Artists/bands a lot of people like that you don't

Waist of Thyme

On 8/17/2017 at 9:45 PM, thegreatwolf said:

I guess if I had to pick any group it would be the police every time I hear them on a radio station that plays 70s 80s 90s music I change the station fast stings voice irritates me to no end and the way the song's background music is structured drives be bonkers as well (especially Roxanne sweet mercy I hate Roxanne).

I don't mind the Police, but have to agree with Roxanne. Played way too much. I've heard Bachman Turner Overdrive on the radio since they released their first LP in the 70s. I'm sick of them (and a lot of other Canadian bands). Due to the Canadian Content regulations stations play a lot of the same Canadian songs over and over and over. Worst thing though is some of these bands have other good songs that never get played.

It it any wonder people have left terrestial music in droves?

On 6/18/2017 at 6:30 PM, evigmidnatt said:

I can't stand lady Gaga or Beyonce

What you don't like this masterpiece:

What a piece of tripe! (and I'm not English)

On 6/19/2017 at 9:54 AM, Peinture Paix said:

I can't really get behind Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold, or Weezer. Some of their songs, I do like, but in general, I just can't seem to sit down and listen to any of their albums. I'm not too sure why though.

I was never a big Metallica fan, but do enjoy their older stuff (Black album and further back). Fame went to Hetfield's head and someone thought it was a great idea to have them and a symphony play together. 

On 6/25/2017 at 1:12 AM, Elefsis said:

A majority of pop artist nowadays. 

Most can't sing (without auto tune), few write their own stuff (when they can it's pretty sad, pop crap), if they didn't constantly have controversy surrounding them they'd be out of business fast. Talent and artistic ability don't seem to count anymore. It's bubble gum trash, drama, and exuberance that make the scene now. 

Funny how that label was attached to music of the 70s, but I imagine those artists had more talent than the Auto-tune generation.

A song I hate myself for loving, was 2NE1 - I am the Best.

Took me a very long time to get it out of my head. Got into Korean pop while in S/E Asia. For those not familiar with it, its was a smash hit over there, several years ago. It reached cross over appeal, just like Psy's - Gangnam Style.

I can see why songs get catchy. There is science behind this. Main reason why hooks, are kept as simple as possible, when in the mainstream.

You want someone in the US, Japan, Egypt, to Mexico being able to sing along very easily, even if they barely understand the words.

I think the aspect of having had a band as a youth, and understanding the business behind today's music, made me appreciate some of the music a little more.

On 8/5/2017 at 4:04 PM, vmdraco said:

Finally someone said it!  I do enjoy Metallica, but why they are considered to be metal to end all metal is silly to me.  I guess it really depends on what kind of metal feels best for you, but personally I find artists like Megadeth to be a lot more engaging (shots fired) and symphonic metal bands like Nightwish (my favorite band EVER) to be better to listen to than Metallica.  They have a few catchy tunes ("Now That We're Dead", "Cyanide", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Enter Sandman"), but other than that they don't have a lot of things in their songs to take away from imo, at least as a metal band.  I need to listen to Slayer tho, there are so many metal bands I need to get into.

Great comment!

Glad you mentioned Nightwish. I was exposed to them by a DJ who marches to a different drummer (David Marsden in the Toronto area). I'm not sure if he's still on the air (i'm in the boonies now), but in the late 2000s he'd play stuff Friday and Saturday nights that you'd never hear any other T.O. radio stations dare to play.

9 minutes ago, will123 said:

I was never a big Metallica fan, but do enjoy their older stuff (Black album and further back). Fame went to Hetfield's head and someone thought it was a great idea to have them and a symphony play together. 

I must agree with you on their older stuff, as with Hetfield being so involved with the fame. Metallica playing with a symphony is rather.. interesting to say the least. :lol: It's all in personal taste for me to say that with certain metal, it's quite an experience to hear the genre and all of it's subgenres with symphony orchestras. However, Metallica's sound doesn't quite fit right with it. I feel like their sound drastically clashes, rather than working together with the way symphony orchestras sound. 

