Visual Novel club!

Unbanned

So I've recently got back into visual novels, and was wondering if any AVENites would be interested in starting a club (of sorts) focused around them. It would be like a traditional film or literature club, except with visual novels.

Reasons why I think this could be a cool idea:

• Visual novels aren't particularly well-known outside of Japan, so it would be a good chance for newcomers to discover why visual novels are such a great medium for storytelling.
  • AVENites are often complaining that the site lacks interaction between members. This is a good chance to meet new people and possibly make some friends.
  • Discussing and reviewing visual novels on a semi-regular basis will improve our critical thinking and writing skills.

So, would anyone be interested in participating in such a club? I realise this all sounds rather vague at the moment, but I don't really want to get into specific details until there is some interest shown. I think these kind of things always work better when all members have a chance to voice their opinion about how things should operate.

EDIT: For those that are confused about what a visual novel actually is, here is the corresponding Wikipedia article. They are kind of a cross between video games and traditional novels (sort of like a "choose-your-own-adventure" book) and are unrelated to manga and comic books.

Put me down as "maybe"!

:O what if the club ended up collaborating to make one using Ren'Py or something?

I might be interested. I haven't played through a VN myself, but some of my favorite Animes series were originally VNs (Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime) and I do enjoy watching specific scenes from their VNs.

Fullmetal Activist

I'm quite a fan of the Ace Attorney games. Many of my friends have played Dangan Ronpa, so I've been meaning to check those out some time soon.

Count me in!

I will definitely join.

Yay! ^_^

Put me down as "maybe"!

I might be interested.

Maybe?

Looks like there will quite a few "maybes". What is preventing you guys from putting your names down? Do you have any particular concerns that we could address that would increase your interest in the idea?

I'm not sure what you mean by visual novel.

Like manga or comic books?

Sorry for not clarifying! I've updated the original post, but in case you don't see that this is what Wikipedia has to say about visual novels. Basically, they are a cross between video games and traditional novels where the player makes choices that determine the direction of the story. Kind of like those "choose-your-own-adventure" books that used to be big with kids.

:o what if the club ended up collaborating to make one using Ren'Py or something?

I was just thinking the other day about how I would love to compose some music for a visual novel. Maybe we could make one with an asexual protagonist? :D

Put me down as another "Maybe." I have oodles of work to get done, but I might be able to make time for it.

How many hours per week do you think you could afford to put towards such an endeavour? Five?

Well, I put "maybe" because I am not really familiar with visual novels or a reader of them. I didn't want to jump into becoming a contributor just because you might not want people that do not know much about the VNs.

Well, I put "maybe" because I am not really familiar with visual novels or a reader of them. I didn't want to jump into becoming a contributor just because you might not want people that do not know much about the VNs.

I'm happy for anyone to join, regardless of their experience. The first VN that we read will probably be something that is suitable for first-timers. I really want this to be a club that is open to everyone and flexible enough that even those with limited time can participate.

:o what if the club ended up collaborating to make one using Ren'Py or something?

I was just thinking the other day about how I would love to compose some music for a visual novel. Maybe we could make one with an asexual protagonist? :D

I was bored a few years back, and started work on a HTML5 based VN software. Never really finished it, but, I could probably dust it off if people were interested as well. Would make publishing a bit easier to reach a wider audience.

I was bored a few years back, and started work on a HTML5 based VN software. Never really finished it, but, I could probably dust it off if people were interested as well. Would make publishing a bit easier to reach a wider audience.

Sounds interesting! Maybe we should give it a bit more thought once we have the club up and running. :)

I can do whatever! Writing, art, programming. Whatever is needed to be done~

For now, I'm super busy, but whenever the club is more established I'd probably be more free!

I'd like to read more VNs :) The only one I've done so far is Katawa Shoujo, which I love, and is free, so, you know...

I don't have a hell of a lot of money either, so I might not be able to participate every once in a while. But I'm definitely interested.

And I'd like to chip in something if we get working on an AVEN VN. I'm a musician and play viola. And I've always been fascinated with character/plot work on an internal level.

So basically "yes" for me. :)

For now, I'm super busy, but whenever the club is more established I'd probably be more free!

Well I was kind of hoping to start going over the basics today. Like, working out what kind of reading schedule we will have, how posting should work (spoilers/no spoilers), how we should decide which VN we read, who should be organising everything (I'm happy to do it, but if others want to help that would be great). I was waiting to see if any more people would be interested in joining before I start trying to plan in more detail, but it looks like we're only going to get a couple more...which is fine. People can always join at a later date; it just means they won't get to help establish the posting rules, etc, before we begin.

My chief concern is that AVEN doesn't seem to have a very good retention of users. People join, post a few times and then just leave and never come back. I'm a bit worried that this might happen with the VN club. I don't want to be the only one posting in a dead thread, but I guess the only way to find out is by just doing it.

Well I was kind of hoping to start going over the basics today. Like, working out what kind of reading schedule we will have, how posting should work (spoilers/no spoilers), how we should decide which VN we read, who should be organising everything (I'm happy to do it, but if others want to help that would be great). I was waiting to see if any more people would be interested in joining before I start trying to plan in more detail, but it looks like we're only going to get a couple more...which is fine. People can always join at a later date; it just means they won't get to help establish the posting rules, etc, before we begin.

My chief concern is that AVEN doesn't seem to have a very good retention of users. People join, post a few times and then just leave and never come back. I'm a bit worried that this might happen with the VN club. I don't want to be the only one posting in a dead thread, but I guess the only way to find out is by just doing it.

Ha, well, I haven't been a member for long, so I'm not certain I can guarantee I'll stick around, but I've been enjoying the community quite a bit and have no inclination to wander off anytime soon myself...

Okay, I think I should probably get things moving. These are my ideas for how the club should function:

Schedule
I propose we read one visual novel a month, starting on the first Friday of each month. This should give most of us enough time to finish the longer visual novels. In the event that a member is unable to complete the visual novel, they are encouraged to post about whatever they have read so far. If the club wishes to read a shorter visual novel that is likely to be completed well before the end of the reading month, I suggest we pick a second one to see us through to the end.

Rather than having a "nomination period", I think a better (and far simpler) approach would be to just have members suggest a visual novel for the upcoming month at any time they choose. In the final week of each reading month, I will go back through the thread, gather all suggestions and then repost them with a bit of information about each. We can then have a quick vote about which visual novel(s) we'd like to read in the upcoming month.