Celebrity asexuals?

sexnointerest

How come no one has mentioned Sherlock Holmes? I know he's a fictional character, but in every rendition I've seen he's been pretty ace.

Janeane Garofalo. If memory serves, there's a whole segment in her 2010 stand-up If You Will about her being asexual and in a celibate relationship, explicitly saying the word and all. I've found this quote from there: "I don't have a fear of intimacy, I have sort of a genuine lack of interest. Which is not good for my boyfriend of ten years."

some info

I was curious because I had no clue who Janeane Garofalo was so I went and watched that stand-up and, while she does state she's asexual and says the quoted bit, she does imply that she used to have interest before (although she says she's never had much of a libido). It's also implied in some of her more recent stuff that her lack of interest might be a consequence of taking some sort of drug that acts as an anti-depressant. I watched some of her earlier stand-up - specifically, the HBO half-hour from '95 - and she discusses sex a bit. And while she isn't the most enthusiastic about it - she discusses wanting a car where the space allows you to make-out but not have sex comfortably and only having actual sex when drunk - I don't get the impression she'd actually identify with the asexual community's definitions of asexuality.

She does say this in 'If You Will', though (sort of paraphrasing here): 'People often mistake me for lesbian and Jewish. I tell them they give me too much credit. I'm actually asexual and an atheist.'

How come no one has mentioned Sherlock Holmes? I know he's a fictional character, but in every rendition I've seen he's been pretty ace.

Well, as far as Moffat's version goes, I know he has said that 'asexual is boring' and that Sherlock is definitely not ace, even though Cumberbatch has stated he plays him as such. In the Elementary version I believe he sees sex as something he needs to do every once in a while to keep himself from becoming distracted from his work, so I'm not sure he's technically ace. In the books version, I'd say he's very ace, but since it's never discussed (that I recall), he could be having those feelings but he doesn't act on them because he doesn't want to spend time in non-work stuff. (I.e. he could be interpreted more as the portrayal of an extreme workaholic rather than an asexual, I think).

I still view Sherlock as being ace, partly because of his indifference to the fair sex. I am talking about the original work primarily, I feel like the remakes have a tendency to get that all sorts of confused. Probably why I think that the Elementary and Robert Downey Jr. versions are sort of blah.

I was discussing this with my mother today and we came to the conclusion that it's most likely that Miranda Kerr could be Demi. She made Orlando Bloom wait six months before she even kissed him and in every interview, it seems like this is just natural for her.

Babydoll_13

Idk, I'm kinda hoping to be an actress and speak more about asexuality(as well as bullying, self harm and such, like Demi Lovato). Because we are a very tiny group compared to others. Not to mention that some people are afraid to come out because it's "abnormal" or something stupid like that...

• 3 months later...
Quintus Crinis

So, I had another thought about this : if the 1% estimate of asexuals in the worldwide population is even half correct, then there must certainly be more celebrity asexuals out there than the few who have come out or the ones we suspect are ace. Could it be the reason why more celebrities have not come out as ace is because they fear it would harm their careers ? Take Taylor swift for instance (and I am not saying she is ace, only she can confirm that and she has not done so) if she did come out as ace, would her songs about relationships seem disingenuous and would this have an effect on her marketability ?

So I realise this is re-opening an inactive thread, but just saw this episode of the Graham Norton show the other day - can't find a shorter clip by itself unfortunately - but about 19 minutes in I noticed the black ring (albeit on the left index finger) and phrases "figuring out who I am" (in mid-twenties) and "romantic relationship" (the second one being a phrase I've only heard used in the Ace community)?:

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it but now wondering if it was meant to be significant?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04l3xyw/the-graham-norton-show-series-16-episode-3

EmotionalAndroid

I've wondered about Taylor Swift, but I really hope she is NOT ace. Taylor Swift has a reputation of being prudish and judgmental- it would only reinforce negative stereotypes about asexuals.

For all the lithromantics out there, I've always wondered about Dante Alighieri.

I sort of hope she isn't ace, but not for this same reason. Being prudish isn't bad. I am certainly prudish...

Totally Schwuaat?

Was Nikola Tesla Ace? I know that he was far more interested in his work than dating women and, IIRC, he was supposed to be fairly attractive despite his disinterest.

Then again, he also had a sort of 'thing' for one of his pigeons that he wrote about in a journal. I think I'm getting most of this from an Oatmeal article that was posted some years back (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla).

Prince Myshkin from Dostoevsky's "The Idiot" is portrayed as being asexual, quite explicitely.

I've wondered about Taylor Swift, but I really hope she is NOT ace. Taylor Swift has a reputation of being prudish and judgmental- it would only reinforce negative stereotypes about asexuals.

For all the lithromantics out there, I've always wondered about Dante Alighieri.

I sort of hope she isn't ace, but not for this same reason. Being prudish isn't bad. I am certainly prudish...
i put taylor swift asexual into google and this came up

http://jezebel.com/5975110/harry-styles-dumped-taylor-swift-because-shes-an-asexual-antiques-enthusiast

a lot of links on this subject but the first seems to be http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/01/harry-styles-dumped-taylor-swift-because-shes-asexual-wouldnt-put-out-says-insider/ with the other links being a copy and paste of this article

and looking at that radaronline.com website, i don't see that it is reliable

Don't worry guys, I'll become famous and let everyone know how cool asexuals are xxxxx

Not sure if he counts seeing as he's a historical figure, but I always figured Nikola Tesla was asexual, I read a quote from him once where he said something about being completely disinterested in women and I'd never read anything to indicate he might have been any other sexuality, that and he stayed single forever so I like to believe he was :)

What about Kevin Spacey? He's not married, and I've never heard of him being in a relationship.

