The T shirt design thread

It's time to discuss designing our most awesome T shirts for World Pride! ^_^

I'll propose my ideas, and the reasons behind them. As with the pamphlet (see other thread) this year I'm focusing on keeping things simple. Why? Because there will be MANY asexual people, likely many more than London 2012. And I wouldn't want to lose the chance to make people NOTICE how many asexual people there are.

London 2012's shirts had awesome slogans, I love them and I still wear them for events: one was "Caution - Flaming asexual" and the other was "Keep calm and visit asexuality.org" (allies-friendly as well, for people who don't ID as asexual).

This year the parade will possibly be bigger than London, with floats and alike as well (I don't think we'll have one, not that I know of) which weren't there in London. My fear is that a catchy but long slogan on the front would make it hard for most people to read it all and to get we're all asexual. So it's been a few weeks I've been thinking of having some simple "ASEXUAL" or similar on the front of one of the t shirts. Plus as usual one for non-aces.

These are my (badly made) sketches.

T SHIRT 1 (in 2 versions)

WORLDPRIDE1.jpg

WORLDPRIDE1b-1.jpg

T SHIRT 2

WORLDPRIDE2.jpg

I'd like for everyone to feel free to not only give feedback and suggestions, but to obviously propose their own designs and ideas :cake: The more the merrier ^_^

• Like 5

I like the design of the second version of t-shirt #1 :)

I don't wear white though XD

I prefer the flag to the triangle

((my unprofessional input))

Looks great - I especially like the "budding" idea at the back!

I thought I would give it a shot as well - this is heavily inspired by Ithaca's work.

The pictures represent 2 versions of the same t-shirt - the fonts are different, one being black and the other purple.

I thought I would keep the design simple - the front of the t-shirt features the Asexual sign and the word "Asexual", while the back of the t-shirt features the various Asexual orientations.

The design answers three basic questions:

• What are we called?
  • What is our logo?
  • What are the groups under Asexuality?

The orientations are in no specific order - I got them from the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality)

Again, I'm completely new to this - I'm not aware of previous t-shirt designs nor have I attended Pride Week. So please excuse any newbie mistakes!

Please feel free to brainstorm, add things, make suggestions and so on.

FRONT

d78172e0e9f1b41f338df124a9fdabae_500.png

BACK:

f1c876004dd06c058983c4e4eaa65a50_500.png

FRONT

2f861d5326a2731329605e8040f9907b_500.png

BACK

9d57fa510f8ea6d07c091ba0be99f99e_500.png

• Like 2

LOVE THIS <3

I forgot to mention that t shirts will most likely be purple :)

I like the romantic orientation ones too. I had thought about making something like this at first, to show the difference within our community:

J3gKP7a.jpg

where we'd manually fill whatever we want to specify with a marker on our back. We'd end up having "Asexual and homoromantic", "Asexual and trans*" "Asexual and genderqueer" etc etc which would be a way of showing diversity, but at the same time the marker thing would risk making it messy.

This is a third version by merging the first two I posted in the OP:

9H6HtAP.jpg

We would, anyway, have a second design printed for people who don't feel like wearing "ASEXUAL" on their shirt (my proposal is still in the OP).

• Like 2

Oh cool! I've never gone to this nor will I go anytime soon but I love these t-shirt ideas ^_^

However, you said the t-shirts would probably be purple instead of white? If that's the case, I think it's a much better idea but then the designs might need a few tweaks so the whole thing could actually stand out more... Can I try something? What shade of purple would it be?

I'm not an expert on designs or t-shirts but I take a graphic design class at school and I design a "stop bullying" t-shirt for an activity so I would love to help if I can.

• Like 1
the bumbling rotifer

I couldn't resist the urge to play around with pretty colours in photoshop :D

The text could be changed as required to accommodate grey-sexuals, demi-sexuals and allies.

asexual+tshirt.jpg

Edit: other colour options:

Purple:

world+pride3+copy.jpg

White:

world+pride4+copy.jpg

Black:

world+pride5+copy.jpg

• Like 22

Oh, wow. These are awesome. :cake:

*waits for all of us to wear asexy tees in the parade*

The text could be changed as required to accommodate grey-sexuals, demi-sexuals and allies.

asexual+tshirt.jpg

Purple:

world+pride3+copy.jpg

White:

world+pride4+copy.jpg

Black:

world+pride5+copy.jpg

I simply LOVE your design :o :wub:

If we do like we did in 2012 (which I think is reasonable as far as filing an order for printing goes) we'll have 2 designs: one that has the "asexual" word on it or something along those lines (we had "flaming asexual" in 2012), and one for anyone who doesn't feel like wearing "asexual" on their shirt (we had "keep calm and visit asexuality.org" in 2012).

I'd love to see another design of yours for this second t-shirt. As of now I don't think we can really make 4 or more designs (for aces, grays, demis, sexual etc) as it complicates things a lot (even just how many of each you order would be a problem and change the final cost, likely).

:cake:

• Like 1

hey guys, im not actually going to Toronto :( but i did have a few ideas so i thought id share them.. let me know what you think! its totally fine if you dont like them haha :)

so one of them was slightly inspired by Allana the lioness' design with the flag and the sideways writing, and I really like the "asexual and proud" idea, but I decided maybe it'd be better for people to write how they feel about themselves related to, or purposefully un-related to, their asexuality. that idea is kinda similar to one ithaca did i think.

