Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

Forest Spirit
6 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

>mfw I've actually had to deal with that nonsense in this forum today from someone who claims that kissing is inherently romantic

On this forum? Damn... Kissing is simply sensual! Of course it CAN be seen as a romantic activity but... just nope!

• Like 1
nerdperson777
6 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

On this forum? Damn... Kissing is simply sensual! Of course it CAN be seen as a romantic activity but... just nope!

Kissing is commonly seen as romantic but it's different for everyone. It could be sensual, sexual or emotional really. 

• Like 1
Forest Spirit
12 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Kissing is commonly seen as romantic but it's different for everyone. It could be sensual, sexual or emotional really. 

For me kissing and other things that involve physical contact like hugging are primarily sensual (since you sense something with your body), and then on a "second level" they can be romantic, emotional, sexual, platonic etc. I don't know if this makes any sense... maybe I see it a bit too literal :D as in: sensual = senses

• Like 5
ChillaKilla

Hey everyone, I'm now an admin of an aromantic (and sometimes ace) pride account on Instagram! Follow us at @aromanatees, I'm admin Leo :) 

• Like 2

A few weeks ago, my roommate and her fiancé got a ukulele and sang the Love is an Open Door duet from Frozen. It was horrible. Their love disgusts me. :lol:

• Like 3
Dodecahedron314
On April 5, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Lovrina said:

I'm too chickenshit to tell anyone lol. people on the internet take it as some sort of sjw snowflake term, and people in real life think you're coming out of the closet as a serial killer. but when I tell people I don't date often because "I have problems committing" they're suddenly cool with it for some reason?? people are weird. 

Nobody's ever been all that surprised when I've told them, because I've been basically the most flamboyantly aro person in existence since before I even knew aromanticism existed, but then again a lot of people also already peg me as the serial killer type for some reason, so there is that.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Nobody's ever been all that surprised when I've told them, because I've been basically the most flamboyantly aro person in existence since before I even knew aromanticism existed, but then again a lot of people also already peg me as the serial killer type for some reason, so there is that.

hahaha "flamboyantly aro"? that's amazing :lol:

in general, I've just found that people make up the weirdest explanations as long as it suits them. I've had a (sort of) friend say "oh it's because you're a Libra right? yeah, Libras can be like that. they always seduce people but never commit." and that response just sucked out all the energy I've ever conserved in my entire life and I nearly withered away and died on the spot. sometimes you just have to say "well okay then" and never bring up the subject again. so I tend to not talk about my dating life unless someone asks first..

--------------

It took me an uncomfortable amount of time to figure out that all of my friends at the age of 12 or 13 weren't also faking their crushes. I think I really thought that a crush was where you just picked a guy and said he was your 'crush'... I'm not sure what I must have thought the purpose of this was. But since I wanted to fit in, I too picked a guy (I just picked the guy that a lot of girls seemed to like) and said that he was my crush.

• Like 5
EmotionalAndroid

I just finished playing "Tales from the Borderlands" because my sister wanted me to play it. I showed her my in-game choices that it shows at the end of the game, and she laughed (somewhat knowingly perhaps?) that I was one of the very small percentage of people (I think 11%) who refused to romantically ship two of the characters and that I chose to say the characters were just friends. :P I'd like to think those 11% were aros. REPRESENT!

• Like 5
Forest Spirit
2 minutes ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

I just finished playing "Tales from the Borderlands" because my sister wanted me to play it. I showed her my in-game choices that it shows at the end of the game, and she laughed (somewhat knowingly perhaps?) that I was one of the very small percentage of people (I think 11%) who refused to romantically ship two of the characters and that I chose to say the characters were just friends. :P I'd like to think those 11% were aros. REPRESENT!

