Artists/bands a lot of people like that you don't

Waist of Thyme

Waist of Thyme

Are there any musicians or groups a lot of people like that you don't?

I don't like AC/DC. They bring to mind a short old man wearing a costume of a shirtless 35 year old wearing black leather shorts, holding a rubber sledgehammer and having sex with a brown and white horse.

I also don't like Bruno Mars; he's creepy and reminds me of "nice guys" who think if they're nice to someone they're entitled to sex with them and accuse them of "friendzoning" if they don't get the sex they think they deserve.

I don't understand the hype about Nirvana

I find their music highly boring, yeah I understand that they have talent, but so do many other artists and are more pleasant to listen to, there music just sounds all mushy to me.

Also Adele, I find her music horribly boring, and I don't like her voice

Then there is others:

Pink Floyd, Skrillex, Daft Punk, Gun's and Roses, Bastille, Ellie Goulding, Joy Division, etc..

Oh the list could go on for ever

Radiohead.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

One Direction and Justin Bieber.

Also Paramore

mid-daymoon

Agreed. I've never been feeling the JB or One Direction.

I also don't like Bruno Mars; he's creepy and reminds me of "nice guys" who think if they're nice to someone they're entitled to sex with them and accuse them of "friendzoning" if they don't get the sex they think they deserve.

Bruno Mars drives me nuts and his high, whiny voice is extremely annoying.

INXS, most boy bands (not just One Direction, though they're the most recent addition to the list), Hootie and the Blowfish, Creed, AC/DC, Black Sabbath ... I'm sure there are others that'll come to mind later.

crayoncrackers

Drake, Bruno Mars, JB, flyleaf, Bring me the horizon, One Direction

NotAllHere

There are sooo many. Miley Cyrus, JB, One Direction... most pop bands; I'm not going to list them all. Flyleaf, My Darkest Days, Paramore. Just to name a few others.

LittleRabbit

Most "pop" music from the noughties onward. The processed cheese of music created by Simon Cowell (One Direction...all of the winners of his shows, etc) really irritates me, it's repetitive and unoriginal. It also is directly targeted to teenage girls with overly romanticized lyrics, when girls fall for it so easily and become overly obsessive about a band they'll forget in a year or so, it's annoying.

Also The Smiths..a lot of people seem to love them religiously, but I really have to be in a certain mood to listen to them. It's not that I completely hate them, but 90% of the time Morrissey's vocals which is literally like listening to unfiltered depression can be rather draining. Only occasionally do I end up shuffling to "This Charming Man" or something.

Another being Oasis...no words will describe my complete hatred for Liam Gallagher, perhaps its his personality or his whiney vocals that does it for me, but it's to the point where I need to turn the radio off when they begin playing, much to the chagrin of my Oasis obsessed friends. Oops.

One Direction, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars those sort of "artists"

Void in Color

I don't get rap at all. In most I've heard, the beat is flat, their voices sound whiny, and nothing they talk about has any substance. In fact, the only rap song that I've found that I like is Same Love, but only because of the message and irony of criticizing one's own genre.

SorryNotSorry

In my case it's usually the other way around... most people don't really care for the kinds of music I like.

But then again, I don't know anyone else with tastes in music more eclectic than mine.

i don't like U2 or Kings of Leon. they come to mind. I know people would say that s because other people like them but for kings of leon, i heard them back many years before they became megastars and just thought "meh"

Most of them really, because for the most part it is all "artificial" in a way that it is all made up and set up to generate profits.

Rush. They aren't terrible but to me they just sound incredibly bland. I'm Canadian and a lot of people seem to label them as the greatest Canadian band ever........ehhh.

littleheartsofjoy

In my case it's usually the other way around... most people don't really care for the kinds of music I like.

But then again, I don't know anyone else with tastes in music more eclectic than mine.

This, but minus the second sentence.

Last year was the first time I have ever had friends who listen to the same music as me. It's not unique or some kind of unknown thing, it's just that most people don't listen to it.

x2 U2. Bono can catch fire for all I care.

