The system for electing an Admin - the poll

Amcan

How should admins be elected?  

1. 1.

• Stick with the current system - voted by admods
    • Have them elected by all AVEN members
    • I have no opinion one way or the other/unsure
    • I have a better idea (see comments)

Okay the current system is that an admins nominate themselves and are then voted for by the admod team.

Some people have expressed a dissatisfaction with this.

So I am throwing it out to the members.

Whilst the voting system we use to elect admods may change I would like to point out all admins must still be mods before they can be elected.

Please feel to discuss as appropriate.

This poll will close 10 days from now.

I think the third option should be removed if possible. People who are unsure should just abstain from voting.

Option 3 gives the opportunity to test the relative strength of the vote results. Good democracy.

I do propose to the admods to make a clear distinction of when a vote is mandatory or for guidance.

I find that self constituing admod group seems appropriate if combined with the vote among the admods being visible - e.g. in the Mod or Announcements fora. Besides being my opinion I think this is also more secure.

I propose to the admods to consider limited election periods as has been mentioned for the Project Team (6 months). Same set of election rules could be applied systematically for both groups. Not like being kicked out after 6 months - merely having the mandate renewed.

I finally propose that whatever rules are in effect are made more visible and easily accessible at one and only one location by adding them to http://asexuality.org/discussion/faq.php - together with all other forum wide rules.

I do think a visible vote is an excellent idea.

Is the PT concidered part of the Admod team for the purpose of voting in admins? If not, could they be in the future?

The PT is a serperate entity to the admods and on AVEN they have the same rights and privilages as all members.

Likewise the admod team don't get a say in what projects the PT tackles or how they tackle them.

Hallucigenia

Yeah, as a member of the PT, I don't really feel comfortable being randomly given even more authority than what I've been elected to wield. I'm flattered that you trust the PT that much, but it feels kind of dishonest for all the people who voted for me because they trusted me to do a certain job and not horn in on the admods' jurisdiction. So no.

The PT is a serperate entity to the admods and on AVEN they have the same rights and privilages as all members.

Likewise the admod team don't get a say in what projects the PT tackles or how they tackle them.

Ah well, it was worth a try. I thought it would be a nice compromise between keeping it just for the admods and openning it up to everyone.

Well I'm new here so I don't think my opinion will actually count for much but...

I think "Stick with the current system - voted by admods". I think its the current staff's prerogative who they give potentially very damaging powers to. Also, I think who the admins are has relatively little impact on members; staff have to work with them.

Well thats my opinon anyway

Well I'm new here so I don't think my opinion will actually count for much but...

I think "Stick with the current system - voted by admods". I think its the current staff's prerogative who they give potentially very damaging powers to. Also, I think who the admins are has relatively little impact on members; staff have to work with them.

Well thats my opinon anyway

I am new, too, but was thinking the exact same thing as Snax-tan.

For those of you who are new, one of the main reasons this issue has come up is the fact that we once had a say in who becomes an admin but the admods decided to take that right away from us without our permission.

Silly Green Monkey

Weren't admins once appointed by AVENguy? Wasn't AVENguy once the only admin?

For those of you who are new, one of the main reasons this issue has come up is the fact that we once had a say in who becomes an admin but the admods decided to take that right away from us without our permission.

Good to know. thanks for the forsight

Yes he was, but if you read this thread (CLICK) you will see where he himself said that admins should be elected by the forum in general.

Ummm Ataraxia weren't you actually a member of the admod team at that point?

Therefore weren't you one of the ones who made that desiscion?

I have said this before you never raised the issue whilst part of the admod team. Nor when we have had full admins elected by the admod team.

For newbies the reason it was 'taken away' was because the last admin election had one candidate. It kinda seemed a pointless poll.

After the admin was was 'elected' by that poll resigned (he was the GMT/Europe admin) I was the only mod in the GMT timezone and we always need cover for that timezone/Europe I would have been the only candidate and therefore a poll would again have been pointless.