And I find it so awesome that you get the possibility to NOT ship them, not just "ignoring it" but actually saying "nope" :P

• Like 1
Red Sun Rises

So, aro moment.  I came late to the Sims game, only ever playing consoles like PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Gameboy Advance, etc, and I never had a Sims game for those (my family is mostly into shoot-em-ups, lots of Star Wars Battlefront - THE ORIGINALS!!!!! - and Call of Duty going on with the odd Crash Bandicoot and Pokemon mixed in).  So, I bought Sims 3 right when Sims 4 came out and it was like 75% off, started playing it.  My first family was a single mother with two kids, and it never even crossed my mind to romantically pair up.  I didn't even realize you could DO that until I decided to create a family based on Odo and Kira Nerys from ST:DS9 and learned that there was actually the romantic social interactions.  Played that game for months as a single lady interacting with basically no one except her kids and like the neighbor who was always hanging around.

• Like 1
nerdperson777

I remember being on an Assassin's Creed forum a few years ago and in one topic, we were making our own stories about our ancestors.  My ancestor was like me gender-wise, a guy with a high respect for women.  This was before I realized I was trans.  I even tried to do a joint story with someone else, with their ancestor meeting mine.  But since my character was an ancestor, they must've had kids.  I had no way out of that because I made him a direct ancestor, with my last name.  I chose the lazy way out of it and said that the girl he ended up being with was the one who saved him (and his father) from a tough situation and introduced him to the Assassins.  They went on many missions together in the future and got married because of the (platonic) connection of they had.  So basically a best friend/queerplatonic scenario.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

So I decided to try grow some maintained stubble and was looking at the best way to maintain it. A site had a bit about reasons not to grow it. The main answer is, "If your partner doesn't like being kissed by someone with stubble". Ok so what reasons are there for me to not grow stubble?

• Like 7
On 4/6/2017 at 10:51 AM, Quasar.w said:

That's your opinion. If someone else feels it's romantic they have the right to feel that way. Everyone doesn't see things the same but apparently you feel your opinion is the only one that matters. 

• Like 1
Forest Spirit
50 minutes ago, Just like Jughead said:

That's your opinion. If someone else feels it's romantic they have the right to feel that way. Everyone doesn't see things the same but apparently you feel your opinion is the only one that matters. 

I think you misunderstood me there, the original post (if I remember correctly) was about someone insisting that kissing is ALWAYS romantic and not considering that that's not true for everyone. For me personally it isn't but that's why I said "it can be seen as romantic too", in the sense of "I know that for a lot of people it is romantic, even though it's not an only-romantic-thing for me but mostly sensual". Hope this makes sense and clears things up!? I'm not that good at explaining my thoughts...

• Like 2

When there's a kissing scene in a movie/ TV show and I'm watching with a straight face, tapping my fingers, thinking 'hurry the fuck up'.

• Like 3

I have two friends and they are pretty certain I won't ever find anyone, especially without their help, so, this happened a few weeks ago: 

I was visiting them (they live on the other side of the country as me) and we were waiting for the train, and they were bored, so they start looking around, and decide they're going to find me someone, and started asking me what I liked, hair color (answer: um...), age (answer: what, why.. gahh!), and pointing out just everyone... while I just stood there waiting for them to get bored :lol: ... 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

-Thinking one of your only friends is a crush because everyone has them.

-Also, when you can't keep track of who's dating who very well.

-When someone says "I kissed so-and-so!" and you feel like rolling your eyes.

-When you go to your first dance, and your cousin decided to ask their friend to ask you to dance and you're trying to figure out whether to literally make a run for it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always been confused when people are in a relationship then end up talking trash on each other.  I get relationships have ups and downs, but when they say they love one another then constantly complain about each other to their friends makes no sense to me.This even comes up in most tv shows especially comedies it's such a weird thing.

• Like 2
Nea Rose Symphony

Wondering what the difference is between friendship and romance when romance in the long run is just having a best friend you can kiss and hold

• Like 3
SamwiseLovesLife
On 08/10/2014 at 6:23 PM, FOXracingfan said:

Guy friend: I'm vising home for the weekend : )

Me: That's cool!

Guy friend: Yep, do you have any weekend plans? : )

Me: Nope, you?

Guy friend: Well.. I just have to find someone to hang out with and something to do : )

Me: Good luck with that.

