Dexter

Face

YEY! Dexter is finally being shown on free tv in England.

Watching it now. Just had the bit with him stating his opinions on sex. "So undignified".

It's great to have such a mainstream character sharing our views.

I'm so going to change some of my online personas to Dexter :twisted:

Welcome to the most awesome show ever! Loooove Dexter. Love love love...

Season 2 starts on Sunday evening. Can't wait :D

Season 2 is awesome!

Favourite part thus far

When his sister is getting on his nerves after moving in and his internal monogolue goes: "I will not kill my sister. I will not kill my sister. I will not kill my sister."

Haha! Classic.

I don't have cable or an antenna so I don't get to see it until I can download it. I just finished up season one. I loved it.

walkingthroughlifebackward

DEXTER IS MY HERO!!!

minus the whole killing-urge part, lol

AlexTheSane

I take it we are not talking about the cartoon, but I have not heard of anything else called "Dexter". Confused.

Nico-Nico Friendo
I take it we are not talking about the cartoon, but I have not heard of anything else called "Dexter". Confused.

You are thinking of "Dexter's Laboratory". "Dexter" is some kind of drama, I guess. I've never watched it.

Alex, here you go

WARNING: Contains some spoilers

Dexter Wiki

From the link; why he is such a popular character around here

Dexter considers himself emotionally divorced from the rest of humanity; in his narration, he often refers to "humans" as if he is not one of them. Dexter makes frequent references to an internal feeling of emptiness, and says he kills to feel alive. Dexter claims to have no feelings or conscience and that all of his emotional responses are part of a well-rehearsed act to conceal his true nature. He has no interest in romance or sex; he considers his relationship with Rita to be part of his "disguise." In the show he shows considerably more attachment and fondness for Rita than in the books. For example, in the first season he is afraid to have sex with her because he might lose her as a result. This also because Rita's ex-boyfriend was abusive to her.[8]; In the books he seems to view her more as a pet.

I saw two episodes, but my mom is freaked out by serial killers so I probably won't get to watch much more(that and I've already missed a few episodes which puts me out of the loop).

I like it, Dexter reminds me of a sociopath character I created a few years ago. I don't like the murder/torture scenes or the fact that there are uncut versions. It's, like, gratuitous violence and torture, and I don't think that something to be enjoyed.

Argh, I actually had access to a TV this week and was planning to watch this but I forgot!

• 4 weeks later...

DAMMIT! Why'd they have to go and make him have sex with his sponsor?! This has ruined it for a me a bit

:(

BrainDamage

Hey guys!

I don't watch Dexter. I started, but I left off. I guess I can stand the idea of people having sex but I generally can't stand the idea of violence, for whatever reason. ;)

Anyway, for your information & specially if you have a good internet connection at home, you can watch just about everything at:

www.surfthechannel.com

Enjoy!

I'd never heard of the show before this thread, but now I'm addicted. Thanks, guys, for sucking away what little was left of my free time. I've been catching up on alluc.com.

I watched the first episode but I think I'm too easily disturbed so I turned away whenever I thought something gross was going to be shown on screen. So...I guess Dexter isn't my kind of show. I cheered when I heard his view of sex, though.

uilleann_pipes_girl

I also watched the first episode, but... I just found Dexter to be an extremely unappealing character, so I didn't watch any more if it. I don't care if he is asexual, he's creepy and horrible and barely human (at least that was my impression from the one episode). So, no offense to anyone who loves it, but ugh. It wasn't the violence or disturbing images that turned me off, it was just the character. I need to be able to at least sympathize with the protagonist of whatever I'm watching or reading.

I didn't think I'd be able to sympathise with a serial killer either, but somehow they've made him likeable. Perhaps because in a way he's trying to figure himself out and you think maybe he'll stop killing people!

Yeah, I think the fact that he is so open with you as viewer, but so closed off to the other characters, that you sort of start to like him. It's like he trusts you by telling you is innermost thoughts, so you end up trusting and liking him! :lol:

It's great actually

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out, from people in the AVEN chat rooms, that Dexter does not remain asexual in the 2nd season. Dammit. I loved that part of his character!!!

Asterion Orestes
I'd much rather asexuality not be portrayed by a mentally wounded serial killer.

I hasten to agree.

I just found out, from people in the AVEN chat rooms, that Dexter does not remain asexual in the 2nd season.

Maybe it's just as well. Personally I wish Dorxter would off himself. Better yet, the West needs to defeat the Evil Eye (network).

Dexter is great. I have all the books (third one not so great) and I'll probably get the DVDs at some point. New book and TV series in August too I think.

• 3 weeks later...

I am loving Dexter so far, still in first season down here in the backwoods!!! Didn't know it was based on books tho'. Can anyone tell me who the author is? I would like to read them, books are always better than their adaptations.

I do think it's a shame that the only prominent asexual (or at least "uninterested in sex") character on mainstream TV just happens to be a serial killer. Not exactly the kind of publicity we need or want. Some narrow minded people out there are bound to associate disinterest in sex with homicidal tendencies because of this show. :angry:

First Series ended in the UK this week - WOW!!!!!

Pretty good show and I never saw the twist coming. Can't wait until Season 2 starts.

Archived