Question for gray-asexuals

luna.x

Hey, everyone. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I haven't seen a topic about this yet.

I'm still pretty new to asexuality and still feeling pretty confused about my own (a?)sexuality in general. I recently discovered gray-asexuality as well. I feel like I might relate to it because I do sometimes enjoy sex if I can make myself get into it, but in general sex is just very uninteresting to me. So I have a question for people who identify as gray:

Do you always specify that you are gray-asexual, or do you just in general identify as asexual for whatever reason?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just genuinely curious if it's all right to just use asexual as somewhat of an umbrella term for convenience sake or whatever your reason might be.

Burnt_Phoenix

Well, I am not a gray, but I have many friends who are, and can imagine similar circumstances. When with other asexuals or gray aces (or anyone fluent in all the terms we throw around), I would use gray ace. In common vernacular, with friends and people who don't understand all the ins and outs of asexuality, just keep it to asexuality, for ease of communication.

People know I'm demisexual, but I pretty much just say asexual if I don't feel like going into it all.

Generally, I just say asexual, unless I'm trying to better explain it, or it's relevant to the topic. For me personally, I feel like it's a distinction that's not always necessary to make unless the situation calls for it. If I were talking to another ace for the first time, I might specify that I'm grey just so we're kind of on the same page, and so nothing I say ends up accidentally throwing a curve ball at them. If I'm explaining asexuality to a friend and I mention that it's a spectrum, I'll indicate where I fall on the spectrum. If someone is looking for the input of aces from all over the spectrum, I'd indicate I'm grey before hand so they knew where on the spectrum my particular opinion came from.

It's up to the individual, but I find labels pretty suffocating as is, so I try not to use them, or at least the narrow ones, as much as I can.

Thanks for the replies everyone. What you guys are saying about just keeping it asexual when just speaking in general, but specifying if we're getting specific or discussing asexuality and the spectrums of asexuality, is sort of how I figured it would go. I just really do think I'm probably gray, but was curious if it would be appropriate for me to use asexual when not getting specific.

Also, I'm open to hearing more from anyone and their thoughts on this. :)

waffleupmynostril
i identify as grey asexual because for the most part, im not sexually attracted to people. however, when I am, it is very rare and usually my sexual attraction for them is quite mild.

That's just how it is for me but things are different for every grey asexual and every individual

thatotherguy57

I'm more likely to identify to sexuals as asexual, unless I'm trying to explain specifics, and then, only to people that I think can wrap their head around the concept of asexuality. If they seem to comprehend, I'll explain about gray and demi.

I myself am a Gray. Yet when speaking to others in general

I use Asexual. If they are open to receive what I've to say,

I'll explain the Gray and why I use that umbrellaed tittle.

Here @ AVEN I use Gray openly in general conversation, because

Its nice to be fully understood. I also choose to go in depth

On my asexual detailed "tittle", because I want to fuly feel and know

How to help or teach others!

What ever words, tittle be creative have fun!

I use Grey-Asexual because I'm not totally Asexual but I'm not totally sexual either but, confusingly, I do tend to lean more towards the Asexual category but it just wouldn't be right, to me, to say I'm totally Asexual.

I usually say I'm demisexual and explain with a quick "I only experience sexual attraction after a deep romantic emotional bond" which is of course specific to me, but I think I might start mentioning how it's a branch of asexuality, just for the sake of awareness, and possibly how other demisexual/romantics experience attraction... but it is quite a bit considering for most people I'd have to go into the whole sexual attraction vs romantic attraction thing. I'll probably just stick with the definition of demisexuality (specific to me, as I said) and mention asexuality, maybe if I have some time on my hands or they're a good friend, go into the romantic/sexual attraction stuff :)

Archived