That was how it came about not becuase the admods felt that AVEN members weren't qualified but because we rarely get enough candidates these dates to really make a poll worthwhile.

I don't think so. He left admindom before we became mods (Amcan and I became mods the same day), and had a brief period as a mod, but I don't think he was a memeber of the team during that discussion.

I was part of the admod team and I did support the idea of having a mod become admin but I did not support doing away with general elections.

Also, as you said, there was only one candidate. In instances like that then I agree that an election would be superfluous.

In most groups, the owners of the site choose their own admins. Perhaps especially in Yahoo! groups but also in the php fora as well.

The owners and creators might know who would best carry out their desired purpose of the group.

AVEN is unusual in that it elects mods and is contemplating electing admins.

In all of the other groups to which I belong, am a mod, or created and am the owner, all mods and admins are appointed.

Dusk or Dawn

Yes he was, but if you read this thread (CLICK) you will see where he himself said that admins should be elected by the forum in general.

I clicked on the link. That posting is very old. Whar does the aven guy think today? I would like to know before I vote.

In most groups, the owners of the site choose their own admins. Perhaps especially in Yahoo! groups but also in the php fora as well.

The owners and creators might know who would best carry out their desired purpose of the group.

AVEN is unusual in that it elects mods and is contemplating electing admins.

In all of the other groups to which I belong, am a mod, or created and am the owner, all mods and admins are appointed.

Thbis has been my experience outside of AVEN too. I aslo wonder if this is why no-one could give examples of how mods and admins were e;cted at other fora - because it's a very rare thing to occur. AVEN is very much different in it's election policy.

In fact I have aslo been to boards where there are no mods as such just a few people with admin privilages, those running the site.

Ataraxia wrote:

I was part of the admod team and I did support the idea of having a mod become admin but I did not support doing away with general elections.

Then why not speak up before now? There has been ample opportunity.

It does seem odd to change my behavior suddenly, doesn't it.

When I first came here I was very shy and unsure of myself. I feared that if I rocked the boat people would despise me. I have since become much more confident in my views and care much less what people think of me.

Quote:

Ataraxia wrote:

and on my end, I never spoke up sooner cause I was the impression that there had been a poll of general members that led to this decision

One possibility would be to run it like the PT elections and have mods nominated explain why they are sutiable.

ok what about something like this *tries to kill 2 birds with one stone*

in order to better serve the members of AVEN, those wanting to go for an admin job can fill out the survey type thing the people running for the PT did. THey would be subjected to questions and what not. That way we know that the admin going in is going to be someone who wants to help. But, we can limit the candidates to only the mod pool.

those wanting to go for modship would have to do the same thing, except the candidate pool would be open to members who meet the post/month qualifications.

The Evil Cashew

wasn;t the issue really that they jsut wanted the voting open to all isntead of just the mods voting...

so why go through having electiopn threads and questionnairs if we don;t need one (though we can have them?) when then issues was realyl WHO WAS ALLOWED to vote

i don;t really see why this is still being debated.... if aven wants to vote for their admins from the mod pool.. and the majority says that then fine!

is it that big of a deal? istead of 15 poeple viting we have 50...

~Cashew

I have no problem with letting the membership vote for their admins.

I DO think that the candidates should come from the existing pool of mods, though, simply because an admin needs to get some experence first.

I really like the idea of "campaign speeches" as well.

I think they should be a normal, expected part of ALL of our elections.

-GB

I really like the idea of "campaign speeches" as well.

I think they should be a normal, expected part of ALL of our elections.

I definitelly agree. I would also support a set series of maybe 4-5 short answer questions for candidates to post answers to, just to get the ball rolling. Background, interrests, relevant experience, reason for applying - that sort of thing.

I'd agree with Greybird. I think giving reasons why you want to admin and/or mod would be good and help people make decisions on who to vote for. And I think it's good that admins come from mods, since they'd already have experience.

Anyway, I really like the idea of all AVEN members being able to vote for admins.

Archived