• Pretty sure I don't.
    • No I don't.
    • I don't know.
  2. 2. Do you pray?

• Yes, often.
    • Yes, sometimes.
    • Yes, rarely.
    • No, never.
  3. 3. What forms of prayer do you practice?

• I pray aloud in my own words.
    • I pray aloud using written words.
    • I pray silently in my own words.
    • I pray silently using written words.
    • I pray using still pictures in my imagination.
    • I pray using visualization.
    • I pray by writing or typing my own words.
    • Other
    • I don't pray.

This poll is closed to new votes

AngelofArt

These questions are not aimed at any specific religion or spirituality. I am curious to see how many people believe in praying, and what forms of prayer they use.

I wonder if the religious people are more likely to see this and want to respond or if a majority of asexuals actually do pray.

Interesting question. I personally haven't prayed in about 10 years, but I find other people's take on it fascinating.

HedonicAmbassador

I don't pray, but interestingly, even when I was somewhat religious (as a child) I refrained from praying. To my mind, it seemed arrogant of me (who had a reasonably comfortable existence) to expect a putative deity to answer my prayers with all the serious suffering going on in the world.

I do, and I'm actually not particularly religious. I'm probably closest to agnostic.

I don't pray to anyone or anything in particular, although whenever I feel compelled to do so, it is usually for another person rather than myself.

njosnavelin

Not sure what you call it, but I have started to take time out of the week to meditate. I try to relax myself and think about my breathing. I think about feeling my finger tips and my toes. I repeat the phrase, "let go" in my mind.

Usually I do this under an hour and I feel in tuned with the universe. I want to keep pursuing where this takes me because I believe I can go deeper.

Cherellice

I do believe in prayer, very much so. I don't have a special way of praying. I either just sit in my room and speak silently (or think silently) or I take my bike and go somewhere private and quiet and pray there.

catsaregood

:P Twin, tja!

Tja and the Tummy...sounds like a cop show I'd watch.

Interesting study on the power of prayer by, I believe, Duke University. The hypothesis was that prayer would be of benefit in helping sick people recover more quickly. The results showed the opposite. People who used prayer or were prayed for did more poorly than those without prayer as part of their healing process. The basis was unclear, but thought to be associated with the level of religiosity in the 'prayers.' The more religious, the less likely to rely on medical interventions and thus the outcome was worse. The conclusion was that medicine alone and prayer with medicine were equally effective while prayer alone was detrimental.

njosnavelin

Devout Atheist.

Your irony shall be recognized. Do you pray, is the question, not your religious affiliation or non-affiliation -- beliefs or non-beliefs.

Devout Atheist.

Your irony shall be recognized. Do you pray, is the question, not your religious affiliation or non-affiliation -- beliefs or non-beliefs.

I believe devout atheist answers the question of whether, or not I pray. :) Short, and to the point.

Or, would you prefer a paragraph on the specifics of why I do not pray?

elleba_wolf

i've never been religious and i don't pray myself, but i do think it helps people who believe in it. like a placebo for the mind

littleheartsofjoy

I do believe in prayer. As a Christian, I believe that it is a way to talk to Him. I pray sometimes, but I would really like to pray more, like a daily thing. I pray aloud and silently in my own words, because it's easier for me that way, even though I do try things here and there to add to my prayer.

Squirrel Combat

I'm not really the praying type, usually, but sometimes when I'm in a real pinch, it helps.

Vivaldi Ives

Interesting study on the power of prayer by, I believe, Duke University. The hypothesis was that prayer would be of benefit in helping sick people recover more quickly. The results showed the opposite. People who used prayer or were prayed for did more poorly than those without prayer as part of their healing process. The basis was unclear, but thought to be associated with the level of religiosity in the 'prayers.' The more religious, the less likely to rely on medical interventions and thus the outcome was worse. The conclusion was that medicine alone and prayer with medicine were equally effective while prayer alone was detrimental.

I wrote a lengthy research paper on this topic my freshman year of college. I'm not sure if I used that Duke study as a source or not, but I know I did include one with similar findings. I found another source that talked about how all prayers-for-healing studies are pretty much worthless because there's no way to silently measure the amount of prayer someone receives--anyone can pray for anyone or anything, so you really can't prevent people from receiving prayers for the purposes of science. Another study did find that people who prayed regularly had better self-perception of their health than those who didn't.

I definitely "believe in" prayer, though I'm not quite sure how to define that. Prayer isn't magic by any means; it doesn't guarantee any result. But if you believe in God (as I do) prayer is useful for feeling a connection with God and asking God for help and guidance. In the end, God will do what He wants, but it's still nice to pray. I think praying really benefits me, because it tends to calm me down and help me focus on what things I can and can't control. It helps me learn to let go of the things I can't control because God knows what is best. When I'm feeling overwhelmed, I like to ask others to pray for me; doing so helps me feel that others care about me and somehow it just makes it easier to get through tough times. I think all these things can apply no matter what religious tradition you are praying in.

I don't pray very often right now, but when I do I typically pray silently in my own words. I've used pre-written prayers in the past and those can be helpful if you need a starting point. A while I ago I read a book about prayer (I can't remember the title or author) and it listed many different methods of praying. I wrote down the ones that sounded most interesting and plan to look into them when I have more time. Things like journaling, meditation, singing, putting written prayers into a box, etc., can all be useful forms of prayer to different people.

Devout Atheist.

Besides, this thread does not ask if you meditate. Meditating has nothing to do with praying to a deity.

Devout Atheist.

Why would an atheist pray? What would an atheist pray to? o_O

• 1 month later...
AprilStorms

Despite being agnostic and joking about praying to "To Whom It May Concern," I have occasionally been known to.

Not usually for myself. I try to solve my own problems. But if I see someone in a tricky position that I can't otherwise help with...

Back when I still considered myself Catholic, I would rush through maybe an Our Father every night before I went to sleep. Now that I'm agnostic/undecided it's wound up being rare, but much more heartfelt!

I don't pray and haven't done for some time. It was more, forced upon me and I resented having to do it. Once I was old enough, convinced enough that it wouldn't hurt me, I stopped doing it. I do, however, have no problem with anyone praying and if ti brings them comfort, joy, support, well being etc. then I will never disrespect them. A lot of people have been praying for my sick, father. I appreciated that it meant something to them and to him, and although I never prayed for him myself, I was very happy to know that it brought them the relief that such a hard time brought upon us.

• 2 months later...

I believe in prayer (I'm Presbyterian) and pray every night when I'm going to bed...it's soothing. I pray silently (in my own words...well, with the prayer my mom taught me, and adding my own words) and picture the people I'm praying for (if I can, like if they're family/friends). Sometimes I pray for myself, but usually it is for others.

I'm a Christian, and I prey regularly. It's nice to know there are other Christian aces.

I can't really define whether I'm a believer of sort or an agnostic. Mostly agnostic, really sceptic, but inclined to spirituality. It's hard to explain, I hope I'm making sense. ^^' I have a hunch about some greater power around us but I'm not sure what it could be. I don't feel any religion to suit me like they are. I've adapted bits from many.

Usually my life isn't too spiritual (I sure hope it'd be more, but need evidence, meh) apart from daily meditation and seeing all living beings as connected, and nature as divine. I haven't tried to contact anyone or anything "on the other side", but there's been few situations when I've done everything within my power and still things have been falling apart. Those situations are the ones I've prayed in. Either "gods" or "great spirit." It's been my last desperate effort to survive. So far it has worked every time. At least I guess.

The first one was when my dog got a seizure. She was old already and I thought she was a goner. I prayed that not yet, I can't handle it yet, let me keep her for a bit longer. A tumor was found from her but she was operated and got to keep her for a year longer.

Few years back I was in a bad relationship and had tried to find an apartment for months. Me and my partner couldn't stand each other but we had to live under the same roof. I prayed that I'd find an apartment and fast because I was at my limit. Two days later found one and could move immediately.

Third and fourth time were with my second dog, who got sick and was in a difficult operation. My father had died a month earlier and I couldn't have taken another major loss so soon. Prayed that not yet. Got to keep him for 3 and half months before he collapsed and I was afraid he wouldn't last til we got to the vet. I asked that let him survive til the vet. I wanted him to sleep away peacefully instead of dying on my arms. And well, he did survive til the vet.

Coincidence? I don't know.

I pray, though as to define my religion, that would be rather complicated rather fast. But the belief in creative/life upholding sort of force (or 'God' if you will) is always sort of 'there', so is the belief in intangible world as a real sphere of existence, so I tend to account that to prayer habits.

Quintus Crinis

I'm sort of theist, but very distrusting of organised religions.

I do occasionally pray though, although I prefer using the Greko-Roman gods if I do pray. Mainly addressing Zeus for positive help or Cybele to get rid of negatives. I don't believe it does anything spiritual but had a slight, calming effect on my inner brain chemistry.

Devout Atheist.

As above!! ^_^ Although I am kind of fascinated by religion and especially religious buildings. I love churches, there's something reverential and peaceful about them.

At weddings, christenings and funerals, I will bow my head when called upon to pray as a sign of respect but do not actually repeat the prayer aloud.

• 2 weeks later...

Atheist although don't tell the church group that feeds me lunch everyday because I don't think they'd appreciate that

Archived