The International Asexuality conference, 28 June 2014 at Ryerson Uni, Toronto

I'm delighted to finally be able to announce the International Asexuality conference on 28 June 2014 at Ryerson University. Our conference is a now a WorldPride affiliate event, and details can be found on their website.

You can now register for the conference here!

WHERE?
It will take place in the heart of Downtown Toronto, at the Rogers Communications centre, which is part of Ryerson university.

WHEN?
The conference is a one day event on 28 June, and registration will open at 9am. We expect the first talks and panels to start at about 10am, and the conference will close at 7pm, after which we will hopefully all go for a meal!

HOW MUCH?
It is entirely free!

WHO IS INVITED?
The conference is open to all groups: asexuals, gray-As, demisexuals and our friends and allies - as well as interested members of the public and press!

WHAT IS HAPPENING?
This one day conference will include:
- talks by leading asexual activists and educators such as David Jay
- panel discussions
- participant led workshops
- (possible) a screening of the (A)sexual movie if there's demand.

Further we will be holding our very first full press conference with questions answered by leading asexual activists and by community members in the audience. Participants will also have the chance to talk to members of the press if they wish and share their stories with a wider audience.

EDIT: The day will include a free lunch with cake! I can't believe I left that out first time!

HOW CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Please make a post here, or send an email to wp2014@asexuality.org. If you register for the conference, we will send you updates by email.

• Like 4

GAH!!! Yes how could I forget this! I'll edit in the free lunch and cake immediately! Maybe I just assumed the free lunch and cake should be taken as read! It is an asexual conference after all...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
NordicTraveller

I'm so happy this will take place in Toronto! :) since I'm from the GTA.

Thanks very much.

• 2 weeks later...
littlepersonparadox

I think I have already registered I didn't say that I would like to help out with set up, but on thinking about it I would like to help with that sort of thing. I can't lift and move charges and some tables. Just don't ask me to lift heavy boxes. Also I didn't get any e-,mails when I registered.

Unfortunately we don't have any way of sending automatic replies... We will be emailling everyone soon though. Thanks for registering!

Will there be last minute or at the door registration? If no, when is the cut off date?

There is not a cut off date to register for the conference. However, space is limited and the conference capacity is 200 so the cut off for registration will be once 200 people have registered. There should be an announcement letting people know when we only have a few spaces left for the conference.

I wish i had heard about this sooner. As I live in the UK, I probably won't be able to make the conference this year, as the flights are expensive. Is this conference a once-off event to correspond with WorldPride, or are there plans to have an international asexuality conference every year? P.s. - I am a PhD student studying asexual identity so this is all of great interest for me!

blitheslife

I just registered! Can't wait to meet lovely aces in the flesh :)

Please let me know where and when we'll meet for dinner. I am flying in at 2pm, by the time I check into hotel and all it will probably be 5pm.

Update: I changed my flight so I can arrive a day early and will be able to attend the conference now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the first of such conference?

asexualitarian

Oh, I wish I could come... unfortunately, I don't have a passport right now... and I don't think I'll be able to get one in time. Arggghh. This sucks.

Is this the first of such conference?

No! We had one at WorldPride 2012 in London; you can find the videos for it by searching online! That was then our biggest ever gathering with 120 signed up. This time round we have 217 signed up and counting! (Of course a few always drop out...)

San Francisco also has its yearly Asexual Unconference - this year's is tomorrow - and I believe there is going to be an asexual conference at EuroPride Oslo this year.

This one is expected to be by far the largest so far though.

Oh, I wish I could come... unfortunately, I don't have a passport right now... and I don't think I'll be able to get one in time. Arggghh. This sucks.

If you don't mind paying a bit I believe you can get a passport quickly; within 24hours.
Qutenkuddly

Is there a timetable for the Conference events yet?

• Like 1

the topics for the conference look really great! Unfortunately I can't come :( Are you going to record the conference and upload it on the internet for people who aren't able to come? Because I would really love to hear what people have to say in some of these panels (esp. the ace outside the English language world one...)

I can record some of it if it will help. I have a tripod, though, I don't really have a professional camera/mic set or anything. Also, only one of me and 4 rooms to cover. Or is someone filming the conference in general?

Michael's been sending out emails to recruit people to video tape the conference. I have given him which sessions I'll be attending so I guess he will see where we all need coverage.

IT would definitely help, Zash. We're relying on conference attendees to film everything. There are a number of people who've said they can help but we need more! And there is no harm at all if more than one person films the same session.

The only rule is that attendees with dark name tags should not be filmed or photographed unless they explicitly give permission. For those with light nametags, they can be filmed or photographed unless they explicitly ask you not to. The caucus room on the other hand should not be filmed or photographed at all without the explicit permission of everyone (regardless of their nametag).

We are also looking into the possibility of livestreaming the main room though no-one has said they can do this yet. (We have a youtube channel and we can acquire a laptop but it would require someone with tech knowledge that I don't have.)

• Like 1

I have a cable that plugs from my camcorder to an hdmi port on the laptop. If the laptop have an hdmi port. Otherwise, I haven't used Youtube functionality for live stream.

littlepersonparadox

I'm so excited, yea I have a laptop with HDMI support even if its 6 years old I've managed to hook it up to Tv's ect. Using a HDMI port so if the laptop you guys have doesn't have one PM me f you want it and can orbit use live star,ing with Chewy. I'm still sorting out transportation plans.

Is there still space to register? I'm thinking that I would like to come, but it's kind of soon before the event. :$

Thanks Michael for clarifying that there's a plan to film (parts of) the conference. And everyone offering to help making sure those of us who cannot attend can still see the videos: you guys are awesome! :3

• Like 1
blitheslife

Does anyone know if Ryerson has accessible parking?

EllaChinoise

I am going to the conference tomorrow. Yeah!

Is it okay to register a little bit late? I wouldn't be able to make it there until about eleven, but I really want to go! D:

Qutenkuddly

The conference was excellent! Thank you to everyone who helped make it happen! :cake: :cake: :cake:

• Like 2

Hope to see the vids soon :)

SarahQuilts

I'm so happy that I got to attend this conference (especially since I almost chickened out of going at all).

I met amazing people, but was too shy to ask about contact information (then again, no one asked me either). Feeling very grateful to have found this community.

• Like 2