Also, I don't like any of those musicians any lesbian is said to have a CD of. Ani Di Franco, Indigo girls, Melissa Etheridge, K.D. Lang and so on. It all sounds terribly mediocre to me.

I agree with the a lot of the above posts about One Direction, Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, and Bruno Mars. One Direction, JB, and Miley Cyrus do have their share of haters, but almost nobody understands why I don't like Bruno Mars. Glad I'm not the only one!

Also Robin Thicke. Even if it wasn't for the rape-y/sexist lyrics that caused a huge controversy, Blurred Lines is awful. The first time I heard it I couldn't even make it all the way through; I had to stop listening because it was just boring and repetitive.

I also really can't stand Lorde. I appreciate that her lyrics try to be meaningful instead of just talking about sex and partying, but I absolutely cant stand her music. Everytime she's on the radio I have to switch it.

WhenSummersGone

Katy Perry (her voice and image are terrible), Rihanna for the same reason, Miley Cyrus and Coldplay. I've never liked Coldplay and Miley Cyrus is more a trainwreck these days than music. I actually don't mind Justin Bieber and One Direction that much.

radicalonion

With you guys on One Direction and Justin Bieber.

I guess there's Lorde. Maybe Green Day. The rest of the music I listen to are waaay too old or too unknown enough for most people to care about it.

Vivaldi Ives

One thing I've noticed is that often I'll start listening to a really popular artist and discover that I don't like their well-known songs, but I do like a few of their songs that don't get played over and over on the radio. For example, I can't stand Avril Lavigne's "Sk8er Boi" or "Girlfriend", or P!nk's "So What", but I like a few of their less-popular songs. It goes the other way for Lorde though--I like "Royals" but I tried listening to more of her music and couldn't get into it.

My music collection is full of stuff I would guess most people don't listen to. I have a lot of classical-ish pop (not sure if there's a better name for it) like Josh Groban and Andrea Bocelli, lots of both vocal and instrumental Celtic music, some Christian music, some electronic music, a little bit of folk and '50s-'60s rock and roll...though in all those areas I tend to collect really in-depth for certain artists instead of having lots of artists within the same genre. According to my computer, I have 194 Andrea Bocelli songs and 94 John Denver songs!

And I agree with others on this thread, not really sure why Justin Bieber, One Direction, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, etc. are as famous as they are. And I don't understand the obsession with Lady Gaga. Again, I like a few of her songs but she just comes off as really weird and full of herself.

Finally, I have a lot more respect for musicians who actually write their own music and aren't heavily "produced"-sounding.

Bruno Mars, justin bieber, pink, and a few others. For me its the song, not the artist that makes or breaks it. But those have no songs I like.

elleba_wolf

i really don't understand why any of the popular music is so popular...but hey, i indulge in it sometimes when i feel like it, it's not like pop music gives you cancer or anything. i guess it's meant to be simple, like fast food for your ears

I've got no time for The Beatles.

Nirvana are just dreary and dullto me...and they resulted in the genericness that is/are the Foo Fighters.

I don't listen to the radio much (only in work on a Friday), so I miss out on most of the current pop singers/groups. I don't mind One Direction though...they've got some catchy songs and I find them a lot more bearable than the likes of Rihanna,Ellie Goulding and that dweeb Pitbull.

Well, aside from the already stated Bieber, One D, and other 'processed cheese pop' (thanks to LittleRabbit for that gem), I have a few of my own.

I really don't understand what the big fuss is about Beyonce. Like, she's pretty good at what she does- she's a solid singer, and she's a pretty cool person, but I'm not one of those people who worships her like some kind of goddess. No thank you. Give me Tarja Turunen or Simone Simons any day of the week, and I will swoon away, but not Queen Bey.

Also, for something a bit less pop-flavored, I don't get why Ingrid Michaelson is as praised as she is. Again, she's good at what she does, and unlike Beyonce, she writes all of her lyrics herself, which I respect, but I just don't see the huge appeal. It's not as if she is the next Paul Simon or Sinead O'Connor or anything; she's just a pretty decent folk re-revival singer.

Archived