Do you even read?

Captain Darkhorse

Books!  

1. 1. Do you read books?

• Yes!
    • No
    • Eh, sort of
  2. 2. How many books do you usually read in a year?

• 1-10
    • 11-25
    • 26-50
    • 51-100
    • 100+
    • I don't have a clue
    • I don't read books
  3. 3. Can you read in more than one language?

• Yes - I can both read and understand what I'm reading
    • Yes, but I don't understand what I'm reading
    • No, I don't read in another language
    • No, I don't read at all
  4. 4. Favorite genre?

• Fantasy
    • Romance
    • Young adult
    • Historical fiction
    • Autobiography/Memoir
    • Biography
    • Realistic fiction
    • Classics
    • Foreign literature ("foreign" being not your own country)
    • Informational/research/Educational
    • Sci-fi
    • Humor
    • Religious
    • Other (please explain)
    • I don't read books
    • Horror
    • Psychological thriller
    • Erotica
    • Manga/Graphic novels
  5. 5. Favorite medium of reading

• Print
    • Online (web)
    • Kindle or other e-reader
    • Other
    • I don't read books
  6. 6. Did this poll make you want to go read a book?

• Yes!
    • Eh, not really
    • Definitely not
    • I DON'T READ BOOKS

This poll is closed to new votes

Captain Darkhorse

Yeah. Poll about books. Because why not? And also, I'm curious. AVEN seems to like books.

littleheartsofjoy

Can I just say that I'm happy to see a poll about reading?!

I read books, but like only 11-25 books in a year because I'm a student and I can only read books freely during breaks. Usually summer break at that, winter break is a little short for me to be able to do that. I only read books in English, and my favorite genre is probably realistic fiction, but I also like humor, romance, and religious fiction. I only read print books, since I don't have a device that can read e-books. This poll made me wish that I could read a book for fun right now, so I chose yes for the last question.

Fire & Rain

I usually read in English and it's not my native language. I voted other in favorite genres since some of my favorites are not included such as Post-Apocalyptic, Dark Erotica, Psychological Thriller and Horror.

I enjoy reading - but have had very little time to read much as of late. Unfortunately, reading for me typically translates into sitting down with a book and doing little else for the next day or two until the book is finished, as I kind of get caught up in it. Even super long books would usually take me less than a week to finish with me reading the way I typically do. Work\Heath\Life hasn't allowed for very much of that lately, though.

As an aside....does reading and not understanding *really* count as reading? I understand that the question is targeted at foreign language reading, but still....if you don't understand it, how is it reading?

Squirrel Combat

I'm so terrible. I'm currently writing a novel and yet I am not a bookworm. I haven't read an actual novel book since high school. And even in high school I only read the books assigned to me in class. I just can't sit still and bury my nose in a book. I have too short of an attention span. My mind wanders too easily.

However, I am a heavy non-fiction reader. I read articles online or in magazines or even the encyclopedias every single day, even if for just a few minutes.

Textbooks / non-fiction only and I hate reading them.

TheKindredSoul

I love books and reading. My favorite genres are fantasy in particular, but I do not mind non-fiction. I love sci-fi, classics, educational, spiritual, mythology, poetry, biographies, and "foreign" literature. I am not normally too particular when I pick a book. It just has to have good writing and a solid plot. I do not like those books that are all fluff and no foundation. Bad writing also causes me to lose interest. I am an avid reader, and if I am not holding a book, I am normally reading science articles or stories on the internet. Psychological Horror books I can probably read...then again that might make me paranoid in the night. Romance is definitely not for me.

I can actually read in some Spanish and understand it. My brain grows tired of translating, so I prefer English.

SorryNotSorry

Me no like to read. Reading make head hurt.

Captain Darkhorse

I usually read in English and it's not my native language. I voted other in favorite genres since some of my favorites are not included such as Post-Apocalyptic, Dark Erotica, Psychological Thriller and Horror.

Fiddlesticks. I knew I forgot some genres. I'm going to include some of those too.

Reading ties with writing as my absolute favourite way to pass time by myself. Book in general are the things I adore most. So yes, I definitely read a lot. More than fair amount of people my age, I think.

Last year I read 65 books, and in 2012 I read 66.

I can't read fluently in anything else other than English, but I'd like to be able to. (I know quite a good amount of French, but not enough for the descriptiveness of a novel.)

