Short film about an asexual. Watch it now.

whendershot

whendershot

A short film called "The Cold Shoulder" was just released and if you haven't already...

Download it legally for free at: http://www.irfilms.org/watch1dir002dl.html

Info about the film can be found at:

http://www.irfilms.org/1DIR002.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1372242/

Cast

Kai Issey ... Kenneth

Jennifer Mullin ... Daisy

George Opoku-Serebuoh ... Rick

Storyline

Kenneth and Daisy have been in a strong relationship with each other since it is built upon special emotional circumstances. Circumstances due to Kenneth's uniqueness as an individual. However, their relationship is deteriorating because Daisy is now striving to be in a relationship built upon normal circumstances. A relationship which Kenneth cannot provide no matter how hard he tries. This film sheds light on the foundation of Kenneth's behavior. A topic that has long been misunderstood by many. Written by Basilio, Guido

There hasn't been many films featuring an asexual as the main character. Please check it out.

Seien Hananosei

That was pretty good. I mean, it did a good job at representing the asexual community. And I felt really bad for Kenneth. /._.\

ThePieMaker

I quite enjoyed that actually. Thank you so much for sharing it. I like how it's made so you sympathize with both sides of the issue. I also liked the slight awkwardness Kenneth had but it wasn't overpowering. Just because I know I'm a mildly awkward individual and being asexual certainly doesn't help that in certain circumstances. Haha. Thanks again.

Decent film. Took some of the issues of sexual-asexual relationships and represented them well. Congrats!

The camera seemed to be a hand-held cam.

But overall, the storyline was very poignant and the actors were not bad at all.

I think it was a good depiction of such problems.

whendershot

yes, it has a low-budget, on-the-fly look but the concept and story is strong enough to forgive the lo-fo production values.

yes, it has a low-budget, on-the-fly look but the concept and story is strong enough to forgive the lo-fo production values.

I don't see a problem with that anyway, I was just wondering about the camera.

It's quite touching overall.

I'm only less than half-way through this film, and it's hitting a real raw nerve with me. I can't really bear to have a girl I like behave like that. Because I know she wants sex, and I don't feel I can do it - and her f****** off on me hurts lots. Like - another one gone. Makes me really angry. Just had to vent that.

Argh - yeah: that's my life and fears in a nutshell. This is precisely why I don't feel I have moved anywhere in life. That scene with the women in the house - that's just the nub of it right there. That's my number one phobia completely exposed. I'd really like it when she leans forward to me. But that whole 'if you don't take me now I'm going to want to kill you' - my God I run a mile from that every time.

The only drawback from this video is the acting and the line leading up to the first time he says asexual. Other than that I have officially spammed this movie out to most of my friends. Terrific video, I can relate surprising very much to a video made by someone else. It feels good.

But, I am curious about the alcohol reference in this video; the main person won't drink alcohol "anymore" and doesn't explain why. Maybe it's just a random personal reason he won't drink, but alcohol does make one less aware of everything. Does anyone here not drink around people because they know their friends may try and make you have sex and you won't be fully aware of it?

Nice video, thanks for sharing. I understand how hard a relationship like that could be, tho I'm fairly aromantic so have not and probably would not have even gotten that far.

I don't drink kinda for the same reason I don't have sex, not interested. Would be interesting to know the reasoning as portrayed in the video.

Mimicking Sanity

That really wasn't bad. Yes, I quite liked it.

My reason for avoiding alcohol is the same as gSOLO's.

I don't imagine getting drunk is as good as some people claim.

Sooooo, what was the present he got for her?

I didn't really relate that well with the film (perhaps I'm not supposed to post here then) But, did anybody else get this general sense they clearly weren't compatible from the beginning, and what were they doing together anyway? I didn't see them relating on any level at all the way he claimed, you know? That could have been shown before the fighting. Maybe it's because I'm not a fighter and can't relate to fighting. I guess it just wasn't effective for me. I feel if I didn't already know about asexuality and everything and I were skeptical this would not lessen my skepticism on the matter. Although clearly there was some emotion behind it. Not that it was a bad film or anything like that. But perhaps I am pretty aromantic or something and so just didn't get it.

Mimicking Sanity

I noticed the same thing, Cait.

However, I just assumed some of the responses and reactions were over exaggerated, in order to make it clear that there was a form of 'incompatibility'. Secondly, being a short film, I imagine they would have had to refrain from showing or explaining what was done 'behind the scenes' to (although ultimately unsuccessfully) keep the relationship stable, lest it take too long. Perhaps it wasn't mentioned since they may have thought that it wasn't the focus of the film. Maybe they just didn't know how it was done. Eh, I imagine only the actors and the director know why it wasn't included.

Ah, that wasn't an intended pun. 'Behind the scenes'.

Bleh.

Haha, my mind totally went there when you said behind the scenes too.

Yeah, short films are short, they don't have a lot of room for everything. I guess saying it in his interviewy part gets the point across as well. I think I'm more focused on atmosphere of stuff like that rather than the words people are saying though. That's why.

I still want to know what was in the bag. :)

Talk about not communicating right. but hey, been there.

I always tend to miss that jealousy instinct and can't stand it when a guy does have jealousy.

I like the little details like the fact that the asexual guy is about to say sex and then decides to say 'it'. Recognise that.

The hand-held camera is a bit of a pity.

The bit when she tries to seduce him is kinda forced. I don't think the actors know eachother well in real life.

For two people who supposedly love eachother, they seem very stoic anyway.

All together, thumbs up.

Rising Moon Droplet

It wasn't the best thing evah, but it was still awesome. Though it was so sad. :( I really felt for the guy and just wanted to give him a hug. XID

Thanks for sharing it. *saved to computer*

Violet_Loves_Iliona

I thought it was fantastic - thanks so much for making this film!

... and the boy was so CUTE! :cake:

Violet

• 5 weeks later...
Jillianimal

What the heck! I hear it but I can't see anything :mad: :(

Aww, I liked that!

Although sometimes I do wonder if sexuals really are that sex obsessed? :huh:

It kind of reminds me of my relationship with my ex boyfriend. I went on a sex strike after I realized I wasn't getting anything of it (this was before I knew about asexuality) and one day after about a month my boyfriend snapped and claimed he "needed" sex and to express his love for me physically, both of which were concepts that blew me away because I felt no "need" for sex and I found I could fully express my love for him in other ways.

Don't think i'll ever really understand the whole "need" thing. Ahh well *shrugs*

Poor guy :( and gosh he was pretty! :wub:

Violet_Loves_Iliona

There wasn't any sound for the first 5-10 seconds, but there is sound after that. You've tried adjusting the volume on the pop-up screen as well as on your computer, right?

Cheers :)

Violet

Jillianimal

There wasn't any sound for the first 5-10 seconds, but there is sound after that. You've tried adjusting the volume on the pop-up screen as well as on your computer, right?

Violet

The audio's fine, it's the video that isn't showing :[

Violet_Loves_Iliona

Violet

The audio's fine, it's the video that isn't showing :[

Ah, sorry - was tired and didn't read the post properly! :)

Maybe someone who knows how to do so could post it to YouTube?

In the meantime, I remember beign given a few options for which viewer to watch it on - from memory I chose the Apple option (I think), so have you tried using a couple fo different viewers?

Best of luck :)

• 4 months later...

Archived