Poll about dating and age?

jaquenata

This is a purely hypothetical question and something I am curious about.

Would you date someone that was closer in age to your parents than yourself (for example at least 25 years old), or would you think it too strange or inappropriate?

Personally, I've thought about scenarios like this, because my parents were very young when they had me (dad was 21, mom was 24), PURELY in a hypothetical sense. I'm curious as to your answers.

Um...personally as a guy I don't think women age as well as men do. So it would be hard for me to be attracted to someone 25 years older than me.

Yes, and I have thought about it in a non-hypothetical way.

Feral_Sophisticate

*raises his hand*

Except the opposite is true here. I'm 43, and she's 23 years younger than I. Though I prefer somewhat younger women, she is normally outside the range that appeals to me. However, she and I connected very quickly, and on a very fundamental level. She's ace, and that's not at all an obstacle for me.

HiddenDemons

My limit is a year or two younger (so like 1997/1998) or a 1-3 years older WHEN I turn 18 in December (so 1993 through 1995) (I was born December 1996). I think it's weird to think, I would date someone 3 years older, but not 3 years younger. It's the same age gap (someone being 20/21 and the other being 14/15) but I've always preferred older girls. I'm not really fussed about age. My parents were 4 years apart, doesn't matter as long as you're happy.

littleheartsofjoy

No!

Yeah, uh no.

What they both said. Not going to happen for me. I can't find myself aesthetically attracted to some guy that can be old enough to be my father. I know that he isn't my father, but it just isn't going to work out for me because that's too much of an age difference.

Age doesn't matter to me, as long as we feel like we can relate. Age differences can sometimes make that harder, but not necessarily so.

Age is irrelevant as long as they're attractive enough.

Astrochelonian

Well, the standard creepiness rule is that anyone below [ (your age / 2) + 7 ] is too young and anyone older than [ (your age - 7) * 2 ] is too old. But that's really just a guideline.

dating_pools.png

Um...personally as a guy I don't think women age as well as men do. So it would be hard for me to be attracted to someone 25 years older than me.

In what way do women not age as well as men?

passionatefriend61

I don't date/want normative romantic relationships, but I would certainly be open to a nonexclusive grey-area friendship with someone much older than I am, if we had a strong emotional attraction to each other and it made sense. I actually have a huge squish on someone who's as old as my parents, and we're friendly. He means a lot to me. It's got nothing to do with looks. The spark I feel toward him is a combination of intellectual and emotional attraction/connection, I'd say. Before meeting him, if I had seen him on the street somewhere, I would've thought nothing of him except "Oh, there's an older guy." But again, friendship doesn't really take a person's looks into account, only who they are and how well two people get along.

Well, the standard creepiness rule is that anyone below [ (your age / 2) + 7 ] is too young and anyone older than [ (your age - 7) * 2 ] is too old. But that's really just a guideline.

dating_pools.png

The Rule is based on the minimum age of consent (14/2)+7=14.

In a socially constructed way,( over generalisation) If you look a celebrity culture woman in their 50s look 30, where men are closer to their expected age.

1. Men: are meant to grow up and become more stable providers as they age
  2. Traditionally men were judged on status rather than looks

This has been changing slowly, just look at all the adverts for mens beauty products and the growth in male plastic surgery over the past 10 or so years

Where age matter most is at the beginning and the end, In that under 18 age gaps are decided by class year not age ( And if you have a car lol). At the other end of the spectrum age comes with a lot of medical and age related physiological issues that create stresses and problems not created by the gap but highlight is to the parties involved

romantic-woman

i don't have problem with people who date older people, but for me, i think i cannot do it. I have a younger thought and behaviour.

Squirrel Combat

I would not date a girl older than me. It would be too awkward and I would always feel that she would be better off with a guy older than her.

I like younger girls. 25 years might be a stretch, however.

Personally, I'd say my acceptable "dating range" is from 20 years as the youngest to about 3-4 years older than me at the oldest. I'm hitting 40 in a few months... so I'd be literally okay with dating folks half my age.

