You know you are aromantic if/when...

confused&lost

15 hours ago, MackerelGray said:

When your parents give you an hour-long lecture about getting "involved" with your best friend because they saw you cuddling in the same chair. It gives off the wrong impression? What impression? They're my cuddle buddy because they like being touchy-feely with me and vice versa. We hold hands, snuggle, touch each others' hair, and boop each other's noses...and also hate the idea of dating each other.

It sounds like you have a really great best friend though! :)  Wow, I'd love to have a friendship like that. 

When you watch romantic scenes where the characters are leaning in, looking into each other's eyes, and you don't think "just kiss already!" but rather "just blink already, this is awkward!"

3 hours ago, Rhyme said:

When you watch romantic scenes where the characters are leaning in, looking into each other's eyes, and you don't think "just kiss already!" but rather "just blink already, this is awkward!"

When you can see the cliched romance a mile away at the very start of the movie, even though to the characters it's a sudden surprise and you're setting there rolling your eyes and saying "oh, come on already" and wishing that something horrid would happen to stop it in its tracks. <_<

On 04/09/2017 at 7:40 AM, MackerelGray said:

They're my cuddle buddy because they like being touchy-feely with me and vice versa. We hold hands, snuggle, touch each others' hair, and boop each other's noses...and also hate the idea of dating each other.

This is what I crave in life!!!

I used to have someone like that but stuff happened and I still don't really know why he stopped being like that.  (we weren't best friends though just friends that cuddled)

On 04/09/2017 at 7:40 AM, MackerelGray said:

When your parents give you an hour-long lecture about getting "involved" with your best friend because they saw you cuddling in the same chair.

Sensual attraction exists, Mom!

You should have lectured them on what sensual attraction is!!!

1 hour ago, fuzzipueo said:

When you can see the cliched romance a mile away at the very start of the movie, even though to the characters it's a sudden surprise and you're setting there rolling your eyes and saying "oh, come on already" and wishing that something horrid would happen to stop it in its tracks. <_<

We need a pause button so we can pause it and fix everything wrong with it before it happens

You know you're aro when you get genuinely scared when you hear that your cuddly friend is going to ask you out (in a dating way).

I'm still half convinces that people's descriptions of romantic attraction are exadurated, if not entirely made up.

Hermit Advocate

You know your aromantic when PDA annoys the hell out of you. I'm talking to you annoying couple holding hands if front of me on the sidewalk and not letting me past.

22 minutes ago, Hey you in the corner said:

You know your aromantic when PDA annoys the hell out of you. I'm talking to you annoying couple holding hands if front of me on the sidewalk and not letting me past.

That has nothing to do with the definition of romance, in fact, it basically means BFF's, not holding hands or anything like that, also, holding hands does not mean inherently mean 'romance'.

50 minutes ago, Zenzencat104 said:
1 hour ago, Hey you in the corner said:

That has nothing to do with the definition of romance, in fact, it basically means BFF's, not holding hands or anything like that, also, holding hands does not mean inherently mean 'romance'.

Ah, you point out a flaw in the programming. We'll have to work on that.

• 5 weeks later...
mechanicalsunshine
On 20.9.2015 at 7:25 PM, EventideTraveler said:

I'm still questioning both sexuality and romantic orientation, but regarding the latter, I'm starting to heavily lean towards the idea that I'm aromantic...and I've had a couple moments recently that only made me lean even more heavily, so to speak...

Talking with a friend, and they mention that there's "a side of them friends don't see," which is apparently reserved for romantic partners. I'm just sitting there trying to comprehend that and thinking "my closests friends see all my various facets, generally. If you're good friends with someone, why hide parts of your personality from them?" I just really didn't get it, and they acted like it was a really natural thing that everyone does...

Another time, with a different friend, the topic of romance also came up in conversation, and it became clear to me this friend had emotional needs that it sounded like could only really be satisfied by a romantic partner, and friends couldn't help with that no matter how hard they tried. I kind of knew this was a thing already (and to be clear, I certainly have nothing against that and people are who they are) but it just reminded me that most people do really have this need to seek out a romantic partner for fulfillment, and I just...don't.

All my emotional needs are met through having close, affectionate friendships in my life...

