Symbols of Asexuality

The A Life Team

42 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite Asexual symbols?

• Ace
    • Shaded triangle
    • Black ring
    • They all suck!
    • Other (zombies optional)

The A Life Team

All minorities seem to have their selected symbolism to broadcast and share their identity. Asexual symbols are far newer than others and their origins can be traced. On the latest episode of A Life, we dig into the symbols and their origins.

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

Sir Oliver

Zombies? Zombies can be our symbol? Oh yes, please!

I myself use the triangle. C:

P is for...

Zombies? Zombies can be our symbol? Oh yes, please!

yep, i'm down with the zombies too. i can certainly identify with anyone who's more interested in brains than sex.

Personally, I like the connotations of the Ace symbol.

I see the Ace of Spades as a generic asexual symbol, and the triangle as a specifically AVEN symbol. Although it seems that AVEN, being the largest gathering of asexuals, dictates what is a symbol of asexuality...

can't figure out how to listen. I'll try again in the morning. Still, my symbol of choice is the ace.

can't figure out how to listen. I'll try again in the morning. Still, my symbol of choice is the ace.

The easiest way to listen is to go to the site and click the 'Download (MP3)' -link. It'll immediately start playing the show or downloads it to your hard drive, depending on your setup.

Personally I like the ace, but since I am guilty of wearing a black ring I voted for that one too.

Of course the ultimate symbol would be a shaded zombie wearing a black ring who wields aces.

I confess to being in favor of the shaded triangle, but then I was there (here?) when it was first adopted.

Or .. well, actually I came up with the idea, made a rough prototype, and Dargon fixed it.

DJ made the original triangle with the black tip (and it had a great deal of meaning which hasn't been mentioned recently, and might even have been forgotten) but there was a lot of resistance from those who were not 100% asexual so the shaded triangle was specificlly made to include the Grey-As.

Anyway ... yeah. I'm kinda biased.

-GB

I needed a symbol to put on my blog in order to make my asexuality clear even though I don't blog about it all the time. After a bit, I decided on the AVEN triangle, so I guess that's my favorite. The biggest drawback is that it's more of an AVEN symbol than an asexuality symbol.

You forgot the cake symbol! :cake: (it's okay though, the cake symbol sucks... don't hate me!)

I think Henrik said on A Life (unless I wasn't paying close enough attention) that the AVEN triangle is supposed to symbolize the range of romantic orientations within asexuality. This is incorrect! The three corners of the triangle are supposed to be heterosexual, homosexual, and asexual.

The easiest way to listen is to go to the site and click the 'Download (MP3)' -link. It'll immediately start playing the show or downloads it to your hard drive, depending on your setup.

My computer was having trouble with that. or so I thought. Turns out I sound was screwed up...

I needed a symbol to put on my blog in order to make my asexuality clear even though I don't blog about it all the time. After a bit, I decided on the AVEN triangle, so I guess that's my favorite. The biggest drawback is that it's more of an AVEN symbol than an asexuality symbol.

You forgot the cake symbol! :cake: (it's okay though, the cake symbol sucks... don't hate me!)

I think Henrik said on A Life (unless I wasn't paying close enough attention) that the AVEN triangle is supposed to symbolize the range of romantic orientations within asexuality. This is incorrect! The three corners of the triangle are supposed to be heterosexual, homosexual, and asexual.

We mentioned the corners on the podcast.

I voted for 'they all suck!' in (to quote Henrik - A Life Podcast episode #6) 'an asexual way.'

I partake in the black ring thing but I don't view it as a symbol. Technically I think it's a sign of a person's asexuality but, to my teacher's disappointment, I shall not argue between the two.

I doubt a symbol is actually necessary. Somebody tried to get interest in a flag idea but it didn't lift of. There's no symbol for veganism or vegetarianism (the giant V only shows which foods are vegetarian) and people are good with vegetarians and vegans.

I think they're good for different things.

