So, there's a new flag for being asexual

eched

So, I found this website and it has a new flag for being asexual.

http://www.asexualprideottawa.ca/

It says it's reasoning is that the current flag was made for AVEN(it wasn't really, but you could say it's very related to this site) and that the current flag also stands for other sexualities like grey asexual, where as this one is asexual specific.

So, now we have two flags. What does everyone else think of this?

SecondMoon

I'm thinking, why go with a rectangle? Everyone goes for a freaking rectangle.

Stripes? Check.

Somebody make me something I haven't seen before. Something that doesn't gaf.

ObsessedWithCats

I certainly wont be using it (it says the fuchsia represents romance and I'm aro - this comes across as a flag for romantic asexuals) and I can't see it really overtaking AVEN's flag but I do think it's probably healthy for asexual symbols to emerge outside AVEN sometimes and this seems like a good start on that.

Edit: I also kind of feel like the green, which they use to emphasise that asexuality is natural, could inadvertently alienate asexuals who feel there is a reason they're asexual that isn't necessarily a natural part of them, but fit the definition of asexual and find the asexual community one they can identify with and get support from anyway.

Guest Lady.Lizard

I'm not very fond of it, it doesn't seem to show the spectrum, which our little triangle does.

But it's nice to see more sites getting involved in Ace pride and helping to move it into more public eyes.

Well... the colours are.... um.... certainly bright. The letter "A" for Asexual? Very.... um... clever.

I think I'll be sticking with the old flag.

DarkDragonn

I'm not fond of that new flag. Like Cats. said, this flag alienates aros. I also feel like it comes across more like a flag for telling people that asexuality is ok rather than showing actual asexual pride. If we keep apologizing/justifying our asexuality, it won't do much for positive awareness.

Not only does it not show the spectrum, it purposefully excludes parts of it for reasons I don't quite buy.

Also, I know this is less of an issue, but it's much less easy on the eyes than the triangle.

Sorry, but I think it's hideous. Does the overall look represent that Asexuals have no sense of style? I've always thought we were fabulous, not color blind.

The letter A surrounded by 3 hideous colors. Juvenile, with a limited crayon color palette.

I see several people mentioning the triangle, but let's keep in mind that the actual flag we have is this one:

cPOB8Fl.png

where the black is for asexuals, the grey for, well, grays, the white for sexual partners and allies, and the purple for our awesome community.

I see several people mentioning the triangle, but let's keep in mind that the actual flag we have is this one:

cPOB8Fl.png

where the black is for asexuals, the grey for, well, grays, the white for sexual partners and allies, and the purple for our awesome community.

If it ain't broke...

Nothing against flags in general at all - but that new one hurts my eyes! It's not colour combo friendly in the slightest and would be hell to make colour wise (pricing for neons/brights is generally quite expensive).

lycanrising

I don't like the colours on their one. Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative that they've gone and taken the time to plan out the meaning behind it all, but I'm more drawn to AVEN's flag aesthetically and if I had to hang one of them out of my window I'd hang AVEN's.

So, I found this website and it has a new flag for being asexual.

http://www.asexualprideottawa.ca/

It says it's reasoning is that the current flag was made for AVEN(it wasn't really, but you could say it's very related to this site) and that the current flag also stands for other sexualities like grey asexual, where as this one is asexual specific.

So, now we have two flags. What does everyone else think of this?

Also, thanks for bringing this to my attention - it's always interesting to find and discuss stuff like this! :D

MystiqueSister

Gah! Looks like a colour blind Captain America costume.

Excandesco

Haha, I was just about to post something very similar.

The puke green offends my sensibilities, tbh

DarkDragonn

My exact thoughts. I was just considering adding something along those lines.

RosettaAce

I'm all for coming up with new ideas, and I usually love blue, but my goodness is that flag hard on the eyes!

To me it looks like one of those flags a sports team might come up with

. There is also something anout the vertical stripes that make it seem very busy to me. Like others have said, it doesn't show the spectrum, and I've always liked how the aven made flag tries to represent everyone.

Pan'sShadow

Clearly the new flag is ugly. What I don't understand is how there can be a new flag at all. And how the community that flag represents had to stumble across it in the Internet. If a symbol has been adopted by a group then who has the power to just come along and change it? Who delegates that power? This is very confusing to me.