I tend to lean towards fantasy or sci-fi, or basically anything that's fictional with some kind of supernatural/paranormal twist to it. (I really wish I liked "classics" a lot more, but no matter how I try they're just to dry for my taste and not descriptive enough.)

I don't mind reading on something like an e-reader or online, but I find it quite a bit easier to lose myself in what I'm reading when it's in print. I'm a decently tactile person.

And yes, this poll really made me feel like I need to get back to reading. I have something like two hundred books in my room and I've been neglecting them lately with help from the demands of school.

Vyanni Krace

I don't care what medium I read in. In terms of how many stories I read a year (this including fanfiction because they are stories) I read well over 100 stories a year (closer to 500 truth be told). I read far too many fanfics and articles, but I also read around 100 actual, published (whether printed or on an e-book) books a year. I'm reading less fiction this year though, because its my last year of secondary school and its approaching exam season so I've got to focus more.

Captain Darkhorse
As an aside....does reading and not understanding *really* count as reading? I understand that the question is targeted at foreign language reading, but still....if you don't understand it, how is it reading?

I included that option because I differentiated between properly reciting a set of words and understanding what they mean. Basically, it's understanding the linguistics of a language vs. understanding the meaning behind the sounds. I know I can read tons of text in Spanish and properly pronounce the words, but won't really be able to understand most of what I've read.

Vivaldi Ives

I have always loved to read! And now I'm training to be a librarian, so reading kind of goes along with that. :)

I voted for 11-25 books per year, though I'm not exactly sure. The number of books I read cover to cover is something close to that. The number would be a lot higher if I were to include books I just read part of or skim through. I haven't ever read a book in another language for fun, but I've read a few short books in French for school. I can usually understand French and Italian song lyrics pretty well, and maybe someday I'll try reading an actual novel in one of those languages.

The only genre I actively avoid is romance. When I'm busy like I am now I just read and/or skim a lot of reference/educational nonfiction books, but when I have more free time I like to read fiction or narrative nonfiction books as well. I've been hoarding library books, so I mainly read in print, but I have a tablet/ereader too and I've been downloading a lot of free books to read on that later. I also consume a lot of nonfiction text on my laptop via blogs and news sites.

In summary: I'll read pretty much anything, in any format, given the right circumstances.

SlightlyToxicXmasShrub

I love reading, but I haven't actually read a physical book for myself in a while. I'm an English major, so it's kind of tricky to find pleasure-reading time when I'm not worn out from reading for class. I do a lot of online research/curiosity based reading, however, and I've managed to find some cute, short fanfics to make up for the lack of time I have to read and get into an actual novel. All the while, my "To-Read" list just grows and grows. One day I'm just going to take up residence in a library. :lol: Which might work, as I plan on being a librarian eventually.

Currently I'm reading Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link for my Contemporary Lit. class (which has, in my professor's words, turned into a bookclub and it's great) and it is a delightful collection of short stories. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes "out there" stuff and magical/fantastic realism and is okay with inconclusive endings.

Captain Darkhorse

Do manga and graphic novels count as "reading"?

I'll put the option up there.

WhenSummersGone

I sort of read books but I have trouble finishing them. I try but I tend to get focused on something else so I forget. I like Stephen King and True Crime books. I only read in English and it's usually in print. I read information on the Internet as well.

Waist of Thyme

I love reading. I like learning about the stories, worlds, and characters that other people create. I also write myself and love to show my stories to other people. It's not even just about the plot or the world, I also like seeing the structural flow of words.

I don't keep track of how much I read a year. I don't really have a specific goal I strive to reach in a certain time frame. I just read when I find something interesting, which could be later today or a week from now.

I can only read in English. It's the only language I know fluently, verbal or written.

I read books, manga, articles, and online stories (mostly creepypasta).

I don't really have a favorite genre. I'll read anything that catches my interest. However, I tend to not be interested in romance and I mostly read fiction. Real life stories that interest me are usually articles about scientific discoveries and interesting or beautiful places.

I included that option because I differentiated between properly reciting a set of words and understanding what they mean. Basically, it's understanding the linguistics of a language vs. understanding the meaning behind the sounds. I know I can read tons of text in Spanish and properly pronounce the words, but won't really be able to understand most of what I've read.

Ok, I guess that make sense. I took 4 years of Spanish and can likewise for the most part pronounce the words written on the page. I don't really see that as *reading* though - with more than 10 years out now since I've actually *used* Spanish for reading my comprehension is far too low for me to justify it as reading.