Huh. Never heard of that one. By that guideline, R. and I were profoundly "creepy" when our ship started, and are just growing into the "non-creepy" zone this year.

Looks-wise/aesthetically, I'd assume. It's probably not all that polite to point it out, but I can't help but agree with it. *sheepish*

IMO, the tradeoff is that women, on average, look much better than equally-aged men in their young years... until sometime around late 30s/early 40s, the guys catch up and overtake. Then around 60, they're all back on equal grounds again. Just a question of the incline of the curve, whether it's steeper before or after the maximum point, and at what age that maximum is reached.

I refuse to go younger than 2 years, older however, the last 2 people I've been close to having any kind of relationship have been 25 and 28. I'd go to 30 at a push but no older at the moment.

In a socially constructed way,( over generalisation) If you look a celebrity culture woman in their 50s look 30, where men are closer to their expected age.

• Men: are meant to grow up and become more stable providers as they age
  • Traditionally men were judged on status rather than looks
This has been changing slowly, just look at all the adverts for mens beauty products and the growth in male plastic surgery over the past 10 or so years

Where age matter most is at the beginning and the end, In that under 18 age gaps are decided by class year not age ( And if you have a car lol). At the other end of the spectrum age comes with a lot of medical and age related physiological issues that create stresses and problems not created by the gap but highlight is to the parties involved

Judged on looks then, not acceptable for them to age (but it's ok for men). That's quite different to claiming they don't age well.

Notte stellata

I don't date/want normative romantic relationships, but I would certainly be open to a nonexclusive grey-area friendship with someone much older than I am, if we had a strong emotional attraction to each other and it made sense. I actually have a huge squish on someone who's as old as my parents, and we're friendly. He means a lot to me. It's got nothing to do with looks. The spark I feel toward him is a combination of intellectual and emotional attraction/connection, I'd say. Before meeting him, if I had seen him on the street somewhere, I would've thought nothing of him except "Oh, there's an older guy." But again, friendship doesn't really take a person's looks into account, only who they are and how well two people get along.

Totally agree with the bolded part. And being in a non-traditional relationship with someone much younger wouldn't be a problem for me either. My significant relationships don't need to be romantic, nor do they have to involve life-sharing, so if someone can be my close friend, they can potentially be my SO as well (if their relationship desire is compatible with mine). Since friendship doesn't care about age, gender, or looks, these things don't matter in my intimate relationships either (although they may affect whether a relationship of mine is romantic or not).

It really depends. Typically I'd only want to stray 5 years up or down but you never know! I have two friends who married last year and are 10+ years apart.

Honestly, there is too much of a generation gap. I feel like I wouldn't be able to connect with them in a lot of ways. Age doesn't mean a lot to me but that is a huge, huge number. Maybe if you are much older, like a 70 year old dating a 50 year old no one would think twice; but I am only 26 myself and for me to date someone who is 50 would absolutely not happen. Not in a million years. No matter who they are or how well we connected.

I have never been attracted to a girl who is older than me for some reason, I don't know it's just how I am wired I guess. But I could never date someone 25 years younger than me... well, that would make her 1 year old, but you know what I mean. It's just too huge of a gap.

25 years is something I would never go for, personally. Like Riley said ^ it's too much of a generation gap. I'm not sure how much you'd have in common and how easy it would be to connect with someone that much older/younger. It works out for some people though, so whatever floats the boat.

However a lesser age difference like 10 years I could probably go for. I have cousins who are 10-13 years older than me that I'm extremely close with, we have all similar interests and we're always pal-in' around with each other. In the past I dated someone 5 years older than me and the relationship was great, it only fell apart because of how sexual they were .

Over the years I have found myself to be attracted to many people older and younger than me. Over all, age doesn't matter much to me. It's all about the mental/emotional connection.

boxed toast

I personally don't want to 'date' anyone. I have wanted to be close with people far older than myself in a romantic sense though.

Archived