You know you are aromantic if/when...

confused&lost

When I realised in spite of my many, many long-term sexual relationships in my 14 years of being sexually active, that I've only felt romantic feelings 3 times

When I realised I wasn't terrible for not desiring romantic relationships and not actively pursuing them, despite people actively trying to pressure me into forming them and not be a "nasty slut"

When I found that I see no difference between Romantic and Platonic feelings, and as a result, I have little interest in forming close friendships (which by my nature of attraction, would basically be the same as a romantic relationship for me)

When I've had 5 boyfriends, and I constantly stood all of them up so I could go out to dinner with my roommate instead 😂

When I realized I had a "crush" on my roommate, minus the desire to kiss her.

When I realized I've never had a desire to kiss anyone romantically before, ever! 

When I realized that having sexual feelings does not have to equal having Romantic feelings. 

Nea Rose Symphony

When I've only dated and romantically kissed one person. Starting at age 19

When you're 23 and you awkwardly stand around when everyone's talking about each other's love lives and you have absolutely no stories whatsoever to contribute.

Person X: "So what about you, Laplace? Got a girlfriend?"

Me: "...No. Never have and I don't really fancy anyone at the moment so feel free NOT to explode with anticipation. 😐"

Person X: 😐

Me: 😕

There is no juicy gossip about me. Salacious rumors about me would fall flat just cause everyone knows I'm about as romantic as a piece of stale bread 🍞. The only semblance of romance in my life was when I was forced in middle school to dance with girls during PE for the dreadful square dancing unit which was torturous.

Hermit Advocate

When you get asked if you're seeing anyone and your first thought is "eww gross, people." 

When someone complains to you about their relationship and the first thing to go through your mind is "just break up romance is pointless and stupid" 

when your long time crush confesses to you and you're instantly repulsed and lose any remaining feelings.

when you forget there are lyrics to songs because youre more interested in the music then the person singing about sex and romance. 

Nea Rose Symphony
9 hours ago, Alaalala said:

"just break up romance is pointless and stupid" 

You know your aromantic when you can relate to this phrase so much

23 hours ago, Alaalala said:

When someone complains to you about their relationship and the first thing to go through your mind is "just break up romance is pointless and stupid" 

when your long time crush confesses to you and you're instantly repulsed and lose any remaining feelings.

when you forget there are lyrics to songs because youre more interested in the music then the person singing about sex and romance. 

ALL of this! :)

WoodwindWhistler
On 7/16/2017 at 4:50 PM, Alaalala said:

When you constantly go to YouTube for parodies because you cannot stand the original lyrics. 

GloomyGhost
1 hour ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

When you constantly go to YouTube for parodies because you cannot stand the original lyrics. 

When you listen to this parody and you get excited at 2:27 because you think it says "aromantically bonding". I had to do a double take.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

It came to my attention one morning while being on the bus heading to the work station. I was watching and observing the people around me, including myself as for any physical and mental reactions. I could sense some kind of aesthetic attraction to some of them but absolutedly no sexual desire. Then I started thinking back....and I realized that it's always been like this. Only that I wasn't truly aware of it. I had been talking myself into sexual attraction because I wanted to believe that I could experience  these kind of things. Just because everyone else seemed to do so. It was the most natural common thing everywhere. 

I've been in love with two people in my whole life but without any serious sexual desire. Of course we had some and it was ok but it never felt like a "must have" to me. I went along to make my mate happy and felt good because of the final result but that was all. 

When extended family members ask you

"so, do you have a boyfriend?"

"you're so pretty why don't have a boyfriend???"

"I'm going to help you find a boyfriend!!!" 

and you're all like

You know you're aromantic when the only reason you want a boyfriend is to have a "travel buddy", since everyone seems to only travel with their romantic partners...

Forest Spirit
12 hours ago, hippiecat said:

You know you're aromantic when the only reason you want a boyfriend is to have a "travel buddy", since everyone seems to only travel with their romantic partners...

