Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

(unsure if i can post this here, but here we go)

I'm often a little jealous of the "Incredible Asexual Moments" thread and post some of my #aromoments there, but i don't think of it as a proper place to do it. So i think it would be nice to share our awkward aro (or other romantic orientations) moments here. xD

- Playing Rune Factory / Harvest moon and then making your most confused face whenever people ask "who you paired with in the game?". It's not necessary, why bother? I was too busy upgrading the farm/tools.

- Being somewhat angry whenever the teacher use you as an example of some romantic endeavor, since you know that it's impossible to happen in the first place! (Actually i even stopped them from doing it sometimes, funny stuff xD)

- "Ah that person really need a girlfriend, he is like that because he doesn't have one"
me: "Why that should make any difference?"
other: "... what are you talking about, of course it does!"

and so on xD

Mods, please, feel free to move/close the topic if it's inappropriate.

• Like 21

Not an aro moment but I thought it was funny. Back when I was taking A&P 2, my study group consisted of a married woman a year or two older than me and a 19 year old guy who was very awkward and looked like the butler from Rocky Horror Picture Show. During one study session when it was just me and the guy, he asks me if I'm dating anyone, and I explain to him about being an aro ace. Later on I find out that he's relayed this to the other study member and she asks me privately, "Are you actually an aromantic asexual or do you just not want to date him because I can understand that."

I actually laughed a lot at this. XD

• Like 14
AnomalyEternal

This one time, a boy a year older than me asked me out:

Boy: So, I was wondering... *silence*

Me: Yes???

Boy: Would you go out with me?

Me: Go... Out? (*thinking* but we are outside o.O)

Boy: *waits*

Me: *Gets what he means* You mean like, kissing? And hugging? And... Stuff?

Boy: Yes

Me: *freaks out and runs far, far away*

Yep. That's my usual response when someone tries to date me. Though thankfully it doesn't happen often.

My friends would also do the whole Who's Your Crush thing and poke and prod me endlessly trying to weedle an answer out of me if I said I didn't like anyone .-.

• Like 48

I suppose it would be an aromantic moment (though it was a rather long one) that I managed to get through the entire Mass Effect trilogy without realizing there were romantic sub plots with some characters until looking at the achievements list.

• Like 28

Wow, I just realized I actually haven't had a lot of aro moments... Like, in every game I played that had dating in it, I would always choose someone to pursue ._.

But anyway, here are the only moments I can think of right now (translated):

Boy from class: Can I have your number?

Me: Yeah, sure man.

Boy: Is it really okay?

Me: Yeah. *Proceeds to give him my number because I wasn't aware that he was actually asking if he could woo me*

One day on Facebook...

Boy: I have a crush on you! :)

Me: :/

Boy: Do you have a boyfriend?

Me: NO.

Boy: But you're so pretty! How can you not have a boyfriend?

Me: *seen zones him (forever)*

I realize this makes me sound like a monster, but I am just a simple aromantic; I did not know what to do T_T

• Like 30

I suppose it would be an aromantic moment (though it was a rather long one) that I managed to get through the entire Mass Effect trilogy without realizing there were romantic sub plots with some characters until looking at the achievements list.

Really? I managed to accidentally end up in a relationship/married in both Mass Effect and Skyrim. Accidentally because at some point characters assaulted me with their love confessions and I couldn't bring it over myself to say no... But honestly, at least in ME1 the love interest characters will ask you out eventually as long as you're nice to them. I just realised this nicely reflects how people misinterpret being friendly as romantic interest nowadays. :P

Alright, the thread's about aro moments so let's see. Not sure if this counts as one but when I was about 15/16 I wanted to write some kind of Zelda fanfic with three of my friends. We mostly just wanted our avatars to experience adventures in Hyrule. One of my friends (all girls btw) had the idea that we all could end up meeting our perfect boyfriend in the story and madly fall in love with them. They all thought it was a great idea - only I didn't understand the point of this and thought it was unnecessary. So they all went on and created (several, I might add) boyfriend characters their avatars fell for while mine stayed single and uninterested.

• Like 14

Really? I managed to accidentally end up in a relationship/married in both Mass Effect and Skyrim. Accidentally because at some point characters assaulted me with their love confessions and I couldn't bring it over myself to say no... But honestly, at least in ME1 the love interest characters will ask you out eventually as long as you're nice to them. I just realised this nicely reflects how people misinterpret being friendly as romantic interest nowadays. :P

I was playing renegade, so I was being an ass to everyone. And sorta nuked Ashley the first time through.

