Poll about dating and age?

jaquenata

Internet Meme

No ty.

What would we even talk about?

I'm talking about graduating college and starting a career, they're talking about...I dunno, dying? Blood pressure medicine? Life before the internet?

Friends? Maybe. A relationship? No.

invisiblewoman

Um...personally as a guy I don't think women age as well as men do. So it would be hard for me to be attracted to someone 25 years older than me.

Wow. That's pretty insensitive. No one ages well. Aging is an equal opportunity offender. The male prejudice against aging women, even over 30, is shocking to me.

My recent ex boyfriend had lied to me at the very introduction that he was at LEAST (i'm not even sure because he was such a liar) 12 years younger than he really was. and i had to find out the hard way how old he really was. so hell no. never again.

putting that aside, i highly doubt i would connect with someone who was 12+ years my senior. I'm much too involved in my current generation to connect with someone in a whole other generation. (my ex constantly complained about how i never talked to him anymore. probably because the bastard was so much older than me and couldn't relate to my damn interests!!)

Feral_Sophisticate

My recent ex boyfriend had lied to me at the very introduction that he was at LEAST (i'm not even sure because he was such a liar) 12 years younger than he really was. and i had to find out the hard way how old he really was. so hell no. never again.

putting that aside, i highly doubt i would connect with someone who was 12+ years my senior. I'm much too involved in my current generation to connect with someone in a whole other generation. (my ex constantly complained about how i never talked to him anymore. probably because the bastard was so much older than me and couldn't relate to my damn interests!!)

... well yes, because any lie based on insecurity will eventually backfire. I'm sure he's realizing his did.

Had he not lied to you about his age, would you have considered at least dating him?

I never lie about my age. Indeed, I generally cleave to the truth, in all things. It's just a lot easier, and a lot less stressful. To quote Mark Twain, "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything".

I have thought about it, and I think I would. If I was attracted to them and liked their personality and everything. I don't see why not.

It might be a little strange, but I don't think it would be wrong or anything.

I think the older you get the more acceptable large age differences become and also the less it matters. It depends on how much life experience people have had, what they are looking for with this relationship, what the dynamic is, how much they have in common, whether it would actually work far more than the age difference. I think theres often a natural tendency to view people of your parents age much like your parents in which case that would be weird, but if thats just not there and people just work together then go for it.

Personally I don't date, but I know of quite a few large age differences that have worked out amazingly well. But sometimes it can just be a reflection of the two people being in entirely different places in their lives. So u gotta take it case by case.

My parents have a large age gap so theoretically I have nothing against it. That said, I don't think I'm at a point where I'd be comfortable with someone that much older than me. I recently went out with a guy 7 years older than me (28/21), and even that was approaching too much.

I know a couple that has 17 years between them and I would not want that. It seems to be exhausting for the older person and weird for the younger person. They are happy though so it's not that. I wouldn't want that though...

Im 45 and i love younger men, i would not have problems in dating a 20 year old but as I am looking for a stable relationship dating with someone who is so young would be impossible

moonmagegrl

I've never known my father, but there is an age gap between my parents. I don't see anything wrong with age gaps. But I don't think I would want one.

Never!

I like guys that are around my own age.

My dad was 23 when he had me (and I have older brothers and sisters) and his new wife is 26 years younger than him and I can´t help but feel grossed out by it.

Age doesn't matter to me as much as mindset. That said, physical attraction is important and I'm generally attracted to girls younger or about the same age. My parents are in their 70's though so it'd be highly improbable for me to be attracted to someone closer to them in age.

• 3 weeks later...
Jenbug369

I could probably go older by 8 years tops, but I don't know. I'd sooner be with someone maybe a few years older than me, at most...

kassafrass

Personally no as my parents were 32 and 40 when they had me. That is quite a difference. As for age gap, I would be ok with up to 10 years I think, when I get a little bit older, no more than that though.

JaySexual

'ideal' age range would be my age to around 5 years younger ... not a "set in stone" thing, just what I feel is the ideal thing. Allot would depend on the person.

Celestine

I would follow the "rule of 7": Take the older person's age. Divide it in half. Add 7. If the younger person is not at least that old, the age difference is too great. This equation is great because the age gap gets wider the older you get, which makes sense to me. A 60 year old and a 40 year old is okay with me and worlds different than a 40 year old and a 20 year old together, imo.

I don't think it's accurate to say "age is just a number" because age is more than that. It represents (roughly) one's life experiences and level of maturity. I feel a relationship with too big of an age gap just can't have equal power dynamics; the older person will always have a bit more leverage.

