Types of Music/asexual listeners

Bookworm42

1. 1. Do you listen to music?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
  2. 2. Do you think your sexual/romantic orientation has an influence on the type of music you listen to?

• Definitely
    • No
    • Not sure
  3. 3. If you do listen to music, what kinds of music do you listen to?

• Pop/Hip hop
    • Country
    • Rock/alternative
    • Jazz
    • Other (leave a comment and tell us?)

This poll is closed to new votes

My taste in music has nothing to do with my sexuality. I listen to the GazettE (though one of their sex songs made me cringe .."Forbidden Beaver anyone?), EXO, SNSD, Marilyn Manson, Alice in Chains, Slipknot and Korn mostly. Been getting a lot into Iggy Azalea lately.

I'm not entirely sure if being asexual affects my taste in music. I learned and played music that I was told to. I was a total music slave. So my biggest expertise is classical music, though I'm not super interested in it. My interest is just knowing stuff about it. I actually prefer playing songs from the Romantic Period, which I mostly play from Liszt and Chopin. I was just told that tranquil, slow, romantic music was good so I kind of listen to that. So because music slave, I had no interest in finding music I liked. I liked a few video game OSTs but that was about it. Mom would introduce me to some of her old 70s, 80s pop songs. I've found that most of these songs have something to do with love, holding your SO, lust, or something. The ones I like to listen to now, I don't like them for the lyrics, just the melody. I just find certain tunes catchy. Since I can't really love, if I ever say or sing the word, I just say it halfway like luh because I can't fathom it coming from my mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

I like androgynous electronic music, such as Kraftwerk and Jean Michel Jarre, along with hardcore dance, rave, garage. I do like rock, metal country, and most other genres of mainstream music. I hate smoochie slow love songs though.

I put rock/alternative, jazz, and other...I also listen to classical, and I don't even know what to consider Scott Walker's recent output...whom I listen to more than anyone apart from Bowie lately...

• 1 month later...

I listen to various kinds of music. Such as:

• classical,
  • 80's, 60's, 50's
  • swing
  • contemporary classical/ experimental music (Alfred Schnittke, Philip Glass, Krzysztof Penderecki etc.)
drjohnhwatson

I have a pretty eclectic musical taste, but I really love:

• classic rock
  • classical music
  • pop
  • irish music
  • musicals
  • themes to japanese TV shows

i can especially listen to Irish music. It just feels like home to me :P.

I clicked "other" so here's some of the stuff I listen to:

Mumford & Sons... they might fit into "alternative" but I don't really know where to put them :D

Right now I'm really into soundtracks. From anything. TV shows, movies, games... I have songs from the Hobbit movies, tracks from HTTYD and the game "Journey"... currently I'm listening to the tracks from Over the Garden Wall. I just love soundtracks :redface:

I listen to classical music sometimes, mostly because I play piano. Chopin is my favorite (to listen to; he's really hard to play)

wildphoenix1984

I listen to anything that isn't rap, though crooners, country and swing have been known to irritate me.

Pop isn't hip hop. The fact those two are linked together is really wrong on so many levels. Firstly hip hop is the movement, consisting of b boys/girls, emceeing, tagging, and djing. Hip hop isn't a musical genre, that would be rap.

Those options are totally lacking......and it makes me sad to see what I listen too thrown in with crappy pop music. Rap never should have been pop because it is about the struggles of the minority and calling attention to the problems of our society. It is social commentary of a neglected group.

Pop is a record company product to make money and exploit those who make the music. The two are not the same.

• 1 month later...

I definitely think my being ace influences my music choices. I have never been a fan of descriptive and/or overly sexualized lyrics. I do agree that some of them have the best beat though. I listen to rock/alternative and admittedly some pop but I just can't when it comes to rap/hiphop. Maybe that's because it's expected of me.

I mostly only listen to music when I'm driving. And in that case I almost exclusively listen to classical music.

I have a bunch of pop-ish and canadian country music on my phone that I will occasionally listen to while working. but I find most modern music incredibly boring. I am happy going back to my classical music in my car.

supersymmetry

I really like Baroque, Classical, Romantic era stuff, and Modern, but not the usual kind. More like weird avant-garde orchestrations? I don't care for much of the modern music genres at all.

I'd never given it thought, but maybe this does have something to do with me being ace...

Sage Raven Domino

My orientation definitely has a say in my playlist formation, namely, I have to avoid romantically suggestive songs, as well as obviously depressive songs; that leaves me with a rather narrow selection; the genres I find the freest from both shortcomings are 'weak' subgenres of metal like power metal with its anthems to the power of the human, metalcore (some, but not all, bands / songs).

It has some effect.. like finding out the meaning of the Rebel Yell song took it down a few pegs for me, and it's kind of.. "tainted" to me now? xD

Or like that Kevin Rudolph song? Lil Wayne's part completely killed the song for me because it was so dumb and didn't fit with the rest of it or anything.