Or cuddle buddy

I used to mistake my squishes for crushes and wonder why I didn't feel all nervous around them or have any motivation to dress better for them like the books I read described. When I first read the definition of the word "squish," suddenly everything made a lot more sense

... When your Horoscope for the day says this:

Hi ___,

You've been spending quite a bit of time with a certain person lately. Your friends are snickering and making comments about wedding bells, and you're starting to wonder yourself if it might not be time to settle down and put an end to the 'party of one' you've been holding all these years. Well, think about it. Wouldn't it be nice to climb that mountain, cross that bridge or see that sunset with a partner?

and you're just amused and laughing. It's a perfect example of why Horoscopes, etc. are a bunch of bunk, fun, but bunk. ^_^

44 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

... When your Horoscope for the day says this:

and you're just amused and laughing. It's a perfect example of why Horoscopes, etc. are a bunch of bunk, fun, but bunk. ^_^

What about married/coupled people of the same sign? Are they going to divorce their partners? Or is this customized for relationship status?

1 minute ago, Snao Çoñé said:

What about married/coupled people of the same sign? Are they going to divorce their partners? Or is this customized for relationship status?

I think this is customized, even though I've never really given them stats. It's just something I get through the email.

When you think everyone is aro ace, until people tell you the opposite. 

Then get super disappointed by them and super surprised that people actually want to date and marry. 

When you always manage to turn romantic songs in non-romantic ones, by changing the words in the song, while believing you are singing it right and even after being corrected, you keep singing it wrong, because it sounds better to you that way. 

When you can only imagine platonic love, but you can't believe romantic love exists or you know it exists, but it isn't for you. 

When friendship is the higher type of relationship to you and you would trade anything for it, but romantic relationships seem like a farse in your eyes. 

On 12/07/2014 at 6:58 AM, Wokgran X said:

And as a bonus:
When you stop your teacher from using you as some example in her stories because you know the probability of it being some sort of love/pairing related thing is high.
(And you were right/glad that you stopped it)

Lol, once I was chosen to be an example for a story. And my teacher made me a high-tech android. :D 

On 26/07/2017 at 5:10 PM, Kaikat said:

I used to mistake my squishes for crushes and wonder why I didn't feel all nervous around them or have any motivation to dress better for them like the books I read described. When I first read the definition of the word "squish," suddenly everything made a lot more sense

This! So much this!

8 hours ago, JusTopi said:

When you think everyone is aro ace, until people tell you the opposite. 

Then get super disappointed by them and super surprised that people actually want to date and marry. 

This!! And when you know them well enough they'll start complaining about how alone they are... while they're with you? Do they not see you or what?

Lucy in the sky

when you think you have a crush, but when you think about what you want from the relationship, it's basically just friendship :P

You could almost call me 100% aromantic because my idea of romance is a long term friend. Idk, is that aromantic?

When people imagine me in a romantic situation or having kids or something, it makes me want to scream: "HELL NO!" The only thing I can imagine is cats and some friends.

When I realized that for all the crushes that I've had, I was quite relieved when they said no because they were aesthetic attraction with the exception of one where I just really wanted to be her friend.  And it really helped that there was exactly one person that I have had sexual/romantic feelings for.  Otherwise, I would have not known the difference.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm with @Cetasoul about the phrase...(tried to quote it, button didn't work)...

I had a colleague last year who pinned me down (metaphorically speaking)at a lunch break and went on at length about her on/off relationship with a married man who has no intention of leaving his wife. Weeping into her tea, I admit to having had no sympathy at all, just a longing for my rapidly diminishing lunch break as I listened to what I decided was drivel from the outset.

I ended up saying 'Why are you telling me this? What am I supposed to do about it? You know yourself that the only course of action is to move on with your life and get somebody of your own!' She said 'Well, really!' and stomped off....should I have understood any of that interaction? The jury's still out, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, chandrakirti said:

I'm with @Cetasoul about the phrase...(tried to quote it, button didn't work)...

I had a colleague last year who pinned me down (metaphorically speaking)at a lunch break and went on at length about her on/off relationship with a married man who has no intention of leaving his wife. Weeping into her tea, I admit to having had no sympathy at all, just a longing for my rapidly diminishing lunch break as I listened to what I decided was drivel from the outset.

I ended up saying 'Why are you telling me this? What am I supposed to do about it? You know yourself that the only course of action is to move on with your life and get somebody of your own!' She said 'Well, really!' and stomped off....should I have understood any of that interaction? The jury's still out, in my opinion.

She was probably looking for a little sympathy for her plight. However, I would have probably reacted the same way, in part because I just don't get why anyone would have relations with another person who's already in a relationship. My brain just doesn't work that way (even though I do know and understand that it happens).

When you are filling out papers and they want to know your sexual/romantic orientation and the only options are gay, straight or bi and you don't know what to pick.

Archived