Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

nerdperson777
On 7/8/2017 at 7:16 AM, Just Me, Myself and...Zie? said:

Friend: "______ likes you."

Me: "Who is that? I don't know them. I've never heard of them before. What?"

Friend: "This is a picture of them."

Me: "Is that supposed to affect my non-existent opinion of them?"

I don't understand why people value appearance in potential romantic interests so highly, when they don't consider their friends by appearance whatsoever...

I have had 3 guys go after me in my life (before I knew I was trans).  One was when my friends and I were at the center of the university where there's not-cafe food, like actual restaurants like Burger King.  We were at Jamba Juice.  They ordered and I was last.  When I went to order, the cashier said some guy wanted to pay for my drink.  I turned around and couldn't figure out who it was.  Since I didn't know who it was, I said I would just pay for my own drink.  It wasn't really about whether I was accepting or rejecting someone.  It's just that if I don't know who it is, I rather not bother.  I can't have an opinion of someone I don't even know.

• Like 3

This wasn't me, but it was a kid at a church "camp" that I was helping with.

Teacher: Do you think flowers are pretty?

Kids: Yes.

That One Kid: No. They ruin my life.

Random Kid: What will you do when you get married?

That One Kid: I won't.

• Like 5
Hermit Advocate

An older bully tried to make me and a boy kiss on the buss in first grade b smashing our heads together. Thankfully all he ended up doing was smashing our foreheads together really hard and getting himself kicked off the bus for 2 weeks. All I can remember thinking during the experience was how much I didn't want to kiss anyone and how gross I though it was. I think I would have been traumatized if we had actually been forced to kiss. *shudders*

nerdperson777
5 minutes ago, Hey you in the corner said:

An older bully tried to make me and a boy kiss on the buss in first grade b smashing our heads together. Thankfully all he ended up doing was smashing our foreheads together really hard and getting himself kicked off the bus for 2 weeks. All I can remember thinking during the experience was how much I didn't want to kiss anyone and how gross I though it was. I think I would have been traumatized if we had actually been forced to kiss. *shudders*

I found out that teachers are required to have a first aid certification to do their job.  I could be doing some teaching and my biggest dread is CPR.  It would be really weird if my "first kiss" was giving someone CPR.

• Like 2
Hermit Advocate
2 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

I found out that teachers are required to have a first aid certification to do their job.  I could be doing some teaching and my biggest dread is CPR.  It would be really weird if my "first kiss" was giving someone CPR.

I thought that they determined that the "kiss of life" doesn't really do anything and you should focus on chest compressions? But it's been years since I've taken CPR so I could be wrong. 

nerdperson777
1 minute ago, Hey you in the corner said:

I thought that they determined that the "kiss of life" doesn't really do anything and you should focus on chest compressions? But it's been years since I've taken CPR so I could be wrong. 

I haven't gotten the certification so I don't really know what the certification entails.  But by the sounds of it, it's spending 6 hours somewhere and who knows if the person even retains everything they learned there.  I'm learning from a friend that the Red Cross certification isn't that good, and there's a higher better one.

nerdperson777
1 minute ago, Hey you in the corner said:

@nerdperson777 Found this for you

#CPR humor. Get trained! Toll-free 844-900-SAFE (7233) or www.safetytrainingpros.com 'Like' us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SafetyTrainingPros

Well it's certainly true that I get attached to inanimate objects because of a lack of human friends.

• Like 1

A guy that I literally just met sent me a good morning text.

I responded: "Do you send good morning texts to all your friends?"

He: "No haha"

Me: "Why did you send one to me?"

He: "I don't know I guess I just felt like it hahaha"

Me: "Okay, weird, but okay"

he never texted me again. 

• Like 6
WinterWanderer
39 minutes ago, arowace said:

A guy that I literally just met sent me a good morning text.

I responded: "Do you send good morning texts to all your friends?"

He: "No haha"

Me: "Why did you send one to me?"

He: "I don't know I guess I just felt like it hahaha"

Me: "Okay, weird, but okay"

he never texted me again. 

Ugh, good morning texts creep me out

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Fioryn said:

Same! Honestly I don't get it. I hate when people text me constantly I need my space!

This guy was particularly annoying because he randomly approached me in public and was obviously flirting with me. I was like, "Oh god why not this again please". I was honestly kinda relieved when he asked me out right away because then I could just get it out of the way and tell him that I'm not interested. Yay! He said he was fine with just being friends so I gave him my number... and this shit happens. Don't treat me like a romantic proposition! I literally just rejected you yesterday you creep. 

Sorry about the rant I just hate when people flirt with me and then wont take no for an answer. THE WORST. 

• Like 7
Nea Rose Symphony
5 hours ago, Fioryn said:

I can see it being cute if from a super close friend or romantic partner but a stranger/acquaintance/every day friend? Noooo

• Like 4

@nerdperson777 and @Hey you in the corner

Level three first aider here. I'd definetly recommend it as a skill to learn even if you never go for a qualification. I got a book with everything we learnt in it afterwards so we wouldn't forget but I'm sure you could probably buy one anyway.

