Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

I don't know if this counts but when I was in high school all the girls I was friends with seemed to have, at some point or another, a huge crush on this guy I was friends with. Granted, he's one of the nicest people I've ever met. I think I must have forced myself to feel something for him out of the fear I was missing out. It was never really something but I was 14 and I'd never liked anyone and I thought something was wrong with me, so when people asked I properly exaggerated how I felt. In reality, he's just a nice bloke,  but obviously I wanted to appear 'normal'.

• Like 2

One time, one of my close friends sent me an article about aromanticism after telling her about my identity. I started engaging in a conversation with her about aromanticism and what the varying degrees of romanticism/sexuality mean since she was new to this whole concept. 

However, I was messaging her on my phone and I haven't added "aromantic" to my phone's dictionary. As a chemist though, I typically use the word "aromatic", so autocorrect was technically correct in switching every "aromantic" to "aromatic", but I never caught it because their spellings are too similar.

My friend saw every autocorrected word and was cracking up. She took advantage of this moment and came up with this corny joke:

Methane: "Hey, do you want to go on a date with me?"

Benzene: "Sorry, I can't. I'm aromatic."

• Like 9

I once went on 4 dates with someone, and never made physical contact with them. No hugging, no hand holding, no nothing. I don't know why he didn't ask me out again! 😆

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Maristine said:

I once went on 4 dates with someone, and never made physical contact with them. No hugging, no hand holding, no nothing. I don't know why he didn't ask me out again! 😆

4 dates?! That kind of behavior usually leads to 1-2 dates max, from my experience :P

• Like 1
On 1/8/2017 at 0:59 AM, Maristine said:

I went out on 4 dates with a guy, and we talked and got along until the last one when he asked me halfway through a movie if he could hold my hand. I told him no and after the movie got out, I explained that we should take some real time to get to know each other before we started in on the touching, which I'm no fan of. Needless to say, that was the last date we had and the last and only time I went out on any dates. About a month and half later, he got engaged to his current wife. It worked out for the best. :)

nerdperson777
1 minute ago, fuzzipueo said:

I went out on 4 dates with a guy, and we talked and got along until the last one when he asked me halfway through a movie if he could hold my hand. I told him no and after the movie got out, I explained that we should take some real time to get to know each other before we started in on the touching, which I'm no fan of. Needless to say, that was the last date we had and the last and only time I went out on any dates. About a month and half later, he got engaged to his current wife. It worked out for the best. :)

Wait, he got engaged with someone only after a month and a half of dating?

• Like 2

Coworker tells me that they've fallen in love with another coworker from a department 600 miles away. My reaction: "Why would you do this?" :D (Yeah I know, they didn't really have a say in the matter...)

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

Wait, he got engaged with someone only after a month and a half of dating?

Yeppers. I was both surprised and, in all honesty, relieved, that it happened so fast! The truly funny thing (though I was a bit freaked at the time) is, about a year later, his wife got in touch with me through FB and announced that they were poly and that I should get talk to C about dating. This is just one of those the world is weird things. LOL.

I've only been on two dates. One we were talking about quantum physics and virtual reality for 2 hours and the next Star Wars, Star Trek and Jurassic Park. That is my idea of "romance". So, I told my parents and they were like "how did it go? Did you kiss her?" "Kiss her? (dies inside). NO. We talked about quantum physics and virtual reality for 2 hours! It was great!" Mom: "Not much of a date if you didn't kiss her."

On 4/20/2014 at 0:26 AM, Zash said:

I suppose it would be an aromantic moment (though it was a rather long one) that I managed to get through the entire Mass Effect trilogy without realizing there were romantic sub plots with some characters until looking at the achievements list.

Zash. I did too lol! I had to replay the game to discover that.

• Like 6
Dodecahedron314
21 minutes ago, =NolePtr said:

I've only been on two dates. One we were talking about quantum physics and virtual reality for 2 hours and the next Star Wars, Star Trek and Jurassic Park. That is my idea of "romance". 

