Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

I annoyed my mother for years, because every time we would watch a movie and kissing would happen, I would complain about how two people exchanging spit was getting in the way of the plot.

• Like 3

mum: "who is he?" *smiles*

me: "he....what?"

mum: "the one you're texting all the time"

me: "oh! no, i'm just playing sudoku on my phone"

I get that a lot too! Or if I'm talking with someone online people will assume I'm talking to a secret boyfriend, when usually I'm just talking to a friend who goes to school far away.

I've got that thing about a friend too :)

I'm not aromantic, but as I've never had a relationship, I get this a lot from my family members whenever I bring up any male friends. And I don't understand it, either, because I see these people as just friends.

• Like 1
Deleted Person

Me aged 13-20: I hope I never develop a crush on any of these boys, they're all such idiots! I wonder what a crush feels like though, how will I know if I like them?

Me age 27: Hmm... I guess that was never a risk anyway. ^_^

• Like 6
TheKindredSoul

Not realizing until you're in college that the majority of the girls that you know at one time when they were little had either stolen their brother's army guys/action figures to marry off their dolls to, had coupled-up their stuffed animals, had held mock-weddings with the neighbor boys, or had dressed up as a bride using a white pillowcase as a veil. Finding out that this was an Actual Thing That Happens and not just something they put in romance movies baffles you to no end.

Wait, that actually happens!? :blink:

• Like 3

Out walking my dogs, guy pulls up beside me in his car

Guy:hey I swear I'm not creepy or anything, but I've been watching you for a while, and i was wondering if you'd like to go out for coffee sometime?

Me:.......umm I'm good thanks

My friend was like "OMG!!! Why didn't you say yes??" (Before i knew about aro) ummm..because pulling up beside me to say "im not creepy but I've been watching you for a while" is CREEPY! That and i wasn't interested, it wouldn't have mattered if he went about that in a less creeptacular way! My friend kept asking me if he was cute and what he looked like and i was like "uuhhhh i dunno, i didn't pay attention.."

Or back in high school, one of my best school friends was a girl called "Toni"(it was a nick name) i was telling my dad about a project i was doing with Toni and he got all "oh who's this boy" on me.. and I was like ".......Toni is a girl..." i think that disappointed him lol

Or again before knowing about aro ace my dad was asking me about dating etc.. and my response was "i have no issue with dating as long as he provides me money but is never around and has no influence on my life"....and that was the last time my dad pestered me on the subject! "I" didn't even know aro was a thing at the time, now that i know I'm just trying to imagine what the heck that made my dad think lol

• Like 2

Out walking my dogs, guy pulls up beside me in his car

Guy:hey I swear I'm not creepy or anything, but I've been watching you for a while, and i was wondering if you'd like to go out for coffee sometime?

Me:.......umm I'm good thanks

My friend was like "OMG!!! Why didn't you say yes??" (Before i knew about aro) ummm..because pulling up beside me to say "im not creepy but I've been watching you for a while" is CREEPY! That and i wasn't interested, it wouldn't have mattered if he went about that in a less creeptacular way! My friend kept asking me if he was cute and what he looked like and i was like "uuhhhh i dunno, i didn't pay attention.."

That is actually really creepy! Would romantic people actually say yes if someone asked them out like this?

• Like 5

Well all my romantic friends were baffled as to why i was creeped out by it and couldn't understand why i said no and why i couldn't answer as to what he looked like... weather that was just "them" or not, i couldn't say! That was a few years ago and i STILL avoid walking that route if i can help it!

• Like 4

Well all my romantic friends were baffled as to why i was creeped out by it and couldn't understand why i said no and why i couldn't answer as to what he looked like... weather that was just "them" or not, i couldn't say! That was a few years ago and i STILL avoid walking that route if i can help it!

Sorry for butting in but that does sound super creepy and like a kidnapping waiting to happen... Don't follow strangers into their cars, even if they have cake. Delicious cake...

But no, that sounds really dangerous and I hope your friends don't go about doing this. But maybe I'm just paranoid?

• Like 1

to be clear be was NOT asking me to go with him anywhere, he just wanted to arrange a coffee date! I was walking 5 large dogs at the time and he had his young son with him. It wasn't THAT insane, but the "I've been watching you for a while" was still darn creepy!