The kiss of life, or rescue breaths, does help during CPR and you are taught to give them when doing a First Aid qualification. The reason they are no longer said to be needed is for the benefit of the general public, after there were worries that people were hesitant about giving CPR because of them. CPR with just chest compressions isn't as effective, but it is a lot more effective than not giving CPR at all (funnily enough xp) so it was hoped that providing a compression only alternative would help to remove that hesitation.

When we were learning CPR, I was worried you had to practice on a person, as I hadn't seen the training dummies before (I now also know that practicing on a breathing person would be dangerous and unnecessarily awkward!). For real live humans, a first aid kit usually provides a specially designed sheet to place over their mouth to breathe through and you are always allowed to back out of rescue breaths if you want to. It's actually recommended you do so if there's no sheet and you have reason to believe that their mouth may be contaminated with something (allergen, drug substance, poison etc).

It is also nothing like a kiss (no experience kissing but others have confirmed). It reminded me of blowing up a balloon, except you only take a normal breath of air XD It's actually pretty exhausting and people have collapsed from giving CPR for extended periods of time, so having someone nearby to take over is always good ^.^

• Like 4

A few moments:

Dad: So, I'll never gonna meet your girlfriend? 

Me: No

Dad: Why? You must have a long term relationship or at least a girlfriend at your 20's

Me: Dad, dating is a waste of time. I got more important things to do. 

Dad: So you think you're so independent?

Me: Yes.

Dad: Everyone needs someone,  so what you're saying is invalid.

Me: ....

Dad: (Damn! He must be gay or something. Fucking hell I'm not going to have grandchildren) (says on his head while he stares at me upset)

Grandma: Why are you repelling every girl who wants to date you.

Me: I dunno.

Grandma: You must change your attitude or you'll never going to get married.

Me: Ehm... I don't want to get married and such thoughts will never come through to my head.

Grandma: Why do you say that?  God sent us to this world to populate it and the bible say...

Me: zzz....

Girl: Hello!

Me: Hey!

Girl : How are you?

Me: Fine thnx

Girl: (smiles and stares you)

Me: Ehm... What?

Girl: Nothing (smiles and tries to touch me)

Me: (oh crap, I must like her. I must get rid of her)

Girl: Is something wrong?

Me: I have to go (leaves)

And many other girls who tries to make contact with me. But things get uglier when a girl who is a friend fells in love with me and those are 80% of the cases.

• Like 6

Aro moments? I'm full of these!

-I don't understand pickup lines. One time I had to physically push this kid out of the way because he was bombarding me with cheesy pickup lines. It baffles me how anyone can fall for something so corny and overused.

-Another time I was just talking with this guy who was in my art class and drew really epic dragons and monsters. After classy he asked me if I wanted to go out and I was like "oh crap, he likes me. Initiate rejection phase!"

My response "I'm sorry I'm bogged down with responsibilites and commitments. I'm too busy" 

-It's also confusing as to what is defined as a date. I asked a friend if he wanted to go to the amusement park cause I had a spare ticket from someone who was too busy to go. He though it was a date.

-Oh yeah, I'm actually going to have to start celebrating valentine's day. Because there's a valentines day fundraiser for a certain travel opportunity...

I laughed (in recognition) while reading the latest posts in this thread. :)

Divide By Zero
On 2017-07-13 at 8:12 AM, Alexandmb said:

Girl: Hello!

Me: Hey!

Girl : How are you?

Me: Fine thnx

Girl: (smiles and stares you)

Me: Ehm... What?

Girl: Nothing (smiles and tries to touch me)

Me: (oh crap, I must like her. I must get rid of her)

Girl: Is something wrong?

Me: I have to go (leaves)

That reminds me of two things that happened in high school:

1. One day in some class we had to work on an assignment with another person. Some girl I barely knew came up to me and asked if I wanted to work on the assignment with her. I said that would be okay and I though she wanted to be friends. We started working on the assignment and it seemed like she was intensely interested in me, which seemed a bit odd. At the end of class she told me that she wanted to be my girlfriend. I was stunned and didn't know what to say at first but then said "No thanks". The girl started crying and making a big scene and saying she couldn't believe I rejected her.

2. A couple of times girls would tell me that they wanted to have my baby. Every time I thought to myself, "WTF??? Are girls crazy?

On 2017-07-12 at 9:08 AM, QuirkyGeek said:

Teacher: Do you think flowers are pretty?

Kids: Yes.

That One Kid: No. They ruin my life.

Random Kid: What will you do when you get married?

That One Kid: I won't.

When I was growing up, I told my parents several times that I was not going to have children when I grew up and a couple of times I told them I was not going to marry. Every time my parents would tell me that when I was an adult I would change my mind, but, of course, I never have. At least my parents were forewarned :)

When I think back on that now, I've always found it interesting and fascinating that somehow deep down inside I knew I was asexual and aromantic even if I wasn't aware of it until I was older.

