Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

Dodecahedron314
On 1/24/2017 at 4:07 PM, EmotionalAndroid said:

For me, my recurring happy theme is me being a male in the 1930's and being alone in my apartment with some pleasant jazz playing. That's it. Simple bliss. In fact, most of my happy daydreams involve me being alone.

It's downright uncanny how similar this is to a situation I often imagine myself in. Though sometimes I'm the one playing the jazz because my ideal daydream self is much better at clarinet than I am. :P 

• Like 2
nerdperson777
1 hour ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

It's downright uncanny how similar this is to a situation I often imagine myself in. Though sometimes I'm the one playing the jazz because my ideal daydream self is much better at clarinet than I am. :P 

I'm hoping for my inner violinist. But I don't have a correctly sized violin right now and I haven't been playing music lately. 

• Like 2
EmotionalAndroid
3 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

That's awesome! :D

I just realized that my ideal daydream self isn't super talented...he's kind of a lazy individual, but he's confident and not anxious. That's all I wish for, really.

• Like 5
On 4/25/2014 at 10:35 AM, Wokgran X said:

I guess things get more interesting playing "The Sims". Since the characters that represent me in the game are strictly forbidden of getting in relationships. xDDD

And if things go out of my control, cheats and killing start :ph34r: *let the pool or door-less room games begin*. It was fun, but also gets boring very fast.

I didn't liked the sims 2 that much because of the aging mechanism, that somehow forces you to have kids. Then i decided to populate the entire district with the same family (gave up on the fourth house, decorating the house was way more fun than dealing with the sims). And sometimes used cheats to make the child appear or to make the players be abducted by aliens, but since the alien kids are very ugly, it wasn't that cool. I guess it's an aromantic/loner thing that i could play minecraft for hours and hours and days and days without getting bored and without mods, but can't do the same with the sims, even exploiting the game, killing npcs, and etc.

For some reason every time I've played Sims my primary goal has been to make my Sim wet themselves.

nerdperson777

I'm fine playing Minecraft without mods whatsoever.  I get in enough trouble randomly getting blown up by creepers, while trying to build a moat.  And living on a snowy cliff wasn't my best idea.

• Like 3

When you haven't talked to your bff like it seems forever and you finally get to talk to him. His response contains of being busy and being nervous and he adds a photo of a young woman to the message.

My thinking progress was oh he didn't tell me has a sister and then it dawned me.......he's talking about dating.

I totally forgot that the concept of dating and romantic relationships exist.:ph34r:

• Like 7
EmotionalAndroid

Last night I had a dream where I was one of my favorite modern actors and eventually I was with a pretty mermaid who kept trying to kiss me and I woke myself up because I felt so uncomfortable. Even when I am not me and even when it is a dream, I can't deal with romance. Haha!

• Like 1
Forest Spirit

Ace, aro and "not being that sociable"-moment of the day: being paranoid about if a friend just asked me out on a date or not (and me saying yes):ph34r: I hope not... because that'd be super awkward:lol:

And just in general: being paranoid about people missinterpreting things I say or do as flirting...

• Like 3
Galactic Turtle

***Junior year of high school: 2011.***

Friend: *is on the verge of tears*

Me: Uh... you sure you're ok?

Friend: I'm just really upset about Carl.

Me: Wait, you actually liked him?

Friend: We dated for four months! Why would I not like him?

Me: Oh. I just... assumed you were dating because he liked you, not the other way around. He's also kind of ugly.

Friend: ....

Me: And you broke up with him... he still likes you.

Me: And that was two weeks ago.

Me: There's plenty of fish in the sea?

Friend: You're terrible.

Me: So I've been told.

• Like 11
nerdperson777

Once I was telling someone about how my dad was a country boy and my mom was a city girl. That person said that it sounded like a romance movie. My parents don't show any affection to each other from what I've seen ever in my life. I'm just stating the facts. My dad spent his early years in the country and mom lived in the city. It would be the romance with the unromantic ending. 

• Like 2

colleague: Have you seen the way behaves with our odd job man?

me: What? I've missed this. What is it they've been doing?

colleague: She's been being so flirty when he's around. And he keeps visiting here.

I had no idea there was anything going on. 

• Like 2
ConfusedAroAce

I've got two stories that I can think of that are aro moments.

Me and my family listen to this radio station, and it's a talk show. They do something called 'Second Date Update,' which is essentially where they Listen to two people's stories from their first date with each other and attempt to send them on another. After one of them, my dad was talking about me being on that show someday, and I assured him that I wasn't going to get a date anytime soon. Meaning that I wasn't going to get a date ever. My dad then said that maybe I'd be on a 'no date update' show then, where we would talk about what we did that weekend. 

My other story is shorter, and it it was me coming to the conclusion that Katniss Everdeen was an aromantic. I don't know why, but that moment just strikes me as personally aromantic to me. I guess actually finding another aro was like earning an achievement in a game. XD

When I was 13, I came out to my friends and family as gay.

My parents were very supportive and happy.

that was two years ago.

I recently realized I am ace.

i found out that my parents think of asexuality as a medical condition.

i decided not to tell them.

That was almost a month ago.

I recently found something about platonic crushes, or squishes.

... it's like someone was describing every "crush" I've ever had perfectly.

...no wonder I only ever "liked" other girls who were my close friends.

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WAS DUMB ENOUGH TO MISTAKE MY OWN SQUISH FOR A CRUSH?!?!?!?!?

• Like 1

Thanks! I was fine with being ace, but for some reason aro is very hard to except for me.

• Like 2
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
13 minutes ago, Squishy cake said:

Thanks! I was fine with being ace, but for some reason aro is very hard to except for me.

