Anyone on here from Iceland? Or from Scandinavia?

Maelstrom_17

Maelstrom_17

I previously asked this question on chat here on AVEN.. and I got some funny responses, such as "Is the Internet different in Iceland?" Yeah, serious blond moment there. Only thing different about it the .is suffix and faster internet speeds than in the US.. That being said, Icelandic is my third language and I'm somewhat fluent at it and would like someone to practice with.. I still have a lot to learn (English is my first language)

Also, if there's anyone from the Faroese Islands or Norway.. that's be cool too (especially Norwegians that know Nynorsk.. since I'd like to compare words between Icelandic and Nynorsk) and I'd also like to compare words between Faroese and Icelandic as well...

Purrtrick Sturr

I am Norwegian, but my Nynorsk is not top notch, but I would gladly help

Maelstrom_17

Yeah I guess first of all I could start out with basic words.. like what would cake and bread be? I know those are different between Icelandic and Faroese.. not sure about Nynorsk even though plenty of words are similar and I can usually understand the signs on stuff in places in Norway where Nynorsk is commonplace..

Bread = braud (i don't have the right diacritics for the "d" at the end of this word)

Cake= kaka

Guest member25959

Yeah I guess first of all I could start out with basic words.. like what would cake and bread be? I know those are different between Icelandic and Faroese.. not sure about Nynorsk even though plenty of words are similar and I can usually understand the signs on stuff in places in Norway where Nynorsk is commonplace..

Bread = braud (i don't have the right diacritics for the "d" at the end of this word)

Cake= kaka

You mean ð/Ð? It should be Alt Gr + D on the US keyboard. My guess is that "brauð" would be "brød" in New Norwegian

I previously asked this question on chat here on AVEN.. and I got some funny responses, such as "Is the Internet different in Iceland?" Yeah, serious blond moment there. Only thing different about it the .is suffix and faster internet speeds than in the US.. That being said, Icelandic is my third language and I'm somewhat fluent at it and would like someone to practice with.. I still have a lot to learn (English is my first language)

Also, if there's anyone from the Faroese Islands or Norway.. that's be cool too (especially Norwegians that know Nynorsk.. since I'd like to compare words between Icelandic and Nynorsk) and I'd also like to compare words between Faroese and Icelandic as well...

I can help you with comparing Norwegian words to Icelandic.

Cake= kaka

And bread in norwegian would be brød, and cake would be kake. So you can see similarities between Norwegian, Icelandic and even English.

"Brød" is also derived from the norse word "brauð" i.e it is a norwegianfication (or rather norwegian/west norse infleunced by danish) of that word. As you can see it is similar as in Icelandic. Icelandic is basically "old norwegian" or west norse in modern times. Similary "kake" is also derived from the west-norse word "kaka" - again the same as in Icelandic :)

Maelstrom_17

Cake= kaka

And bread in norwegian would be brød, and cake would be kake. So you can see similarities between Norwegian, Icelandic and even English.

"Brød" is also derived from the norse word "brauð" i.e it is a norwegianfication (or rather norwegian/west norse infleunced by danish) of that word. As you can see it is similar as in Icelandic. Icelandic is basically "old norwegian" or west norse in modern times. Similary "kake" is also derived from the west-norse word "kaka" - again the same as in Icelandic :)

Yeah. Interesting that you bring up the similarities between Norwegian and English since there was an inflectional shift during the Middle Ages to cause the pronounciation of the Norwegian word "kake" to change to the way most English speakers pronounce "cake" nowadays. Same thing happened with other words in English, like the word "morgen" for "morning.

Icelandic, obviously is much better preserved than Nynorsk (since Icelanders can read most of the Sagas pretty easily) , mainly because of geographical isolation and a much greater desire to remove foreign influence from that language (mainly Danish, although many words that came from German due to Hanseatic League contacts and words that came from trade contacts with the Romans still remain.)

Isn't Nynorsk sort of an attempt to get back to the original Norwegian language after centuries of Danish rule? Steps had to be taken to remove Danish words out of the Icelandic language as well, so I was just curious about that. :)

Cake= kaka

You mean ð/Ð? It should be Alt Gr + D on the US keyboard. My guess is that "brauð" would be "brød" in New Norwegian
Thanks. Usually I like to post on an iPod or other device where it's pretty easy to find these diacritics.. the last time I used the thorn and angstrom diacritics my computer ended up acting very erratically.

Yeah. Interesting that you bring up the similarities between Norwegian and English since there was an inflectional shift during the Middle Ages to cause the pronounciation of the Norwegian word "kake" to change to the way most English speakers pronounce "cake" nowadays. Same thing happened with other words in English, like the word "morgen" for "morning. Icelandic, obviously is much better preserved than Nynorsk (since Icelanders can read most of the Sagas pretty easily) , mainly because of geographical isolation and a much greater desire to remove foreign influence from that language (mainly Danish, although many words that came from German due to Hanseatic League contacts and words that came from trade contacts with the Romans still remain.) Isn't Nynorsk sort of an attempt to get back to the original Norwegian language after centuries of Danish rule? Steps had to be taken to remove Danish words out of the Icelandic language as well, so I was just curious about that. :)

Yeah many English words are derived from Norse when Norse settled the lands, colonized it, traded or raided it. Furthermore Norman was actually more Norse than French, a latin version of Norse in a way.

And Ny-Norsk is not exactly like that. It was from the time when they wanted to create a language of their own during the national-romanticism. Ivar Aasen claimed it to be all the dialects in Norway. In truth it is only a few selected dialects in the western part of the country. Hence why only these areas have ny-norsk as official language. Bokmål was based upon Danish in the start as Riksmål but have later become a Norwegian language (and not just a Norwegian form of Danish) and transitioned into Bokmål because of that. However Ny-Norsk and Bokmål have become more and more similar. Ny-norsk also accept most of the bokmål grammar now.

However orally Norwegian is much more split. As it is no official form of Norwegian orally, and the two languages are only the written forms. So orally every Norwegian speak their own dialects with different vocabulary, syntax and grammar :)

And interesstingly enough I can also read Icelandic and Norse and understand most words and undestand the basics without having any Icelandic connections (beside from that my forefathers settled it of course, and the Norwegian Kingdom had it until the treaty of Kiel) to it and haven't learned it in any way.

Hope it hekoed, and don't hesitate to ask if you got further questions and need help for translation.

Maelstrom_17

About the grammar in Nynorsk becoming more like Bokmål, I think it's at least theoretically possible that Nynorsk grammar used to be a lot like the Icelandic sort with multiple cases (although I know that the case system was dropped quite awhile ago, as in two or three centuries ago). But as for the inflection, is Nynorsk like it is in Bokmål where inflection of verbs, nouns etc. isn't necessary to differentiate between different words ? For example, in Icelandic, "Ég er hér" means "I am here." But if I didn't use the inflection, it would say "Ég er her", which means "I am army."

You're lucky you can understand Icelandic and Norse easily. Trying to understand Bokmål is a pain for the most part, as many of the words mean different things and in some cases even turn out to be cuss words, although most Icelanders can understand it easily because they usually take it as their "foreign" language in secondary school. In general, understanding Nynorsk is much more of a breeze for me, though I don't really know why. Does it have something to do with those few selected Norwegian dialects being closer to Icelandic?

Yes, though I still feel like it all "comes around" in a sense, since nearly all Europeans were influenced by Latin in some way or another..

Archived