Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

(I identify as demi but I seem to be leaning very much towards the aromantic side of the spectrum, if that's possible)

Me: I'm going to get braces.

Girl: You're never going to get a boyfriend until after those are gone.

Me: Meh. Boyfriends seem pretty overrated.

*Girl looks at me like I'm crazy. I walk away*

Also, stories like Romeo and Juliet make absolutely no sense to me. In my English class, my classmates were irritated with me because I said that there was no way they could possibly fall in love within such a short time period and they must've been infatuated. They all said it was love at first sight... <_<

There are probably more moments but I'm sure you all don't want a giant listing of every single one.

• Like 5
Forest Spirit

I've recently been told a "real-life love at first sight"-story and all I could think was "yeah.... that doesn't happen for me!", I know that it's apparently a thing (atleast primary attraction because I do think that actual love takes time) but it's probably one of those things I'll never be able to fully understand since I don't experience it.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
Just now, Quasar.w said:

I've recently been told a "real-life love at first sight"-story.

Well, it wasn't "love at first sight" but true RL love nevertheless. It just slowly developed and grew as time passed by. We started out as friends - ended up as lovers for ever.  Even if life has changed a lot since that time, it will always remain as the most beautiful memory of my life.

As for now: It would be great to meet other same-minded aces like me near my area. That would be an incredible moment for sure :D

The_Reluctant_Dragon

Friend: "You see that chick over there, I like her so much!"

Me: "I thought you liked that other girl?"

Friend: "I can like both"

Me: "What are both of their names?"

Friend: (He says two random names)

Me: "Sure"

Friend: "Who do you like?"

Me: Me? "I don't like anyone, that way"

Friend: "What do you mean, "that way"?"

Me: "Romance isn't really my thing, I guess."

Friend: "You have to want to date someone!"

Me: "No you don't"

Friend: "Well, can you have crushes?"

Me: "Crushes involve romance, I thought you would know that."

Friend: (he looks so confused)

Me: "I'm an aromantic asexual, I lack romantic and sexual attraction."

Friend: "Ummm, Okay"

Me: (Just stare at his confused face.)

Friend: "But, do you still want to date or get married?"

Me: (I die on the inside)

• Like 9

"For the thousandth time, no, I'm not aro!"

A lot of people seem to forget this.

Hermit Advocate
On 9/10/2017 at 2:26 AM, The_Reluctant_Dragon said:

This makes me want to bang my head on a desk. I'm sorry your friend is clueless.

• Like 1
The_Reluctant_Dragon
2 hours ago, Hey you in the corner said:

This makes me want to bang my head on a desk. I'm sorry your friend is clueless.

It's fine.

Today my dad and I were driving through a very rural area, and we passed a town sign that said the population was like 400. My dad said "Could you imagine living in a town with only 400 people? It would be pretty hard to find a date", and I was just thinking "Well I wouldn't mind that one bit.."

• Like 4
WoodwindWhistler
On 9/9/2017 at 8:26 PM, The_Reluctant_Dragon said:

Friend: "You have to want to date someone!"

Me: "No you don't"

Friend: "Well, can you have crushes?"

Me: "Crushes involve romance, I thought you would know that."

Friend: (he looks so confused)

(a) you can have crushes on people and want to have sex with them instead of be in a relationship. People who are *exclusively* that way are aromantic allosexuals. 

It depends on whether someone uses "crush" to mean romantic feelings or sexual. It could be either. 

(b) You can get married even if you're aromantic. There are plenty of aces/aros on here which would like the companionship. 

On 9/21/2017 at 2:24 PM, WoodwindWhistler said:

(b) You can get married even if you're aromantic. There are plenty of aces/aros on here which would like the companionship. 

Also, I hear the tax breaks are good.  And if you want to immigrate somewhere, getting married can help too.

• Like 1

I think i had a crush once. A am aromantic to the bone though, but didn't exactly realized it back then.

