I learned that I know absolutely nothing. The more I know, the more I'm sure I don't know anything. And I also know that anyone who claims to know everything is a complete idiot.

I learned that anything you claim you would never do, in a million years, you could very well do if the poo hit the fan. You know nothing about what you are capable (or incapable) of until you're there.

I learned that prejudice based on race, sex, religion or anything else is stupid because the older I get, the more people I meet, and the more people I meet, the more the stereotypes are proven wrong.

I learned that too much loud music and too many drugs do in fact damage your ears and brain in the future.

I learned to drive as if everyone else on the road had their head up their ass. The more accidents you have seen/been in and the more pull-overs you've seen/been in, the slower you get, without even meaning to. Never thought I'd see myself driving the speed limit.

I learned that I could search the whole world over and never find anyone who needs my love more than I do. (OK paraphrasing from The Buddha). But more importantly, I am better off alone than with people who make me feel the least bit bad about myself. Life is too short to be taking anyone else's shit for one second.

I find that I really enjoying taking a nap, unlike when I was young and hated them. I also find that the older I get, the more introverted I am becoming. I'm not a total hermit or anything, but I love being at home and really enjoy my peace and quiet. And the days of staying out late and partying are almost all gone, because it takes too long to recover from a night of hard drinking. I now have the courage to speak my mind and stand up for anyone I see that is getting talked down to, bullied or treated badly. And yes, mopping the floor and other general home cleaning duties, not only take a bit longer, but lead to a lot of little aches and pains that didn't used to happen.

I spent the most important early years of my life with severe mental health problems. I took a lot of medication and would nap throughout the day. I really enjoyed it. It was necessary as I probably wouldn't have got through the day and it was only the first few months of napping that I felt embarrassed about it. Now, at the age of 36, I don't take any afternoon naps and I really miss the joy and comfort that they bring :)

@androyd- It does take a little bit of confidence. I found that shouting at the young 'uns when I myself was one/looked like one, was a little unconvincing. But there comes a day when you just feel like you have that authority and you assert in an adult way. It's very cathartic.

I find that I am unable to go out partying two nights in a row now, not even sure when that happened, it kinda crept up on me.

My 'brain power' is diminishing almost by the day. I used to be intelligent but now - it's very much the 'not the sharpest knife in the box'. I feel sad sometimes.

catsaregood

Haven't seen any evidence of that, Tanwen! :P

I was never into partying or loud music or drugs or a lot of the other things my peers were into when we were all young, so a lot of that hasn't changed. The main thing that has changed is that I'm much less self-conscious and more self-confident about my quirks and who I am and less concerned about what other people might think (as long as they don't bother me). So basically, I'm more comfortable in being myself.

@androyd- It does take a little bit of confidence. I found that shouting at the young 'uns when I myself was one/looked like one, was a little unconvincing. But there comes a day when you just feel like you have that authority and you assert in an adult way. It's very cathartic.

I know! The cathartic effect shouldn't be underestimated. I also came to realise that 'assuming command' of my primary-school pupils (I give extra lessons) works best when I just pretend to be a strict, mean old person. Erm ... I mean a person of authority :p Trying out new behaviours really helps.

I know! The cathartic effect shouldn't be underestimated. I also came to realise that 'assuming command' of my primary-school pupils (I give extra lessons) works best when I just pretend to be a strict, mean old person. Erm ... I mean a person of authority :P Trying out new behaviours really helps.

:lol:

I imagine primary school kids will see younger teachers and assume that they're not so far away from them. We often gave younger looking teachers a hard time as you sensed their lack of experience. A few wrinkles, bags under the eyes and a slightly more "matured" gait, can often be the difference between ridicule and respect.

@Xavy- I don't think I could ever go out two nights in a row :P

I also find myself being more emotional with things. Music, films, sad scenes etc. and I had been wondering why this was. I was pretty emotionless for ten years, feeling nothing but sadness, apathy and guilt. When my emotions came flooding back, it was hard to know what to do and how to act. Although that has died down I still get weepy. And I found it embarrassing. But then I realised that the things I got emotional about were associations of memories. Listening to a song, watching a film, identifying with the actors in a scene, and I realised it was a very simple case of remembering everything that had gone before that. Whether that was listening to a song that I had always listened to or watching the devastation of being given some unexpected hospital news.

I know that probably sounds simple, maybe even obvious, but it was always the little things, the easy things, in life that I struggled with.

Life's too short for drama to do it any more.

Or to put up with other people's.

I used to let myself get drawn in and sympathize with whatever anyone brought to my door. But at some point I realized that there are people with real problems who are trying to get better, and there are people who will always have problems and seem to enjoy them - and love drawing people into their drama. Those I've learned to say no to. Whew!

I imagine primary school kids will see younger teachers and assume that they're not so far away from them.

