Black ace ring?

Do any of you wear a black ring in the middle finger of your right hand as a symbol of asexuality? What kind of stone/material is it?

Whitedragon13

Mine is stainless steel. In middle finger, right hand.

Although I want to have one from a different material since in time the color wears off but I could be the fact that I always wear it.

My ring is stainless steel, but I'm in need of a new one because the black coating is scratching off from daily use.

Member54880

My ring is made of ceramic. I like that it's shiny and won't discolor, but I have to be careful wearing it, because I worry about it breaking. My first ring was made of black-painted copper, and started to discolor quickly.

I took a stainless steel base and wrapped black thread around it and painted it in clear glue. Nothing is happening to my ring! I take it off for 10 minutes a day to shower but otherwise wear it constantly. I don't feel right without it.

I would like to have a ring more for the sake of having it, but I doubt I would wear it very often even if I did have one (not to say that it would sit in a box and collect dust). I live in a very small area town where I'm pretty certain I'm the only one around who would get the reference, so I don't bother.

CokieTheClown

I do, it's stainless steel and I wear it on the middle finger of my right hand.

I took a stainless steel base and wrapped black thread around it and painted it in clear glue. Nothing is happening to my ring! I take it off for 10 minutes a day to shower but otherwise wear it constantly. I don't feel right without it.

That's clever!!

Mine is tungsten carbide, which is tech-speak for diamond that is doped with tungsten every once in a while. So it's almost as hard as diamond, and I don't have to worry about it scratching (in fact, I've fallen once or twice and used my hand to catch myself, and ended up scratching the metal of the table instead of my ring!). It's also so much cheaper than diamond, because it isn't "real diamond". I got mine for about $40 on amazon. Oh, and it's naturally black, so no discolouration or wearing off of the colour.

The other popular option I've heard of is hematite, which is cheaper than tungsten carbide, but breaks more easily. I know a few aces who have hematite rings, but they've had to replace them a few times. I guess it depends on your lifestyle too.

I use white-gold I have painted black and use it on my middle toe.

I might upgrade to a tungsten ring one day, but for now I just have an 8 or 9mm (I forget) oxidised steel band that cost like $5 online. I wear mine on my left ring finger because people are more likely to recognise "taken, don't flirt" (as a female coworker noted yesterday) than "asexual, don't flirt."

NewfangledArtist

I'd like to, I mean it's a nice low key way to show any other possible aces out there that I'm also one and can relate. But all the black rings I look for are either tacky plastic which will break soon, a LOTRs merch ring in black (there seems to be a lot of those around, somehow?) or a huge man's ring I could never wear without loosing. I wish more nice lasting quality rings were made for women in black :(

I'd like to, I mean it's a nice low key way to show any other possible aces out there that I'm also one and can relate. But all the black rings I look for are either tacky plastic which will break soon, a LOTRs merch ring in black (there seems to be a lot of those around, somehow?) or a huge man's ring I could never wear without loosing. I wish more nice lasting quality rings were made for women in black :(

I just did a search for "black steel ring" on Amazon and got a few.

Here's a 6mm plain black band that goes down to size 5.

Here's a 4mm slightly matte-looking band that goes down to size 4.

I think I got mine from this shop. 8mm plain band, only goes down to size 7 though.

Black Stainless steel, size 13 (Italian Hands FTW) with a dragon-like pattern (Silver). I have worn it on my right hand, middle finger for about a month and a half now straight :)

I doubt anyone around here will know what it means, so I wont bother :(

Eh, it's mostly for yourself anyway. I wear one because I like to. It's a personal symbol.

And for the practical side of things, I keep it on my left ring finger anyway.

I have 2 tungsten carbide black rings and 2 steel ones, I alternate wearing one or another on my right middle finger. The reason I ended up with so many different ones was that I couldn't make up my mind which I liked.

littlepersonparadox

I would like one but I never wore a ring. So i dont know what size to get. It would be a great way to find other Aces especially since my mom won't be happy with me out of the closet, but I can find others without saying a word and silently being myself.

That and it be a comforting sign of community. Mostly a sign of community.

I would like one but I never wore a ring. So i dont know what size to get. It would be a great way to find other Aces especially since my mom won't be happy with me out of the closet, but I can find others without saying a word and silently being myself.

Here try this http://www.lumeradiamonds.com/files/ring_sizer.pdf to find your ring size.

crazypimpernelfan

I'd like to wear the ring! But I'll wear it once I have completely come out of the closet as an asexual.