Saw a girl, like a perfect human being, and something exploded in my mind. And it felt like someone else took control over my actions. I suddenly got enough balls to go and talk to her and being confident and direct. And as soon as i got her attention and we started communicating, i turned back into my regular aromantic self.

Wow, you were so confident! I could never speak to a person like that! - She said

It is not me!!! - I was crying in my mind

As it turned out, she had a boyfriend. Whew. What a relief. Couple of days later i learn they broke up and she starts to show lots of interest in me. I start really panicking. What do i do now? I am not interested in her *that* way, or any way for that matter. Purely fictional crush i guess.

Are you fucking her? - Asked a male friend

What? Ew, no - I replied

I recommend fucking. - He said

Well, thanks for the advice, i think i will just be awkwardly sabotaging the friendship until she does not want to speak to me anymore. It worked.

• Like 4
Hermit Advocate
On 9/16/2017 at 6:00 PM, Pramana said:

Dining alone at a restaurant on Valentine's day. Not realizing it is Valentine's day. Wondering why the server is behaving awkwardly.

I've gotten used to eating out by myself on occasion. People tend to look at me strange when I ask for a table for 1 but they quickly get over it. I don't know that I'd want to go out to eat on valentine's day though. Though it might be fun to pretend I've gotten stood up to see if I can get a free desert or something. 

• Like 7
23 hours ago, Hey you in the corner said:

I've gotten used to eating out by myself on occasion. People tend to look at me strange when I ask for a table for 1 but they quickly get over it. I don't know that I'd want to go out to eat on valentine's day though. Though it might be fun to pretend I've gotten stood up to see if I can get a free desert or something. 

Yay, free food!

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
Forest Spirit

Don't know if aromantic moment or just "not getting marriage"-moment, but here it goes:

Spoilers for Zelda Breath of the Wild, sidequest "from the ground up"

So in this sidequest a guy named Hudson asks you several times (like atleast 10) if you can bring him materials or workers for the town he wants to set up. I liked seeing the town grow and stuff, plus those workers open up pretty useful shops. There is also this one gerudo woman who then sells you cloth.

Nice right!? Just.... at the end now Hudson and this gerudo lady suddenly want to... get married... because... I have no idea ^sigh^

So you're asked to bring a zora priest for the ceremony and invite his old boss and coworker. Ok. And finally they get married. Ok... I think it was supposed to be romantic but I was just like "what!? Why!? Like... never mind"

When he tells you about the wedding you actually have the option "congratulations" and sth like "wait what?", I was tempted to pick the second one but then I didn't want to be rude :D 

I'm just still weirded out by the end of this sidequest! Like... building a town, cool. Materials, neccesary. Employees, neccesary. Marriage, what does that have to do with building a town?

When I was a freshman in high school, one of my friends (convenience friends, I call it, because we were only friends because we transferred from the same middle school) refused to let me get my textbook out of our shared locker unless I told her who I have a crush on. She was not okay with me saying "no one," and the class was starting soon... so I panicked and literally blurted out the first name that came into my head (a family friend). She proceeded to look him up on Facebook and question me about him for the entire semester. Thankfully, the guy whose name I dropped never checks his social media and lives across the country...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, lunarmorgan said:

When I was a freshman in high school, one of my friends (convenience friends, I call it, because we were only friends because we transferred from the same middle school) refused to let me get my textbook out of our shared locker unless I told her who I have a crush on. She was not okay with me saying "no one," and the class was starting soon... so I panicked and literally blurted out the first name that came into my head (a family friend). She proceeded to look him up on Facebook and question me about him for the entire semester. Thankfully, the guy whose name I dropped never checks his social media and lives across the country...

Another funny idea would've been to say "John Smith." Because, you know, that totally isn't a very common name... <_<

• Like 4
On 9/16/2017 at 6:00 PM, Pramana said:

Dining alone at a restaurant on Valentine's day. Not realizing it is Valentine's day. Wondering why the server is behaving awkwardly.

My mother's birthday is the day before Valentine's Day, but our family almost never celebrates the day of because of work or school. It is ridiculously awkward to be the only party of more than 2 in a restaurant on VD. 