Had you caught me Jr. Year of High School though, I had to not only read but report on Don Quijote de la Mancha en Español. *That* was reading in another language. What I can do now is just pronounce words and *maybe* catch a few words or sentences. I guess I just can't wrap my mind around how one even remotely correlates to the other.

How is it that all the nonfiction has gotten lumped as being autobiography/memoir, biography, religious, humor, or else some informational/education/blah blah?

Clearly you are not a fan of nonfiction. I just don't think that the works of, say, Oliver Sacks, ought to be lumped under ANY of those (except for his memoir).

I read a lot of fiction, but I read a lot of nonfiction too, and although quite a bit of it is memoir, the rest is not all one genre.

Most of my reading consists of comic books and non-fiction (mostly books on Eastern Philosophy). I plan on reading Game of Thrones next though.

AnomalyEternal

I read a lot of books. I don't know how many, however I put 26-50 as it's probably the most accurate approximation. I cannot read nor understand foreign languages :( Fantasy, historical fiction (especially victorian-era fiction), sci-fi, horror and psychological thriller. I also like crime/mystery and dystopian novels/books. I prefer real books made of paper and the such, but I also read a lot online.

This poll made me want to read a book but I can't at the moment .-.

Books? No, not really anymore. Most books are too boring for me compared to video games, and if it's something that's terribly long (or simply long-winded... like if the author goes on and on for paragraphs to describe a simple object and every aspect about it when a simple sentence would have sufficed), I'll lose interest. I feel the same way about TV, movies, and most other non-interactive media, unless it is something directly related to my (admittedly few) interests.

However, I do still read lots of stuff over the internet. They aren't really stories or novellas or anything like that, but things like... forum posts, Wikipedia articles, tvtropes pages, video game FAQs/walkthroughs... you get the picture.

1) Sort of

2) No clue

3) Yes; can read and understand (Italian, English, French, Spanish)

4) Sci-fi, classics, realistic fiction, other (post-apocalyptic fiction is my favourite of all, why isn't it on the list? :P)

5) Other (no preference, OR it depends on what I read)

6) Not really

Basically I read things that I find interesting. So I can go for years without reading, and then read a bunch of books in a month or so (I read 60+ in one year a few years ago).

Ah yes, reading, one of my all-time favourite leisure activities. I couldn't live without it. :D But despite my love for it I don't read regularly. Sometimes I pick up a book and just fly through the pages just to pick up the next one right after. And then I don't even touch a book for months because I somehow don't feel like it. That's why I selected 1-10 books per year, not sure how true it is though. Currently I'm in mood to read and I'm about to finish another book.

I think I can find taste in pretty much any genre as long as it's not romance, historical fiction or this wanna-be psychology crap. Fantasy, sci-fi, educational books and world literature classics would be my favourites though. I also have this rule that I read every book not originally written in my native tongue in English.

5_♦♣

I've never counted how many books I read in a year. I read sci fi, realistic fiction and non fiction.

Captain Darkhorse

How is it that all the nonfiction has gotten lumped as being autobiography/memoir, biography, religious, humor, or else some informational/education/blah blah?

Clearly you are not a fan of nonfiction. I just don't think that the works of, say, Oliver Sacks, ought to be lumped under ANY of those (except for his memoir).

I read a lot of fiction, but I read a lot of nonfiction too, and although quite a bit of it is memoir, the rest is not all one genre.

That's not true at all. Don't make assumptions - I actually happen to love nonfiction. I literally ran out of options as polls only allow you to have 20 options per question and there far more than 20 different literary genres. Fiction got a significant amount of lumping too, and since a book often does not fall cleanly into one genre there's plenty of room for overlap.

4) Sci-fi, classics, realistic fiction, other (post-apocalyptic fiction is my favourite of all, why isn't it on the list? :P)

Honestly, because I ran out of options :blush: It wouldn't let me fit any more choices on the poll

books, books, i like books.

i tend to read 26 - 50 books a year. last year, 36 i think, the previous 25 or 26 and in 2011, 50 novels + 3 plays. i don't know how i managed that :d

so far this year i have read 10 books so far.

foreign books is an interesting, essential most books i read are foreign ones :d but that is from being from a small country. so far, 8 of which were anglophonic novels, the 2 currently reading are by anglophones but in my tbr pile half are by anglophones.

i don't read in other languages because i can't.

i use print books.

it would mostly be novels with an occassional non-fiction book, usually about history or cycling.

i'd probably have read more but i am trying to write my own but i enjoy reading aswell so i keep it up :)

Archived