You know you are aromantic if/when...

confused&lost

I was watching a talk show today that features 5 ladies. They discussed in length their first crushes and then kisses. One lady asked her co-hosts if they remember drawing their names in hearts next to their crushes names. And if they ever pictured how their name would be if they took their crush's last name.

Uh...I never doodled a heart in my notebook with the name of a crush. I don't think I've ever even had a crush, and hearing little things like that I feel support this fact.

When you like someone and enjoy looking at them, but can't imagine being with them that or that way.

mangosandpinapples

When your feelings towards your romantic partners are the same feelings you get when you see a kitten.

When you like someone, you actually want them to friendzone you.

When you imagine someone calling you their romantic partner and u want to throw up.

When you get extremely uncomfortable every time you say "I do" as a response to a question.

When the concept of drawing a line between friendship and romance seems gross and awkward.

When you think romance is a social construct.

charliemcphee

when people ask who you want to date and you have to name somebody at random who you think couldn't possibly like you in that way (and then panic when they actually would like to date you)

When you get extremely uncomfortable every time you say "I do" as a response to a question.

I love this one! Happened to me frequently enough that I started looking for other ways to say it.

When your friend is complaining about having never been kissed, and your gut reaction would be to say "kissing sucks; if I could I'd give you all of mine".

Emerald Green

When you always wonder how anyone could have a breakup/get back together/repeat relationship and actually love each other.

mangosandpinapples

I love this one! Happened to me frequently enough that I started looking for other ways to say it.

Omg I thought it was just me lol

I could never bring myself to describe the time I was spending with anyone as "dating" and I couldn't bring myself to describe anykne as my "girlfriend" even though friends, family and even the person may have had a different view. I just couldn't relate to words like dating, girlfriend, relationship, courting, etc.

When you drew hearts on your arms in high school and wrote "I love..."

...Followed by the name of your great aunt!

I was watching a talk show today that features 5 ladies. They discussed in length their first crushes and then kisses. One lady asked her co-hosts if they remember drawing their names in hearts next to their crushes names. And if they ever pictured how their name would be if they took their crush's last name.

Uh...I never doodled a heart in my notebook with the name of a crush. I don't think I've ever even had a crush, and hearing little things like that I feel support this fact.

This is hilarious because I would see this in tv shows all the time! I've never actually seen anyone do it though. I always wrote my own name in the margin and yes this included drawing a heart around it.

My contribution: You know you're aromantic when all your childhood "crushes" were fictional....and cartoons.

Luckily I never really had to deal with the "who do you crush on" questions because all my friends loved the same show and we all had a crush on fictional characters. (Also luckily I never heard "blah blah in this show is cute right?" it was more like "this relationship is cute right?" and I was quick to answer. I love romance. (I'm surprised to read all the romanced repulsed people on here actually.)

This is hilarious because I would see this in tv shows all the time! I've never actually seen anyone do it though. I always wrote my own name in the margin and yes this included drawing a heart around it.

My contribution: You know you're aromantic when all your childhood "crushes" were fictional....and cartoons.

Luckily I never really had to deal with the "who do you crush on" questions because all my friends loved the same show and we all had a crush on fictional characters. (Also luckily I never heard "blah blah in this show is cute right?" it was more like "this relationship is cute right?" and I was quick to answer. I love romance. (I'm surprised to read all the romanced repulsed people on here actually.)

The only time I ever wrote a heart in the margins of my school work, it was "James x Lily", referencing Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix/Snape's Worst Memory when James scribbles on his exam paper XD.

I think I am more on the aromantic side because:

• after reading about squishes in this forum I have discovered that my two crushes were actually squishes
  • I had forced myself to think about who I would be OK to date (social standards and peer pressure sucks)
  • I had questioned myself constantly why do people want to be in relationships
  • as some people above I have never drawn hearts in my notebooks or anything remotely similar
  • (I don't know if this is more of an asexual trait but since I am making a list here it goes) I had copied my friend's list of celebrity crushes

Also my autocorrect wants to correct aromantic to aromatic constantly, which is not really nice...

Also my autocorrect wants to correct aromantic to aromatic constantly, which is not really nice...

I used to get that all the time when I first joined. After being on AVEN for almost year now though I think my phone is finally starting to get the hang on treating aromantic as a real word :lol:

When what you like about Twilight is not the romantic story the whole plot of the books revolves around, but the idea of fantastic. When you'd like to be transformed into a vampire not for "eternal love", but for the mere reason that being young, immortal and having great physical strength is something you find extraordinary xD.

Apparently when the last thing you care about in a game is how to enter a relationship with another character... My best friend recently started playing Dragon Age: Origins and yesterday she revealed that she already looked up with whom her avatar could enter a relationship. I hardly think the majority of romantic gamers do that but it was still amusing to note that this was precisely the only thing she bothered to look up. :)

Feeling the strong need to correct people, when they unexpectedly seem to think you are in a relationship with someone.

