Types of Music/asexual listeners

Bookworm42

1. 1. Do you listen to music?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
  2. 2. Do you think your sexual/romantic orientation has an influence on the type of music you listen to?

• Definitely
    • No
    • Not sure
  3. 3. If you do listen to music, what kinds of music do you listen to?

• Pop/Hip hop
    • Country
    • Rock/alternative
    • Jazz
    • Other (leave a comment and tell us?)

This poll is closed to new votes

Bookworm42

So, I know that a lot of music now is very closely related to sex/has sexual themes and I wanted to see if you guys thought that being an asexual turned you off to those types of music or if you didn't care.

Personally, I listen to a little bit of everything and it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, the ones with sexual themes are the best dance songs for when you're home alone. ;)

I'd rather be in band.

I also listen to classical music as well. In fact, I am really into Handel's music right now.

There may be certain patterns I like in music, but I don't think it's limited to any certain genre. I agree that much of the music inspired by sexual themes have excellent beats and rhythms for dancing, but I'll admit I do have a threshold for what words are used when they have them. I like it when the lyrics aren't repeating all the damn time and actually have thought and depth to them. There is a lot more music that I'm indifferent to and don't like, with much fewer that I do. I'm also a bit odd about a certain male vocal pitch or voice that's being used recently in a lot of pop music. Maybe it's something with the synthesizers or the way that they are singing but alot of different people end up sounding like the same person singing. I can't really complain because I know there are some vocalists I like that other people can't stand.

-_- i could have sworn i clicked yes but the poll results say no

alpacaterpillar

I like a wide variety, though with a sort of focus on classical and jazz. However my absolute favourite is tango, which is apparently meant to be very erotic :blink:

Squirrel Combat

Seriously, classical deosn't have its own little box? That's the most important genre of them all. That's what I listen to almost exclusively. I'm in a big Schubert phase right now.

Classical can be sexy and erotic. There was a guy at my college who wrote a song called Sexy and the singer was instructed by the music about halfway into the song to orgasm on stage (or at least fake one). :lol:

Kavan Leif

I listen to a lot of mainstream kpop and pop, I don't really understand what they're saying but I love the beats.

If I feel like listening something I can understand, relate and enjoy I usually listen to Josh Groban <3

But something I enjoy greatly and completely diverts from my tastes is choir music, I especially enjoy Libera and I have all of their albums. It brings me to a whole new level of inner peace and lifts me up in hard times.

But there's so many awesome music out there that it's a waste not give it a chance :)

Squirrel Combat, on 20 May 2014 - 7:38 PM, said:

Seriously, classical deosn't have its own little box? That's the most important genre of them all. That's what I listen to almost exclusively. I'm in a big Schubert phase right now.

Classical can be sexy and erotic. There was a guy at my college who wrote a song called Sexy and the singer was instructed by the music about halfway into the song to orgasm on stage (or at least fake one). :lol:

Schubert, Chopin, and Haydn. When I want to laugh at the over-the-topness, Mahhhhhler.

LadyNobody

Other genres I listen to besides pop/hip hop and rock/alternative:

Various forms of electronica (not EDM as much as good computer-generated music)

Classical (especially Beethoven)

Power/folk metal

World music (yes, this is a genre)

Various modernized styles with influences from Celtic and classical music that I haven't figured out the genre names for yet

I think my asexuality only influences my choice of music when the lyrics are extremely over-the-top sexually to the point of offensive and the song has no other redeeming qualities. Otherwise, I like just about anything decent besides country, and have a preference for anything that involves a well-played violin.

NinjaRobot

I listen to some pop (mainly 90s stuff), so I ticked pop/hip-hop, even though I don't like hip-hop. I also ticked rock and other. Metal is my favourite type of music, particularly symphonic, folk, and nu metal (nu metal gets a lot of shit, and I hate the name, but it's what got me into metal, and many bands are actually awesome, so I don't understand the hate). I also love the cello, and I love Rasputina, though there's not much out there like them.