But hey that's just me :)

Kavan Leif

I personally wouldn't, even if we had similar interests and we click just fine, I think I would feel uncomfortable(?)

I have cousins way older than me, some of them could me by parents and I have a lot of trouble getting along with them.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my parents are unusually old (60+), the age gap is really big and I tend to reflect that when treating other older people, even if they aren't that old.

BeladamMalcrone

My parents were almost 30 when they met, but I wouldn't say someone should wait that long unless that's what floats your boat, or if that's just kinda what ends up happening (ex. being content by yourself, don't really care about relationships either way, then suddenly one happens wait what do I do).

If I didn't meet The Bab when I did (I was 15, he was 16), I probably never would have dated, to he honest, and if I did, it probably would have been way later.

From the adult perspective, I really don't think peeps should start dating till they're maybe in high school, but it shouldn't be expected that you date.

I'm not even romantic, but if I was, it would be so darn unlikely to find a good match for me anyway, that if someone much older actually fit the bill... yeah, I guess I'd go for it!

I'd obviously had to be attracted, but I don't see it as impossible to be attracted to someone much older.

And I'm not that young myself anymore - if I was younger, it would probably feel more inappropriate, 'cause I would be so inexperienced and naive in comparison, but at certain age I think people won't change all that much anymore...

RainbowGalaxy

Highly unlikely.

I don't have any concrete reason, it just jars very violently in my mind. I feel like I'd need someone with a similar level of life experience to me.

Never say never, I guess, but it would have to be spectacular circumstances.

Nope. Under twenty, I don't think an age gap of more than three years is appropriate. Under thirty, maybe up to six years. Over thirty, I guess it opens up more. But I view people in other generations too differently to ever become romantically involved with somebody that much older (or younger).

No. In order for me to connect with someone romantically I'm going to have to like them platonic-ally first. Which means we'll have to have a conversation about shared interests...and because of the age gap I doubt there would be many.

Definitely, I use to date a guy who was 28 years older, and I once had a relationship with a woman who was about 20 years older.

I've actually had a horrible time dating within my age range, I found those relationships to be much more dramatic and emotionally difficult, while my relationships with older people were very calm and healthy. I credit that to their age and relationship experience.

I also learned a lot more about life and who I am as a person because they pushed me to view things from a more mature perspective. There's something totally different about having somebody older as a family member and having them as a friend or romantic partner. You're way more willing to listen to their advice and try out their way of doing things.

I think I also helped them a lot too in not taking things so seriously all the time and recapturing youthful idealism.

Don't knock it before you try it!

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

Since this is hypothetical, I'll hypothetically assume that in this hypothetical situation I'd be the type who dates people. Ok, let's see... 25 years older than me. That would mean that right now, he'd be 39... yeah, I'm going to say no, but come back to me when I'm about 20 years older or so. :P

Mafer_Potter

Since a loooong time ago, I have never felt "attracted" to someone close to my age. In fact, I usuallu feel some attraction so a special someone who's quite older than me. Not grampa-looking but... you know, along the lines of the likes of Benedict Cumberbatch or Jason Isaacs... that kind of thing. Aestheticly speaking.

Mentally, I usually feel guys my own age as if they were my little brothers ^^ I adore them but I feel like their mum most of the time. :)

Nooo, because they would die and get old 25 years SOONER! That would suck. Not to mention old people don't look very good no matter their gender. It would just be weird.

Feral_Sophisticate

Nooo, because they would die and get old 25 years SOONER! That would suck. Not to mention old people don't look very good no matter their gender. It would just be weird.

Wow...

Gotta love those generalizations... I'm in a relationship with someone 23 years younger than I, and we're both quite happy with the arrangement.

With regards to "old people" not looking good... I'm 43, and I easily pass for someone in the low 30s, and have no problem with younger women being attracted to me (said without being overly narcissistic) - so your broad statement is invalid.

Does anyone feel that the Internet helps to alleviate some of the differences between generation gaps?

ChihuahuaDaddy

It really depends on the individual, rather than the age difference.

In my case, I tend to be intimidated by the idea of dating those close to my age and older. It probably is because I have a huge inferiority complex regarding experience. I usually tend to be attracted to girls in their 20's. The funny thing is that I'm approaching 40, but look more like I'm in my mid to late 40's.

In a perfect world, my match would be a late-bloomer in her late 20's, or early 30's who looks like she's in her 20's. I really doubt that I could find such a special lady.

Archived