Clay Aiken comes out as gay

dash

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityro...iken-yes-im-gay

Back-story, as I understand it: He strongly implies he's asexual and says he's never had a relationship. He gets widely attacked as being secretly gay and not admitting it, thus hurting the gay community. The asexual community goes "Wait wait, he's one of ours!" as lots of folks carry on that asexual people don't really exist anyway so he must be gay. Asexual people get offended at having this misconception publicly proclaimed again, take pride in finally having an asexual person achieve celebrity status, and hold out hope this will help asexual people achieve greater recognition in society.

And it turns out he's gay.

Which confirms for those doubters out there that yup, all "asexual" people are really closet gays and lesbians, just like Clay Aiken.

I feel like I was just shoved back into a closet. Way, way back behind the brooms and mops and cleaning supplies. Back to where, yet again, I "can't really exist".

Someone needs to step up to the plate and take his place as the first actually asexual celebrity, that's all there is to it!

Meh, no shock there. He was almost as obvious as Dumbledore.

:o I was just looking at a youtube of dumbledore singing Im super

you're physic

I don't see all the fuss (from an asexual point of view), if you're relying on celebrities to get the asexual message out, you're relying on the wrong people... Education and Visibility starts at home...you want people to know about asexuality tell the people you know first.

I don't see all the fuss (from an asexual point of view), if you're relying on celebrities to get the asexual message out, you're relying on the wrong people... Education and Visibility starts at home...you want people to know about asexuality tell the people you know first.

Oh, I do educate the people who know me. It's just that Clay Aiken generated a lot of fuss in a public way and brought asexuality out into the spotlight. The need for public figures representing asexual people, and positive (at least non-negative) public images of asexuality, does not negate the need for education at home and among our friends.

And I think... out of the whole world? This list should be much longer, and more than four should still be alive. :(

But thanks for sharing. :cake:

Chocolatelover18

Back-story, as I understand it: He strongly implies he's asexual and says he's never had a relationship. He gets widely attacked as being secretly gay and not admitting it, thus hurting the gay community. The asexual community goes "Wait wait, he's one of ours!" as lots of folks carry on that asexual people don't really exist anyway so he must be gay. Asexual people get offended at having this misconception publicly proclaimed again, take pride in finally having an asexual person achieve celebrity status, and hold out hope this will help asexual people achieve greater recognition in society.

And it turns out he's gay.

Which confirms for those doubters out there that yup, all "asexual" people are really closet gays and lesbians, just like Clay Aiken.

I feel like I was just shoved back into a closet. Way, way back behind the brooms and mops and cleaning supplies. Back to where, yet again, I "can't really exist".

Someone needs to step up to the plate and take his place as the first actually asexual celebrity, that's all there is to it!

Not suprise about Clay, it's like if Richard Simmons came out of the closet lol, but yeah, there's just not much famous asexuals, I found a few on wikipedia (if those are right) but they're not THAT famous,

At least now I can get back to disliking his music.

je_suis_napoleon

And I think... out of the whole world? This list should be much longer, and more than four should still be alive. :(

But thanks for sharing. :cake:

Yeah, and it can be a bit hard to tell with the ones who lived in the days when unmarried people would never admit to having sex. But still a nice list.

Hehe, on the upside, I know some fundie Claymates who are NOT going to be happy!

I actually had the same reaction as you, dash. :( I was really hoping that he would come out as asexual, but I'm also glad that he's finally comfortable with discussing his sexuality openly. :)

I thought you could be gay and asexual? :rolleyes:

You can. Clay may be gay and asexual, and only 'half' come out shall we say. The gender you find attractive tells people nothing about the way you find them attractive (eg sexually, romantically, physically etc).

But yeah I can see that the problem here has a lot to do with people's (limited) knoweldge of what asexuality can actually entail (ie, it doesn't automatically entail aromanticism, but people thinking it does ain't gonna help the cause!)

this thread - http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?sho...c=29199&hl= is the one you're referring to from earlier

in fact i never heard of the guy until i saw that thread

You can. Clay may be gay and asexual, and only 'half' come out shall we say. The gender you find attractive tells people nothing about the way you find them attractive (eg sexually, romantically, physically etc).

Yep, that how I remember it. :)

One of us should become a celebrity, its seems the easiest answer ;]

I was torn the whole time about him. he seemed to be gay and asexual, so i shall call him as such.

Believe me, I be workin' on it. Not very hard, admittedly, but... I be tryin'. ;)

potentialsurvivor

We don't need celebrities to legitimize our ways... we are who we are, and Clay is who he is.

I'm already famous for my obscurity.

And making stupid jokes.

Shocky... I like your jokes...

Anyway, yah know what I think, people? Clay is gay. Who the f--- cares?

Of course you can! :blush: But Clay Aiken doesn't mean homoromantic, me-thinks. :P

Anyway, yah know what I think, people? Clay is gay. Who the f--- cares?

I care, otherwise I would not have made this post.

The guy is so effeminate he certainly could not have been heterosexual and if he had come out and said he was asexual people would have just said that he didn't want people to know he was gay so he says he's gay and like he says he just wants people to stop asking.

I never thought he was asexual...

Archived