2 minutes ago, Peinture Paix said:

I must agree with you on their older stuff, as with Hetfield being so involved with the fame. Metallica playing with a symphony is rather.. interesting to say the least. :lol: It's all in personal taste for me to say that with certain metal, it's quite an experience to hear the genre and all of it's subgenres with symphony orchestras. However, Metallica's sound doesn't quite fit right with it. I feel like their sound drastically clashes, rather than working together with the way symphony orchestras sound. 

Their last CD I bought was St. Anger. The drumming sounded awful. It was as if Lars was pounding on an upside down 45 gallon drum. He could take a few lessons from Neil Peart of Rush.

2 minutes ago, will123 said:

Their last CD I bought was St. Anger. The drumming sounded awful. It was as if Lars was pounding on an upside down 45 gallon drum. He could take a few lessons from Neil Peart of Rush.

Wow, I'd have to listen to it when I can. It's always either that the drum tuning is completely off, or the bass is barely present haha. Neil freaking Peart though.. He ought to pay thousands and be grateful for every second. That man is gifted.

Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, AC/DC, U2, Pearl Jam, Guns N' Roses, Eagles, Imagine Dragons..

I realize I'm listing a lot of older bands but I don't really know of any newer ones.

I'm a huge fan of Andrew McMahon and his old band Jack's Mannequin, but I just can't get into his old old band Something Corporate, no matter how good everyone else tells me they are.

StrangerThing
4 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

A song I hate myself for loving, was 2NE1 - I am the Best.

Took me a very long time to get it out of my head. Got into Korean pop while in S/E Asia. For those not familiar with it, its was a smash hit over there, several years ago. It reached cross over appeal, just like Psy's - Gangnam Style.

I am the Best is a great song!  But I love just about anything 2NE1 did.

thegreatwolf
22 hours ago, will123 said:

I don't mind the Police, but have to agree with Roxanne. Played way too much. I've heard Bachman Turner Overdrive on the radio since they released their first LP in the 70s. I'm sick of them (and a lot of other Canadian bands). Due to the Canadian Content regulations stations play a lot of the same Canadian songs over and over and over. Worst thing though is some of these bands have other good songs that never get played.

It it any wonder people have left terrestial music in droves?

Ouch  I have heard of those regulations from videos about Canadian media and it sounds awful another artist I can't stand is van halen even as a rock fan I find their work to be incredibly dull

1 hour ago, thegreatwolf said:

Ouch  I have heard of those regulations from videos about Canadian media and it sounds awful another artist I can't stand is van halen even as a rock fan I find their work to be incredibly dull

My new truck has SiriusXM & I hardly have the 'radio' on. There are 3 'rock' stations (one is iffy for reception) available where I live. The playlist is pretty limited and one of them is a 'classic rock' station so a lot of the songs I've heard since I was an early teen in the 70s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content

We only hear songs that Heart recorded while Ann and Nancy were in British Columbia. I'm pretty much sick of Crazy On You and Magic Man from Dreamboat Annie. Other songs don't qualify on the MAPL scale so we don't hear them.

thegreatwolf
22 hours ago, will123 said:

My new truck has SiriusXM & I hardly have the 'radio' on. There are 3 'rock' stations (one is iffy for reception) available where I live. The playlist is pretty limited and one of them is a 'classic rock' station so a lot of the songs I've heard since I was an early teen in the 70s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content

We only hear songs that Heart recorded while Ann and Nancy were in British Columbia. I'm pretty much sick of Crazy On You and Magic Man from Dreamboat Annie. Other songs don't qualify on the MAPL scale so we don't hear them.

Ah I see thanks for explaining this better

Somebodysomeone

Most hateful person behind a mic is Bieber

second place goes to miley cyrus 

Third place belongs too kensigton 

Somebodysomeone
On 30-5-2014 at 5:29 PM, Hayley_me said:

One Direction, Justin Bieber and their 'clones' . I don't understand those girls just screaming while seeing their beloved Justin :)

What do you listen yourself?  I listen mostly metal related genres 

• 3 weeks later...

Drake! To the Toronto media he is the greatest thing to hit the Canadian music scene since Anne Murray.

They go on and on about him and his cool factor.

