The Black Ring- How common is it?

inactiveaccount2

inactiveaccount2

I had noticed on a few pages where I was reading up on asexuality for character research, as well as the increasing media coverage that it is getting, that the Black Ring (or any black ring, really, as long as it's on the right middle finger) is an unofficial symbol of asexuality, and also a way for asexual people to potentially meet in person through the common symbol.

I even researched this and saw a website about black rings- that was actually for swingers. However, the website specified that, while the black ring for swingers is worn on the right hand, the middle finger was usually a symbol of asexuality and that it should be respected (and also for swingers to avoid approaching those with the ring on the middle finger, and to choose one of the other fingers of the thumb.).

What I would like to know is, how common is the Black Ring? I had been considering buying one (I mean, I found them for $5 on eBay with free shipping. Nice, subtle black band.), but wasn't sure how many asexual people decide to use them, and if it was worth purchasing (especially now that I know the symbol and will be looking at peoples' hands, haha!).

I had noticed on a few pages where I was reading up on asexuality for character research, as well as the increasing media coverage that it is getting, that the Black Ring (or any black ring, really, as long as it's on the right middle finger) is an unofficial symbol of asexuality, and also a way for asexual people to potentially meet in person through the common symbol.

I even researched this and saw a website about black rings- that was actually for swingers. However, the website specified that, while the black ring for swingers is worn on the right hand, the middle finger was usually a symbol of asexuality and that it should be respected (and also for swingers to avoid approaching those with the ring on the middle finger, and to choose one of the other fingers of the thumb.).

What I would like to know is, how common is the Black Ring? I had been considering buying one (I mean, I found them for $5 on eBay with free shipping. Nice, subtle black band.), but wasn't sure how many asexual people decide to use them, and if it was worth purchasing (especially now that I know the symbol and will be looking at peoples' hands, haha!).

I need a white ring :lol: Sorry I am kidding. I have no idea about rings. I just came in to say HI. Long time since I've seen you in the chat room.

I wear one sometimes and I met people who also do so. There seems to be a divide about it though. Some aces hate it some like it. If you want to get one then feel free but I haven't had anyone get the reference so far.

I nail-painted a ring black and I do wear it sometimes, but no one's noticed it. Not all aces wear a black ring. I haven't seen anyone else in real life wearing one.

Since asexuals seem to be so rare anyway, I think most people see it as more of a personal statement or symbol rather than a way to potentially spot other asexuals (though that would be awesome if you did happen to run into one). I'm looking into buying one, but it might be a while before I can since I need to get a job first. I've been putting it off for a month, so I really need to apply. Oops.

Anyway, yeah, there are a lot of asexuals who do wear a black ring, but there are also many who don't. It's just personal preference, really. If/when I get one, it's just going to be something I wear for myself. I think there's something interesting about "showing off" a part of yourself symbolically without anyone really being aware of it. I can express my asexuality subtly without having to tell everyone. And if someone knows what it means, cool!

pegasusoftraken

I haven't seen many aces wearing a black ring (though haven't seen any swingers with one!). It's also pretty rare for somebody to comment on it, or know what it means, so don't think it's very helpful in meeting people. I wear it more for myself, as an expression of my identity, rather than to be recognised

I wear one, but on my left ring finger. It's more useful there.

I've seen one other person wearing a black ring on their right middle finger in real life.

as well as the increasing media coverage that it is getting,

What kind of media coverage are you seeing? Can you tell us?

In my very limited experience, I get the impression it's 60/40 in favour of wearing a black ring or some sort of close variation, but that's purely from speaking to people on here.

I second luxurieux, there's something appealing about wearing an item that has a private symbolism to you, even if you're pretty sure you'll rarely bump into someone who understands what it means. I wear a black ring and bought one only two days after acknowledging my asexuality.

inactiveaccount2

Since asexuals seem to be so rare anyway, I think most people see it as more of a personal statement or symbol rather than a way to potentially spot other asexuals (though that would be awesome if you did happen to run into one). I'm looking into buying one, but it might be a while before I can since I need to get a job first. I've been putting it off for a month, so I really need to apply. Oops.

Anyway, yeah, there are a lot of asexuals who do wear a black ring, but there are also many who don't. It's just personal preference, really. If/when I get one, it's just going to be something I wear for myself. I think there's something interesting about "showing off" a part of yourself symbolically without anyone really being aware of it. I can express my asexuality subtly without having to tell everyone. And if someone knows what it means, cool!

I have been considering this one to start, as it's only $5 and ships free- http://www.ebay.com/itm/251190958552?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I just had to wait to get my ring size (which I should know because I'm an art major with a jewelry concentration... Oops.).

as well as the increasing media coverage that it is getting,

What kind of media coverage are you seeing? Can you tell us?