On 2017-07-13 at 8:12 AM, Alexandmb said:

Grandma: Why are you repelling every girl who wants to date you.

Me: I dunno.

Grandma: You must change your attitude or you'll never going to get married.

Me: Ehm... I don't want to get married and such thoughts will never come through to my head.

Grandma: Why do you say that?  God sent us to this world to populate it and the bible say...

My brother (my only sibling) and his wife don't want to have children and they told my parents sometime after they married. After a few years my parents eventually came to accept that there will be no grandchildren in their lives. Most of my parents cousins and friends have grandchildren so I'm sure it must be difficult for my parents to see others their age with grandchildren and know that it's not an experience they're going to have. My grandmother, however, cannot accept it. She's always asking when the great-grandchildren are going to be coming.

Interestingly, I have a friend who does not want children and his brother, his only sibling, also does not want children. My friend told me that when they told their parents they don't want kids, his parents were happy because they don't want grandchildren. I thought every parent wanted grandchildren so I was very surprised to hear from my friend that his parents don't want grandchildren. My friend said that his parents view grandchildren as a burden that would prevent them from enjoying retirement.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Mr E said:

When I was growing up, I told my parents several times that I was not going to have children when I grew up and a couple of times I told them I was not going to marry. Every time my parents would tell me that when I was an adult I would change my mind, but, of course, I never have. At least my parents were forewarned :)

When I think back on that now, I've always found it interesting and fascinating that somehow deep down inside I knew I was asexual and aromantic even if I wasn't aware of it until I was older.

My brother told my parents the same thing. He's always ace, aro, and even aplatonic. He doesn't like people in general and would rather be alone than with friends. My parents said he'd probably change his mind when he was older too, whereas my sister and I were like "As long as you have at least one pet to keep you company." XD

My siblings and I have always known that we were ace and aro-spec as well, even before we knew the word existed. When people talked about attractiveness, sex, cheating, and anything along those lines we were always really confused.

• Like 4
nerdperson777
2 hours ago, Mr E said:

A couple of times girls would tell me that they wanted to have my baby. Every time I thought to myself, "WTF??? Are girls crazy?

I never really understood this.  "LET ME HAVE YOUR BABIES"  Isn't that an absolute turn off?  Also it's usually guys joking around with other guys when I hear it, even if I have heard girls say it to guys.

• Like 3
Hermit Advocate
On 7/17/2017 at 10:55 PM, nerdperson777 said:

"LET ME HAVE YOUR BABIES" 

I'd run for the hills if anyone of any gender/sex said this to me. 

• Like 5
On 7/19/2017 at 0:55 PM, Hey you in the corner said:

I'd run for the hills if anyone of any gender/sex said this to me. 

Even Hannibal Lecter?

... I hope you guys won't look on me unfavarably for that. I quiante be the only one thinking it, right?

... Am I the only one that gets tempted to dish out cannibalism puns when people say this?

• Like 1
Hermit Advocate

@Zectarash I may consider it for Hannibal Lecter. ;)

You know you're not quite alright in the head when you admire a cannibalistic serial killer. Keep the cannibal puns coming. 

Long before I knew about the concept of aromanticism, I wrote a "fantasy wedding plan" in which all the readings were about friendship rather than romantic love. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Zectarash said:

Even Hannibal Lecter?

... I hope you guys won't look on me unfavarably for that. I quiante be the only one thinking it, right?

... Am I the only one that gets tempted to dish out cannibalism puns when people say this?

Just remember, the hills have eyes.  And serving up some sweet puns is never bad.  I can just gobble them up.

My cousin: So where do you think you'll get married?

Me (not in the mood to explain being aro): I don't know

My cousin: You must have some idea

Me: I do

My cousin: Where?

Me: Nowhere . . .

• Like 6
22 hours ago, bonny said:

Long before I knew about the concept of aromanticism, I wrote a "fantasy wedding plan" in which all the readings were about friendship rather than romantic love. 

How about imagining your own wedding, future life etc and realizing way later that most people factor in a partner in all that, but it hasn't even come up in your own fantasies :lol:

Person: That person is HOT(while watching a movie).

me: Of course, they're in a volcano.

Person: No, in the other way.

Me: What do you mean?

Person: Thier attractive.

Me: What do you mean?

Person: Don't you find them attractive?

Me: I don't find anyone attractive in any way.

Person: Whaaaaaat... how?

Me: How am I going to explain that?

Person: Ummm....

The conversation goes nowhere after this.

• Like 3

I was watching the live action Cinderella with my mom once, and when it got to the part where Cinderella walks into the ballroom and the prince runs to the other side of the room and the crowd parts for them to dramatically meet in the center, i started to laugh. We were in the theater, and though I was being quiet my mom got upset at me for ruining one of the most romantically charged parts of the movie. Heck, all I could think was that Cinderella was freakin Moses and how in the heck did all those people know to part for them??

• Like 10