You know you are aromantic if/when...

confused&lost

I just got "I would like to get to know you better" message from an acquaintance.

Commence panic. :P

Forest Spirit

I just got "I would like to get to know you better" message from an acquaintance.

o_o I feel you! Even if it`s not ment romantically I panic for a moment, then I ^just remember "oh that`s what people do..." ^cough

o_o I feel you! Even if it`s not ment romantically I panic for a moment, then I ^just remember "oh that`s what people do..." ^cough

All I need is the idea that it's romantic and I panic; it's very hard for me to be myself around these people after having that idea.

Life is hard when you're aro and socially awkward. :P

• 3 weeks later...

When your family gathers 'round to watch a Youtube vid all about the pain of moving on from a breakup and finding new love, and everyone's oohing and aahing about how deep and moving it is, and you're just sitting there, trying not to yawn.

jehan_osamahasan

When everyone is having a romantic relationship and you're just like... Meh

When you live with your older brother and his girlfriend and they yell and agruge all the time. And his gf will come to me crying. And I'll think to myself why dafuq do you CHOOSE to live like this?????,

Nea Rose Symphony

You're trapped in a romantic relationship and wondering why a ton of drama has to always follow

Forest Spirit

When you live with your older brother and his girlfriend and they yell and agruge all the time. And his gf will come to me crying. And I'll think to myself why dafuq do you CHOOSE to live like this?????,

I wonder the same thing about my parents. I seriously don't understand why they're still together... Maybe because they're old (over 60) and dunno.. family values...

No I don't get it :( and I actually doubt that they love each other...

I wonder the same thing about my parents. I seriously don't understand why they're still together... Maybe because they're old (over 60) and dunno.. family values...

I've been wondering that about my parents, too. I've actually been hoping they'd get divorced for years. But they're in the same older age group and I think they've just decided to stay the course no matter what.

Forest Spirit

I've been wondering that about my parents, too. I've actually been hoping they'd get divorced for years. But they're in the same older age group and I think they've just decided to stay the course no matter what.

So we're in the same boat then... *sends you hugs if wanted*

I feel like it's even harder to live with when you don't really understand such feelings yourself :( ^sigh^

I think your parents have become kind of a "habit" to one another, someone they just know to be there. Either that or they're afraid of "waking up" after separating. "Why did I waste all those years? Why didn't I do this earlier?"

If I woke up to find a guy from my school whom I barely remember in the chair across from me IN MY BEDROOM WATCHING ME SLEEP...

I was JUST thinking about this kind of thing!! What's up with the whole "I love watching you sleep" romantic trope? It's sooo creepy!

It's like saying "I love staring at you when you're unconscious and unaware of my presence (ಠ ͜ʖಠ) "

And also, watching people sleep seems... really boring?

So we're in the same boat then... *sends you hugs if wanted*

I feel like it's even harder to live with when you don't really understand such feelings yourself :( ^sigh^

Hugs are much appreciated! And returned :)

I know, it's hard to understand when you don't feel the same needs they do. But then I tell my mother I don't want to get married and she says, "But don't you want to be happy?" The lack of understanding goes both ways, it seems.

I think your parents have become kind of a "habit" to one another, someone they just know to be there. Either that or they're afraid of "waking up" after separating. "Why did I waste all those years? Why didn't I do this earlier?"

I think you're probably right. It's easier for people to keep going as they always have than for them to take a risk and change things up.

Forest Spirit

@NewHamsterdam:

And my mum does that too! "When you get married then..." and I'm just like "... well, I won't, so... nope"

In my head I usually replace "When you get married" with "When pigs fly". Makes these statements more fun rather than obnoxious

What's up with the whole "I love watching you sleep" romantic trope? It's sooo creepy!

You're right when the situation is involving unawareness. Actually, that's beyond creepy. Like sneaking into someones room to watch them sleep, then sneak back out when you've had enough of whatever... hmmm...

It's WAY different when it is a mutual thing. As you already pointed out, being asleep puts you in an extremely vulnerable position. Now, being allowed to be there in that particular situation can be a big sign of trust. You let somebody be close to you when you're in a state of mind where you couldn't do anything about what they're doing and it's okay! Even I do like that very much.

Furthermore, the setup is very personal. Just the one sleeping and the one watching, it's quiet and peaceful... it doesn't have to be romantic. To me, it's a trust thing.

SpeedinThroughSpace

What's up with the whole "I love watching you sleep" romantic trope? It's sooo creepy!

You're right about the unawareness. Actually, that's beyond creepy. Like sneaking into someones room to watch them sleep, then sneak back out when you've had enough of whatever... hmmm...

It's WAY different when it is a mutual thing. As you already pointed out, being asleep puts you in an extremely vulnerable position. Now, being allowed to be there in that particular situation can be a big sign of trust. You let somebody be close to you when you're in a state of mind where you couldn't do anything about what they're doing and it's okay! Even I do like that very much.