I'd rather be in band.

I think that I'd rather stick with the one that we currently use; it's all inclusive. Besides, I think that the more common flag is so popular with the ace community that it would be difficult for any other flag to replace it.

I did note that they already had a store to buy Ace related things from their site, and there were several grammatical errors.

There's a slight concern for me that this is just a moneymaker....

I like it, but I like the black/grey/white/purple color scheme better and I'm much more used to it. Then again, I feel like it's also quite closely tied with this site, so I can understand why there's a different one.

That bright green is pretty uggo. Really, an A?

TheKindredSoul

Uh...that flag is hideous, and those colors make me dizzy. :wacko: My head hurts! I like our flag better. I noticed that people are saying that it alienates aromantics....but our original flag does not include aromantics either! Aromantics have their own flag. It might not be as official as the AVEN flag, but it works.

http://i.imgur.com/3NsSvxN.png

Uh...that flag is hideous, and those colors make me dizzy. :wacko: My head hurts! I like our flag better. I noticed that people are saying that it alienates aromantics....but our original flag does not include aromantics either! Aromantics have their own flag. It might not be as official as the AVEN flag, but it works.

http://i.imgur.com/3NsSvxN.png

Aromantic flag reminds of candy corn. :P

ObsessedWithCats

I noticed that people are saying that it alienates aromantics....but our original flag does not include aromantics either!

It's not that our flag doesn't exclude aromantics - our flag doesn't address romantic orientation at all (after all it's a flag for a sexuality). Theirs has a specific colour (the fuchsia) for romantics but no acknowledgement of aromantics.

I used to hate the aro flag (urgh, orange and yellow), but nowadays it reminds me of jellybeans :3

So, they created their own flag to cater specifically to asexuals cus they dont want to use a flag that encompasses the whole ace community? Are demisexuals and grey-aces not ace enough for them? This would be like a buncho gay guys creating their own flag cus they dont like how the rainbow one represents the whole queer community and wants one all for themselves without any pesky lesbians taking up all their representation.

Actually, they may not think the grey area is ace enough for them considering the number of times on that site they use a lack of sexual desire to describe what being asexual is. I didnt see anything about a lack of sexual attraction, it was all about not wanting to bone. What about asexuals who do like sex? Would they not consider them to be asexual?

Striped Sweater

Okay, now that my eyes have recovered from the searingly bright mess of colors, I'm ready for real talk.

The reasons behind the colors reek of elitism to me. First, it boots demis and greys out. Not inclusive and puts us all into an even smaller metaphorical box. And on the other end of the spectrum, it dismisses aromantics as an entire section of the flag is devoted to romantic relationships.

The part that really irked me was this: "In the color wheel, various shades of blue are the opposites of the oranges. In Hinduism and Buddhism, orange represents the sacral chakra, the energy center for sexual energy and physical desires. Indigo as a color represents the crown chakra, the main energy center for wisdom, intuition, intelligence, thought and creativity, all of which can be key factors in asexual relationships, seeing as they are based in our emotional connections rather than a sexual one."

Um...sexual relationships need qualities like that too. Basically just wrote off sexual people as stupid and impersonal fucking machines. Not cool.

And it's just plain ugly.

I would not want to be a part of a community that unites under that flag.

I don't like that flag. The green almost blinded me when I pulled it up, so I prefer to stick to AVEN's flag because it's much better in a myriad of ways.

Also, a potential issue with the flag is one that has been around for a while: A also stands for allies so people learning about asexuality will confuse the two. Now, if it was an X, it would represent it better (think Kinsey Scale).

RosettaAce

You know, when I read the page about the flag I found myself becoming annoyed. What right do they have to exclude members of the community? I've come across some nasty things saying that Demisexuals aren't "real" members of the ace community. I for one think that that is a mean spirited and shitty thing to say, and to have a flag that expressly says that they are excluding them is just as mean! Plus they also completely ignore aromantics in the color justifications. Pretending that the love for friends and family doesn't count. I can't speak for other aros, but I get that enough from people outside of the community, I don need a flag to rub it in.

I've seen the romantic orientation flags as colored symbols against the aven flag background (hearts striped the various flag colors or sometimes the flur de lis or spade) I can't seem to find an example right now, but I know I've seen them pictured like that. So I always thought of them as two seperate symbols.

Archived