Food Analogy

Luna394

So I'm trying to create a good food analogy for describing the complexities of sexuality to people. Let me know how you think this works. Feel free to tell me to add on if I missed something, or correct me if i'm wrong. ^_^ There is still plenty that I don't know and I'd love to learn :)

Sexual orientation = specific dessert craving.

Sex = eating the dessert

Looking at it = appreciating that someone is attractive.

Making the dessert = desire to know the person romantically (dating) Romantic orientation

Hunger = sex drive/ libido

Heterosexual = I only crave cake. Even if I’m not hungry right now I the thought of eating cake makes me happy.

Hetero-romantic = I only want to make cake.

Homosexual = I only crave pie. Even if I’m not hungry right now I the thought of eating pie makes me happy.

Homo-romantic = I only want to make pie

Bisexual = I like both desserts, not necessarily for the same reasons but I like them both.

My version of bisexuality/ my attraction: I like cake, but I prefer making it and how it looks. I could eat cake, but it would probably upset my stomach. I love pie. I enjoy making, looking at, and eating pie.

Bi-romantic = I like making both cake and pie

Pansexual = I don’t have a favorite dessert, I enjoy all types of dessert.

Pan-romantic = I enjoy making all sorts of desserts.

Asexual = I don’t get dessert cravings. I still get hungry, but I don’t have a dessert that I crave. I would rather make the dessert and look at it, than eat it.

• Demi-sexual = I don’t get cravings for the dessert unless I’ve made it many times and know the recipe well. I only crave the individual dish not the dessert universally. ( in this sense making can be getting to know someone either romantically or platonically)
  • Gray-asexual = I very rarely get dessert cravings, but I will once in a while when I see a (insert preferred dessert here) that looks very appetizing to me.
  • Aromantic = I’d rather not make dessert. *some may still have dessert cravings*

*disclaimer* Romantic and sexual orientations don't always line up. For example someone might enjoy making all types of desserts, but only crave and enjoy eating pie.

The Flatworm

I use the analogy of pets.

Heterosexual: I (want to) own a dog.

Heteroromantic: I like petting/playing with other people's dogs, but I don't want one (poop).

Homosexual: I (want to) own a cat.

Homoromantic: I like cats.

Bisexual: I (want to) own both.

Biromantic: I like both.

Pansexual: I want to own both at the same time.

Asexual: I don't want to own a pet.

Aromantic: Pets may be cute, but I don't like playing with them.

But I have a dog!

Hummm...... Food is something you need to survive, but sex you dot need to survive, also, sexual orientation is something you are born with that last your entire life, not so with a food craving. I don't think its a good analogy, but if it helps someone to understand asexuality better then fine.

Would perhaps relating it to dessert be better? You don't need desert to survive, but for those who enjoy it adds happiness to their lives.

*edit* I just reworded the original post to be relating only to dessert. Not food in general.

Ok, I like the dessert analogy better :)

biace_inyourface

I just recently came up with a sports analogy to explain how I feel about sex since it's also an activity. Like, I don't have anything against baseball and I can see how some people would really like it but I don't really want to play it. If someone really wanted me to play with them, I would but I would probably get bored and tired and want to stop partway through. Sometimes it can be fun to watch a game, which is very different from participating. Also, playing baseball by myself can be fun sometimes because I can make it whatever I want it to be and can stop whenever I want. I've taken the analogy further to cover all my bases (pun intended :) ).

I also really like your desert analogy!

Archived