Furthermore, the setup is very personal. Just the one sleeping and the one watching, it's quiet and peaceful... it doesn't have to be romantic. To me, it's a trust thing.

Same. I'm not a very trusting person and there are only a small number of people I'm comfortable to be sleeping around. If I can fall asleep in someone's presence it's a big sign of trust for me.

Similarly, I feel special when my friends or family members are doing the same, even if it's probably not the same for them.

And sleeping people are just pretty cute somehow. Something about being asleep makes everyone look young and innocent. Seeing someone I love sleeping is kind of a protective instinct booster, too.

ChillaKilla

I had a friend who'd always scratch my head/arm when I slept, in a platonic way. I was very content with such an arrangement. If it has the slightest romantic implication I'll get grossed out, though. It's about intent for me.

You're right about the unawareness. Actually, that's beyond creepy. Like sneaking into someones room to watch them sleep, then sneak back out when you've had enough of whatever... hmmm...

Same. I'm not a very trusting person and there are only a small number of people I'm comfortable to be sleeping around. If I can fall asleep in someone's presence it's a big sign of trust for me.

Similarly, I feel special when my friends or family members are doing the same, even if it's probably not the same for them.

And sleeping people are just pretty cute somehow. Something about being asleep makes everyone look young and innocent. Seeing someone I love sleeping is kind of a protective instinct booster, too.

...last time I fell asleep in front of my brother, he stuck pretzels up my nose. Always be careful of who you trust XD

Well, I agree, but I was mainly following up with what Kitson was saying and referring to the Twilight books. The vampire guy actually goes out of his way to break into her house on a nightly basis so that he can stare at her sleeping for hours on end, and she doesn't even know. And that's way before they even started dating, if I recall correctly! When she finds out much later, of course she's like "He was watching over me while I slept? Awww ♥" never once considering the possibility that he's some kind of psychopathic voyeur. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forest Spirit

For me it makes people look like children again, cute and vulneable :)

Well, I agree, but I was mainly following up with what Kitson was saying and referring to the Twilight books. The vampire guy actually goes out of his way to break into her house on a nightly basis so that he can stare at her sleeping for hours on end, and she doesn't even know. And that's way before they even started dating, if I recall correctly! When she finds out much later, of course she's like "He was watching over me while I slept? Awww ♥" never once considering the possibility that he's some kind of psychopathic voyeur. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know anything about this Twilight stuff but breaking into someones house to stare at someone is the mother of red flags. No awwww involved.

For me it makes people look like children again, cute and vulneable :)

that reminds me, I used to sleepwalk when I was a child. I would walk into a family member's room in the middle of the night while crying hysterically, wake them up, and wouldn't answer them when they asked what was wrong. Then after a couple minutes, I'd suddenly stop crying, stare at them silently, and turn around and walk back to bed. I never remembered doing it when I woke up the next morning.

Pretty cute, right guys?? :D ... guys?

that reminds me, I used to sleepwalk when I was a child. I would walk into a family member's room in the middle of the night while crying hysterically, wake them up, and wouldn't answer them when they asked what was wrong. Then after a couple minutes, I'd suddenly stop crying, stare at them silently, and turn around and walk back to bed. I never remembered doing it when I woke up the next morning.

Pretty cute, right guys?? :D ... guys?

Brains!

• 2 weeks later...

When you spent all of your teenage years wondering how people moved from crush to crush so easily when it seemed so unheard of to have a crush at all. :blink:

You wonder why you never got a date like everyone else and then realized you never wanted one in the first place.

Also getting really confused why in romances everyone goes batshit insane out of jealousy.

OMG, I totally get this. I remember being younger and thinking by the year 2000, I'd be 17, have a longtime boyfriend, have my life mapped out, and so on. Then in college, I thought "Oh, this is the time I'll find someone, right?" Yet it never happened, and every time I tried to go out on a date, I was so nervous (which I later realized was because I didn't want to do it rather than any sort of excitement). It's only now I realize that I've never put much effort into dating because I don't like it. If I could find a guy to hang out with someday in a nonsexual partnership, yay! But who knows? When I'm older, I may just end up in a "Golden Girls" type of situation where I live with my three platonic best buds and spend evenings gabbing and eating cheesecake. ;)

I can't say I realized it at the time, but I think it still falls under this category. I remember thinking it'd be ideal to be married to a doctor--not because he makes money, but because he'd be gone all the time and I could have my independence. LOL!

Anonamousey98

When you stop reading Harry Potter because it's too romantic to handle.

I hate when romance come into books. -.-

starfishgurl1984

When your parents trying to kiss you goodnight grosses you out at 9 years old! Also you dream about adopting children as the thought of one growing inside of you is like nails on a chalkboard to some people. And you go to prom alone and have one dance with your high school crush and think "glad I never have to do that again"...

Also, as for the earlier posts about dreaming of your wedding and your the only one there or you forget about the bride and groom, YESSSSSSSSSSSS, 1,000% yes! That's something I'm glad that I'm not alone in doing...

Archived