Benefits of Asexuality

henrik

19 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite benefits about being asexual?

• Less likely to contract STD's
    • Immunity to sexual advertising
    • More likely to develop purely emotional relationships
    • Diminished likelihood of drama
    • Increased ability to concentrate on other things
    • Other (inclusion of Zombies optional)
    • There are no benefits to being asexual
    • There are only disadvantages in being asexual
    • This question offends me
    • Not asexual, but still wanted to join in

Wonderful to be asexual? That was the question of choice on the latest episode of A Life, concentrating on the potential benefits of asexuality as an orientation.

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

Mad Hatter

The main benefit that I am glad of is the fact that I have no worry of ending up pregnant by accident! :D Plus obviolulsy along with this there is also less change of getting an STD.

I chose the "concentrating on other things"... thing... But I didn't get the first one. What is an STD? :huh:

Nalle Neversure

I cant think of any benefits (or disadvantaces). To me being asexual is like having blue eyes. A thing that just is. So I voted for zombies. :lol:

I chose the "concentrating on other things"... thing... But I didn't get the first one. What is an STD? :huh:

STD is Sexually Transmitted Diseases. Some STD's are HIV, AIDS, Herpes, and many more.

For me there are only benefits to being asexual. My favorites are having to deal with less drama and being able to concentrate on other things besides sex

I voted for the decreased drama option. My friends have so much angst and drama with their relationships and sex and I am so glad that I have none o that. It all seems so stupid. My best friend has one boyfriend drama after another and I have to sit and listen to her sob over it all and it drives me insane. She never listens to my problems and I have REAL problems. She sits and cries her heart out and I have to fight the urge to tell her to grow up and get real problems. The thing is though is that apparently these are real problems. lol

STD is Sexually Transmitted Diseases. Some STD's are HIV, AIDS, Herpes, and many more.

Thanks for informing me! :) I guess I should have figured that out myself... *feels dumb* :blink: But I'm quite "bad" with the acronyms - they just don't stay in my head :blush:

Thanks for informing me! :) I guess I should have figured that out myself... *feels dumb* :blink: But I'm quite "bad" with the acronyms - they just don't stay in my head :blush:

Ah, it's no problem! Acronyms can be confusing, there are a lot of them.

Fish That Swims

I would pick the STD option except

I've had herpes since I was, like, two. my uncle brushed my teeth with his toothbrush. (not a euphemism)

Oh well.

Other than that: more frequent occurrences of clear-headedness.

P is for...

I've had herpes since I was, like, two. my uncle brushed my teeth with his toothbrush. (not a euphemism)

Oh well.

seriously. yes. asexuality (assuming that means we're talking about actual lack of sex) is no guarantee against either herpes or syphilis. possibly others too, but those for sure. it's not common, no; but it is possible. just sayin'.

I used to think it was terrible but now I can't imagine being any other way.

It's just neutral to me now. It's what I am - neither positive nor negative.

-GB

The MoUsY spell-checker

Being an aromantic asexual doesn't keep me out of relationship drama completely. I've had to cut ties with a close friend who is romantically/sexually interested in me because he became really annoying. That counts as drama, right? He is in most of my social circles, so I risk running into him every time I go to any of the social events I normally attend. That said, at least it's not an emotional issue to me, just a logistical issue of having to avoid someone who was my friend.

As for concentrating on other things, while not spending time on sex/romantic relationships means that I have that time for other things, it doesn't mean that I can then concentrate better on anything specific. I try to do so many other things that I end up being very unproductive most of the time. It's just that sex isn't one of the things I'm doing. Say, notice how almost every thread on something to the effect of "asexuals concentrate better on other things than sexuals" has someone saying that they just end up spending a lot of their spare time on AVEN instead?

I don't actually notice that many advertisements that are particularly sexual. Then again, I rarely watch TV, and I have Adblock on my browser, so that cuts out quite a lot of advertisements. Quite a lot of the ones that I do see (usually on buses and billboards) aren't sexual. The ones on podcasts tend not to be sexual either. I think that's probably a case for being less affected by sexual advertisements - I don't even notice them.

The minor detail that I will pick on this time is that you have a Facebook page for the podcast, not a group. The two things are different.

By the way, thanks for reading out my post on the thread for episode 23. Yay for maths symbols. xD

Omission of the issue of less likelyhood of unwanted pregnancies was a stupid oversight, I knew I forgot something when I made the poll...

Oh well.

seriously. yes. asexuality (assuming that means we're talking about actual lack of sex) is no guarantee against either herpes or syphilis. possibly others too, but those for sure. it's not common, no; but it is possible. just sayin'.

We actually touched on this on the show. That's why the option says "Less likely to contract STD's", not "No STD's".

GardenMeLost

This may just be me, but do there need to be advantages? Are there advantages to being any other orientation?

Sure, I may not be concerned about sexual relationships and can concentrate on other things, but I don't dwell on that fact. I don't see it as an advantage because that fact is only noticeable when someone points it out to me. It's a negligible fact in my life.

I would also like to point out that I am definitely not immune from drama. As my friends see me as a unbiased source, I am often dragged into relationship dramas for advice.

There is only one advantage I acknowledge and it isn't even advantageous to asexuals solely: If you accept the fact that you are asexual and are open about it within an accepting community of friends, then you can be happier knowing you don't have to hide who are you and can act accordingly.

Archived