SorryNotSorry

I wonder if the 1% as a population-wide statistic is not represented in celebrities due to the nature of how celebrities are selected for?

I suspect it's something like that.

The "kingmakers" who decide who gets to be a celebrity and who doesn't, probably don't want to rock the boat by displeasing The Powers That Be who dictate that the sex-for-the-sake-of-sex culture is for everyone.

Ergo, any celebrity who admits to asexuality would be committing professional suicide. No agent would dare to deal with them.

There are a number of gay stars who have come out in the last few years, when it has become more accepted. We have no idea how many others haven't done so, and we have no idea how many celebrities are either closeted gays, or asexual. If they don't want to say so, we don't know. (And re Kevin Spacey, he could very well have a relationship with someone, just as Jim Parsons and others have for years without the public knowing.)

• 1 month later...

Mike Skinner AKA the Streets is Demisexual. He is now married with a child.

Since most celebrities aren't very open and honest anyway, we'll probably never know.

What about that guy from deal or no deal? The germ a phob???

Was Nikola Tesla Ace? I know that he was far more interested in his work than dating women and, IIRC, he was supposed to be fairly attractive despite his disinterest.

Then again, he also had a sort of 'thing' for one of his pigeons that he wrote about in a journal. I think I'm getting most of this from an Oatmeal article that was posted some years back (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla).

I thought that too. I like to hope he was, because I need more scientific aces in my life.

Howie Mandel is married and has several children.

BlurredTheLines

(certainly set-off my "ace-dar" if such a thing exists?).

I used to say 'Spadar' (spade-ar) as in, ace of spades, before I knew that aces of hearts and diamonds were a thing too!

Forgive me of my lack of knowledge and slightly derailing the topic, but what do you mean by "ace of spades", "ace of hearts", and "ace of diamonds"? I'm fairly new here, and I am unfamiliar with these terms.

(certainly set-off my "ace-dar" if such a thing exists?).

I used to say 'Spadar' (spade-ar) as in, ace of spades, before I knew that aces of hearts and diamonds were a thing too!

Forgive me of my lack of knowledge and slightly derailing the topic, but what do you mean by "ace of spades", "ace of hearts", and "ace of diamonds"? I'm fairly new here, and I am unfamiliar with these terms.

Aromantic is ace of spades, romantic is ace of hearts and I think greys are ace of diamonds :)

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/69712-aces-and-card-suit-nicknames/

^^ This thread might help :D

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm back to this forum after not posting in the past months.

I wonder if you know Debbie Reynolds, the actress from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2896761/Debbie-Reynolds-candidly-reveals-lack-desire-led-demise-marriages.html

Does it imply that she's asexual?

• 7 months later...
Mr. Quickhands

Is it just me or is that article very poorly written? All the same, what it suggests is disturbing -- that wild sexual allegations from the media will come up purely on the basis that someone doesn't have a sexual history. And the tone seems to be that the author and their colleagues are very reluctantly drawing the conclusion that he may be asexual because evidence seems to rule out anything else. And then there are the last few sentences:

We find it difficult to believe that anyone can be genuinely asexual. But I think Heath probably was such an individual; and most of his friends and colleagues to whom I talked in researching my book agreed.

I expect and hope that this allegation will prove as baseless as the other whispers that have occasionally circulated in the past.

The first sentence is infuriating for obvious reasons... but the last sentence? I really really hope that's a misunderstanding from the author's terrible writing. It's very unclear whether they're referring to the sex allegations or their own asexuality allegation, I really hope it's not the latter.

Is it just me or is that article very poorly written? All the same, what it suggests is disturbing -- that wild sexual allegations from the media will come up purely on the basis that someone doesn't have a sexual history. And the tone seems to be that the author and their colleagues are very reluctantly drawing the conclusion that he may be asexual because evidence seems to rule out anything else. And then there are the last few sentences:

We find it difficult to believe that anyone can be genuinely asexual. But I think Heath probably was such an individual; and most of his friends and colleagues to whom I talked in researching my book agreed.

I expect and hope that this allegation will prove as baseless as the other whispers that have occasionally circulated in the past.

The first sentence is infuriating for obvious reasons... but the last sentence? I really really hope that's a misunderstanding from the author's terrible writing. It's very unclear whether they're referring to the sex allegations or their own asexuality allegation, I really hope it's not the latter.

That is definitely referring to the allegations of pedophilia rather than allegations of asexuality.

Mr. Quickhands

Yeah agreed that's what the author's intent was. It really doesn't make sense the other way around, but jeez the writing is sloppy.

Paula Poundstone is asexual; she's said so, though I wonder if she knows about the asexual community. Nonetheless, in her book "There's Nothing in This Book That I Meant to Say", she has some quotes that imply this:

"I am not, at this time, a virgin myself, but I don't like sex, so I abstain, which should certainly be at least a cousin to virgin, perhaps deserving something in an honorary title. Should I become a beloved hero in my time, my followers could refer to me as 'the virginish.'" -page 14

"I was blown away, however, when he barked at me, 'What do you like? Men or women?' I was stunned. Are they allowed to ask that?...The big hand-pupoet jailer continued to stare at me, demanding an answer, so I tried to decide. I looked at the female detective and thought, I hate her, and I looked back at the [male] jailer and thought, This big fat mean guy turns my stomach.... It wouldn't be fair to eliminate an entire gender based on either of these lousy specimens." -page 42

Howie Mandel? he's married and has kids,

Archived