Maybe there is no actual connection at all, but it kinda makes sense to me now, why the thought of me being in a releationship kind of always seems to throw me. Someone was once kidding about me having a girlfriend and I didn't get that it was supposed to be a joke (it was really not obvious in my opinion :P ) and I then very adamantly told them that I'm really not seeing anyone. The suggestion appearently made me slighly freak out and it was not about my supposed partner being a girl. :rolleyes:

Feeling the strong need to correct people, when they unexpectedly seem to think you are in a relationship with someone.

Maybe there is no actual connection at all, but it kinda makes sense to me now, why the thought of me being in a releationship kind of always seems to throw me. Someone was once kidding about me having a girlfriend and I didn't get that it was supposed to be a joke (it was really not obvious in my opinion :P ) and I then very adamantly told them that I'm really not seeing anyone. The suggestion appearently made me slighly freak out and it was not about my supposed partner being a girl. :rolleyes:

I also really hate being referred to as Mrs.

I am not married and I never will be. Stop making assumptions about my marital status.

Also I am only 20. I'm sure this problem will become much more frequent as I get older :(

I am not married and I never will be. Stop making assumptions about my marital status.

Also I am only 20. I'm sure this problem will become much more frequent as I get older :(

More stories from retail: We get bitched at more often if we call someone "Miss" than we do if we call someone "Missus" or "Ma'am" by customers for some reason. So, that's why we assume Mrs. It may not be our assumption, but, just a self defense mechanism to avoid the pissed off customer. I personally went with "Ma'am" unless the customer looked under 20 (I got complaints that using ma'am on young women make them feel old, so, you just can't win. Apparently people take it as an insult to be assumed single because it means they look like they can't get a partner or something like that. I started out assuming Miss, because it was the one you use with younger women, so, i figured, saying a woman looked younger than she was was the safest route, but, apparently I was wrong.

What I would give for English to have an gender neutral honorific that did not depend on marital status or age. Would make life so much easier in retail.

More stories from retail: We get bitched at more often if we call someone "Miss" than we do if we call someone "Missus" or "Ma'am" by customers for some reason. So, that's why we assume Mrs. It may not be our assumption, but, just a self defense mechanism to avoid the pissed off customer. I personally went with "Ma'am" unless the customer looked under 20 (I got complaints that using ma'am on young women make them feel old, so, you just can't win. Apparently people take it as an insult to be assumed single because it means they look like they can't get a partner or something like that. I started out assuming Miss, because it was the one you use with younger women, so, i figured, saying a woman looked younger than she was was the safest route, but, apparently I was wrong.

What I would give for English to have an gender neutral honorific that did not depend on marital status or age. Would make life so much easier in retail.

I suppose that makes sense, but I am 20 and look much younger, so being called Mrs. is always startling. I wish female titles weren't so complicated; you can pretty much always call a man Mr. without offense.

I should just get a phd so I can be Dr and stop dealing with all this. :P

When your feelings towards your romantic partners are the same feelings you get when you see a kitten.

Wow, that's one high standard! I don't know if any human can ever really measure up with my "ooh kittie!" reaction. It's a sign that someone's very special to me if they even make me have to think about where they measure up on the "scale from one to cat". :D

But as an ideal, yep, sounds very nice indeed. ^_^

When you picture your life stretched out in front of you... and there's no events like 'Wedding' or 'Honeymoon' or 'Anniversary' planned.

...when you're listening to your friend whining about her love life and you realize that most of her problems are her own absurd inventions created to complicate human relations (even more).

People ask me if I've got a boyfriend and I'm like "no, never had" and people are like O__O and I want to add "and never will have". And then people are like "well, you'll find someone" and I'm like "naaahh".

Hnnnggg yes.

Especially that last one. ksghasdofl asldfs dfg

...when you'd prefer to be thought of as a sibling [of a nonincestuous family] by the people you find interesting.

mangosandpinapples

Wow, that's one high standard! I don't know if any human can ever really measure up with my "ooh kittie!" reaction. It's a sign that someone's very special to me if they even make me have to think about where they measure up on the "scale from one to cat". :D

But as an ideal, yep, sounds very nice indeed. ^_^

It was. I heard people describe what "romance" is supposed to feel like and they said you cant stop smiling, you think they are cute, and you want to cuddle with them. I was like...ok....how is that different from having a fave animal

.. you find it really awkward to say "I love you" to anyone other than your mom or pets.

When your thinking about them for the whole day, when you just can't what to sink your teeth into them... Yes I meant Chocolate cake. Maybe some extra Chocolate at the side.

When I hear about a relationship...I just get hungry.

When someone asks you if your single- and You reply: "No"... in the mean time your just thinking that amazing bar of chocolate sitting in the fridge and you whiper them: "I'll share, you can take the top half, and I'll take the bottom half"

Chocolate~ My Dear

Three of my cousins are getting married this year. I am just watching from the sidelines at the budget they are racking up (seriously, $3000 for the photographers alone?!) Now, granted, one is a couple of professional party planners, so, that one being excessive is sorta expected, but, still, the budget is fairly astronomical...

I am just glad a major expense like that will never be in my future.

When you like someone and enjoy looking at them, but can't imagine being with them that or that way.

I know About this very well.

Archived