Do you still use CDs and/or flash drive?

R_1

AVENites usage of CDs/flash drive  

1. 1. Do you use CDs?

• Yes
    • I only use it in certain situations
    • No
  2. 2. For those who uses it in certain situation, which are the situation in which you need to use CDs?

• To install operating system / To play or work with Live OS
    • To listen to music
    • For educational projects for educational institution, work, and so on
    • To share files
    • To be used as backup
    • To play games
    • I don't use it at all or I don't just use it in specific situations
    • Other - To be used as portable storage or other reason
  3. 3. Do you use flash drives?

• Yes
    • I only use it in certain situations
    • No
  4. 4. For those who uses it in certain situation, which are the situation in which you need to use CDs?

• To install operating system / To play or work with Live OS
    • To listen to music
    • For educational projects for educational institution, work, and so on
    • To share files
    • To be used as backup
    • To play games
    • I don't use it at all or I don't just use it in specific situations
    • Other - To be used as portable storage or other reason
  5. 5. Do you use smartphone to fullfill needs that can be achieved by CDs/Flash drives

• I own a smartphone and I use it to fullfill my needs that can be achieved with those mediums
    • I own a smartphone and I don't use it to fullfill my needs that can be achieved with those mediums
    • I do not own a smartphone
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

The CDs thread over somewhere else recently had inspired this thread.

My flash drive is for my backups backup. Also my classes require a flash drive. CDs are so I can share files and music with friends since my best friend refuses to use an MP3 player or her phone.

I don't use either CD's or flash drives, and I use email to transfer things from one device to another.

I can see myself using flash drives in the future, for some situations though. I just don't use them now. =/

littleheartsofjoy

I use both. CDs to listen to music in the car or places that have a CD player, and flash drives for backup for my music (one is used for this purpose) and my files/work (the other one).

I don't have a smartphone, but my useless phone has a great music player, so most of the time, I use it in the car to play music even though I can't connect it to my car radio or while cleaning.

:blink: You can use a smartphone to store files???

Either way, no got. And I have my flash drive for concrete storage. ... Lost the lid today, though, so hopefully I don't lose the whole thing. :unsure:

I Like CD's for music playing... but my littlesister stole borrowed all mine. XD

I still have a few music cds, and may still get more. Although burning cd's for me has taken a back seat, I'm still open to it. I do have an oldish smartphone I don't use, its buggered. I do, from time to time use it as a musci player if I'm heading out of the house.

girltwink666

I still use CDs for music, heck I even listen to cassettes sometime. I am bad about losing flash drives so I don't use those very often but I rely on SD cards because im a filmographer and u know that's how the camera like records stuff ahah

Smartphone and iPad all the way. I don't use CDs and flashdrives

I buy cds for the music, but burn them to my computer for use on various devices. I rarely listen to the cds themselves. I prefer this over buying music digitally, mainly because I got "burned" in the past by losing the rights to songs I had purchased (as in, the computer had to look up on line whenever I wanted to play them and after a while it told me I didn't have the rights). I don't have that problem with cds.

I also occasionally use flash drives for a few things. Mostly I have multiple copies of various files in various places and devices.

coming from a person who's laptop crashes a lot, i use both. i tend to buy cds for music now after losing itunes so many times and back up onto flashdrives.

AnomalyEternal

I use both CD's and flash drives for music, games, easy storage and back-ups. I have a smartphone, but trust CD's and flash drives more.

I find mobile Apple devices to be rather glitchy, so I much prefer having everything (especially backups) on flash drives and cds which I use pretty interchangeably.

I use CDs if I need to install driver software for something I want to use which requires it, otherwise no.

As for flash drives, I use them to share files with other people when I don't have an Internet connection available. If I have to share files between my own computers, I resort to cloud storages. Otherwise, I generally put up stuff on my Mediafire account and link people to it.

Janus the Fox

I keep a Flash Drive for any current file that I'm working on, a secondary back-up storage for only the most required information. Otherwise I have an External Hard Drive and a back-up system for everything else, I also keep a Drop-box for Online storage for the ability to transfer files between computers and devices as much downloads are safer to download on an Apple device and it's handy when the computer is not available. I also have used a Flash Drive to load a Virtual Environment with Windows Dos and 95. Once, I used a Flash Drive to load games onto a schools system at the end of the year to get around certain blocks. A modified Counter Strike if I remember.