From Wiki':

Drake was raised in two polarizing Toronto neighbourhoods; he lived on Weston Road in the city's working-class west end,[34] until the sixth grade. In his youth, he played minor hockey with the Weston Red Wings.[37] Drake then moved to one of the city's affluent neighbourhoods, Forest Hill, in 2000.[38][39] When asked about the move to Forest Hill, Drake replied, "[We had] a half of a house we could live in. The other people had the top half, we had the bottom half. I lived in the basement, my mom lived on the first floor. It was not big, it was not luxurious. It was what we could afford."

Forest Hill IS the affluent neighbourhood of Toronto. And the other area isn't all that bad. Both are so far from Compton, Watts, 8 Mile Road (in Detroit) or Brixton it isn't funny.

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/08/2017 at 0:02 AM, Perspektiv said:

The song is incredibly annoying (mostly the chorus, as it was made lazily), but to her defense--she's speaking in Patois in parts of the track. She's from Trinidad, so she tends to pepper some of her songs, with this dialect.

I know a lot of people confused with the lyrics, but I grew up around Jamaican people so understand a bit of Patois so can pick the meaning of the song up. There is some level of depth to the lyrics, once you understand them. The chorus? Not so much, its about as basic as it sounds.

However, its not pointless, as every word in it, has meaning. Just very redundant.

I.E Words like Haffi, aren't just idiotic slang. It means "Have to", in Patois, to give one example from the track.

When you ah guh learn, same difference. Meaning, "when are you going to learn"

I could go on, but you get the point. The song is very irritating lyrically (or at least the chorus), but I hate when people say it lacks any meaning, as all of it makes sense (as shocking as this sounds).

As a Trinidadian I take offense to this ~ Nah jk jk Rihanna isn't Trini. She's Bajan.

Work is annoying and I'm no fan of Rihanna but those here calling the lyrics, shit, pointless, incomprehensible are pretty ignorant. She is singing in what we called creole english or patois, if you live in the Caribbean everyone speaks like that with each island having their own variations. It's no different from any other pop song lyrics.

Anyway for me:

Imagine Dragons

Pink Floyd

Twice

Beyoncé

Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip died of cancer. I imagine Canada has stopped and everyone is mourning. Glad Im in the US and missing all the maudlin tributes.

23 minutes ago, will123 said:

Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip died of cancer. I imagine Canada has stopped and everyone is mourning. Glad Im in the US and missing all the maudlin tributes.

I imagine this is like when I was in the Middle East when Reagan finally died. 

On 10/14/2017 at 3:53 AM, Rhaenys said:

As a Trinidadian I take offense to this ~ Nah jk jk Rihanna isn't Trini. She's Bajan.

Work is annoying and I'm no fan of Rihanna but those here calling the lyrics, shit, pointless, incomprehensible are pretty ignorant. She is singing in what we called creole english or patois, if you live in the Caribbean everyone speaks like that with each island having their own variations. It's no different from any other pop song lyrics.

Anyway for me:

Imagine Dragons

Pink Floyd

Twice

Beyoncé

8 hours ago, borkfork said:

Uh, Pink Floyd

I know what you mean about Pink Floyd, if you just went by what you heard on the radio. Yes I could see a person hating them. I enjoy their deep cuts, but some of it is overplayed. I made a comment to a co-worker back in the mid 80s about hating The Wall. He just about threw me off the floor the floor we were working on. I said, "Mark, every frigging day we hear I didn't particularly like the song when it was released and now I'm sick of it. Since then I've come to like Young Lust (how's that coming from an ace?).

I like RUSH, but hate Tom Sawyer with a passion. It's their Stairway To Heaven. Way too much airplay. I'm 56 and after hearing some songs played over and over and over again since I was a kid, it starts to get to you after a while.

Alright, smite me if you want but I have to say it, I also don't really like Black Sabbath or the Doors.

Edit: Also Guns N' Roses

I don't like Green Day or Oasis. Every time their music comes on the radio I change the channel. Plus, there's so much new hip-hop I can't stand

I'm sure there's plenty others that a lot of people love and I don't but I never pay attention to it. I ignore that which I don't like, is that horrible?

Archived