Do you play video games?

Pikanyaa

Video Games!  

1. 1. How often do you play video/electronic games?

• Almost never
    • Once or twice a month
    • Once or twice a week
    • Nearly every day
  2. 2. What kind of games do you play most?

• Home console (Playstation, XBOX, Wii, etc.)
    • Portable console (PS Vita, DS, etc.)
    • Portable device (smartphone app, standalone devices, etc)
    • Simple computer/online (FB Games, Solitaire, Popcap, etc.)
    • Complex computer/online (MMORPGs, games also available on home consoles, etc.)
    • Arcade
    • Other
    • I don't play video games.
  3. 3. What's your favorite genre?

• Puzzle
    • Action/Adventure
    • Strategy
    • Combat- First-person shooter
    • Combat- non-shooter
    • Worldbuilding/Sandbox
    • Casual RPG
    • Other/Don't have one
    • I don't play video games.
    • Racing/sports

This poll is closed to new votes

(I'm getting addicted to this forum section. Halp...)

Another straightforward poll!

I have a 3DSXL and I'm addicted to Pokemon, so I generally play my Pokemon games a few times a week. Sometimes if I'm procrastinating on homework, I'll hop onto a simple computer game too. I play home console games when I can, though that's only during school breaks, and I used to play MMOs in high school before my studies started eating up all my time.

(Edit- Dangit, accidentally voted once or twice a month instead of once or twice a week... is there any way to change your answer?)

I play need for speed the run everyday virtually and far cry3 call of duty all online so u can chat to people at the same time

I play need for speed the run everyday virtually and far cry3 call of duty all online so u can chat to people at the same time

Ah, I forgot about racing and sport games! *adds that to question #3 options*

I play mainly on handhelds since I'm fairly casual. Everyday I play acnl and play Persona 3 every week or so. I don't have a ton of games yet so those are the main two I play along with various simple online games and apps.

I don't play as much as I used to, but I still play almost everyday. The most recent games I've played are Pokemon Crystal (through an emulator on my touch & type Nokia), Minecraft (PC) and Persona 3 Portable (emulator on PC). As for my favorite genre, I had to vote "Other" because I really can't choose! >.<

KanaraKazen

I love to play games, but do not know enough or play enough to be called a gamer.

On consoles, I use to play the Halo games, action/ fighting games (Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom), and racing games.

PC, I like to play the classic games that come with the computer as well as games such as League of Legends. I want to get into Dota 2 and Age of Empires 2. I use to play AoE I. SNES which has everything!

Hand held on phone includes mostly puzzes such as Cross Me, Unblock Me, Word Search, Candy Crush. I also have Sims and Plants vs. Zombies.

3ds, I have Pokemon (but I freakin' lost it!!!), Kirby, Mario, etc

I like the classic arcade games as well.

I don't play as much anymore and some I haven't played in a while. But I still enjoy games everyday. Even board games or social games.

I play a mmorg right now just to bide my time. Use to play Pokemon, but not as much any more, as they never bothered to balance the combat system. So many Pokemon who are wasted potential.

KanaraKazen

Use to play Pokemon, but not as much any more, as they never bothered to balance the combat system. So many Pokemon who are wasted potential.

Actually, in the latest Pokemon game of X and Y, you can now train your pokemon specifically so they can reach their potential. Some people are so meticulous about their pokemon training, who they battle against, stats, breeding, etc.

Use to play Pokemon, but not as much any more, as they never bothered to balance the combat system. So many Pokemon who are wasted potential.

Actually, in the latest Pokemon game of X and Y, you can now train your pokemon specifically so they can reach their potential. Some people are so meticulous about their pokemon training, who they battle against, stats, breeding, etc.

Yeah, but at the same time there are Pokemon who will never be good at battle no matter how meticulously you breed or train them. (Dunsparce, Delibird, Pachirisu, the list goes on and on.)

Mezzo Forte

To be honest, I spend more time nerding out about games as interactive art and the ways each individual component of a game comes together to make the whole work than I do actually playing video games.