I've mostly seen articles from people sharing them here in the forums, as well as on the AVEN homepage in the "digest" at the bottom.

I've been looking for something a little wider, to be honest. Something more like this. And I'm willing to pay more for the tungsten carbide rather than stainless steel, since it's more durable and will probably last longer :)

catsaregood

I'm like Retronaut, I found a ring and wore it only a day or two after working out asexuality applied to me. :) Most of the aces I've met in meet-ups have had one (which on reflection might look a little odd if anyone at the pubs or in the cafe was bothering to look at us!). I use it more for myself, I don't really expect to meet someone irl who I didn't already know was ace. It's a symbol to me of the community I'm part of, of the support and the group identity I hold. It's sort-of comforting. :)

inactiveaccount2

I've been looking for something a little wider, to be honest. Something more like this. And I'm willing to pay more for the tungsten carbide rather than stainless steel, since it's more durable and will probably last longer :)

Oooh, that's a nice one. I'll have to check their shop out later on. Like I said, I wanted to start out with a cheap one to see how I feel about it. I'd rather drop $5 on something I may not want to keep than $10+.

I'm like Retronaut, I found a ring and wore it only a day or two after working out asexuality applied to me. :) Most of the aces I've met in meet-ups have had one (which on reflection might look a little odd if anyone at the pubs or in the cafe was bothering to look at us!). I use it more for myself, I don't really expect to meet someone irl who I didn't already know was ace. It's a symbol to me of the community I'm part of, of the support and the group identity I hold. It's sort-of comforting. :)

I want to see how I feel about it, which is why I started with a cheaper one. I also am going to be looking into meet-ups (especially since I move to different corners of the state rather often because of school and have the opportunity to meet more people!), and I feel that it will help out a lot when the meet-up actually starts. It'd save a lot of awkward "Uh, so, are you ______?" moments when we can all simply look for a ring, granted the people at the meet-up wear them, haha!

I have been considering this one to start, as it's only $5 and ships free- http://www.ebay.com/itm/251190958552?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Bahaha it's 6.99 to ship here! Grrrr American post gets us every time on the eBay!

Awe! I hate when sites do that! Perhaps there are eBay shops in your country that also have cheaper jewelry?

I wear one everyday :) I love it, but most of the time I even forget to see if anyone else is wearing one so I don't know how much it helps for spotting asexuality. But regardless, I love mine and it makes me feel like I am in on a secret the only a few people know about.

I would feel naked without mine :wub:

I literally only take it off for a few minutes at a time. It's a part of me as much as my hair.

Comrade Eden

I'm just going to put this here: http://store.trich.org/product_p/ring-ssbmspiner.html

I'm quite the nervous/anxious pen clicker and general fidget-er, so once I figure out my ring size I will get one of these.

Rue_RudeFly

With the small community that's around here it's unlikely I'll actually see anyone/meet anyone who's ace, let alone with a black ring. I think it's a fantastic idea though, gives a bit of united-ness in this overly sexual world :)

I've seen a handful of people with black rings. Only one who wore it on their right middle finger, though.

What makes it even more of an exciting guessing game is the fact that black rings worn on the right hand are a fairly well-known swingers' symbol. Possibly even more so than its use as a symbol denoting asexuality.

Literally all or nothing, I suppose. :rolleyes:

I think that the black ring as a symbol of asexuality has gained popularity--or at least more attention. I rather inconsistent about wearing mine, but apparently one of my close friends figured out I was asexual because she recognized the symbol from some posts floating around tumblr. Let's keep up the good work on visibility! :D

• 3 weeks later...

My ring is being shipped to my house later this month. It's a black steel band with a baroque exterior design and 'Ace of Hearts' inscribed on it. I'm very excited to see how it turned out.

I used to wear my ring every day, but I lost it and I'm waiting to buy a new one. :( I can't say that I've ever seen another person wear a black ring, though.

HermioneGranger

I just ordered mine online; it should be here by Monday. I'm not normally a big jewelry wearer, but I'm looking forward to having this.

I got one off amazon not to long ago. Makes me remember that there are others out there like me and I'm not (entirely) crazy. :P

MusicHeartShine

I have a black ring that I painted with nail polish. When I wear it, it's for me. Having the ring on makes me feel less alone some how and lets me know that I am who I am. I've read that only about 30% of asexuals wear them, so it seems foolish to me to wear it to try to get recognized as an asexual. I also don't wear it all the time because I always end up playing with it. :)

I've never seen another person wearing one. My asexual friend doesn't have one at all. I guess it depends on the person.