• Like 5

to be clear be was NOT asking me to go with him anywhere, he just wanted to arrange a coffee date! I was walking 5 large dogs at the time and he had his young son with him. It wasn't THAT insane, but the "I've been watching you for a while" was still darn creepy!

Ha ha, okay then, that's reasuring :)

But yes, how is that not creepy ^_^

Realm96- it happened a few years back and i haven't seen him since(i don't think anyway...) i got the impression he lived in that area, as i used to walk there quite a bit... i stopped walking in that direction entirely after that!

A couple of my friends came to visit the other day, and I told them about how I was meeting up with someone I'd met on the internet the next day. Their first question was a surprised "have you started internet dating?" (they know I'm aro ace), to which I responded with a completely baffled "huh? What? No, of course not". It wasn't until four hours later that I realised the sentence I'd used did sound an awful lot like the one people use when they go internet dating. (Note to self: don't use that phrase again).

Then later on in the conversation they were telling me about their holidays and how they'd had a couple of "date nights", and I could feel myself cringing every time they said it. Which was odd - seeing people kissing or being overly affectionate has always made me flinch and look away, but I've not noticed it happening with people just talking about stuff before.

• Like 1

I went to see my old band practice the other day and this is the conversation I had with the band director.

Her: "Any special young man in your life?"

Me: "Nope."

Her: "Do you have your eye on anyone?"

Me: "No."

Her: "I guess there aren't many good picks around here."

Me: "I haven't really been looking."

Her: "When you transfer to a bigger college you'll find someone."

Me: "I still won't be looking."

Honestly I don't see myself as aromatic, but sometimes I really think I might be. Am I really suppose to be out looking for men? Is that how finding a significant other works? I guess I've been doing this all wrong then.

• Like 7

I went to see my old band practice the other day and this is the conversation I had with the band director.

Honestly I don't see myself as aromatic, but sometimes I really think I might be. Am I really suppose to be out looking for men? Is that how finding a significant other works? I guess I've been doing this all wrong then.

There are a lot of people who expect to find their future husband or wife in college, and even some people who go to college specifically to find a smart spouse. I never really fully got it- I'm in college to learn and make some new friends, not to get married. :/

• Like 3

When your friends get you a crazy cat lady card for you birthday, because they know that's your real goal and they support you in it #aromanticmoments

• Like 18

There are a lot of people who expect to find their future husband or wife in college, and even some people who go to college specifically to find a smart spouse. I never really fully got it- I'm in college to learn and make some new friends, not to get married. :/

Thank you!!! I've never understood why people go to college to get married! Why would people spend that much money just to find a spouse?! :huh: Like there would have to be easier and cheaper and more effective ways right? Like, hmmmmm, internet dating maybe? I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't get this.

• Like 5
  • 3 months later...

For some, Valentine's Day is one of the most important days in the year. For me, it is a Saturday. Which means hanging out with friends watching anime.

-- Something I actually said to someone who asked me what my Valentine's Day plans were

Unfortunatly, I an't do the M.Bison "Of course!"

• Like 1

I already posted this in the Valentine's day thread, but I always am the single person who is irrationally happy on Valentine's day and tries to cheer up all the people who are moping about being single. My plan for the past few years was to gather whichever friends were single at the time, and have a nice day out to celebrate our friendship.

Is an aromantic moment that I'm more excited for an awesome hangout with friends than some couples are for spending the day with their significant other? :P

• Like 4
anonymous.writing

I recently went on a date, and was reflecting on the experience with a friend.

Her: So tell me about him.

Me: Well, for starters, he seems like a wonderful person.

Her: Okay, but do you like him?

Me: Yeah. He's really nice.

Her: Okay, but do you actually like him?

Me: Yeah, I guess so.

Her: I'm not convinced.

Friend, that makes two of us..

• Like 10

When I was a few years younger I was walking through the mall with one of my sisters and my mom - we walk past Abercrombie and standing outside was a shirtless teenager with a six pack

My mom was like oh do you like him?

Me: NO

I was SO uncomfortable

• Like 4
Dodecahedron314

Well, I've got a few...

Another time I was playing Truth or Dare.

Friend: "Who are you deeply in love with?"

Me: "Uh, my trumpet?"

(Friend gives me concerned look.)

Fear not--as someone who has been shipped with her clarinet before, I can assure you that this is a perfectly acceptable response.

