How Comfortable Are You Around People of Different Ages?

Jockey

How Comfortable Around People of Other Ages Are You?  

1. 1. Who do you feel MOST relaxed around? Vote for more than one only if it's a tie.

• Groups of people I don't know who are mostly much older than me.
    • Groups of people I don't know who are mostly older than me, but less than twenty years older.
    • Groups of people I don't know who are mostly near my age.
    • Groups of people I don't know who are mostly younger than me, but less than fifteen years younger.
    • Groups of people I don't know who are mostly much younger than me.
    • None of the above.
  2. 2. My best friend(s) are:

• Much older than me.
    • A little older than me.
    • My age.
    • A little younger than me.
    • Way younger than me.
    • I do not consider anybody to be my best friend.
  3. 3. I feel most awkward when I meet people who are:

• much older than me.
    • somewhat older than me.
    • my age.
    • younger than me.
    • much younger than me.

This poll is closed to new votes

I was thinking about how awkward I feel around people my own age.

Age doesn't matter to me, the most important thing is common interests. If not, the conversation's going to run dry pretty quickly.

AnomalyEternal

I feel more comfortable around people slightly older than me, which probably explains why my best friend is a few years my senior. I don't particularly like people who are younger than me or my age mostly because they gossip and chat about who they have a crush on or who they're dating or who that random chick/dude shagged last night. I mean, it's not THAT bad, I just don't like it when they try to involve me in the conversation, which they always inevitably do.

I am quicker to warm up to folks near my age and older but I try not to let age determine who I will and won't hang out with or befriend. I have learned to be more comfortable with folks much younger than I am by attending the asexual meetups in the bay area. At nearly all the meetups I'm 20+ years older than most of the folks. On AVEN, I have to admit to being most comfortable in the older than 50 thread in the older asexual forum. But I do venture to other parts of AVEN as my responding to this thread shows ;)

If our interests are similar, I'm comfortable around people of any age. However, I'm most comfortable around people near my age because they've had common life experiences, which teens/20s haven't.

I am generally uncomfortable around people of all ages. :ph34r:

Braydin, on 28 Mar 2014 - 4:45 PM, said:

I am generally uncomfortable around people of all ages. :ph34r:

:cake:

How I read this the title of this thread goes like "Are You Comfortable Around Anyone Who Is Not You"

littleheartsofjoy

I'm most comfortable around people near my own age, in a general sense. I feel like we are somewhat equals, at least age wise.

People who are much older than me, I feel the most awkward around. I feel like I am seen as a child to them, and how I was raised often makes it hard if I happen to befriend someone much older than me, when it comes to addressing them. I also assume that they usually wouldn't have much to say to me, but it depends how we meet.

If we meet online and the much older person is female and we have something in common, it should be fine. However for a guy, it's really awkward for me. There are 2 guys that I know who are much older than me, and at first, it felt very awkward, because I didn't understand why they would want to initiate a conversation with me. The one that I met online, it was still awkward for me, if not more so than the other guy that I met in my classes.

Waist of Thyme

I'm comfortable around people of any age except very young children. The reason for that is because I've been grabbed in lines by small children before in stores and amusement parks, and had one run up to me in an aquarium thinking I was its parent, so I get scared when they're around me because they might grab me. I'll be friendly towards them if they talk to me, but I'd still feel uncomfortable at first.

Most of my friends are between 15 and early 20s, with a few that are older.

1) Mostly my age

2) My age

3) Much younger

By "much younger" I mean anywhere from 15 years below (I'm 21). I feel a bit out of place if I'm amongst adults only, but way less out of place than when I'm amongst kids.

My friends are pretty literally my age. They were almost all born in 1992 as I was, and all of my best friends (present and past) were born in that year, with only one exception (1991).

Age is none of my concerns, and I would not stay around almost anyone of any age. I like my alone time

WhenSummersGone

I'm not really comfortable around people in general so age doesn't matter. I don't really have a best friend right now and I voted much younger for the last question.

I feel more comfortable around larger groups of people who are older than me. Preferably a good thirty years (I'm 36) I don't feel much connection, off line at least, with those of the same age. We passed each other by a long time ago. They went forward, I went backwards, and we have settled on path that is neither here nor there. Different lives. Different milestones. I don't have a best friend. The friends I do communicate with are all on line. I have a great friendship with each and every one of them and they are always there for me (some every day :)) but I don't think I could put one ahead of the others and it was something, when I did have friends (many moons ago :lol:) that I didn't like to do.

I have often said, to those that know me, that I would prefer to spend my time around children. Life is so much easier, far more relaxing and completely acceptable, when in the company of kids. There's never a need to be on "guard". Except for when they just chuck stuff at you :P

KumatoraKazooie

I was never comfortable around people my own age, even growing up. I was always the most comfortable with adults or little kids.

• 4 weeks later...
R. Fenghuang

I tend to run-over/mother people who are younger than me. People my own age tend to have incredibly disparate interest to me or I get left behind by their lingo.

I just vibe better with people who are older than (as tired as) me.

:p

I feel uncomfortable around very young people such as children and teenagers. Maybe this is because I don't like them anyway.

I don't like being around young young people, I hate kids I spend most of my time wanting to smack them. A lot of people I've met through AVEN are younger than me, so I am more comfortable than I was! Usually people my own age though!

• 5 months later...

I generally have acquaintances older than me, none younger, mainly because that is how life has panned out. I don't feel comfortable around people about 10 years younger than me

I feel the most comfortable with people in their forties (10 - 15 years older than me). Getting along well is more difficult for me with people who are less than 35, because some are still very immature and sometimes I even feel like their mum... It can be sometimes cute but it often becomes annoying with time. I can't really havean equal relationship with them, if they aren't more mature than their biological age.

I could technically vote for all in the first one, because I feel the same prima facie comfort around any group. And that's none. (So I did vote none of the above.)

• 5 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived