Does you voice change depending on who you're talking to?

SexNotHaver

Recently, I have been trying to make my accent sound a little less Northern. We Northerners have a tendency to use words that shouldn't be used in that context. I do speak quite politely but these differences are something I am trying to erase. It's just it often doesn't go down well with the people who have always known you and those who don't know you, who hear how you're trying to speak, tend to find it quite odd. My family are getting used to it. It is, after all, the proper way to speak. The Queens English. So I am adapting, changing and tweaking and making myself sound more agreeable to the overseas/Australia, market.

Besides the typical "voice going flat when talking to a person you greatly dislike", I've noticed my accent becomes much more prominent when I apologize or when talking to classmates I don't typically talk to or when talking to other foreigners. Also, I tend to unwittingly mimic accents I hear around me, and thus it's pretty difficult to not sound slightly British when talking to an Englishman or slightly Russian when talking to a Russian...

alpacaterpillar

Also, I tend to unwittingly mimic accents I hear around me, and thus it's pretty difficult to not sound slightly British when talking to an Englishman or slightly Russian when talking to a Russian...

This reminds me: my logic tutor, whom I greatly respect, is South African and when I use logic terminology I tend to say them with a South African tinge to them :D

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, my voice changes considerably. It can vary from a soft Yuki Sohma-like, a more Americanized Akito Sohma-like (both from Fruits Basket) to a mildly Somerset or West Country accent....it depends on who I'm talking to, tiredness, how loud I'm talking, who else is talking in the background, etc. I tend to be more higher pitched when talking to my dogs for example.

Archived