A black ring is better for day to day real life sort of thing, and the other two are more overt symbols if you're trying to be more obvious or special occasion type thing. And then it only works if you know 'em. The Ace card thing will probably just make most think you're a fan of cards. The triangle will probably tell people it's something to do with sexuality and not the heterosexual norm so that seems to be the most universal and obvious. But at the same time do people want to use it around other non-heterosexual people who aren't ace (homo/bi/pan-sexuals) cause I know I've felt a bit scared they'll think I'm intruding or something. I know it wasn't designed as a kind of 'AHA! Lets still the gay people's pink triangle!' but one or two have spoken to me angrily, well typed to me angrily, about it. So I get a bit weary. But....

They all have their purposes, I think. But the triangle is, largely, my fave. Just cause it's harder to mistake for being a fan of card games or black jewelery.

The MoUsY spell-checker

In response to the discussion about "53x+m3 = ∅" on the podcast, one way of putting an e in would be as the constant e (Euler's number). So, "5ex +m3 = ∅". (Kind of like the common maths joke "∫ex =fun" (sex is fun), except that strictly speaking the equation should specify the variable with respect to which the integration is done, so it should really be ∫exdx. Good that ours doesn't use an integral sign.)

The Kinsey scale is a line, and that's one dimension, and the triangle is two dimensions, not three as said in the podcast.

• 2 years later...

Black ring!!!

Since I have discovered this symbol I have always worn it.

Dendritic Trees

I like all the current symbols, I also like cake but I don't think its a good primary symbol because its too much of an in-joke. I don't like zombies, I give them a negative vote. Using zombies as a symbol for asexuals is like putting up a big sign that says 'we're a strange and unknowable group of Others, we are not people at all', because zombies are really uncanny valley material, one of the defining features, across many zombie sorts is not the love of brains, but that they look human, but they really really aren't.

Also, I like the smaller, more abstract symbols because they have more utility. You can put them on flags, pins, shirts, doodles etc, while the more complex ones are a little harder to convey.

• 3 weeks later...

I do like the :cake: symbol I must admit.I have a :cake: tattoo on my ribs.Maybe I should add a Zombie.He could be dressed in AVEN's colours,a ripped,frayed T-shirt and he could be munching on the :cake:

*ADOPTS CREEPY,CROAKY,STRAINED ZOMBIE VOICE*

"CAAAAKKEEE ARRRRRRRRHHHH"

I like the ace, the flag and its colours, and of course :cake: . I'm not crazy about the black ring, just because I don't find rings particularly comfortable to wear.

. . .but there are sounds

I like the ace in theory, but I am pretty sure all the different aces have already been claimed by different groups and have pre-established meanings.

Cake is pretty good, but more of an AVEN thing than an asexual thing.

The flag is really good. I feel ultimatly it is the best symbol we have as yet.

The ring is a good symbol though of a different kind. I don't think it does much for visibility as its not very visible. Its more of an internal thing, it shows connection to a community of similar people. It is a symbol to the person wearing it that they are not alone.

Janus the Fox

Mines a bit more visible, I have coloured wristbands that are of the Asexual flag colours. Black, gray, white and purple wristbands so if there is anyone who knows of the flag, knows I at least support it. I bought it by chance from an accessory shop that had the purple, gray and black colours. All that was missing is the white which is a inside out London 2012 wristband. This is temporary until I get a decent one made, including LGBT ones.  

I voted for the flag (really should have be a vote option) and the ace.

If ace were just a mere play on words, i would not count it as a good universal symbol, but as being an ace of spades, it has the likeliness of a black heart turned upside sown, which sums up things in a brief, artistic, and aesthetically pleasing way. Also, it is easier to fit in other kind of asexuality-related material, because it restricts colour scheme less and works well on smaller scales.

I like the ace, but unless you're willing to get it tattooed where it can always be seen, I don't see it as a symbol that one can wear or carry all the time. For that reason I'll go with the black ring.

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to have a black ring and perhaps an ace of spades shirt. As an alternative for the ring, I've tried taping electrical tape around my finger just today at home. (I got the idea from Chris Martin and the coloured electrical tape he used to put around his fingers.)

Archived