You know you are aromantic if/when...

confused&lost

When two movie characters are making out and you're like, "cut to the frickin action!" 

When song lyrics are talking about love and you're appreciating the vocalists attention to dynamics and phrasing

Taylor Lilith

When the only reason you buy your partner flowers is to hide your purchase at the grocery store because you really really wanted candy. 

On 29.6.2014 at 3:47 PM, Satin said:

When you suddenly realise that until your mid twenties you believed friendship and romantic love are virtually the same thing except that when you love someone you also desire sex with them. Happened to me a few months ago. That was interesting.

What?! It’s not like that. Ashamed of myself for thinking that way :redface:

On 17.7.2014 at 10:31 AM, jenjenna said:

People ask me if I've got a boyfriend and I'm like "no, never had" and people are like O__O and I want to add "and never will have". And then people are like "well, you'll find someone" and I'm like "naaahh".

That’s so relatable!

Everyone are always saying that you forget thoughts like that when you meet the right person, “the one”

when you come home and they are just standing there with their arms wide open, waiting for a hug or kiss and you're just like "hello :}"  

mechanicalsunshine
1 hour ago, Starbucks Covfefe said:

when you come home and they are just standing there with their arms wide open, waiting for a hug or kiss and you're just like "hello :}"  

Yeah I know what you mean. When I went away on exchange for a year, my mom hugged me, like she usually does whenever I go away, but then she went "Ohh! just one more!" and I'm there like, "whoah... chill.."  (...Not really an aromantic issue, but whatevs...) 

Wierd_Asexual

I figured out when I just got my first crush. It started out normal but then it turned to a squish. I'm slowly realising I don't want to have a gf. Just a really close best friend. I think kissing and holding hands is super cute! But I don't really want to do that. 

It complicated. You know when:

Your friends ask who you have a crush on and all you can think of is a friend cause its the same thing right?

You get excited when someone else gets in a relationship but the thought of it always causes you to cringe a little.

Yeah... I'm Aromantic... 

when you're walking by a couple shooting engagement photos and want to jump into the background, vomiting

9 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

when you're walking by a couple shooting engagement photos and want to jump into the background, vomiting

Photobombing is more fun in a Slenderman costume.  Though, you can only really get away with wandering around in a Slenderman costume on Halloween.

1 hour ago, Zash said:
11 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

Photobombing is more fun in a Slenderman costume.  Though, you can only really get away with wandering around in a Slenderman costume on Halloween.

I think you could get away with it if you do a MIB outfit. Dark suits, ties, glasses and hats, somber, somewhat menacing stances ... just standing around in the background ...

Today, my mom was watching a made-for-TV movie. The couple on the screen was getting married, and they started saying these really sappy vows to each other. I couldn't help myself; I kept saying, "Eeeewwwww, gross" over and over again, and my mom was glaring at me like she was trying to set me on fire.

Aroace...Artimus

I know I’m aromantic when people talk about their crushes, and then ask me if I have a crush, and in my head I’m just screaming, “Nope!” 

I went to see the new Aardman film Early Man, and I was relieved that it didn't contain any romance. 

On 2014-06-29 at 9:59 AM, deltaX said:

... When your nightmares consist of your guy friends falling in love with you and ruining a great friendship.

That happened to me. Twice. One of them ghosted me (so much for our friendship meaning something!! hahaahaha) and the other one gaslighted me about "punching him in the gut" for a week or so until I ditched him. 

People are assholes when they're heartbroken. I get it (I think). Nonetheless I do miss both of them and think its a real shame :/ 

not sure i'm aromantic, but something i feel is pretty aro is that the moment i realised that i didn't really need to have a boyfriend to be happy, i pretty much stopped thinking about boys completely. i always kind of assumed the reason ppl wanted to date each other was for the social validation of being in a relationship, since that was why i wanted to be in one.

also, i was reading through one of my old journals and i'd stated that one of the reasons i'd fallen out of love with a boy was that "i imagined our braces crashing against each other when we kissed so it would be weird and gross" now i'm wondering if it really was the braces part of that fantasy that grossed me out ...

• 2 months later...

... A date is the last thing on your mind (along with sex) ;) 

1 hour ago, confused&lost said:

If love is not friendship+sex, then how you define it???

Love is friendship, sex is not always love.

1 minute ago, Zenzencat104 said:
1 hour ago, confused&lost said:

If love is not friendship+sex, then how you define it???

Love is friendship, sex is not always love.

You can have sex with people you're not in love with. You can be friends with people you never have sex with and still love them.

confused&lost

So you're saying each part  alone (sex and friendship) is not love (but that was clear!), but you're not saying the two parts together are not love!!!!!

So to me friendship+sex is still love. Cant see why not.....????

16 minutes ago, confused&lost said:

So you're saying each part  alone (sex and friendship) is not love (but that was clear!), but you're not saying the two parts together are not love!!!!!

So to me friendship+sex is still love. Cant see why not.....????

I never said that... friendship itself is love, and sex is only love for some people in different situations, and if you have friendship, there is love. So, friendship+sex is love, friendship is love, and with sex, it depends.

I just don't seem to "get" romance.  I don't see what the big deal is about it or about relationships and sex - I don't get why people find the need to be all touchy, feely with each other, let alone willingly kiss and share saliva (eww, no!) or have sex (also eww, been there got the t-shirt, didn't enjoy it!).  I don't get it when people make such a fuss over Valentine's Day, or "romantic dates".  It's like I feel nothing.

When I realized that just having cats was too much social interaction at home for me.

On 11/11/2017 at 3:32 PM, StormySky said:

My ex best friend and I talking:

"If you're gonna do some fan stuff, why not focus on a sweet storyline more than characters kissing?"

"But it's HAWT"

I like reading about romance ONLY when the storyline builds it up really well. I don't like reading one shots or dribbles because the relationship is so random and I'm like "GIMME THE DAMN PLOT, THEY HAVE AS MUCH CHEMISTRY AS TWO CACTI STANDING NEXT TO EACH OTHER"

On 29/01/2018 at 5:32 PM, bonny said:

I went to see the new Aardman film Early Man, and I was relieved that it didn't contain any romance. 

That’s a great point! I didn’t even notice! :D 

10 hours ago, Philbo Penten said:

That’s a great point! I didn’t even notice! :D 

I'd been a bit worried because it had a hero and a pretty blonde heroine. But you can usually rely on Aardman to stick to portraying beautiful friendships. :) 

october rain

can’t find it, but i ran across a post on tumblr where the person was talking about how fanfics always describe kissing by saying “they tasted like [food item] + [weather phenomenon] + [something uniquely *them*]” (eg “cherries and sunshine and warmth,” or “whiskey and thunderstorms and confidence”).

And then they described coming across this one fanfic, and reading “he tasted like...” and fully expecting more of the same damn formula... but instead the author just said, “he tasted like mouth.”

And I was like, “Yes!! Exactly!!”

cuz seriously all the kisses i’ve had haven’t been the YA novel shit i was expecting. they were lips and teeth and saliva, tongue and breath and just ew.

so yeah, imo “mouth” describes it pretty accurately lol 🙃

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

One may know they are aromantic if, during middle school and part of high school, they think other people are kidding when they see them doing romantic things (e.g., holding hands) or if they hear that two specific people are in a romantic relationship, they don't think it's serious because they "can't conceive people their age doing such a thing".

The above is the best description I can think of to describe my experience during middle and high school. Has anyone else experienced something like this, or is it just me?

Archived