True. And I don't feel so far away from them, either. I guess I get along with children so well because I’m quite childlike myself. Maybe I’ve never really got used to being an adult in some respects. On the downside, that’s the reason why I have to make an effort to appear more grown-up and assertive.

And here’s another thing that changed over the years: I love reading Dostoyevsky and discussing the Middle East conflict, but there are times when I'm tired of all that heavy stuff. I often feel like doing childish things, like building snowmen and watching cartoons, and I can finally do so (mostly) without feelings of shame or guilt. It’s not a guilty pleasure, it’s pure pleasure!

I can relate Moonchaser - now when people bring their problems to me I need to see traction.

I imagine primary school kids will see younger teachers and assume that they're not so far away from them.

True. And I don't feel so far away from them, either. I guess I get along with children so well because I’m quite childlike myself. Maybe I’ve never really got used to being an adult in some respects. On the downside, that’s the reason why I have to make an effort to appear more grown-up and assertive.

And here’s another thing that changed over the years: I love reading Dostoyevsky and discussing the Middle East conflict, but there are times when I'm tired of all that heavy stuff. I often feel like doing childish things, like building snowmen and watching cartoons, and I can finally do so (mostly) without feelings of shame or guilt. It’s not a guilty pleasure, it’s pure pleasure!

I have started appreciating/respecting Dostoyevsky, foreign wars and the like, a lot more. I pay more attention now and feel better for it. I remember the chats that my family had at dinner time during the the first Iraq war. I was clueless, also only 12, but I felt angry that I didn't have a clue or barely understood. Now, I can reel of the tensions in Afghanistan, Israel, Iran, Syria etc. and know what I am talking about, while boring my mum silly over Kafka's Metamorphosis ^_^ I think that all the bad stuff, the wars, misery, pain and suffering build up and you need a release. Cartoons, snowmen, action figures and the like, all unacceptable back in the day, are great for letting go and I loathe anyone who gives it the old high and mighty "Grow up" line.

Interesting about the drama's. I enjoy helping people out. Certain people anyway, as I do agree with the drama Queens and their woe is me attitude, but I do like doing what I can for those I can, where as in the past I would have walked away.

Cartoons, snowmen, action figures and the like, all unacceptable back in the day, are great for letting go and I loathe anyone who gives it the old high and mighty "Grow up" line.

I find it so annoying that people expect you to do certain things at a certain age … When I was in primary school, I read books on ecology and physics (yes, I was that weird) :P . Now I delight in doing things that some may consider as childish, like I said before.

The people I admire most – and those are the ones who presumably lead happy lives – are the ones who don’t care what other people think.

By the way: Were you talking about the First Gulf War in the 80’s, Dex? I’m quite ashamed of how little I know about it, especially since some relatives of mine have most probably been affected. But I was way too young back then to really grasp what was going on.

It seems most of my conversations are about health problems. I've turned in to the cliche 'old fart' :P

I've been losing words lately. Having to think and think and forgetting the right word.

Most of what I talk to people about these days seems to either revolve around health issues, the military (which ties into health issues most times), and my business.

I used to be all about gaming, but that has slacked down considerably over the years. I can still go for hours at a time, but it's only after I've gotten more important things out of the way every day. Business, then chores, then gaming.

It seems most of my conversations are about health problems. I've turned in to the cliche 'old fart' :P

I've been losing words lately. Having to think and think and forgetting the right word.

^_^ I have to try and reprimand myself when I let out a little "Arghh!" or "Owww!" I do not want to fall in to the category of a painful old whinger. Because of my baby faced, youthful looks (A nurse was adamant that her and I attended the same school, quite dismayed that I was sure we didn't, and upon learning the 13 year age gap she still was doubtful of my honesty) whenever I do complain about an aching back, creaky knee or sore elbow, I get the old "But you're too young to have those sort of things." :P

@Spot- The gaming scene is something I never do anymore. I could never thing when I was younger that I wouldn't play games. They're so in depth these days and I find it exhausting just getting through the intro.

@androyd- The first Gulf War, yeah, the one in 1991. No need to be ashamed :) It just didn't factor in your life at the time and it is that innocence of child hood that I have wanted to capture in these posts.

Because of my baby faced, youthful looks (A nurse was adamant that her and I attended the same school, quite dismayed that I was sure we didn't, and upon learning the 13 year age gap she still was doubtful of my honesty) whenever I do complain about an aching back, creaky knee or sore elbow, I get the old "But you're too young to have those sort of things." :P

These kind of things happen to me all the time! Not so long ago, a girl came up to me and asked me to fill in a questionnaire. I handed it back to her, pointing out that only teens aged 14-21 were supposed to take the survey. Then I told her my age. You should have seen the poor girl's face, she was so puzzled and embarrassed :D

Archived