• Like 4

Not an aro moment but I thought it was funny. Back when I was taking A&P 2, my study group consisted of a married woman a year or two older than me and a 19 year old guy who was very awkward and looked like the butler from Rocky Horror Picture Show. During one study session when it was just me and the guy, he asks me if I'm dating anyone, and I explain to him about being an aro ace. Later on I find out that he's relayed this to the other study member and she asks me privately, "Are you actually an aromantic asexual or do you just not want to date him because I can understand that."

LOL .... I find this hilarious because recently I had to tell a girl that I was not interested in her romantically, and I considered telling her it is because I am an Aro ace, but then I decided to avoid saying that and use another more conventional reason because she might not have believed that I am asexual and may have thought I was making it up.

• Like 13
Stormharrier

But honestly, at least in ME1 the love interest characters will ask you out eventually as long as you're nice to them. I just realised this nicely reflects how people misinterpret being friendly as romantic interest nowadays. :P

Don't they just! I dunno if playing a male is the same, but I had a female Shepard and there didn't seem to be a way to not flirt with Kaiden, short of telling him to stick his head out of an airlock.

I ended up sacrificing him just to make it stop.

And in ME3 I invited one of the other characters back to my room to play chess, and... well, one conversation option led to another, and before I knew what was happening she'd decided to take a shower and the game asked me if I wanted to join her. How did that happen??

But anyway, aro moments... It wasn't until after I'd started going out with my first (and only) boyfriend, at the age of nineteen, that it occurred to me that liking someone as a friend and fancying them were two different things.

It also took me til I was about twenty four before it occurred to me that my brother might want to go out with girls because he's attracted to them rather than because he's giving in to peer pressure.

• Like 6
TheKindredSoul

Finally! We aromantics have our own "Incredible" Moments thread! Well, my moments are not all that amusing but....here goes! This was in middle school:

Friend: "I like you more than a friend."

Me: "Uh, best friend?"
Friend: "No...not that...."

Me: "Huh, what?" :blink:

I was eleven years old! I did not understand all that, and I still do not! This exchange was in high school (Freshman year):

Friend (girl): **while watching movie* "This guy is SO HOT!"

Me: "Uh....what does hot mean?"

Friend: "Well, 'hot' is when you find someone attractive".

Me: "Oh, okay..." (Wonders what attractive even means)

Then this, which was much more recent (Junior year):

We were all playing truth or dare, but without the dare. Some of the questions were about dating and what we liked about the opposite sex.

I was hesitant on all of them because I could not understand dating, nor do I ever find anyone to be appealing in a romantic way.

It was incredibly awkward for me.

• Like 20

But honestly, at least in ME1 the love interest characters will ask you out eventually as long as you're nice to them. I just realised this nicely reflects how people misinterpret being friendly as romantic interest nowadays. :P

Don't they just! I dunno if playing a male is the same, but I had a female Shepard and there didn't seem to be a way to not flirt with Kaiden, short of telling him to stick his head out of an airlock.

And in ME3 I invited one of the other characters back to my room to play chess, and... well, one conversation option led to another, and before I knew what was happening she'd decided to take a shower and the game asked me if I wanted to join her. How did that happen??

Don't mention Kaidan, I always do the same thing to him as well to make him stop. ;) I also thought the game offering you to join Sam in the shower was weird but what disturbed me even more is that Kelly in ME2 will pull this ridiculous wannabe-sexy performance in your room - again just because you've been nice to her. What is up with that? :blink:

My extremely romantic brother and best friend talk about love and their futures with that every time we're together. Once, after half an hour they reached a point where the conversation stopped. All I could say was, "Can we discuss how quiet I've been the last twenty minutes?" My friend knows I'm asexual/aromantic and texted me "Nice one" when I said that (:

But yeah I always have to throw in things like "I'm actually indifferent to that" and "Do people usually feel that way?" just to be able to speak for twenty minutes.

• Like 21

One time in eighth grade, there was this boy who had a crush on me and I totally never understood that he did. I was with my friend in the library one day when he came over to me and started talking about Han Solo, who I was obsessed with at the time, and after he left my friend remarked about the crush he had on me. I tried denying it, but apparently he wasn't being friendly, but instead flirty. Every time he tried talking to me after that, I grew incredibly awkward and did weird things like jumping under desks and running and grabbing my friend, and a few months later he switched his romantic attention to my friend. She told me later that he told her he stopped liking me because I was "too hard to get." I still find the whole situation incredibly hilarious.

• Like 32
Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

OH MY GOSH I WAS GOING TO DO THIS!!! Stole my idea... *grumbles*... Just kidding, It's cool :P Great minds think alike!