I'd never worn a ring either when I ordered mine online. What I ended up doing was getting a piece of hair (I have long enough hair, but if you don't, then a string will work just as well) and wrapping it around my finger, marking it, and then placing it flat on a ruler to measure the circumference of my finger. I used that to figure out the ring size; I found that amazon listed the inner circumference of the rings by size. I got a really cheap one to start with, to make sure it fit, then when it fit absolutely perfectly, I got my tungsten carbide one (the cheap one broke pretty quickly :P ).

I never used to think I'd wear jewellery of any sort, to be honest. If you went back three years and told my old self that I'd be wearing a ring around my middle right finger almost 24/7 and would feel insecure and naked without it, I'd've laughed at you :blush: But now I can't imagine being anywhere without it. It just feels wierd, even when I take it off to wash my hands.

I got a men's ring, and I like the sturdiness of it. But I'm sure there are plenty of women's rings out there too.

A Perfect Square

I wore my ring up until about a month ago... it was made of onyx, as I tend to have skin reactions to most of the typical materials (tungsten discoloured my finger, bleugh... ) The only reason why I say 'until a month ago' is that it was very thin and fragile. It had a rather unfortunate encounter with my bathroom floor, and shattered to pieces. I had it since I was 17, so I am glad it survived so long!

It just feels so odd not wearing it. I am definitely going to get a new one. See, for me, it's not even a sexuality statement any more. It was a part of my every day clothing for 6 years, so I feel a bit naked without it. :ph34r:

I didn't even know that this was a thing! Guess my newness is still showing. Do many do this? Does it have to be black? Does it represent anything specific other than representing your ace-dom? I'm intrigued.

Mine is tungsten carbide as well, but the tungsten itself is a typical metallic grey colour. It has a carbon fiber inlay that banners the outer circumference. With bevelled egdes and an unscratchable polish, I think it simple but beautiful.

I didn't even know that this was a thing! Guess my newness is still showing. Do many do this? Does it have to be black? Does it represent anything specific other than representing your ace-dom? I'm intrigued.

It's all good, everybody was new at some point. :) But yep, its a thing. If you wear a black ring on your right middle finger it is a symbol for asexuality. (I've also heard of people wearing it on the left middle finger as well, but that's not the "official" place for it. Just be careful to wear it on the middle finger if its on your right hand because black ring on any other right-handed finger has a different meaning). From what I heard it is a good way for other aces to spot each other, because its subtle enough that it doesn't draw attention to yourself, but obvious enough that you can notice it if you're looking. Not all aces wear a ring, but a lot do.

The original reason I came to this thread though was to announce that I now have a black ring! I was trying to find on at the mall, but there weren't any I liked the last couple times I was there so I made my own! I used to be really into jewelry-making a few years ago and still had some old supplies laying around so I decided to go for it! Probably won't last as long as a store bought one, but it'll do for now. I'm excited!

Thanks for the info deltaX :) very well put. I will definitely be doing this, can't wait to get my black ring. I love things like this, subtle yet noticeable. I love the ace community.

Someones gonna have to explain this too me pose, cos I just dont get it. what's the attraction for the idea of wearing black rings as a symbol of asexuality? I mean for me it just seems like we're trying to further associate ourselves with celibates. Aren't the major rings as symbols wedding rings-where ur promising to stay with someone for life engagement rings-where ur promising to marry someone and promise rings- where ur promising not to have sex until marriage. I mean rings seem to majorly symbolise a decision you've made and act as a reminder and outward symbol of it that can be recognised by all. It just feels so much like we're getting in on promise ring territory when it feels like we should be running in the total other direction to avoid the confusion. I mean do other orientations have rings that I dont know about? And also if we're the only ones who will notice then are we like trying to pretend to be spies in some sort of secret organisation? Is it like a secret handshake or something? Idk this is coming out a bit too rantish so plz dont take offence, I guess he black ring thing is just getting to be a pet peeve of mine. Explaination welcome

I wear a black stainless steel ring, but I wear it on the middle finger of my left hand for two reasons: First, I'm right-handed and found that having it on the middle finger of my right hand led to the ring getting in my way and it also got scratched easily, so I was buying replacement rings every few months. I don't do as much with my left hand, so my ring isn't getting damaged as much. Secondly, I found out that swingers wear black rings on their right hand. While I realize they try to avoid wearing said rings on their middle fingers, I don't want to take any chance that I'll be mistaken for a swinger.

Besides the ring, I also wear a stainless steel ace of spades pendant, though that's under my shirt so no one really sees it.

Also note that the left middle finger means "permanently single" whereas the right middle finger only means "currently/temporarily single."