I don't do the dating thing, but if I had to, this sounds like pretty much the best case scenario to me to be perfectly honest. (Come to think of it, once I had a quite similar several-hour conversation with someone in high school when our whole academic team went out to a restaurant after the state competition, and for whatever reason the other people who were sitting at our table moved to a different one shortly after arriving, so our coach jokingly asked if it was a date when she was circulating around the tables seeing how everyone was doing. I did have a bit of a squish on the person, but that didn't make my glare and pointed retort any less scathing.)

We were at church the other day and a guy found a place infront of us.

Mom: "Hey! You just found yourself someone!"

Me: What??

Mom points at guy

Me: "What am i supposed to do with the guy??"

Mom:  .......

Me thinking hours later: "Ohhh she was trying to hook me up with him???" "nvm" :lol:

Seeing Valentine's displays at work and trying not to roll your eyes so hard your retinas detach and you become blind :lol::rolleyes: 

• Like 7
Mychemicalqpr

Other orientations invited?  Guess I'm OK then?  

I was a romantic late bloomer and thought for a few years that I was aromantic.  I didn't have that word, but I had that concept, and I had some of those romance-blind moments.

My first fanfiction, set in the Pokemon universe, starred a male Lucario and a female Panpour and their adventures.  I remember my QPP. or BFF at the time, asking me, perhaps a bit impatiently, if they were going to end up together.  Despite their strong friendship at the center of the story and their opposite sexes, it had never crossed my mind until she said something.  Now I see how it would appear obvious to most people that they should fall in love.  Nope, they were probably a QPR.

I had a friend a long time ago who asked for my number, and I obliviously said sure, and then we texted sometimes.  I'm sure I missed several more subtle hints before he asked me, "Do you have a BF?" I had not seen this acronym before, so I figured it was BFF without one of the Fs, because "best friend" still makes sense.  So I said yes.  Then he asked, "How long have you been together?" and that is a weird thing for him to be super concerned about, so at that point I started to think, "Ohhhh... crap." 

• Like 4

Years ago there was this kind of hit song where the singer (Mary J. Blige, the song's called "Be Without You") sang  "And I'll be waiting up until you get home, coz I can't sleep without you baby", and I was like what on earth?? Because I can't sleep properly if there is someone else next to me in bed...! 

(Though I must admit I used to feel a little bit like in that song long ago, when I was young and in my first long live-in relationship... But seems I've gotten much more aromantic since ;) )

• Like 1
On 1/8/2017 at 10:43 AM, Florenna said:

4 dates?! That kind of behavior usually leads to 1-2 dates max, from my experience :P

Well I live in Utah, where people don't kiss until the 3rd date anyway.

WoodwindWhistler
On 1/11/2017 at 6:30 PM, fuzzipueo said:

Yeppers. I was both surprised and, in all honesty, relieved, that it happened so fast! The truly funny thing (though I was a bit freaked at the time) is, about a year later, his wife got in touch with me through FB and announced that they were poly and that I should get talk to C about dating. This is just one of those the world is weird things. LOL.

According to science . . . the crush phase can last as long as two years, so it's a really bad idea to get married before you've had a chance to see if you're actually compatible with each other post-infatuation. 

As for her offer, I think that would actually be a rather comfortable place for an ace or aro to be, honestly- the person has their main desires (romo or sexual) fulfilled so there's not a bunch of pressure on you to provide them . . . 

48 minutes ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

According to science . . . the crush phase can last as long as two years, so it's a really bad idea to get married before you've had a chance to see if you're actually compatible with each other post-infatuation. 

As for her offer, I think that would actually be a rather comfortable place for an ace or aro to be, honestly- the person has their main desires (romo or sexual) fulfilled so there's not a bunch of pressure on you to provide them . . . 

Well, I don't know what their marriage is like (they live in another state), but they're still married and have a little girl (all of this took place around the end of 1999, beginning of 2000).

As for the offer, I told her the truth as I felt at the time - "thank you, but I don't go on dates with people who are already in relationships." Also, I truly was not interested.

