Star Trek vs Star Wars - Ultimate Battle

Guest Lady.Lizard

Star Trek vs Star Wars  

1. 1. Simple: Only one can be chosen, you decide which

• Star Trek
    • Star Wars
  2. 2. If you picked Star Trek, which series?

• The Original Series
    • The Next Generation
    • Deep Space 9
    • Voyager
    • Enterprise
    • I picked Star Wars
  3. 3. If you picked Star Wars, which trilogy?

• Episode I-III
    • Episode IV-VI
    • I picked Star Trek

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Lady.Lizard

I had a hard time deciding. I really like both. I watched Next Generation with my parents growing up, and I was big into the Star Wars expanded universe in high school. Timothy Zahn's EU books continuing the Star Wars saga are still some of my very favorite novels. Ultimately, I chose Star Trek in the poll because there are more canon stories so there is more worldbuilding and development and I can relate better to the characters.

However, I love Stargate SG-1 the most.

Stargate! :O

*shudders* I only saw the film, which is probably a very, very rubbish representation. I nearly included Stargate as an option, but thought the whole ST/SW thing has a bit more history.

TheStarrySkai

Star Trek definitely. I used to watch it all the time with my dad. Its awesome

I can't imagine Kirk is very relate-able to many AVENites - his reputation as a womaniser maybe be very skewed and exaggerated but it certainly didn't crop out of nowhere.

That's why I love him so much. He's just so campy it's amazing.

WhenSummersGone

I haven't watched Star Trek so I voted Star Wars. I prefer the older episodes which came out first.

Star Wars... But I never really watched Star Trek, just some random episodes. And lets face it, Lightsabers are awesome. And since General Grievous and Darth Maul are my favorite characters, I had to choose the newer trilogy. Even if the Expanded Universe is way more awesome, the HQ's and the cartoons, also some games... Marvelous. It's one of those dumb kid dreams, to hold and properly use a lightsaber, and become part of the Sith. (Because Jedi is way too boring/mainstream)

I learned with Star Wars too, learned how to take a closer look at the duality (false binary) within things. How Jedi/Sith are actually two sides of the same coin, both practice evil in the end, the Jedi havoc planets spreading their religion or "pacifying" as they would call (Did I saw this somewhere else?). Both are very bad and bizarre religions that went further than they should and became something related to sheer power and political manipulation. Star Wars was my "mini-world" where I could analyze those interactions and events and then begin the parallels to the actual world. Also the senator -> Chancellor thing with Palpatine, plus the Death Star *blitzkrieg*cough* make the second world war references somewhat obvious. Just a little more and "Lord Vader" would be saying "Hail Sideous".

Anyway, I know it have many inconsistent things with actual science, but it is fun, and it is such a "RPG-Future-Fantasy" world. That is totally awesome. It's also nice how they start the story saying that it all happened in the past, "a long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away". Making us, as kids, hope to discover we have midi-chlorians too. Anyway. I'm totally a star wars fanboy. And I hugely respect Star Trek Fans, since it's also an awesome and way more consistent show than Star Wars. "Had some deep 'Chuunibyou' feelings" for it (and also Digimon at the time).

/Fanboyism off.

Skipper Valvoline

STAR TREK: The Original Series. DeForest Kelley as Dr. McCoy. 'nough said. Live Long and Prosper, homies \\//_

I really loved TNG. The first season was a bit preachy but I liked it and I still watch random episodes from time to time.

I watched it all but I didn't really get into TOS. I didn't like kirk and thought he made all the wrong moves even though he had good moments.

Guest Lady.Lizard

I really loved TNG. The first season was a bit preachy but I liked it and I still watch random episodes from time to time.

I watched it all but I didn't really get into TOS. I didn't like kirk and thought he made all the wrong moves even though he had good moments.

Kirk is a little bit weird, and egotistical, but I guess that's half the 'charm' of the old ones? Plus...Attack of the polystyrene rocks!!

I'd like to add, your username is one of the best characters in VOY

I personally like and enjoy Star Wars more, but I admire the cultural significance of Star Trek and topics it addresses.

• 4 weeks later...

What about Stargate (TV shows) and Battlestar Galactia. Go Stargate Alantes Yay!

Star Wars.

It changed my life. It gave me first crush, my first hero worship and my first real, life lesson. I still want a light saber, I still want a Chewbacca and I still want an R2 unit.

And it changed film/cinema, too. Those effects are still being felt today. I am a self confessed trekker and grew up on Star Trek. Next Gen. was some of the best t.v. ever. But it is over diluted, has had too many shows and it has lost it's appeal because of this. Any t.v. show that simultaneously makes me hate Star Trek and Scott "Oh boy!" Bakula, deserves as much scorn as the world can give, and that is exactly what Enterprise did. No doubt a Jar Jar reference will be made, but Jar Jar was to kid fans of Phantom Menace what Yoda was to kid fans of Empire and Jedi. Star Wars has a charm. I only take the films as cannon. I had to wait a long time for those next films to come out. In the mean time I got seven series of Next Gen. Deep Space Nine, Voyager, a few films and the before mentioned Enterprise. And I became bored.

