• Announcements

• Kelly

New Team members Needed--Moderator, Project Team, and Declass Team: Voting   12/10/13

See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164659-new-declass-team-member-needed-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164657-new-moderator-member-needed-qa-co-mod-and-world-watch-mod-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164656-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/  
    • Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
Wokgran X

Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

nerdperson777
7 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

I don't know whether I'm aromantic or gray-romantic anymore. A lot of the aspects of my relationship feel performative, like calling my girlfriend "girlfriend" and whatnot, as if I'm just going through the motions of what's required. That certainly isn't to say that I'm not sincere when I say those things- believe me, I am- but it honestly just feels like being best friends who sleep with each other... I dunno. My ASD makes it extremely difficult to determine the exact nature of any strong emotion I feel towards anybody, especially when one gets to the "love-versus-in love" dichotomy. I love people, sometimes very strongly (as in this case), but I don't think I'll ever be truly "in love". If I'm not 100% aromantic I'm still aro-spec, I know that for sure...

Meanwhile, I think me being aro isn't going to change.  Giving me someone to be close to, I didn't get anything, although I may be demi in other aspects.  My feelings for her were immensely complicated, but definitely none of it was romantic.  I can question all my other orientations again but not this one.

nerdperson777

I bought Dream Daddy.  Why I chose to play a dating sim, I'll never understand.

To Each Their Own

So, I’m talking to a co-worker about the Netflix series “The Punisher” and it goes something like this:

Me: Parts of it are great, but there are too many confusing sex scenes that just pop up out of nowhere for no reason at all.

Co-worker: What are you talking about?

Me: Like when the Punisher is tied up and being tortured. Right in the middle of being punched, all of a sudden...it cut’s to him having sex with his wife! 

Co-worker: It’s called ‘going to your Happy Place’

Me: Ew, gross! I’d rather be punched in the face.

Yatagarasu

My favorite band released their date sim game. And I was more than happy when I found out that someone decided to play it instead of me and summarized the plot of the game.

Also

Some of my IRL friends wanted to fund me a DNA test to see if I'm indeed human. Because I'm unable to process even remotely romantic feelings towards fictional characters and I struggle with real people too.

Hermit Advocate
51 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Some of my IRL friends wanted to fund me a DNA test to see if I'm indeed human.

Take the money, but instead of a DNA test use it to buy yourself lots of cake. 

waddiwasi
20 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Some of my IRL friends wanted to fund me a DNA test to see if I'm indeed human. 

Charming...

Yatagarasu
20 hours ago, Hermit Advocate said:

Take the money, but instead of a DNA test use it to buy yourself lots of cake. 

A+ idea! :D

Time to run a gofundme page

Rhyme

Not looking forward to Christmas with the family because you just know they're going to ask about relationships. My grandma on my dad's side is so worried because I don't have a boyfriend, and likes to bring up the fact that she was married when she was my age (only because she was pregnant, but we don't talk about that.) To make it even worse, this year, 3 out of my 4 cousins have boyfriends/girlfriends (the last one is 10 years old), and my little brother just got a girlfriend. 

I don't want to tell her I'm aro/ace, because she's not going to understand. I always tell her that I don't want / am not interested in a relationship, but the hint is not even close to being taken.

nerdperson777
On 12/2/2017 at 3:35 PM, Yatagarasu said:

Some of my IRL friends wanted to fund me a DNA test to see if I'm indeed human. Because I'm unable to process even remotely romantic feelings towards fictional characters and I struggle with real people too.

You just missed it.  23andme had a deal for 2 ancestry tests for $99.  I just did it with my mom so we probably won't get results until January.  There still are deals, but not as good as the one I just had.  With how many women the Khans bedded, I wouldn't be surprised if I was part Mongolian.

Yatagarasu
4 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

You just missed it.  23andme had a deal for 2 ancestry tests for $99.  I just did it with my mom so we probably won't get results until January.  There still are deals, but not as good as the one I just had.  With how many women the Khans bedded, I wouldn't be surprised if I was part Mongolian

I would do such out of pure curiosity, but the problem is that I live in Poland and I'd have to get to another country, because genetic tests "just for fun" are banned here (:3 _ )=

Zash
17 hours ago, Rhyme said:

Not looking forward to Christmas with the family because you just know they're going to ask about relationships. My grandma on my dad's side is so worried because I don't have a boyfriend, and likes to bring up the fact that she was married when she was my age (only because she was pregnant, but we don't talk about that.) To make it even worse, this year, 3 out of my 4 cousins have boyfriends/girlfriends (the last one is 10 years old), and my little brother just got a girlfriend. 

I don't want to tell her I'm aro/ace, because she's not going to understand. I always tell her that I don't want / am not interested in a relationship, but the hint is not even close to being taken.

I used the line "The girls I date are not the kind you bring home to meet the parents." when I was in university.  Which was true, since they were imaginary, and it is kinda hard to bring figments of your imagination home to meet the parents.  And if you CAN bring figments of your imagination home to meet the parents, I know someone who will pay $1,000,000 to someone who can demonstrate supernatural powers under scientific test conditions.

ChillaKilla

Gaaaah... being arospec and in a relationship is weird as hell... being “in love” is honestly kind of scary from a rational standpoint. My emotions are never telling me the same thing. I can go from “I want to be with you forever” to “I love you, but am I ‘in love’? Ehh....” in no time flat and it’s really quite irritating. But whether I’m “in love” or just feel “love” (in the context of deep emotional regard that isn’t necessarily romantic), the presence of any kind of love is what matters in the end.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

@ChillaKilla That sounds both dizzying and confusing and incredibly cute. Also relationship goals, if I ever ever get back in a relationship. :D

Just every day of my life, wondering why people would think having a second person around would help ease or simplify their lives, while I don't even process my own emotions let alone others ;) also seeing couples. Everywhere.

nerdperson777

I'm now employed in an educational environment and the legal documents say don't date your students. That whole time I thought, "you won't have that trouble with me."

Galactic Turtle

Me: "Question. Does the average person date because they actually want to, because they're bored, or a combination of the two?"

Friend: "Omg I'm giving up on you."

Hermit Advocate
5 hours ago, Galactic Turtle said:

Me: "Question. Does the average person date because they actually want to, because they're bored, or a combination of the two?"

I find this to be a very valid question. I feel like boredom plays a lot more into dating than people want to admit, but I could be wrong. Romantics, answer this for us.