I am definitely going to post here once I can think of something!

• Like 3
Usernamethe2nd

Probably not as funny as some but, I love this post and figured I could share too.

Was eating at a restaurant with my mom, and we were getting our check, when this waitress said...

Waitress: So can I get you anything else? (Smiling at me in the nicest way possible)

Me: No I'm good, thanks!

Waitress: Are you sure I can't get you anything else? Maybe some desert? (still smiling, and swaying a little bit)

Me:No I'm okay thank you though. (what a nice person!)

She leaves

Mom: You idiot, she was flirting with you.

Me: I thought she just being nice! D:

• Like 35

This one is pretty old, i was about 8~10 by then.

In my english course, my teacher proposed this little "test" where she gave some spaces with a symbol inside(point, square, rectangle, line) and ask you to draw whatever comes into your mind to complete that symbol. After we finished, she said that each symbol was related to a question that should be answered by the drawing/doodle and it was meant to help us understand our own personality better. The funny thing is that one of those got a heart symbol inside and represented your vision/concept about love.

I doodled a tiger, using the heart as it's nose. The teacher got quite surprised, and said that it might represent my loner nature, since tigers are portrayed as independent creatures. I was very pleased by this response.

Aro since kid i guess :D

• Like 41

Probably not as funny as some but, I love this post and figured I could share too.

Was eating at a restaurant with my mom, and we were getting our check, when this waitress said...

Waitress: So can I get you anything else? (Smiling at me in the nicest way possible)

Me: No I'm good, thanks!

Waitress: Are you sure I can't get you anything else? Maybe some desert? (still smiling, and swaying a little bit)

Me:No I'm okay thank you though. (what a nice person!)

She leaves

Mom: You idiot, she was flirting with you.

Me: I thought she just being nice! D:

You do get some stunned silence if you answer that question with, "I know." I've also gotten a phone number on my check when I paid once too.

• Like 11

In middle school there was some game where one boy would tell a girl that his friend (another boy) liked her to make the other two flustered. I was so indifferent to romantic things that I would shrug and walk away.

My other kind of aro moment I remember was before I grew indifferent to those things I was afraid of them. In second grade I found out a boy liked me just before I was going to his birthday party. It scared me so much I made my dad pretend I was sick so I wouldn't have to go.

• Like 10
Maelstrom_17

The mod blesses and keeps this thread.

As I am not often around or extensively conversing with romantics, I don't have many aro- moments.

The look on people's faces when I affirm, with a perfectly straight face, that "I will never have a romantic partner" is priceless; it's almost as if they have witnessed some sort of tragedy on the level of a puppy massacre. I cannot fathom what is so bad in their eyes about simply not feeling romantic attraction!

Once again, it's societal norms of the majority of people. Most people simply do not think enough about or understand enough about other ways of life to be accepting of someone else's way of life.

• Like 5

My Mother and Oma love watching Schnulzen (sappy romance movies) and every time the two main characters kiss all I can say is, "but...but they just met!" :o

• Like 26
SunlightOnTheGarden

Not strictly aromantic... But I was once getting to be quite good friends with someone, and all was going swimmingly, except that they then decided they'd quite like to date me. They were quite a religious girl, though, and so believed strongly in traditional values. Therefore, obviously, they couldn't tell me they liked me or anything. Cue on of the most awkward half hours of my life, where they were clearly expecting me to ask them out, and I was merrily chatting on regardless, wandering what the long pauses and suggestive looks were for. I did eventually realise, but I did later wander how long she'd have been happy to sit there waiting before she realised I really wasn't interested in her in that way!

• Like 8
Sockstealingnome

My Mother and Oma love watching Schnulzen (sappy romance movies) and every time the two main characters kiss all I can say is, "but...but they just met!" :o

Same goes for romantic novels. They fall in love after having known each other for a couple weeks.

• Like 12
Stormharrier

After I came out as ace to one of my male friends he decided that meant we could go girl watching together or something (though to be fair to him I hadn't settled on aro at that point), but you can probably guess how that went.

Him: Hey, check out that girl over there.

Me: Which one?

Him: The one over there with the nice legs.

Me: ...They've all got legs.

Him: That one over there *points*

Me: Oh her. ...What about her?

Him: *facepalm*

• Like 41

We're reading The Great Gatsby right now in my English class. My teacher keeps telling up to put ourselves in Gatsby's or Daisy's spot and keeps saying things like, "I'm sure we've all had a crush before." Needless to say, this Gatsby unit has been extremely hard for me to understand.

• Like 33