The anticipation of J.J.'s Wars, compared to the anticipation of J.J.'s Trek, is so huge you could fit 100 Star Destroyers in between and still have enough room to bulls eye a wamp rat.

littlepersonparadox

Treck TNG partly because it was really good and Picard Is better than kirk. That and the nostalgia value my dad instead that I see at least the Borg episodes and I liked it so thats how we bond!

Hard to decide. I like both.

I've always been a fan of Star Wars. But only recently become a fan of Trek. (with the new movies) Also, like what "The Great WTF" said; All of the cast are people one can really look up to and admire. And, how the show embodied Equality. Way before it's time... even with the original series. Not only were all races and genders treated fairly, they were equals and held high ranks, etc.

I love -Wars because it's fast. It's fun. It's exciting.

I love -Trek because ....it's everything this world Should be.

Star Wars 4-6. I grew up with it. :3 I've tried to watch Star Trek too but wasn't my cup of tea.

Oh god I loved the soundtrack and story and spaceships and lightsaber fights. I remember I had all of them on VHS and I had watched them so many times the image quality had become really bad. Lightsaber fights were very common while playing with friends. Darth Vader was always my fav character and still is, although I was wincing with disappointment most of the time while watching episodes 1-3.

The Distressed Watcher once made a review about the episodes 1-3 and that pretty much covers up my opinion about them as well. Darth Maul and Count Dooku were my fav characters from those and they got so short amount of screen time that I just wanted to cry. Other than those 2 characters the only good things in these movies imo were soundtrack and special effects.

ieatpumpkinpie

This is really tricky. I grew up on Star Wars, but got hugely obsessed with Trek as a teen. I'm definitely in the minority in that Enterprise is my favourite of the series with Voyager as a close second.

• 1 month later...

I'm Bi-Sci

There, I said it, I'm out, and I'm proud! I love them both!!

This poll makes me so angry. I am very loyal to Star Wars and this drives me nuts.

I'm not a big fan of Star Wars. I mean, I liked it well enough but....Star Trek all the way.

I loved all the Star Trek serieses but my favorite is DS9. I really enjoyed DS9.

The Thunderbirds [Are Go!] [script] TB1: "Come in TB2"

TB2: "Er hi TB1...Come in TB3"

TB3: "Er hi TB2...Come in TB4"

TB4: "Er hi TB3...Come in TB5"

TB5: "Er hi TB4...Come in TB6"

TB36: "Er hi TB35...Cia :wacko:"

I am sorry, but I could not take this poll. It's Star Wars, hands down. But you're making me pick a trilogy?! It's impossible! I love them both!

Star Trek. Definitely. TNG because I have yet to watch TOS or anything else and you didn't list AOS.

\\// LLAP

Sarek Lloyd-Stuart

...The one superiority I will grant? SW fic seems to be less ubiquitously ship-y than Trek fic.

I like both and all, except I've yet to see any Enterprise.* (And Doctor Who--do you see this guy in a patchwork coat? <---)

And both have their flaws.

Presently, I am fairly likely to be found cackling over Hego Damask sitting on an icy crate and being sassy, or Mitth'ras'safis being Mycroft-ish... but contemplating Leonard McCoy's dietary preferences or having lots of feelings about the Emergency Medical Hologram or for that matter Data is far from out of the question... (also I swear I own more ST novels than I do SW and possibly more than I do DW. PDAs though...)

*I do not, however, like the '09 film, save for its Chekov, and I don't anticipate liking ST:ID, and I'm not even so sure about JJ directing VII...

STAR WARS!!! (All of 'em. Except the ghastly Clone Wars cartoon! Looking forwards to Rebels, the new one. :D)

Daleks. Smiley_Signs-Winner.gif

• 3 weeks later...

has to be original Star Trek as they're the only ones I've seen. Never been enamoured by star wars, Was a Battlestar Galactica devotee as well

Take a wild guess.

Of course, Star Trek is much more scientifically accurate, plot defined and blah blah blah. Nobody cares.

Star Wars has explosions, cool-ass sword fights, explosions, space dogfights, explosions, laser shooting, explosions and huge battles. It is pure entertainment.

Lol I haven't seen either! Am I now banned from AVEN?

Or it means you have some potentially entertaining weekends ahead of you? ;)

Anyway, I skew towards Star Wars (the music! yum!), but also a big DS9 fan. So sad to have to choose one. :(

Archived