When I am in college, I barely touch my video games because I don't feel like I have time, and I find myself throwing my everything into my music instead. When I'm forcibly away from my instruments, video games sometimes help me cope with the sense of percussion withdrawal that I get, especially if my social life is somewhat quiet. I sometimes go months without playing, and then find myself on gigantic gaming binges over breaks, assuming that I game a game that I distinctly want to play.

I play just about any genre out there, though I don't tend to get into competitive multiplayer type games (I tend to go solo in MMOs, and when I'm not, then I'm doing collaborative kinds of things), and I very rarely like sports, racing, FPS, or TPS titles, though exceptions certainly exist. I love my super artsy interactive experience type games, my more narrative focused titles, good laid back just-for-fun kinds of romps, and any combination of the three; it just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

(To be honest, I think gaming's genre conventions are incredibly clunky, since I would assume that someone would play Journey or Braid for a completely different reason than they if they would play Mario or Sonic even though they're all platforming titles. The same thing with Fallout 3 and Call of Duty, even though they both kinda fit the FPS label one way or another, or Portal and Professor Layton despite both being puzzle titles. Also, I think adventure became the go-to label for games that aren't easy to define by our normal genre conventions. I try to call games like Monkey Island "point 'n click adventures", but then I remember that the genre predates the computer mouse, but calling Monkey Island an "Adventure" title lumps it in the same category as Legend of Zelda, Uncharted, and even Shadow of the Colossus. But I guess this rant is only tangentially relevant to the topic at hand. I guess you could say that I can enjoy just about any genre if a game has something that makes it enticing to me.)

I like platforms (especially puzzle platform), RPG, and strategy.

I mostly play on my 3DS (Pokemon is the game I play the most, and always have played the most throughout my life), but I enjoy playing some games on the XBox360/Playstation, older consoles like N64 or SNES (mostly platform), and I like playing strategy on my computer.

I own a fair deal of consoles, handhelds, and games for pc. I play pretty much anything that isn't realistic simulation type game or arcade - as long as I enjoy the game I don't care what the genre is. I'm happy there are other video game enthusiasts on AVEN. :)

Waist of Thyme

I have a hard time answering the first question because there aren't any time patterns for me. I just play when I want to play, or when I get a new game I play several hours a day until I beat it and do whatever sidequest and post game stuff I want to do.

What kind of games do you play most?

All of my game systems are Nintendo (I have GBC, GBA, Gamecube, Wii, DS, and 3DS; and I used to play with my sister's Nintendo 64 sometimes). I also play 2 or 3 app games and online games which range from ones on computer game sites like Armor Games to RPG maker horror games.

What's your favorite genre?

RPG.

I've been digging back through my archive of games to really test the idea that old games are still good. (Hint they are)

Digging my way through the Persona Series now when I'm out on the road, onto the 3rd main game and every time I think its getting dull it throws a curve ball in, whats worse is I can't talk about the game because if I mention even one curveball, I'll ruin the moment it creates, but easily one of the silliest barmiest games I've played, and I love silly barmy games.

Pc Wise I'm between Red Faction and Prototype 2, Red Faction is throwing stealth missions in, Prototype is just being... well... chaos.

I play just about any genre out there, though I don't tend to get into competitive multiplayer type games (I tend to go solo in MMOs, and when I'm not, then I'm doing collaborative kinds of things), and I very rarely like sports, racing, FPS, or TPS titles, though exceptions certainly exist. I love my super artsy interactive experience type games, my more narrative focused titles, good laid back just-for-fun kinds of romps, and any combination of the three; it just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Try tracking down Dust: An Elysian Tail, Its a bit of a gamey game, but its got a unique (and very impressive) art style, a narrative focus, although its a touch easy.

[Edit] I realise I didn't actually put down my vote results!