I do hope that link thing worked, i've never done it before... :')

okay i dont think the link thing worked.

lets try again.

13827270624_de4c138298.jpg

13827270274_a9d3e787e3.jpg

*crosses fingers*

• Like 1

lets try again.

*crosses fingers*

I like how you developed the second t shirt :)

As for the first, I think the cake joke is fun, but it could be misinterpreted as a prudish message at a pride parade, and we should try not to reinforce that stereotype, in my opinion :) Not because of the cake, but because it says "make cake, not love" aka "don't make love", you see what I mean?

the bumbling rotifer

asexual+tshirt.jpg

Purple:

world+pride3+copy.jpg

White:

world+pride4+copy.jpg

Black:

world+pride5+copy.jpg

I simply LOVE your design :o :wub:

If we do like we did in 2012 (which I think is reasonable as far as filing an order for printing goes) we'll have 2 designs: one that has the "asexual" word on it or something along those lines (we had "flaming asexual" in 2012), and one for anyone who doesn't feel like wearing "asexual" on their shirt (we had "keep calm and visit asexuality.org" in 2012).

I'd love to see another design of yours for this second t-shirt. As of now I don't think we can really make 4 or more designs (for aces, grays, demis, sexual etc) as it complicates things a lot (even just how many of each you order would be a problem and change the final cost, likely).

:cake:

Aw, thanks ithaca :D

I do love messing around in photoshop. There are so many wonderful ways in which you can distort photographs of cats... ^_^

Building on the first design, how about something along these lines?

Flag from the first design:

world+pride6.jpg

Column of splats:

world+pride7+copy.jpg

As above, but with white text:

world+pride8+copy.jpg

If anyone wants to build upon any of these ideas, please feel free to do so :)

• Like 2

I love your new idea too :)

I think the final designs should have "Toronto, World Pride 2014" included somewhere (the back?) as we did in London 2012. In the future, it'll be cool to see the collection of all pride shirts :p

My suggestions with the new design: use the second one (columns of splat) but change the text color. If the flag starts from black and ends with purple, then maybe the text can start with purple and end with black? Like flag color backwards? What do you think? :)

• Like 1

I really like your designs alanna. The middle one is my favourite :)

• Like 1
the bumbling rotifer

I think the final designs should have "Toronto, World Pride 2014" included somewhere (the back?) as we did in London 2012. In the future, it'll be cool to see the collection of all pride shirts :P

My suggestions with the new design: use the second one (columns of splat) but change the text color. If the flag starts from black and ends with purple, then maybe the text can start with purple and end with black? Like flag color backwards? What do you think? :)

How about this?

world+pride9+copy.jpg

(Edit: I feel like an optician. Which is clearer, the grey or the white? ...and how about now? ...and now? :P)

• Like 7

Eh, I know this is probably too involved for event t-shirt, but it's something I've been playing with lately, decided to tweak it into alternative design option.

dr89zt.jpg

125kxvp.jpg

• Like 8

lets try again.

*crosses fingers*

I like how you developed the second t shirt :)

As for the first, I think the cake joke is fun, but it could be misinterpreted as a prudish message at a pride parade, and we should try not to reinforce that stereotype, in my opinion :) Not because of the cake, but because it says "make cake, not love" aka "don't make love", you see what I mean?

aw thank you :) but yeah i get what you mean about the pun. obviously that was the idea of it but i can see how it could be interpreted negatively.

i love all the other designs too!

Just a heads up for t-shirt design... It can get really hot in summer in Toronto (35C+ 100F+ sometimes), so, black and gray shirts may not be a good idea, or we may get flaming asexual as they hit their flash point.

It's not always that hot, but there have been precedence for it, just wanted to give a heads up.

The summers can be mild too. We get a lot of variance in the weather in Toronto... For example, Last week it was over 20C. This week we had snow. T-shirts should be fine, but, black may not be the best of ideas if we wind up in the all to common heat waves.

@Alanna the lioness ideas are awesome I really like the way they look. I love your first design with the asexual on it and I like the fact that you don't say "visit" on it. Also the flag / paint splat.....idea is really simple yet very nice and really good. I think those are my favorite

• Like 1

2 designs

gVyc73l.jpg

(the paint won't be so fuzzy in the final version if it's used, this is just a quick draft)

nQHY6ys.jpg

• Like 2
littlepersonparadox

Cool designs I'm defence toy going to have to play around with some. Ideas i have. My favourites so far are the sploches and Allana the lionesses one. Although the first two designs are really good. Land the ones by Amigdy are good. Sometimes simple is better. But I aware I might have. To get a custom tee. Made based off of the lionesses one(assuming it didn't get printed and mrs. Lioness is ok with that) hopefully I can make it to world k pride. I haven't told my mom that I'm ace yet and I want to go. Even then she might. It let me because of my physical disability. She almost did let me go to comic con this year! Sorry if this was a bit winey. I don't mean to be a downer.

Din't she didn't almost let me go to comic con. She might not let me go due to paranoia over disability.

absolutamente

I think the final designs should have "Toronto, World Pride 2014" included somewhere (the back?) as we did in London 2012. In the future, it'll be cool to see the collection of all pride shirts :P

How about this?

world+pride9+copy.jpg

(Edit: I feel like an optician. Which is clearer, the grey or the white? ...and how about now? ...and now? :P)

I love Alanna´s design!

• Like 2