Guy friend: Thanks

I didn't even get what was Aro about this at first :"D

This super annoys me, IF SOMEONE WANTS TO HANG OUT, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST ASK??? God damn convoluted subtext..

• Like 1
Forest Spirit
2 hours ago, Cetasoul said:

Wondering what the difference is between friendship and romance when romance in the long run is just having a best friend you can kiss and hold

That was my definition of romance for as long as I can remember. I'm still confused about what it really is though since according to lots of people it's "kind of" this but not really but somehow yes and... CONFUSION!!!

1 hour ago, SamwiseLovesLife said:

I didn't even get what was Aro about this at first :"D

This super annoys me, IF SOMEONE WANTS TO HANG OUT, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST ASK??? God damn convoluted subtext..

I didn't get it either :D and yes, please people just TELL ME! I'm horrible at seeing suttle notes in conversations!!

• Like 3
Nea Rose Symphony
7 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

That was my definition of romance for as long as I can remember. I'm still confused about what it really is though since according to lots of people it's "kind of" this but not really but somehow yes and... CONFUSION!!!

I've even had romantic attraction before but I'm aromantic spectrum so even with that spotty history I'm still confused over romantic relationships, how to flirt, how do I know if I'm even into someone. Like my ex broke up for good and one of the reasons is it felt like friends more than anything. Um... isn't it supposed to have friendly tones with romantic gestures? Especially after like almost 5 years of knowing each other and 4 years of dating?

SamwiseLovesLife
On 07/04/2017 at 11:09 AM, Quasar.w said:

For me kissing and other things that involve physical contact like hugging are primarily sensual (since you sense something with your body), and then on a "second level" they can be romantic, emotional, sexual, platonic etc. I don't know if this makes any sense... maybe I see it a bit too literal :D as in: sensual = senses

Yeah I get this. For me different types of kissing are different ones.

In my experience/feels-

Mouth kissing (no tongue) = Romantic

Mouth/Body kissing with tongue = Sexual

Body/face (not mouth) kissing (no tongue) = Platonic/sensual

Like I would be comfortable kissing friends foreheads/body etc but nooooo tongue (way sexual imo) and mouth is too romantic to me and feels wrong because of that

• Like 2
Anony-moose

Playing overwatch with friends (or rather friends of friends) and they were talking about relationships. Meanwhile I just sat there in silence thinking "that sounds terrible".

--

Also they were really confused by some of their acquaintances' (or friends idk) open relationship and called it cheating. I didn't tell them it wasn't cheating since (from what I got from the conversation) they knew about each other's sexual affairs and consented. Also sex is just sex what's up with thinking it's inherently connected to emotional bonding (which it is for many since it's intimate, but it doesn't have to be).

Not so much an 'incredible aro moment' more of #aroproblems.

Talking to a friend/coworker who knows I'm ace. I tried explaining what a QPR is and how I may be interested in that with an ex-coworker we both know (and who has a crush/interest in me). I basically said it's like a super close and strong relationship but (for me) little to no romance or sex, but I'd want to cuddle and be sensual-ish. He said "Kinda like friends with benefits?"

No not friends with benefits...but in a modern way I guess. But still no because fwb implies there are no ties between the two. I didn't know how else to further explain the distinction of a 'normal' close friendship vs a qpr, but I enlightened him as I could   c:

Nea Rose Symphony

Feeling awkward when you can sense someone has heightened interest in you and fearing the very strong possibility that you'll never be able to feel the same way

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Cetasoul said:

Feeling awkward when you can sense someone has heightened interest in you

to be honest I just feel sorry for them lol

them: hey i like you

me: you will regret that for the rest of your life

• Like 3

I'm not totally sure if I'm aro, but I once had quite a aro moment though.

I once had this friend who went to high school a year before I did, and the frigging day that school ended I was talking with some people from my class and they dropped that he had liked me all along and I was like:

"Did he? I never even noticed!" (I had just told them that I may have had a crush on him, looking back I totally didn't) and they just all stared at me, very silently.

When you see couples who have a shared Facebook page and you don't think it's sweet but you wonder instead why they don't have separate identities anymore. 

• Like 4