I'm mostly a PC gamer with the Vita for portable gaming, While I play a wide variety of Genres, I feel Racers suit me the best, Although I'm a massive fan of side scrolling/Top down shooters, both of which if you give me a good one I'll play for hours on end, every other genre (unless its a very high class game) I'll drop after a couple of hours play and go back to later.

littleheartsofjoy

Video games, no, electronic games, here and there I do.

I like simple computer/online games and probably play them once or twice a month. Some weeks, I might play more than that but I'm more likely to do the once or twice a month deal. For me, I love dress up doll games (which is the origin of my avatar, btw) and I play Microsoft Solitaire Collection which comes with Windows 8. I do either or when the mood strikes me to do so.

I don't have a favorite genre, because I feel like the games I play are not "real" games xd

Strategy is probably my favourite genre, but I play builder games and sports games fairly often too. Don't play as much as I used to though.

I play a mmorg right now just to bide my time. Use to play Pokemon, but not as much any more, as they never bothered to balance the combat system. So many Pokemon who are wasted potential.

Agree that it sucks (although likely for different reasons than you). I did competitve battling pretty seriously in Gen IV and to a lesser extent Gen III and really liked it, but basically just quit because it of how much it sucks in Gen V and Gen VI. There's just too many stupidly powerful pokemon which combined with stupidly powerful attacks can two-hit KO pretty much every pokemon in the game.

Strategy is probably my favourite genre, but I play builder games and sports games fairly often too. Don't play as much as I used to though.

Agree that it sucks (although likely for different reasons than you). I did competitve battling pretty seriously in Gen IV and to a lesser extent Gen III and really liked it, but basically just quit because it of how much it sucks in Gen V and Gen VI. There's just too many stupidly powerful pokemon which combined with stupidly powerful attacks can two-hit KO pretty much every pokemon in the game.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, especially with the addition of OP-as-heck mega evolutions. Makes walling pretty hard to do. It doesn't bother me too much though since I only battle competitively with friends.

Ardent Guild Wars 2 player and proud elementalist here. Home server- Tarnished Coast; account name- Falunel.7645; PvE soloing shenanigans person and now skin collector, for those who care. I used to play a lot of console RPGs/adventure games (Tales of series, Zelda, Persona4), but now that I'm away from home, all I've got is my computer.

And since the topic's up, I'm regaining my old love for Pokemon (Gen III being the last gen I played, and my undisputed favorite), but I haven't been able to actually play--X and Y look cool, but not enough to justify buying a 3DS just for them, and my Crystal/Sapphire/Emerald copies are lost to time. If they ever remake RSE, I'll buy it in an instant. Until then, I'll just be following Twitch Plays, attempting to memorize Smogon, laughing at the 4kids dub voices, and doodling the Hoenn champions in my spare time.

Janus the Fox

Oh, I've played games almost every day. Played almost all genres and almost all console types with the exception for arcade machines in the last 20 years :huh:

I could detail a favorite game between genres though... as I don't have a specific favorite.

Puzzle - Lumines and Tetris

Action/Adventure - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Strategy - Civilization 4

Combat FPS - Perfect Dark

Fighting - Soul Caliber 2 and Smash Brothers

Simulation - SimCity 4

Platformer - Ratchet & Clank Series

Sandbox - LittleBigPlanet Series

Role Playing Game - Final Fantasy 10

Racing - Gran Tursimo 4

MMO - um... Second Life if that counts...

Sport Game - SSX Tricky

I play fighting games the least and not really sure what I play most of...

The games I've been playing most lately have been Ingress (an augmented-reality mobile phone game), and Binding of Isaac (PC)

Mezzo Forte

Try tracking down Dust: An Elysian Tail, Its a bit of a gamey game, but its got a unique (and very impressive) art style, a narrative focus, although its a touch easy.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm surprised that it flew under my radar, since I did recognize the name and I enjoy the indie scene quite a bit. I'll definitely have to give Dust a shot!