I don't think my sexuality influences my music at all. It's just what I've heard and found appealing to the ears. If anything, it's my sister's sexuality that influenced my taste in music, as it was her boyfriend who got her into metal, who in turn got me into metal, way back ten years ago.

littleheartsofjoy

Yes, I listen to music, and being ace hasn't influenced the kind of music for me. I just don't like to listen to music that I'll feel embarrassed about singing along with in public. Songs that might be a bit sexual or have sexual lines in them, I just feel uncomfortable saying such things aloud, because I'm a prude.

I checked other, I listen to Contemporary Christian music.

I like pop (mostly 70's, 80's and some 90's), classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal (mostly the "hair" bands from the 80's), a small amount of country (not enough for me to check the box, most songs/performers are from the 70's and early 80's and were also played on pop stations back then) and some classical music (would have checked the box for that had there been one).

I don't mind songs that are about romance and sex (there are only a very few I don't like because of sexual references, and that's because I find those songs to be crude) at all since I grew up in the 70s and 80s and pretty much all songs on the radio back then (other than classical, of course, and maybe a few other smaller genres) were about that stuff.

I listen to pop/rock/indie mostly, but I find songs with overtly sexual lyrics really off-putting? I feel like more artists are trying to be liberal and it winds up getting quite vulgar.

I love music, and I listen to all genres. Music calms me and gets me through some rough patches.

I listen to metal, rock and sometimes soundtracks to the movies and I actively avoid music about sex. So go to Hell, silly glam metal. :P

Sir_Lord_Brit

Classic rock, classical, grunge rock, lots of other stuff. I like all sorts of music.

InoSasuke18

I will listen to anything but right now I mostly listen to 80's rock/heavy metal, celtic influence music and alternative rock. I tend not to listen to pop music because I find it stupid and meaningless unless it's a really good song or it has a good message.

Synchrèse

Death metal is probably the least romantic musical (sub)genre, but I think it has nothing to do with what I feel. I listen to many different stuff, from classical music through jazz to funk and rock. I definitely prefer the lyrics without any sexual references, and actually I love not to understand them at all, so I can fully focus on the voice itself and not on what's being said.

If it's not in one of the 'ambient' categories, then it's something instrumental. I usually prefer music in the background and I've found most vocalists just get in the way.

You can see one of my favorite 'categories' in my signature...and the 'others' are Post-Punk [ie Joy Division, The Clash and The Cure] and Early Electronika [ie Kraftwerk].

On reflection; my sexual orientation does contribute to my dislike of present-pop, particularly in video form. Every aspect of it; the lyrics, the music and visual images, are de-meaning to every gender.

When these 'artists' [or social architects] hit the screen...I reach for the remote! Ciao

I pretty much exist for music and listen to oldies rock, some modern rock/pop, classical, some metal, showtunes, jazz. Almost anything except rap and hip-hop really. My sexual orientation doesn't limit the music I listen to, although, like espresso above me, I find some lyrics very demeaning and refuse to listen to those songs.

I'm really bad with music genres. If I stumble upon a song I like then I will listen to it but it could be from any kind of genre (except maybe jazz and dubstep). My romantic/sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with it. I suck at understanding lyrics anyway so they usually don't bother me. :P

ChihuahuaDaddy

The types of music I listen to has more to do with my moods than any romantic or sexual orientation.

Firstly.....Pop and hip hop do not belong together at ALL!

That just kills me to see the two being lumped as one....ouch.

I listen to jungle/rap/dnb/jazz.

I don't think my sexuality has any affect on my music tastes.

I listen to a lot of things, but mostly black metal, hard rock, electronica, and folk metal.

I listen to a lot of Japanese electronic music.

Here's an example:

Janus the Fox
Video game soundtracks mostly, but also a bit of happy hardcore.
arcaneEnthusiast

I listen to dubstep and movie/video game soundtracks as well. A lot of the music I like doesn't have lyrics

Archived