Me being Gray aromantic (but being more aromantic then anything) is something I am still struggling to accept at times.

You aren't dumb for mistaking a squish for a crush. I have mistaken my sensual attractions for crushes, so you aren't alone in this.

• Like 4
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

My incredible aromantic moment is: seeing others this week panicking on what to get their boo on Valentine's day and I'm like:

"I don't have THAT problem :D "

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet said:

Me being Gray aromantic (but being more aromantic then anything) is something I am still struggling to accept at times.

You aren't dumb for mistaking a squish for a crush. I have mistaken my sensual attractions for crushes, so you aren't alone in this.

Thank you! I haven't heard many people say that they made that mistake before. Now 2 people have.

its been very helpful 

• Like 2
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
Just now, Squishy cake said:

Thank you! I haven't heard many people say that they made that mistake before. Now 2 people have.

its been very helpful 

Oh it is no problem :)

I am glad I was some help :)

• Like 1

Today I scheduled a work meeting next Tuesday with a client and his first response was..."oh, that's Valentines Day"  and my first thought was "who gives a shit".

• Like 6
nerdperson777
2 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Today I scheduled a work meeting next Tuesday with a client and his first response was..."oh, that's Valentines Day"  and my first thought was "who gives a shit".

I'm anticipating people feeling awkward if they schedule a meeting at night because they think of it like you are their date. 

• Like 3
On 09/02/2017 at 1:42 AM, Squishy cake said:

When I was 13, I came out to my friends and family as gay.

My parents were very supportive and happy.

that was two years ago.

I recently realized I am ace.

i found out that my parents think of asexuality as a medical condition.

i decided not to tell them.

That was almost a month ago.

I recently found something about platonic crushes, or squishes.

... it's like someone was describing every "crush" I've ever had perfectly.

...no wonder I only ever "liked" other girls who were my close friends.

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WAS DUMB ENOUGH TO MISTAKE MY OWN SQUISH FOR A CRUSH?!?!?!?!?

I'm kinda similar. Although I never came out as gay because I had no reason to, my family still see being ace as a medical condition or similar (mum has said she hopes I'm not ace), yet see being gay as valid. Hang in there, you're not alone :) 

• Like 2
Forest Spirit
9 hours ago, Squishy cake said:

9 hours ago, Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet said:

(quoting skills :D)

I'm going to join the "struggling with accepting being aro"-thing, sometimes I really wish I could feel romantic attraction just to feel a tiny bit less like an outsider... That doesn't mean me being romantic would make me better at relationships because that's just a thought my brain made up and I haven't been able to get rid off yet.

^hugs^ to you both!!

• Like 1
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
8 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

(quoting skills :D)

I'm going to join the "struggling with accepting being aro"-thing, sometimes I really wish I could feel romantic attraction just to feel a tiny bit less like an outsider... That doesn't mean me being romantic would make me better at relationships because that's just a thought my brain made up and I haven't been able to get rid off yet.

^hugs^ to you both!!

*Hugs you back* :)

• Like 1

Most of my moments come from my one friends relationship. She and her boyfriend get together, and break up a week later. She looks to me for advice and all i can think is "I'm totally get whiplash from this relationship, and i'm not even part of it..." whilst trying with my extremely aromantic brain to figure out how to help her whilst finding the issue in their relationship even though i have no experience with relationships myself.

EmotionalAndroid

Today I was at a restaurant with my mom and I mentioned that I wanted more dressing for my salad because I am pretty sure they didn't put any on. My mom said I should ask the waiter for some, and I said that I didn't want to hassle anyone. My mom replies with "But that's his job....plus he's cute!"

Without even thinking about it, I ended up giving her just the perfect "You have got to be kidding me" look.

Frankdisapprove.gif

I hate it when people try to get me to do things because they think a guy is "cute." Seriously, I DON'T CARE. I AM NOT INTERESTED.

I did end up asking for more dressing, but only because I was tired of eating plain dry baby kale.

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...
nerdperson777
On 3/22/2016 at 6:00 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

Today I was playing Undertale finally, and I was talking to a friend over Skype at the same time, and so (mild spoilers) when I had to fight Papyrus, my conversation with her went something like this:
Me: "Wait, why are the only non-fighting actions available to check his stats, insult him, or flirt with him?"

Her: "Flirt with him! Do it!"

Me: "What? No! Why???"

Her: "Do it! He'll drop his guard and then you can mercy him, at the very least."

Me: "No. I'm not flirting with a skeleton."

Her: "Just flirt with him."

Me: "If this gets awkward, it's entirely your fault. I want you to remember that."

Her: "All right, whatever, just do it."

Me: *selects "flirt" option* *reads dialogue with increasing sense of worry* "Oh god. The skeleton just asked me out. This is such a weird game. This is entirely your fault."

I just did exactly this and it took me a while to find this post again.  My friend has watched all the LPs so she knows quite a bit.  So I saw flirt and insult.  I asked her, do I have to flirt with him?  She messaged me back "....yes."  Me: .... Friend: Mercy.  But I really have to say, this game ignores all conventional rules which makes it so unpredictable.

• Like 2
EmotionalAndroid

There is a kind of goofy song that I've liked for a long time that talks about falling in love at a Taco Bell. I've always liked that silly concept and wanted to write a story based on it, especially since I have a character who loves fast food and who is grey-romantic. I've tried writing it, but I am having one hell of a time doing so because I am aromantic and don't know how romance even works. xD I can't even write a grey-ro character.

• Like 1
On 2/9/2017 at 4:59 PM, Squishy cake said:
On 2/9/2017 at 4:52 PM, Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet said:

its been very helpful 

I think a good many of us aros go through this. It's normal because we can't tell the difference until someone really describes what a crush feels like.

• Like 2