Oh and I see that you mentioned the Persona series! I only played 3 and 4, but they are some wild rides! I really have a soft spot for Atlus thanks to their Shin Megami Tensei games and Persona takes the cake for me. It's definitely best to jump into Persona games somewhat blind, and it's definitely best to avoid spoilers! I will say though that if you're into Jungian psychology, then you'll appreciate Persona 4 on another level. (Oh, and if mythological parallels are your thing, you might appreciate the ways in which Persona 3 and 4's starting personas' myths line up despite coming from completely different corners of the world, but for me, the tangential learning concerning countless myths and religious figures featured in the SMT series is part of how I enjoy the games, and it even enriched my experience with completely unrelated games like Okami. I guess I'm rambling now though.)

I love Pokémon and hate all other games :P So I voted "no".

Pokémon goes beyond games for me, so I don't consider myself a fan of the Pokémon games as much as a fan of the brand in general, and it's the only exception. I tried a LOT of games, from the good old classics to the much more modern ones... they all managed to bore me within 15 minutes.

(Edit- Dangit, accidentally voted once or twice a month instead of once or twice a week... is there any way to change your answer?)

Fixed it. :)

1.- Almost never.

2.- Wii and PS3.

3. Other/ don't have one.

Sometimes I can go for months without playing. Sometimes I can play two or three times in a week and then not touch a console for six months. I have a Wii and PS3, but I only have COD 4 and Wii sports. So there's not much variety. If you had asked me similar questions a decade ago, then my answers would have been far, far different. Old school platformers, even as recent as Mario 64, were always my favourites. But when I pick up a game today, I have to wait 30 minutes to get through an intro., have enough time to make a cuppa after every level (damned cut away sequences) and feel as though I am spending more time talking to an on screen character, than I do talking to human beings :wacko:

Now, where's my binatone?

*DexM slopes off in to the shadow's, to be old :P*

This has always been possible, but was simply a more hidden feature than it is in X and Y. Every Pokemon you beat in the game has a certain amount of Effort Points that it gives any Pokemon that helped to beat it, so a Charizard might give 2 or 3 Special Attack effort points because Charizard is strong in Special Attack. Every 4 Effort Points a Pokemon gets is supposed to raise it 1 actual stat point at level 100, or .5 of an actual stat point at lv. 50. By fighting the right enemies over and over, you can maximize how many points a Pokemon gets in a certain stat, like HP. There is a cap though. A Pokemon can only get around 510 effort points total, which means only around 128 extra stat points that has to be divided between at least two stat areas. Many Pokemon this doesn't matter at all with though, as they will never do well in competitions, like Magcargo. It is 4x weak to water and ground attacks, which are both quite common in the game, especially the move Earthquake. It also has horrible stats, and it's moves don't save it.

Personally, my favorite type in Pokemon is gimped, and that annoys me. My favorite type is Ice, and it has no immunities and only one resistance- Ice. This means it can't switch in to an attack without taking decent damage. It is also weak to stealth rock, which helps to cripple it even further. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Steel types are still ridiculously overpowered. They are resistant or immune to 11 of the 18 types, roughly 2/3's of the Pokemon attacks out there. No Pokemon type should have that kind of capability. This is part of what I am talking about when I say that Game Freak doesn't know how to make a balanced combat system.

Oops, I very nearly fibbed there! :blush: I was about to vote I don't play video games, until I read the choices and realised that actually I have a Wii and I play my Nintendo DS every day.

FFXIVMithra

I play Final Fantasy 14 even more obsessively now that I played 11. Online mmorpgs are the one thing that really keep me entertained and happy. On my day off I'll pull 10-14 hour shifts, longer if I wake up earlier, haha.

I play a lot of video games. I used to play over 60 hours a week, and that's when I worked. (2 hours of sleep a day or so) Now I just do a couple hours a day, but I'll play everything from Facebook games to MMORPGs. The ones I've been playing most currently are Rift, Dragon Age 2, Hearthstone, and Dead Space. Favorite genre is definitely RPG.

Archived