• Like 1

I was hanging out with some of my friends (who know I'm aro ace) and one of them said "Everyone needs love!" I glared at her and she pointed at me and said "Except you!"

• Like 6
nerdperson777
4 hours ago, spaceace24 said:

I was hanging out with some of my friends (who know I'm aro ace) and one of them said "Everyone needs love!" I glared at her and she pointed at me and said "Except you!"

It doesn't have to be romantic or sexual.  It could be many different kinds, but appreciate the laugh.

• Like 6
On 10/8/2017 at 3:32 PM, Quasar.w said:

Don't know if aromantic moment or just "not getting marriage"-moment, but here it goes:

Spoilers for Zelda Breath of the Wild, sidequest "from the ground up"

So in this sidequest a guy named Hudson asks you several times (like atleast 10) if you can bring him materials or workers for the town he wants to set up. I liked seeing the town grow and stuff, plus those workers open up pretty useful shops. There is also this one gerudo woman who then sells you cloth.

Nice right!? Just.... at the end now Hudson and this gerudo lady suddenly want to... get married... because... I have no idea ^sigh^

So you're asked to bring a zora priest for the ceremony and invite his old boss and coworker. Ok. And finally they get married. Ok... I think it was supposed to be romantic but I was just like "what!? Why!? Like... never mind"

When he tells you about the wedding you actually have the option "congratulations" and sth like "wait what?", I was tempted to pick the second one but then I didn't want to be rude :D 

I'm just still weirded out by the end of this sidequest! Like... building a town, cool. Materials, neccesary. Employees, neccesary. Marriage, what does that have to do with building a town?

Well, maybe they just met during the construction of the town, and since Link was such a great help and friend to him, he thought Link could help him with his wedding too.  He could have been romancing her the entire time Link was doing the quest, and never mentioned it to Link, because, well, did Link ever ask about his love life (and to be fair, don't most ace people prefer people to take a don't ask/don't tell approach to people's love lives)?

Also, building a town does take time (which gets compressed because it is also a lot of boring repetitive work, tangential to the actual game play), so the time it takes might have been intended to be more drawn out if you don't just beeline the side quest.  

Forest Spirit
3 hours ago, Zash said:

Well, maybe they just met during the construction of the town, and since Link was such a great help and friend to him, he thought Link could help him with his wedding too.  He could have been romancing her the entire time Link was doing the quest, and never mentioned it to Link, because, well, did Link ever ask about his love life (and to be fair, don't most ace people prefer people to take a don't ask/don't tell approach to people's love lives)?

Also, building a town does take time (which gets compressed because it is also a lot of boring repetitive work, tangential to the actual game play), so the time it takes might have been intended to be more drawn out if you don't just beeline the side quest.  

Yes I get that the ingame time and actual time it would take to build the town are not the same. I don't know... maybe I would've prefered a short comment before the announcement as part of a task he sends you to do, to give me the impression that there's already an evolving relationship. Like this it was just out of the blue for me which is something I've never been able to relate to (love at first sight and stuff) :D 

I was at my local art gallery waiting for the start of a documentary screening, reading Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao to pass time. Some guy in a suit comes up to me and introduces himself, and asks what I'm reading as an icebreaker, so I say "Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao". Then apropos of nothing, I proceed to initiate him to ~the discourse~ on Junot Diaz, and his position on fat positivity, for 15+ minutes. Everything I can think of. Because, at the time, I am super passionate about Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. The guy stands there politely, and when I pause to take a breath, quickly excuses himself to get another drink. And all but runs away. 

I told this story to my friends later, and they all agreed that the poor guy probably wanted to know about ME, and was attempting to flirt with ME. No way my (a?)romantic ass was going to pick up on that.   