• Like 4
whiteblankpage

I may not be arom, but there was this one time at a school dance where a boy kept trying to dance with me, but instead I just danced around all of the other couples and annoyed them instead of answering to his beckoning. I called it threading the needle, weaving in and out of the spaces between the couples. Great fun, I highly recommend it.

• Like 1
Dodecahedron314

Yesterday, my mom was really sad because she was spending Valentine's Day away from my dad, and things aren't going too well between them besides, but I didn't pick up on how that would happen and how that would translate to specific Valentine's Day related emotions, and she basically had to spell the whole situation out and why that would have that effect on her, while I was just trying to process it and thinking "Um, OK, I guess intellectually I can see how this would happen, but I really have no way to emotionally relate to this and therefore don't entirely understand why it's such a big deal." It sounds really bad, but I guess my thing is that I ignore Valentine's Day every year, and kind of forget that other people don't or to some extent can't. :-/

I made her a couple of origami roses later in the day and that helped cheer her up, though.

Edited because somehow this got copied/pasted thrice. The AVEN duplicate gremlins really like my phone for some reason.

• Like 1

Friend asks me why I don't want to get married. I honestly can't understand why I would want to so how do you explain why you don't want to? I asked him why he does want to get married.

Relationships are like a Twilight Marathon to me, I've got nothing really against the movies, I'm somewhat irked by certain aspects of it (like the fact its made a cool monster into a twinkly joke) but hey if your into Twilight that's fine with me. If you want to talk about it a lot that's also fine with me, because your my friend and so I want you to be able to express your interests and be yourself and even though I don't share those interests it doesn't mean I can't enjoy a conversation about them. But don't ask me if I want to have a Twilight Marathon with you, I've made it perfectly clear I'm more of a Being Human person.

Another friend asked if he wasn't in a relationship would we be. I laughed ;)

• Like 1

Friend asks me why I don't want to get married. I honestly can't understand why I would want to so how do you explain why you don't want to? I asked him why he does want to get married.

Most of the time I turn the "Why don't you want to get married?" question into a joke and change the subject with a laugh. I'll say I'm so busy coding my own AI boyfriend that I don't need real men, or that I'm saving the male population by sparing one of them from being my husband.

When I want to be more serious though, I'll just honestly say that I have no desire to marry. When I tried to date, it just felt wrong, and I know I'll be more comfortable by myself than tied to a romantic partner. It goes against my nature to be in a relationship that goes beyond close friendship, so what would be the point of marrying?

I recognize why others would want to get married, but it is 100% not for me :)

• Like 4
Dodecahedron314

Most of the time I turn the "Why don't you want to get married?" question into a joke and change the subject with a laugh. I'll say I'm too busy coding my own AI boyfriend that I don't need real men, or that I'm saving the male population by sparing one of them from being my husband.

This is actually somewhat (really, really tangentially) in the same vein as an aro moment I had yesterday. My best friend writes these sort of Tumblr ask list-style questionnaires and sends them to people. This was one of the questions and my response:

Q: What type of guy or girl are you attracted to?

A: Windows has encountered an error and was forced to shut down. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

(Translation: I'm aro/ace. Not only does this not apply, I have no idea what it would mean if it did. Blue screen of death. Next question.)

• Like 6

I honestly get a little annoyed whenever I get shipped by my friends since it would never happen. :P

Then there's people asking me "have you ever liked someone?" I say "No." and they go "WHAAAAAAT?!"

Also I respond to every fortune or prediction involving me getting married with a ಠ_ಠ

• Like 1

Most of the time I turn the "Why don't you want to get married?" question into a joke and change the subject with a laugh. I'll say I'm too busy coding my own AI boyfriend that I don't need real men, or that I'm saving the male population by sparing one of them from being my husband.

This is actually somewhat (really, really tangentially) in the same vein as an aro moment I had yesterday. My best friend writes these sort of Tumblr ask list-style questionnaires and sends them to people. This was one of the questions and my response:

A: Windows has encountered an error and was forced to shut down. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

(Translation: I'm aro/ace. Not only does this not apply, I have no idea what it would mean if it did. Blue screen of death. Next question.)

My response to that question is "Null-Pointer Exception". And I bet no one except programmers will get it.

• Like 3

Blue screen of death is the perfect response. :D

• Like 3