New Scientist article: Thoughts?

Sunfell

Found this in my wanderings online today:

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996533

Very interesting, sympathetic, and insightful. I know that I haven't been around this forum in a while (been playin' in my own Live Journal), but AVEN was referred to in the CNN article about us.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/10/14...tudy/index.html

Us... I am not sure if I really like the idea of suddenly being 'fashionable'... considering the crap I had to put up with during my youth and twenties. I was 'adorable' but I was not interested. I am still pretty good looking for a middle aged curmudgeon, but I am still not interested in sex. That isn't going to change, no matter how much airplay we get.

Sunfell

2013 Mod Edit: The New Scientist article can be found here.

Nor should it change. But that is the New Scientist article we have all been waiting for. I guess it is available online after all. Thanks for posting the link.

boa (aka Brian???)

Hi,

I got the URL off this website from that New Scientist article - I'm not asexual but I thought I'd come and have a look see. I don't think the fact that asexuality was publicised on CNN means that it's becoming 'fasionable', it shows that humanity is continually advancing its understanding of exisitence. Further documentation of asexuality might even go along way in mending 'damaged' mariages, bringing either of the two parterns involved to understand how the other one feels. Often "I just don't feel like it" doesn't go far in terms of mutual understanding. Asexuality awareness might solve that. I must say, not being attracted to chicks is inconceivable to me! It's like trying to imagine infinity or the square root of a negative number, or a time before time... :?

If the New Scientist article can open some eyes, and some minds, that would make me really happy. I'm keeping a copy in my archives- they did an excellent job in its writing.

This paragraph got my attention:

A powerful example of how people react to the idea appears in an article titled “Eight myths about religious life,” which appeared in Vision 2002, an annual magazine from the National Religious Vocation Conference in the US. It states: “Question: what do you call a person who is asexual? Answer: Not a person. Asexual people do not exist. Sexuality is a gift from God and thus a fundamental part of our human identity.”

I don't exist, eh? Funny, but I feel quite the opposite of the author of that paragraph: I believe that my asexuality is a gift from my Creator- a 'get out of all sorts of worrisome crap free' card and permission for me to learn and grow in other directions without the distraction of sex. Of course, the sexed ones didn't see it this way, and my youth and young adulthood was filled with nosy sexuals prying into my business and trying to 'convert' me or convince me that there was something wrong with me.

Heh. Science finally proves what I've known in my soul all the time: I'm just fine, thank you...

Sunfell

:lol:

I think the articles are great. All of them. This is the brink of something big. This is 20 members online at a time. This is the store becoming a good option for venture capitalists.

This is becoming known.

October 14th is TOTALLY 'A day'.

Live R Perfect

I'm....overwhelmed at the response and the media interest. Its quite incredible... *stares into middle distance*

YES

Oct 14 is from here on out known as A-DAY! The day we took over the media.

Cate

I think this belongs in World Watch. Shall I move it there?

I secretly love you.

:lol:

Ain't a secret no more, buddy.

Oct 14 is from here on out known as A-DAY! The day we took over the media.

:lol: Excellent...all according to plan...

This definitely is A-DAY, people. We have arrived.

Ladies, gentlemen, cats & shrews, asexuality is recognized.

Silly Green Monkey

The quiz on that second article shows five thousand people marked 'asexual' on it. Wonder if they're all trying to get here.

Speaking of taking over the media (and also of Tressa's Weirded Out thread):

National Post. Front Page. 'A' pride on the rise as asexuals seek approval. Cont'd on A2.

My mom beat me to it :D

Silly Green Monkey

Typical response of those lacking education...there's info going out there, their fault if they miss it.

Hey, at least it's not as violent as Stonewall. Although, here's the really weird/awesome thing: Today's the 25th anniversary of the first major gay rights march in the U.S. :D

Davey, how'd your mother take it?

Cate

She said 'look, it's interesting' and I said 'I've read it about 15 times this evening. It's all over the 'net.'

I think I'll come out in full.. but maybe not.

Hmm..!

Hm, so if I'm "diseased", then just what detrimental effects are ruining my/other people's lives, then?

*crickets... stridulate*

(Shush, I'm a biologist!)

It's certainly not that long since June 2003 when this column in Savage Love and others like it later on, and now asexuality is actually starting to get some positive media attention. Unfortunately, some still seem to be putting it in the "oddball" basket alongside Michael Jackson and hermaphrodites, but I think most mainstream people don't really have much of a problem with it - hell, 10 years ago, being gay wasn't so acceptable, and now it's almost fashionable.

Just back from the local Barnes/Ignoble with a hard copy (well, six, actually :P ). Text is much the same (exactly, so far) as on the website. A bit of P. 38 and all of 39 is a pic of DJ in a classical pose, looking off and up to his left, against a garden wall with ivy trailing down one side, wearing his "Nobody knows I'm asexual......" baseball jersey. There is a file photo of a Stonewall car in a pride parade with the caption "Some see parallels between asexual activism and the beginnings of the gay revolution of the 1970s". And a pic of DJ on a swing (on the backswing) looking into the cameea, with the swing rope coming down between his eyes between him and the camera, in the same shirt, and the caption "Swinging neither way: one survey suggests that around 1 percent of people are asexual".

I think I'm going to celebrate with a can of pringles and a bottle of expensive, imported nonalcoholic beer :lol:

boa, all a-twitter

This is fantastic....

I've seen Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkabhan at the IMAX

Then I got my New Scientist

And it's A-Day!!!

Hooray :D

Well i got my copy today, i scoured my supermarket till i found it (having had a moment of panic because they had rearranged the whole magazine section and i thought they might have sold out).

It was a good article, nothing too sensationalist, very typical new scientist style. I dont have much more to say about it really, apart from how glad i am that its created alot of (mostly) positive media interest.... yay for new scientist.

Although my interview wasn't included, I LOVED IT!

BOOYA!

It has begun...

Archived