Do we need a disambiguos word to explain more than a squish but less than a crush?

Morgen/Tara

So what should we call a if anything "not quite a squish, not quute a crush"?  

1. 1. which word do you think is most suitable?

• Squash
    • semi-crush
    • Squeeze
    • it doesn't need a word
    • grey-crush
    • other- please leave suggestions bellow

This poll is closed to new votes

Morgen/Tara

any one can vote, asexual, sexual romantic ect

just interested in peoples opinions :P

Morgen/Tara

put that's for just platonic, what about if there's a little bit of romantic attraction associated with it sometimes....

So you have a little romantic interest for someone, I don't see why we'd need a word for that. Even if one is chosen, you'd have to explain what it means every time, which means that you can basically skip the word and explain what you feel.

"I like you. But not in the usual way."

I agree with ith., and that would be my answer. It is easier to tell them this than it is to explain a term they may have never heard. And gets closer to the point in a much quicker way, too.

I agree with ith., and that would be my answer. It is easier to tell them this than it is to explain a term they may have never heard. And gets closer to the point in a much quicker way, too.

Plus, if you use a strange word, they may think you're kinda too weird, and that may be counter-productive if you're interested in a relationship with them. I'm just trying to picture this situation where a person approaches someone to tell them they have a dssjdkfhskuefcrush on them, and they walk away slowly, for their own safety.

This seems kinda excessive. It's like coming up with another term between no, yes, and maybe.

TheKindredSoul

There does not need to be a word. Romantic and Aromantic feelings are confusing even with words... :/

Plus, if you use a strange word, they may think you're kinda too weird, and that may be counter-productive if you're interested in a relationship with them. I'm just trying to picture this situation where a person approaches someone to tell them they have a dssjdkfhskuefcrush on them, and they walk away slowly, for their own safety.

Yeah, and I have enough problems as it is trying not to look too, weird :lol:

I use this concept constantly, saying crush/squish, but it's just me being confused what is what, when it comes down to it, so I don't know if a word would help...

Other.

The term squish sounds gross to me because it makes me actually think of the squish sound when you step on a bug or in a giant puddle or something. Yuck!

We should use a word that sounds cute.

How about "ouch"? :P

I don't think there needs to be another word. If you have a major squish, it's still a squish. If you have a little crush, it's still a crush. Otherwise....why not "scrush"? It's a mix between the two.

Whatever word you use for anything -- object, person, process, whatever -- needs to be easily understood. Can you think of some understandings that people will have when they hear the word "squash"? I can, too, and none of them have anything to do with feelings toward another person. :rolleyes:

I've heard the word "crush" used by people from 13 through my own old age. It's already in the societal consciousness; everyone understands it when it's used in context. Why not use it?

5_♦♣

There doesn't need to be a word, just tell them how you feel about them.

Arctangent

I don't think of my attractions in platonic/romantic terms, so I usually just say I'm emotionally and intellectually attracted to someone. I think that conveys the nature of the attraction pretty well without being too confusing.

put that's for just platonic, what about if there's a little bit of romantic attraction associated with it sometimes....

No, queerplatonic isn't "just platonic." Thus the queer.

It is between platonic and romantic; squish and crush; a queerplatonic relationship can come off as romantic to people who don't know they aren't dating. Its not quite romantic but too strong to be typically platonic. Queerplatonic can be so physically or emotionally or both. And it doesn't have to be mutual or known to the other person (aka a queerplatonic crush).

Probably just easier to explain how you feel

I voted it doesn't need a word.

WhenSummersGone

Semi-crush sounds good to me. I've had crushes that weren't as strong as some other crushes.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I don't think we need one, "I like you this way but not this, this or this way" is sufficient I think :)

Do we need a disambiguos word to explain more than a squish but less than a crush?.....No

• 4 months later...

The asexual lexicon is rapidly becoming over-complicated as it is. As squish and crush are things you do to a wasp or fly then why not swot, splat, squash if you must.

Don´t we already have enough words? It could go on and on forever, like something between crush and semi-crush, something between semi-crush and X.... I think it´s a problem of overthinking, not of missing labels.

• 1 month later...
TheLandsBeyond

Each person can decide how they label themselves and their relationships. If someone feels like using another word for feelings that are in between a squish and a crush, then they should go ahead and use that. I personally don't feel a need to use a different term to describe my feelings, but who am I to tell someone that they can't use/create a label to describe how they feel?

It's difficult to imagine someone over the age of 50 using the word "squish". And there are going to be more and more asexuals over the age of 50 popping their heads up in the next few years...

Now I'm imagining a group of elderly ladies sitting around in an old folks' residence, discussing their latest squishes over a game of Old Maid and some cups of tea.

Elderly, hell (what a yucky word that is). We're old, and we don't play Old Maid (whatever that is) and some of us hate tea. But we're not teens either.

There are two burgeoning populations of asexuals: teens/20s, and over-50s. Let's use words that don't completely turn off one whole population, because we need everyone we can get.

Grr.

I was trying to avoid saying the word 'old' too many times because it sounds awkward and I don't like my writing to sound awkward. :P Old Maid is a card game... which ironically, I'm not sure I've played since my teens. And scotch or espresso or hot lemon water are alternative beverage options.

So's Coke or just about anything else. "Old" is perfectly acceptable, because we know we're old and other stuff sounds like creepy euphemisms. Especially "senior" -- young people aren't called "juniors", because that would be patronizing.

GRrrrrrrrrrr. Hate euphemisms.

You know something? I remember you saying that about the use of the word 'old' years ago, and I've made a conscious effort many times to make sure I don't use silly euphemisms... but in this case, I was torn between using the word 'old' three times and coming up with an alternative. The importance of writing style won out, haha.

(But I swear that's true; I think of you when I hear terms like 'elderly' and 'seniors', and 'seniors' especially bugs the shit out of me as well.)

I am un-grr-ing. :lol:

Archived