I have a lot of female friends / coworkers / human beings I get along with. Grandma was confuzzled about some of the names flying around. 

"Where do you pick them all up?" (:D)

"Don't you lose track sometimes?" (:D:D)

"Don't you want one yourself sometime..." ( -.- )

...but adds "It's probably not worth it anyway..." (before asking if I want one myself sometimes... grandma logic :D)

• Like 3
Forest Spirit
1 minute ago, Homer S. said:

I have a lot of female friends / coworkers / human beings I get along with. Gramdma was confuzzled about some of the names flying around. 

"Where do you pick them all up?" (:D)

"Don't you lose track sometimes?" (:D:D)

"Don't you want one yourself sometime..." ( -.- )

...but adds "It's probably not worth it anyway..." (before asking if I want one myself sometimes... grandma logic :D)

Your granny sounds really lovely :D

Just now, Quasar.w said:

Your granny sounds really lovely :D

Oh she is :)  And she's in top shape despite being 85! Grandma rocks.

• Like 2

I was scrolling through my Facebook and one of the posts said "Love isn't obliging."  and I read "Love isn't mandatory." (in English may not sound similar, but in Portuguese it's very similar.).

I started laughing very much. :D 

• Like 5
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

My incredible aromantic moment was....

Realising that I am gray aromantic, but more aromantic then anything else.

Yay I guess :mellow:

So technically I am cakeromantic

signature-cakes-cakebatterconfetti.jpg

• Like 2

When you're seeing your partner again after more than a year and you're cuddling on the last day, and you're forcing yourself to be actively involved just so he doesn't notice you'd rather be doing something else. Like, can I just hold you and not move and let my brain analyze characters or contemplate story ideas or something?

• Like 3
Arvid of Rivendell

Incredible aromantic moment: when you're in geometry class and you're asked to find the measure of angle QPR.

• Like 10
nerdperson777
21 minutes ago, Jay of Rivendell said:

Incredible aromantic moment: when you're in geometry class and you're asked to find the measure of angle QPR.

I chuckled inside when we had a function called f(2m).

• Like 6

I have a vivid memory from 8th grade during PE while I was sitting in the bleachers with my friend listening to music (he's also aromantic) and this girl comes up to me and just starts staring, so I of course did the logical thing and started staring back until she started getting red and then looked away and I was like "I beat everybody at staring contests because I have contact lenses!" and she just gave me this really weird look and went away. My friend and I spent a while trying to figure that one out (and to this day with a better knowledge of how people flirt I really don't know what she was trying to achieve). 

• Like 7

So this December, we went to the birthday of 3 uncles and one of them passed all day saying I needed to find a boyfriend until the next time we would see again. If I didn't have one by then, he would go with me to my university and would find me one.

So I said: "Bye uncle, it was a pleasure meeting you, but sadly this is our last time seeing each other. I don't want a boyfriend or marry in 2020, so we can't see each other ever again."

He got shocked and I mentally laughed so much!

• Like 7
EmotionalAndroid

I have a particular theme in my daydreams that always appears and always makes me so incredibly happy and content. I'd imagine a lot of people's happy daydreams like this involve them with their dream romantic partner spending time together. For me, my recurring happy theme is me being a male in the 1930's and being alone in my apartment with some pleasant jazz playing. That's it. Simple bliss. In fact, most of my happy daydreams involve me being alone.

As a total side note: Oh my GOSH, @Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet, that cake you posted looks so incredible. :o I want some now.

• Like 5
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
1 minute ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

I have a particular theme in my daydreams that always appears and always makes me so incredibly happy and content. I'd imagine a lot of people's happy daydreams like this involve them with their dream romantic partner spending time together. For me, my recurring happy theme is me being a male in the 1930's and being alone in my apartment with some pleasant jazz playing. That's it. Simple bliss. In fact, most of my happy daydreams involve me being alone.

As a total side note: Oh my GOSH, @Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet, that cake you posted looks so incredible. :o I want some now.

*Gives you some cake* :)

• Like 2