Other times it's fine, like some romantic songs are like awwwww <3 or like Studio Killers' Eros and Apollo, but yeah, when things go on about dating/sex stuff, while not a guarantee that I'll not like it, significantly reduces the chance, because it's so tired and cliche and it's been done over and over and I'm just like "guh, old news, shut the hell up and get over yourself, I can see your dribble from here" An odd reverse example is "Let's Talk About Sex" because it goes on about being responsible about it, understanding the risks and promotes sex ed, so I have a newfound respect for that song. I just thought it was giggle-inducingly naughty when I was little, but when I listened to it a few months ago, it actually impressed me.

Usually, it just makes me feel a bit awkward/uncomfortable, so I do tend to avoid them in general.

The stuff I listen to the most is various types of metal, but I also switch it up a lot, too.. I'm open to most styles of music, I just tend to find metal/hard rock to be my main stomping grounds. UuU

I also really love spooky songs, like Halloween or B-Movie themed and stuff like that. Creature Feature's a good example of this. I fucking love that band. UuU

Those options are totally lacking......and it makes me sad to see what I listen too thrown in with crappy pop music. Rap never should have been pop because it is about the struggles of the minority and calling attention to the problems of our society. It is social commentary of a neglected group.

Pop is a record company product to make money and exploit those who make the music. The two are not the same.

You know, I had a feeling "underground"/non-mainstream rap was something like that... at least partly because what counts as metal on the radio/mainstream is a joke.

The poll is pretty basic, there isn't even an option for electronic stuff, let alone extreme music or prog/experimental shit. I guess they just wanted to be as broad as possible. I suppose that's why they put the "other" option heh

My favorite music genres tend to fluctuate :blush:

What I listen to now:

R&B/Soul

Classical

Contemporary Folk

• 2 weeks later...

for study/work- sometimes classical, string or solo piano, or german electronic

(I can't speak german, so the vocals aren't as distracting)

• 3 weeks later...

Rock music, Hip Hop/Rap and Electronic music such as Dubstep, Trance, Progressive House etc.

I'll listen to Pop or "oldies" every now and then, but not as often.

The genres could have been more extensive. Pop and hip-hop don't belong together at all. I like hip-hop but not pop. Alternative is just another type of rock music. Really, rock is closer to pop than hip-hop is. There's also no classical or metal options. No punk either. :/

Yup, I think my orientation has a little bit to do with my music taste. Around age 12 I got really sick of all the love songs and break up songs on the radio I just completely changed genres. I listen to alternative/indie and EDM mostly along with some occasional kpop. Alternative/indie generally doesn't have like romantic/sexual lyrics, EDM occasionally does though most don't, and with kpop even if the songs are love songs I wouldn't really be aware of it since I don't speak Korean. Those genres also just sound really cool to me so that too haha

Showtunes, opera, and classical.

If I had a partner or fit in with others, I'd probably branch out to other music, but being the recluse I am, I stick to what I'm interested in. So I know it's definitely influenced by lifestyle. And the hypersexualization of music is never something that has even occurred to me!

I voted for rock/alternative and jazz, but I also LOVE ska and soul! And, even though I'm aromantic, I love a lot of love songs (mostly because I can relate some of them to non-romantic love).

I voted "no" for whether my asexuality impacts the music I listen to, but I guess I am very quickly disturbed by the sexual themes in music. Thing is, my mom always played Christian rock/alternative when I was a kid, and I still listen to that, predominantly.

i only realised recently that hardly any of the songs in my itunes top 25 most played are love songs, at least in any conventional sense. as it's not intentional i wouldn't say it's directly related to my orientation, but maybe it is a bit. i am not aromantic but i guess i do avoid aggressively sexual songs a lot of the time. not because the content makes me uncomfortable but just because it seems a bit crass a lot of the time. then there are artists like fka twigs who sing openly about sex and i don't mind at all. i guess it's all down to the delivery and how ~tacky or otherwise it seems. interesting to think about.

I lesson to instrumental music for the most part. It's mostly "heavier". By that I mean a lot of drums, heavy strings. I don't know, stuff with some umpth.

Lizzytreble13

I enjoy top 40 pop music, but I love classical music! #orchestraforlife #Tchaikovskyismytruelove

I find it hard to answer questions about music, as I love so many different types! I just love music that makes me want to move and dance - that can be anything from rock'n'roll to country to pop to metal to folk to... well, anything. ^_^

Mostly these days I'll be found listening to swing, because my daughter prefers that, or psychobilly.

EverythingAtOnce

I listen to so many types of music, dabbling in most types. I love Scottish/Irish, Celtic, Metal+ (metalcore, hardcore, nu metal, etc.), lots of classical, and even some bluegrass depending on the day. The only two genres I refuse to listen to are rap and country, simply from a supersaturation when I was a younger kid.

I've always mainly listened to video game soundtracks. I dunno, I was just never interested in turning on the radio or felt the need to listen to whatever I heard from the radio a second time. I always liked listening the sounds from the background of a video game. I'm always playing some video game soundtrack when I'm on the internet and I do get picky whenever I play a game gives me a choice of what song to use. Lately I've been addicted to listening to BlazBlue's soundtrack.

Archived