How did I get to age 25 without these things fully dawning on me? o.o

I'd say that this is sort of like how people have many different facets to themselves but you don't show all of them to everyone. That doesn't mean you're not acting yourself, you're just showing different, or more appropriate, parts of yourself to different people. Think of it like, I wouldn't act the same towards my teacher as I would my friends, or my family. I am always 100% me, but I am the me that's respectful when I'm with teachers, I'm the me that makes jokes or could have long talks about everything and nothing to my friends, I'm the me that's vary around strangers when I'm, you know.. around strangers, and so on. There must just be this one facet that includes all this romantic stuff you want to do in alloromantic people that you don't show your friends, not because you're hiding parts of yourself, but because it's not appropriate or it makes them feel uncomfortable or whatever. I know I'd be uncomfortable acting like I do with my friends if I was with any of my parents, for example, so that there's a way you act toward SOs that you don't do towards friends isn't really that strange...

but yeah, as an ace person, that they have this facet is really odd... Just the thought of having this need myself makes me feel uncomfortable. I just feel so removed from this romantic sphere all together that even the thought that someone who is romantic could like me, is just sooo... weird... like... It's as if a contestant on a dating show or something just turned around and pointed at somebody in the audience and went "You! I like you!" and you're like "wait what? This ain't supposed to happen! I'm not even part of the show, what the heck" you know? 

mechanicalsunshine
On 17.12.2015 at 6:18 AM, Miav-desu said:

when people say "you are today's big issue" when you say you are just interested in friends.

wh-what... what does that even mean??? ಠ^ಠ That doesn't even make any sense..? 

mechanicalsunshine
On 30.12.2015 at 6:50 PM, SwirlyKitten said:

Or "love".

Others: Have you ever been in love?

Me: Yes, I used to have this great friend who I considered my sister.

like, I can understand how being in love is different from to love, though perhaps the distinction is just much more clear in Norwegian as we actually have a completely separate word for it. When people talk about love, it shouldn't be assumed that they're talking about romantic love at all, there's a bunch of people you can love, and each and everyone of them are important and the relationship to them significant, and yet, somehow, people put so much more emphasis on this one relationship to this one person. ughh... 

arekathevampyre
Just now, spaceace24 said:

...when you made an anti Valentine's day box in school

lol 😂 we don't even get to make the normal Valentine's day box lololol

Just now, arekathevampyre said:

lol 😂 we don't even get to make the normal Valentine's day box lololol

Lol. I don't want to pass up free candy so I just wrote stuff like: I hate romance but please give me some chocolate and candy. 

mechanicalsunshine
Just now, spaceace24 said:

Lol. I don't want to pass up free candy so I just wrote stuff like: I hate romance but please give me some chocolate and candy. 

omg that's hilarious! xD I think it was last year... someone asked me what I was gonna do for valentines, I just said I'd get myself some chocolate. And then obviously I'd have to buy some chocolate back to me for white day... ^-^

19 minutes ago, mechanicalsunshine said:

omg that's hilarious! xD I think it was last year... someone asked me what I was gonna do for valentines, I just said I'd get myself some chocolate. And then obviously I'd have to buy some chocolate back to me for white day... ^-^

The good news is, since we are aro, we are proudly single on Valentine's day. The good news is that Halloween has nothing to do with romance (except horrible couple costumes). Yay free candy!

arekathevampyre
44 minutes ago, spaceace24 said:

best idea ever !! :D

Just now, arekathevampyre said:

best idea ever !! :D

Thanks! I'm super excited for Halloween. It's not a romance holiday, and you get free chocolate! There is also the benefit of scaring small children. 

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, spaceace24 said:

Thanks! I'm super excited for Halloween. It's not a romance holiday, and you get free chocolate! There is also the benefit of scaring small children. 

we don't celebrate Halloween here (except for the rich people) so yeah I am quite sad about that . Unless ... I go buy a pack of candy and eat all of it while watching horror movies :)

2 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

we don't celebrate Halloween here (except for the rich people) so yeah I am quite sad about that . Unless ... I go buy a pack of candy and eat all of it while watching horror movies :)

I love buying huge packs of candy! I like watching old horror movies, like Alfred Hitchcock movies. My favorite Halloween movie is the Addams Family.

1 hour ago, spaceace24 said:

Hallowe'en is my favorite holiday of the year. I wish I'd been born closer to that holiday than the boring one I got stuck with. I hand out candy to the kids, teens, and yes, adults who come by, and love to decorate the yard. I even have a Hallowe'en playlist. LOL

Nea Rose Symphony
15 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

767282adf3de2c60466f20f88db56c7f--kawaii-doodles-kawaii-stickers.jpg

I'm the chocolate lover

Crunches_Cats_Coffee

Someone asks to hold your hand and you're repulsed.  You force yourself to do it a few times, but it's equivalent to cleaning the hair from the bathroom shower drain- it's uncomfortable, it's gross, and you just want it to be over.

I went through a slutty phase (that's the best term I suppose) where I thought if I had sex a lot I'd get over anxiety/ whatever made me hate it. ...Nope, it was all pretty awful. 😝

Archived