How should asexuality in fiction be defined?

The A Life Team

How should asexuality in fiction be defined?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How should asexuality in fiction be defined?

• All characters who don't display sexuality should be counted as asexual
    • Only characters inside a sexual canon displaying asexual traits should be counted as asexual
    • Asexuality in fiction can't be discussed because of the immaterial and incomplete nature of the subject matter
    • Other (Brains...)

The A Life Team

Hey everyone!

This is the poll for Episode 8 of the asexy podcast A Life, in which the panel goes on and tackles the interesting question of asexual characters in media. We go trough the real, imagined and concrete examples of asexuality in fiction, even if most of it turns out to be just wishful thinking. But at least we get to understand that you can never go wrong with zombies...

If none of the poll choices make sense to you, give our newest episode a listen first.

~The A Life Team

I guess I'm a purist. I don't think characters should be considered asexual unless it's something fairly explicit. Like Gerald from that New Zealand soap. Gerald actually identified as asexual, and had a whole coming out story line. I might include Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory too, since it's been explicitly stated that he has no deal. I don't think robots, zombies, or for that matter, time lords, should count. Unless they're humans, I don't think you can describe them as asexual in the same way that we are. You could say they're asexy, or have asexual qualities, but I wouldn't call them asexual.

Unless they 100% state that they are asexual it shouldnt count i mean theres only one distinguishable fact connecting all asexuals everything else is immaterial i mean there are sexuals who dont like sex get uncomfortable around people are confused by the opposite sex like sheldon is i mean picking out the small things so you can point the finger and yell ASEXUAL!! seems sort of stupid its like pointing the finger and screaming gay at a guy prancing down the street with a pink shirt on.

I figure the only way of saying 'that guy is probably asexual' in any reasonable way is by having characters around them who ARE sexual and to have that character show traits of asexuality. And even then you can only theorise about it until it's stated in cannon. Like that soap character. Or even Sheldon in as much as everyone confirmed he didn't have a 'deal' when deal was clearly a metaphor for sex and sexual preferences.

I part of me agrees, but since it's fiction, I think it's okay to speculate. I mean people speculate over other aspects in fiction. So why not speculate the sexuality of a character?

that_american_kid

Sheldon is totally asexual. :)

Seriously, I agree with the person who said that he counts as "explicitly stated" because it's no argument that "Sheldon has no deal" (Also the name of the blog I never update but someday I will) means literally "Sheldon has no interest in sex."

I also think it's more than okay to speculate. Doesn't everyone else speculate on who's gay and who's sleeping with whom and all that crap? Why shouldn't we take it as lightly as they do and have a little fun gossiping?

The only upside to missing taping (went home to help a friend whose mom had surgery, be back on friday) is that I get to comment on the poll! I usually restrain myself because I've had an hour to say what I wanted.

annwyl_cariad
Sheldon is totally asexual. :)

Seriously, I agree with the person who said that he counts as "explicitly stated" because it's no argument that "Sheldon has no deal" (Also the name of the blog I never update but someday I will) means literally "Sheldon has no interest in sex."

This is truth. I took that conversation as an explicit confirmation of asexuality, even if the cast/producers have hedged on confirming it in interviews. The whole Sheldon/Penny shipping phenomenon just totally baffles me...how can anyone not realize he's asexual?

I don't think you can count a character as asexual unless they've displayed some clearly asexy tendencies in a sexual context. For example, to talk some more about The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon's friends are clearly sexual. Sheldon, on the other hand, has been known to say things like, "No, I’m going to ask him to choose between sex and Halo 3. As far as I know, sex has not been upgraded to include high-def graphics and enhanced weapon systems." I don't think too many sexual guys would find that much of a contest, regardless of how sweet the graphics are. However, if there's no sex in the context of the show, then I don't think we can assume that all the characters are asexual.

And of course, speculation is fun. I do a lot of speculating about the sexualities of characters, just because it's fun to think that the Doctor's lifelong feud with the Master has a basis in a relationship gone horribly horribly wrong, but still laced with sexual tension. Cause it just makes things more interesting, haha.

Adm_Twister_JCOM

It needs to be clear that they are asexual. Otherwise, there is too much ambiguity to be sure. Three of my characters in my military fiction series started out as asexual, but it quickly became clear they were antisexual. I gave plenty of details to make this clear.

Archived