Asexual role models

eched

These don't have to be ace, but in general who makes a good role model, be them real or made up?

I would have to say Sidney from the Scream series. Seriously. One thing I hear a lot on here is people not sure how they will handle relationships and a lot of people really worried about being on their own. In the first film Sydney is dating, second she is in love with a great guy, third she is on her own, but is lightly crushing on a guy, and in the fourth she's completely on her own, independent and doing very well in life. Be she with someone, or alone, she does just fine. She actually seems to work better on her own. She was also in an abusive relationship and was pressured for sex. Something sadly some aces have had to deal with. She's smart, a quick thinker, very relatable. And yes, she's a little bit of an outsider.

Anyways, what are some other characters that come to mind?

The Great WTF

Paksenarrion. On top of literally being asexual (and aromantic), she is adaptable, brave, loyal, and true to herself. Even when she is terrified and sees no way out, she keeps on going and remains faithful to her allies and to the cause she is fighting for.

Elisabeth33

I personally hold Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club as an ace role model in my heart. I'm not exactly sure if she's ace or not, but she does have some tendencies, such as not being attracted to her male peers on first sight. She is a firm believer in the idea that "gender should not define one's personality", and to me, that's really inspirational and definitely something I live by.

There are several fantasy book series by Robin Hobb which feature a character called the Fool who is Asexual and Genderfluid (and speculatively homoromatic though i don't buy it). Both the character and novels are brilliant- I highly recommend them!

The Not So Impossible Girl

Epicurus, maybe?

Yyyyeessss. Epicurus! When my English teacher told my class about Epicurus once, I just HAD to find out about him. I discovered him before I found out I was asexual and that discovery played a big role in me finding out who I was. Can't believe that I owe a great deal of my happiness today to a guy that lived over 2000 years ago!

NobodyisHere

Edward Gorey. He is one of my favorite illustrators and a great artistic influence for me.

“I’m neither one thing nor the other particularly. I am fortunate in that I am apparently reasonably undersexed or something … I’ve never said that I was gay and I’ve never said that I wasn’t … what I’m trying to say is that I am a person before I am anything else …”

Edward Gorey agreed in an interview that the “sexlessness” of his works was a product of his asexuality.

Source: http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/43773037849/the-eccentric-life-and-illustrations-of-edward-gorey

I had to look up Epicurus on Wikipedia and found this:

"Epicurus never married and had no known children. He was mostly likely a vegetarian."

He sounds like a perfect role model for me!

John Wayne Cleaver from I Am Not A Serial Killer (and it's two sequels), even though he is literally a psychopath he does what he can to help people and keep them safe from the demons and himself, like making rules for himself to follow, but breaking those rules when he has to so they will be safe. He tries to have relationships to at least appear to have a sense of normalcy. It's just so nice how someone who's so different from everyone else still tries to keep them safe and most people seem to like him. And he helps his aunt and mother with their mortuary work, which is very interesting.

A role model.....I guess Jennifer Lawrence is my role model right now, even though she probably isn't asexual.

Isaac Newton was a scientist who opened up the the world to us. He was also totally disinterested in sex, and died a virgin.

goku_zps2a2baac2.jpg

Do I really have to explain?

Princessstabity

We'll never know if she was asexual but I like believing Joan of Arc was, managed to lead France to victory while keeping her values and didn't take shit from anyone

my role model is professor Layton the from the games with the same name is one of my biggest role models an intelligent calm level headed person who is a true gentleman what more could I want :lol:

Semantic Drift

There are several fantasy book series by Robin Hobb which feature a character called the Fool who is Asexual and Genderfluid (and speculatively homoromatic though i don't buy it). Both the character and novels are brilliant- I highly recommend them!

Awesome to see another Robin Hobb fan (though I don't read the Fool as asexual).

For a role model, I would pick Delenn from Babylon 5 (since I've been rewatching it recently), though she's not asexual. She has great integrity and stays on a very difficult path that she absolutely believes is right, even though she faces alienation and derision from her own people, whom she still cares about deeply. She's made some terrible and extremely destructive mistakes, but still works hard to fix things in their aftermath and do what she thinks is right.

AWhiteGyrfalcon

For me Robin Hobb's Fool who is asexual and genderfluid, My own cursed werewolf character Blaine, who is gay aromantic ACE.

Anne McCaffrey'S white dragon Ruth who is asexual.

Merecedes Lackey's Tarma who is an asexual warrioress.

Ive alwayz respected Ian Mckellan, Operah, Nelson Mandela and Ellen as strong role models. Elizabeth the 1St and Jane Austan too

Archived