I've used CD for submitting work, loading Ubuntu 10 into a Virtual Environment and music, usually extracting or burning music though... Preferably I go for DVD for it's higher space capacity and versatility. I've backed up files on this medium as well, I have a few games that use CD's rather than DVD's, a lot older games though...

I cannot be the only person who still uses a flip phone, right?

Squirrel Combat

I used to have an iAudio many years ago, then the battery died. That thing was awesome and cutting edge for its time. I miss it and I can't wait to get a new one.

I still use CD's and DVD's and Flash-Drives (various purposes in all cases - everthing from listening to music to backups, to file sharing)

I do not own a cell-phone of any type!

The vast bulk of my music collection is on CDs, and the rest is on vinyl (I have some cassettes too, but I'd imagine that most probably don't play right anymore so I've given up on them). I have a portable drive on which I backup my hard drive just in case I have a computer problem. And I have a couple of little thumb drives that I can use to retrieve pics and data of of cell phones if need be (since I only have ever had an old-fashioned cell phone that could barely access the internet). I do some photo storage online, but most of it is for displaying and selling my artwork. Never got into MP3s or playing music on my computer since I still have a big boombox with a 6 CD changer right here in my office, and small radio/CD players in my shop. Also still have a portable CD player (do they even still make those?) tucked away somewhere.

• 4 months later...

I use CDs for music and games. I use Flash drives for when I'm at school and need to work on a project or something. I use my phone for games, music, and talking to people and checking my email.

CDs are for my music. I don't use them for any sort of back up.

However, we are tied to using encrypted flash drives for work. Because of the sensitive nature of the information we are likely to carry on disk space, we cannot use cloud storage as it falls out of the realms of British data protection. So, we are stuck with flash sticks for now. :)

I still use CD's for almost all purposes. On rare occasions I use an SD card for transferring data. For USB flash drive, not so much although I did during some of my college years.

There is a mistake in the poll questions.

Sage Raven Domino

When I read the thread title, I was shocked and started wondering if people have already invented a better data storage device for computer-only users like me than the flash drive :D

I mean, I know that there are portable SSDs (solid state drives, used by a lot of my colleagues who need to store and process databases that weigh tons of GBs), but they're too clumsy to me.

Oh, OK, there are also clouds like Dropbox and Google Drive, but connection speeds are too small to move GBs of data faster than USB 3.0.

I have a couple of flashdrives, I use them as backups... and backups of backups. Flashdrives are great for storing backups of documents, especially my fanfics.

CDs are for music and I have a CD player for those.

My car has a CD player but no auxiliary jack for an mp3 player so I use CDs for music.

When I have a car I usually have a CD with music on there because it is cheap and doesn't take up space like a flash drive would.

I don't reinstall operating systems that often but if I have a optical drive in the computer then I use that.

A lot of Linux distributions are bigger than a CD now but I guess in this regard DVD's just takes over so the question is the same.

Flash drives are expensive compared to a CD and I don't always have one just for a live OS even though I should if something breaks.

CD's for handing in a digital copy of the assignment is kind of deprecated since we cannot expect our professors to have an optical drive.

I would never use my phone for any of that.

As for music, I have some on my phone but that is mostly as a backup since I have a dedicated portable music player.

Besides a flash drive is way easier to store and cheap enough so you do not have to use your phone. Aren't they terribly slow at data transfer compared to a regular flash drive anyway??

I use a flash drive for just about everything. I do rip music off of cds and store them on my Itunes.

Waist of Thyme

I've never had a CD.

I use flash drives for school and for my stories.

I have a smartphone, but not for flash drive or CD-related things.

RoswellValentine

I still like to buy CDs for whatever soundtracks I like and can find on CD, which I then put on my computer so I can put more music on my tablet.

I use flashdrives for schoolwork, backing up files, and sometimes scans of my art.

I got a smartphone last month, but I don't use it for what CDs and flashdrives can do. [i don't even use my smartphone that much anyway - only for calls and messages and that's about it.]

I use CD/DVDs for a few reasons -

I sometimes sell my music CDs to people, though iTunes downloads are far more popular

I use DVDs when I want to watch films on my TV, because my Mac doesn't connect up to the projector.

I use CDs to play games on the console and occasionally on my computer too.

Online downloads are faster, cheaper, highly accessible, instant, and they don't take up storage space, therefore they're better in pretty much every conceivable way.

I use flash drives just to move stuff from one computer to another, and I have a couple of external hard-drives that I use for back-up.

I always use my phone to listen to music, whether in the car, or in my house.

Archived