• Like 2

i remember being in greece during the summer holidays, and making friends with this family. so we bumped into them and my sister and i went swimming with their kids (who were of our ages). this was like, four or five years back, when i should've known i was aromantic, but whatever.

so we were conversing and suddenly the oldest, a girl, started talking about who she was gonna marry (she had a boyfriend) and she asked me and my sister about it after her little brother had told us. my younger sister instantly replied with her celebrity crush or whatever, and then they asked me. i literally had to think for minutes and ended up saying "caramel"  because it was my favorite food back then. so there's that hehe.

• Like 1

"Ehhh you do know love at first sight is LAFS, right? Now pronounce LAFS."

*laughs* 

• Like 5

also there's this guy who likes my best friend and she doesn't like him that way. when she says to me that they're still talking and i ask why she can't just stop talking to him, she says that she can't for some reason and that she likes the attention and i'm just like what?? this other guy who likes me, he makes me feel so uncomfortable and i would avoid conversation with him at all costs.

(another aro moment) this is actually a convo between us, 16 feb:

him: sooo have you done anything for valentine's day

me: haha nope

him: did you get a rose? [thats a thing in our school where we can pay for people to bring roses during class]

me: actually i didn't know it was valentine's day. and haha fortunately not

him: fortunately? don't you like roses?

me: yep. and no, they wither away. but um what would i want with those?

him: i'll give you a cookie then

me: well ok

him: shit now i have to give you a cookie

me: yes you do

him: but wait, you'll be FOREVER ALONE

me: probably

him: why?

me: idk. because i like dreaming alone [dreaming alone reference from against the current]

him: don't you want someone giving you a feeling like love in the summer [another reference]

me: *changes subject*

but honestly i did not even know that he liked me back then which is kinda bad i know but i CAN'T HELP MY AROMANTICISM OKAY?

• Like 1

So uh... A bit new to this thread, but last night certainly was an incredible aro moment. I apologize if it doesn't count/isn't quite along the lines of what the thread is for.

I've been dating this guy for a couple of months, and kind of lowkey feeling bad for not quite seeming to like him the same way/with the same intensity he seems to like me. Well, we talked about this last night as he's kind of been going back and forth between "wait we're dating why did I agree to this" and "OH MY GOSH I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND." We talked it over more and realized what we really wanted out of the relationship was more along the lines of a qpr, and he kind of came out to me and himself at the same time that he might be aro. Or panromantic in such a way that he's effectively still aro. And I admitted to him that being in this relationship opened up the question to me again about my own romantic orientation, but I didn't want to come off as rejecting him if I said "btw I think this relationship made me realize I'm aro or at least arospec." So... We came out to one another as aromantic. And while we're still together, we're not dating anymore, just in a qpr. For simplicity's sake our parents will still assume we're dating unless they ask for specifics but yeah.

Still, what are the odds? I mean we're both aspec too (he's demi and I'm pretty ace from what I can tell, maaaybe gray-ace) so I guess it's not that unusual but... What. Are. The. Odds?

• 2 weeks later...

I almost started crying in school the other day. My slightly conservative friend had gotten into an argument with me months back about asexuality and other lgbt issues. She walked into lunch and she was talking to another friend of ours. She was explaining sexualities i guess. She told her asexuality was a lack of sexual attraction. She didn't say it was impossible biologically or anything else. It seemed like she educated herself and/or became more accepting and I was so happy. I'm hoping this means she get aromanticism more too. Similarly, i got a chance to explain multiple sexualities to an uneducated friend. 

• Like 2

I don't know whether I'm aromantic or gray-romantic anymore. A lot of the aspects of my relationship feel performative, like calling my girlfriend "girlfriend" and whatnot, as if I'm just going through the motions of what's required. That certainly isn't to say that I'm not sincere when I say those things- believe me, I am- but it honestly just feels like being best friends who sleep with each other... I dunno. My ASD makes it extremely difficult to determine the exact nature of any strong emotion I feel towards anybody, especially when one gets to the "love-versus-in love" dichotomy. I love people, sometimes very strongly (as in this case), but I don't think I'll ever be truly "in love". If I'm not 100% aromantic I'm still aro-spec, I know that for sure...

• Like 2